Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SC2 Single Player Campaign Discussion [ USE SPOLIERS!!! ]

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

ah balls!
    I thought you had to kill him and then take out his base while he recovers. Never thought of letting him fight some units at my base then stalker/zealot rushing his base

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

ah balls!
    I thought you had to kill him and then take out his base while he recovers. Never thought of letting him fight some units at my base then stalker/zealot rushing his base
    not sure if you can kill the 3 prisons while he's alive, but you can definitely kill his Protoss

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

enough with the spoiler tags :mad: ... Mod ! Edit the name of the thread (warning contains spoilers !)

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

I think you meant
    Tyrant^ wrote: »
    enough with the spoiler tags :mad: ... Mod ! Edit the name of the thread (warning contains spoilers !)

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 81,545 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Tyrant^ wrote: »
    Negative: not everybody has progressed to the same point in the campaign. I could need to talk about mission X but not want to hear a god damn thing about mission Y

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 daithiordave

I played all way through on brutal was on last mission last night, i found hybrid easy enough on third or fourth try,
    i went for the robo on left as soon as i could, and pumped immortals whenever i could afford and placed 4 cannons around the one pylon, 3 immortals and a few stakers allways there, rest in base but its close enough to be able to rush all units back and forth, while if you had gone for dt's as well its a lot harder, and not worth it, just get it at end for mission completeness.

Right side of base at ramp i placed 5-6 cannons and massed stalkers out of 4 gateways, pushed the left side with 5 immortals and 20 stalkers, cant remember exactly, killed that base and went straight for the final bridge he was coming out, and held him there , the immortals in front. All the while rebuilding a smaller force then went right for dt structure and on through the right base. Joined forces and did final push through there last base.

Its very doable if you build up a decent force first, but once you get enough stalkers , 3 immortals in front can take the damage from the hybrid easy as long as you pull back the unit he is focusing on, he will go for another immortal if you position them right, and if ye have 5-6 he's easy enough, the issue i was having was when they attacked with the hybrid at same time on your base early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

there is a bug in that stage
    i accidentally used to stuck the Hybrid in a small space near bridge where he came out from :pac: basically i was annoyed by the sh!t out of his constant respawn and harass so i decided to bring an army to kill his base, you know he can do the blink and he blinked into this small space beside the bridge and stucked himself there lol i enjoyed the peaceful 20minutes game afterward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Finished "In Utter Darkness" on Brutal I facepalmed at how easy it was with a better strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭death1234567

Anyone else find the single player too easy on normal but too hard on hard setting? If I play the levels on normal its a procession but if I play on hard I play the level and get it 75% done until it all falls apart. It seems as if I would need to play each level twice, first run just to learn the level and important locations and then second run to actually have a chance to complete it. Anyone know a good strategy guide that would give you some hints on where to build, what to build etc. for each level?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Anyone else find the single player too easy on normal but too hard on hard setting? If I play the levels on normal its a procession but if I play on hard I play the level and get it 75% done until it all falls apart. It seems as if I would need to play each level twice, first run just to learn the level and important locations and then second run to actually have a chance to complete it. Anyone know a good strategy guide that would give you some hints on where to build, what to build etc. for each level?

i believe thats what they intended, to give the game better replay value. and there is a brutal level, they lure me to play brutal mode by that beautiful gamer portrait :pac: (still working on it:o)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

seraphimvc wrote: »
    i believe thats what they intended, to give the game better replay value. and there is a brutal level, they lure me to play brutal mode by that beautiful gamer portrait :pac: (still working on it:o)
    Got mine just there! **** the last mission, no Hive Mind emulator, no planetary fortress and I killed off the Nydus worms so had Broodlords all over. Ugh, I cba getting every campaign achievement. :|

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

how do I start a new campaign? all I see when I go to the menu is continue campaign, I want to get that
    secret level

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

the button beside continue campaign?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

:(

I have been taking my sweet time with this campaign. Finished Nova there Where you unlock Banshees
    And eventually I just gave up! I built as many Banshees as I could, got merc vikings and sent my buildings to the farrrrr edge of the map. Waited until the Sunrise had vaporised everything one the map but the vault, a couple cannons, and some phoenix's and just gunned it. Still only made it with 4 banshees alive out of 20, as they managed to hold a cloak against the last phoenix. My last barracks was a little singed...

