Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quads on Lugnaquilla

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Enduro

Needler wrote: »
    As for the quad bikes how hard is it to bring a few shovels of earth and a few pebbles to wherever the "damage" is allegedly happening and fill it in once a year? rather than banishing an entire hobby to a few dedicated pay-per-use tracks

Who do you expect to bring these shovels of earth and pebbles to repair the damage caused by quad bikes, or to protect sensitive areas from quad bike damage? How much of this have you done yourself so far?

Quadbikers and scramblers seem to be behave like locusts in the wild... they descend on an area/trail, use it until it until its so badly damaged that it is beyond even their own use, and move on to exploit a fresh area, leaving enormous destruction behind. At least the dedicated quad bike tracks are kept useable by and for quad bikers.

And just to compare to other recreational users. Mountain Meitheil is a voluntary body (mainly of walkers) who create and repair walking trails in the mountains to protect the mountains from damage caused by erosion. Mountain bike clubs create and maintain a large amount of dedicated mountain bike trails (with their main problem being to hide them well enough so that they are not discovered and destroyed by locust motorbike scramblers). Both groups are concious of their environmental responsiblities and do something about it themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

Enduro wrote: »
    Who do you expect to bring these shovels of earth and pebbles to repair the damage caused by quad bikes, or to protect sensitive areas from quad bike damage? How much of this have you done yourself so far?

Quadbikers and scramblers seem to be behave like locusts in the wild... they descend on an area/trail, use it until it until its so badly damaged that it is beyond even their own use, and move on to exploit a fresh area, leaving enormous destruction behind. At least the dedicated quad bike tracks are kept useable by and for quad bikers.

And just to compare to other recreational users. Mountain Meitheil is a voluntary body (mainly of walkers) who create and repair walking trails in the mountains to protect the mountains from damage caused by erosion. Mountain bike clubs create and maintain a large amount of dedicated mountain bike trails (with their main problem being to hide them well enough so that they are not discovered and destroyed by locust motorbike scramblers). Both groups are concious of their environmental responsiblities and do something about it themselves.

Maybe the quad bikers could bring a few up themselves. I think the damage done by quad bikes is greatly exaggerated, any of the salt of the earth lads I saw quad biking recently weren't doing any damage.

If a little fart of a thing on four little wheels rolling over a fairly compacted path are doing so much damage to a mountain then I wonder how there are any mountains left

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Maybe the quad bikers could bring a few up themselves. I think the damage done by quad bikes is greatly exaggerated, any of the salt of the earth lads I saw quad biking recently weren't doing any damage.
    You keep trying to make out that quad bikers are all "salt of the earth" types being oppressed by ecomentalists which isn't the case.

The damage is obvious in the areas affected, and some of the photos are linked to on this thread. Here's a quad damaging a national monument (the ancient cairn on Muckish), proudly displayed on Youtube.

Again, whining here isn't going to make a difference. Go to your politician and convince him that your rights are being grossly affected by not being allowed to destroy the tiny part of the country that is off limits to quads for the protection of the fragile environment.

hmmm wrote: »
    You keep trying to make out that quad bikers are all "salt of the earth" types being oppressed by ecomentalists which isn't the case.

The damage is obvious in the areas affected, and some of the photos are linked to on this thread. Here's a quad damaging a national monument (the ancient cairn on Muckish), proudly displayed on Youtube.

Again, whining here isn't going to make a difference. Go to your politician and convince him that your rights are being grossly affected by not being allowed to destroy the tiny part of the country that is off limits to quads for the protection of the fragile environment.

A national monument? could have been any ould hape of rocks and the few that fell down can easily be thrown back up. nobody cares what order the rocks were put there

It might be a few areas now but soon every place will be off limits over environment and safety crap, politicians are worthless creatures who just do what the EU tells them and nobody can tell the EU what to do.