And how about the Folson Prison mission? Loved it.

What really cheesed me off though is you finish nova, and that story arc,
    and you only see the action clips of Raynor and Tychus gunning down the corridors! What about an old-school Facility mission? Heh? Would that have been too much to ask for?!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

Mission 24: Gates of Hell

Well I have just arrived on
    Char. Just did Gates of Hell and was able to get all achievements on my 2nd attempt. I played until the 10 pods landed noting their location then restarted after missing one of the last ones. Found it easy enough to get them all with good placement of my mainly (marine/marauder) forces. Slowly build up my bunkers and siege tanks back at base for self defense.I completed it by going to where the banshee/helion pod lands. Used cruisers and Jacksons Revenges to clear the cliff above it. Airlifted my 2 Thors and 4 tanks onto the clifff, cleared part of the Zerg base then airdropped down to kill the Nydus Worms. Saved me going throught the Zerg base.

After the mission
    you find yourself in the Warfield Forward base which has a handy 'Archives' section where you can review and replay all the missions you have done. Unfortunately I spotted that I have at least 3 missions to replay as I got NO achievements for them, obviously finiished them offline. Bummer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

im playing through the campaign on brutal mode,
    and im just about to fight kerrigan on char.

but seriously, the only mission i cant finish is engine of destruction where you steal the odin..

im going insane trying to beat it!
    they keep killing my scv's and my science vessel's!

but seriously, the only mission i cant finish is engine of destruction where you steal the odin..

are they hugging the odin? Keep them back behind him a good ways. On Hard I waited until he was done clearing a base before I sent in SCVs. Threw a lot of mercs into that mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Xios

A couple tanks, lotsa wraiths and vikings should do it, be sure to go in with the wraiths before the odin and clear out any medivacs, ravens or battlecruisers in there.

1st and 2nd bases are easy, 3rd base is quite tricky, you need the tanks there, keep them close to the odin.

4th base, you'll need the vikings + wraiths + tanks.

5th base, you'll need everything to take down the battlecruisers fast, stimed marines work well, but use what ya go.

Save frequently and memorize the attack patterns after each save.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

I'm replaying the campaign to get the achievements I missed 1st time around. Am having a lot of trouble with Zero Hour. Want to destroy 4 hatcheries on Hard. Just can't do it.

I build 2 bunkers early on, so total of 2 at each bridge. Then extra SCVs, armour upgrade and tech lab. I run out to get the 1st bunch of stragglers. I then build up a force of 20 marines and 3-4 medics then go out and get the 2nd bunch of stragglers. At this stage I emptied 2 bunkers to reinforce my assault force to 30 (1/1 upgrade) with 6 medics and go for the Western base. (By this point i have 3 rax)

Edit: Tried it again after posting this and managed it. Murphys Law and all that!!

I put 2 bunkers in front of the ramp of the western zerg base. Had approx 35/6 marine/medics. The bunkers absorbed the brunt of an attack as it left the base,I immediately counterattacked,emptying the bunkers as I went in. So had 40+ marines, lost 20, remainder cleaned out the base. Waited 4 minutes and they rebuilt a hatch. Killed it then decided to go wandering. Cleared out the zerg on the map in a counterclockwise direction, back in base at 2.00, just in time to get overrun!!! Got a bit cocky at the end,should have gone strright home after getting the achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

On the secret level did you guys see that little creature dressed as a marine on one of the asteroids? At the very top left when you briefly go outside, he's just sitting there dancing around. Odd

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq0KacEvpT0

there he is

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Sorry i apprecite this is probably slightly off topic but was i the only one disappointed by the missions.

The main reason for this is
    there are no (bar a few of the earlier ones) where you have to wipe the eneny off the map/kill all enemy units. Sorry i appreciate Blizzard were eagar to put a quirk on the standard fight to the death "model" that most RTS's have put personnaly i just feel they've moved too far away from that and as a result none of the missions really suck you in.
    Don't get me wrong i loved the game and amn't for a second sorry i bought it but jsut one or two of the later miossions with this requirement would have been nice.

I'm just a little curious to know if anyone else shared my view or whether i'm just a bit odd expecting it to fit a standard mould which isn't really Blizzard's style

Advertisement