I have never met a bad quad biker, all seems to come down to "scumbags" making noise and having more fun than us peaceful timid environmentally concious hill walkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dizzle with ur frizzle

i was once before up on my own quad with a brother in law with him on his own, we traveled to top and came back through a valley were from what we saw, that no walkers or quads have gone, we crossed a few rivers and went home.. we had great fun, not once did we tear up anywhere, ive a new set of bear claws on mine, (wide grippy tyres). and i still didn tear up the landscape. i agree with people complaining about quad bikers tearing up lug as for i walked it yesterday for the first time and saw on top of lug where some little **** (excuse my language) thought it be fun to do a donut. i dont agree one bit with that carry on.. and the likes of that person should be reported. but i think its not fair to judge everyone on a quad like you would of that person doing donuts. we can all talk the talk when it comes to who should and who should not be on lug. yes it is against the law to be up there on a quad. in the next coming weeks, myself and the brother in law plan to cross some more of lug on our quads. i seen loads of pictures on google maps and i would like to see them. im not into flying up and down, spinning and tearing up lug, between myself and my father, we farm just over 300 acres, ive lots of fields to tear up in the winter at home. we just want to travel across the very same as the hill walkers, taking our time, enjoying the scenery and ourselves. Is this still wrong to do so???

• Advertisement

yes it is against the law to be up there on a quad. in the next coming weeks, myself and the brother in law plan to cross some more of lug on our quads. Is this still wrong to do so???
    Yes. You're saying on the one hand that quadbiker are all being judged unfairly, and on the other hand saying you're going to break the law by driving up Lug. What's it to be?

Also, if I see you on Lug I'm going to report the number plate of your jeep and trailer if I see it. How am I supposed to know you are a "considerate" quadbiker, and not the guy who was doing the donuts?

Yes. You're saying on the one hand that quad riders are all being judged unfairly, and on the other hand saying you're going to break the law by driving up Lug. What's it to be?

If he isn't doing any harm up there why not?

The law is just a load of arse written by politicians far detached from reality. Even the guards and the warden know this. Maybe it was made illegal by John Gormley (another nutter) or to appease a bunch of hillwalkers who think their hobby is more important than others

Also, if I see you on Lug I'm going to report the number plate of your jeep and trailer if I see it. How am I supposed to know you are a "considerate" quadbiker, and not the guy who was doing the donuts?

Yea and I have some underage drinkers to report. Will ya just mind your own business. Live and let live lad, not "i'm going to make sure everybody sticks to the law no matter how stupid the law actually is"

I'm not wasting any more time on this.

A national monument? could have been any ould hape of rocks and the few that fell down can easily be thrown back up. nobody cares what order the rocks were put there

Well. That's me convinced.

• Advertisement

Yes. You're saying on the one hand that quadbiker are all being judged unfairly, and on the other hand saying you're going to break the law by driving up Lug. What's it to be?

hang on there big lad, what im saying is, if im not doing any harm to both the mountain or hillwalkers, what is the big deal. how you will know is you wont see me flying arond. do you think by telling me that you will report me will make me not go up. ive no prob explaining myself to any guard or that, quad users are being judged unfairly, and yes, i will say it again, it is against the law. and yes, you are right, it will be breaking the law. but cut some slack here. if you hill walkers dont want to meet in middle then dont. but by you not wanting to, and by sticking you noses up to us, well i wont but others might say, screw the hill walkers, so the hill walkers are prob making things worse. i dont mean to be smart when i say this. but how bout you mind your own business.. if you want to be snotty about this, well dont do it over boards.ie, im no hard man if thats the impression im giving, but i wont have some hill walker who thinks they are the law look down on me.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

its not the hill walkers that write the laws , if there were no laws society would break down , say the rules of the road - you may think red lights , yield signs etc are stupid , and that pedestrians made the rules of the road, there would be alot of carnage. Fair enough if you are not ripping up the side of a mountain and are using proper tyres etc, but it still against the law for quads in certain areas and i agree with it. The damage the do the gound is pretty bad, and it doesn't just fix itself, and you don't see them putting the work back in, like mountain meitheal.

duckysauce wrote: »
    its not the hill walkers that write the laws , if there were no laws society would break down , say the rules of the road - you may think red lights , yield signs etc are stupid , and that pedestrians made the rules of the road, there would be alot of carnage. Fair enough if you are not ripping up the side of a mountain and are using proper tyres etc, but it still against the law for quads in certain areas and i agree with it. The damage the do the gound is pretty bad, and it doesn't just fix itself, and you don't see them putting the work back in, like mountain meitheal.

Ah sure it's only against Gormley's law. That ecomaniac people decided to give a chance for some reason and he done more damage in his time than any fella on a quad bike with all the draconian good for nothing nonsense laws he and his party made. But he and his party are finished now so might as well turn a blind eye to any of the sh1te he brought in

But who cares about the bloody law, if someone's clearly not doing anything bad then why not leave them the feck alone?

But who cares about the bloody law, if someone's clearly not doing anything bad then why not leave them the feck alone?

Says it all, don't fall off your quad.

Says it all, don't fall off your quad.

I don't even have a bloody quad. Used to be a hill walker but after reading this thread I cant associate myself with such stuck up eco warriors who want to do everything by the book and look down on other people's hobbies

The law is alltogether too pervasive these days. Can't even go outside in the woods in the middle of nowhere without some fecker in Dublin writing rules how you should go about doing that

I don't even have a bloody quad. Used to be a hill walker but after reading this thread I cant associate myself with such stuck up eco warriors who want to do everything by the book and look down on other people's hobbies

The law is alltogether too pervasive these days. Can't even go outside in the woods in the middle of nowhere without some fecker in Dublin writing rules how you should go about doing that

That law about the woods you are moaning about is for the north of ireland.

its not the hill walkers that write the laws , if there were no laws society would break down , say the rules of the road - you may think red lights , yield signs etc are stupid , and that pedestrians made the rules of the road, there would be alot of carnage. Fair enough if you are not ripping up the side of a mountain and are using proper tyres etc,

Thank you.. i do agree 100% with hill walkers complaining about people tearing up lug, and other hills at that. but i have no interest in doing them things, like ive previously said, i have 300 acres at home to do so.. i wouldnt go to the extent of carting my quad to lug to do exactly what i can do here at home. i want to see about traveling the wicklow mountains on my quad. i know they can be noisy but they arent that bad, really like.. id like to think i could come onto boards.ie to even ask for directions cause i have not got a clue. im sure when walkers read this they might laugh and tell me to go and sh*te...

Yea and I have some underage drinkers to report. Will ya just mind your own business. Live and let live lad, not "i'm going to make sure everybody sticks to the law no matter how stupid the law actually is"

fair juice lad!!! ;)

Thank you.. i do agree 100% with hill walkers complaining about people tearing up lug, and other hills at that. but i have no interest in doing them things, like ive previously said, i have 300 acres at home to do so.. i wouldnt go to the extent of carting my quad to lug to do exactly what i can do here at home. i want to see about traveling the wicklow mountains on my quad. i know they can be noisy but they arent that bad, really like.. id like to think i could come onto boards.ie to even ask for directions cause i have not got a clue. im sure when walkers read this they might laugh and tell me to go and sh*te...

don't have a clue what you are talking about here , ask for directions ??

Used to be a hill walker but after reading this thread I cant associate myself with such stuck up eco warriors

This thread keeps giving.

Another sensible point.

I used to love walking but an anonymous poster on the world wide web annoyed me so much I decided to hate it!

• Advertisement

don't have a clue what you are talking about here , ask for directions ??

sorry, what i mean is, ive seen places such as lakes, sites, old buildings, lakes etc etc on internet. how to get to these to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭irishtear

ASK,ASK ,:rolleyes:just ASK !!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

sorry, what i mean is, ive seen places such as lakes, sites, old buildings, lakes etc etc on internet. how to get to these to see them.

With a map and a good pair of hiking boots!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I've been off line for a while due to the birth of my son, hence I didn't catch this when the thread was resurrected.

This thread doesn't serve any purpose other than cat fighting, and considering the headaches it's caused in the past, I'm locking it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement