Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get out of contract (Meteor)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Just a warning to all, I got accidentally landed with a 170 euro cancellation charge, watch your accounts online before you get a surprise in the post, or in your bank account. The cancellations number sorted it quickly for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Yeah I went to PAYG, then ported over to three and they've charged me a hundred quid. Sneaky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 droidman

elven wrote: »
    Yeah I went to PAYG, then ported over to three and they've charged me a hundred quid. Sneaky.

And did you have to pay it and can they do that? I swapped to payg as well but apart from being told I was swapped over they didn't mention that you have to stay on payg with them etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Well they've sent out a billpay bill that just has "Cancellation: €100" on it which will automatically be taken from my account. I called up to dispute it and was told "it's because you ported to three" but the more i think about it the more they can't do this because at the point where i ported, i was on PAYG and therefore was not on a contract, so how can they charge me on my billpay account? I'm going to have to ring and argue again today. They're just being chancers and making it up as they go along tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Pimp Ninja wrote: »
    Was on to them last week on 1800 222085 and was told pretty much the same thing as everybody else in this thread.
    Agent on the phone was polite and courteous and understood exactly what the request was.

I was advised that over the phone, I can be moved to any of the lite plans without penalty, but will not get the free meteor to meteor calls and texts.

If I wish to get a lite plan with the calls and texts included, I must first change to PAYG which must be instructed to them in writing, and an email will be sufficient.
    After being changed to PAYG, I must then go into one of the Meteor Stores to sign up to the plan to get the free meteor to meteor calls and texts.

I've just fired off the email, so here is hoping nothing untoward goes wrong.
    So to continue the story. I had no response to the email so followed it up with a phone call a few days later. On discussing with the agent all was confirmed and an agreed date to switch 24/08 was agreed. - the reason for agreeing the date was this was the end of my billing period.

I called again yesterday to confirm the switch and was told by another agent I could go straight to the billpay smart lite 30 euro plan with included meteor to meteor stuff without calling into a store.

My meteor online seems to show me as a payg customer, but does state that I am on the smart lite plan.

Looks good so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Thank you boards, only got my phone in June and was paying 35 a month.

Just called the 1850 number and asked for the lite plan. No hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭root69

Well they've sent out a billpay bill that just has "Cancellation: €100" on it which will automatically be taken from my account. I called up to dispute it and was told "it's because you ported to three" but the more i think about it the more they can't do this because at the point where i ported, i was on PAYG and therefore was not on a contract, so how can they charge me on my billpay account? I'm going to have to ring and argue again today. They're just being chancers and making it up as they go along tbh.

Keep us updated of your experience

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Are you dealing with cancellations dept or customer service? It doesn't even matter whether you did go PAYG or Three, you're legal right was to opt out, you might argue about looking for the handset back (which they stopped trying) but a cancellation charge is impossible...

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Finn Dub

Has anyone managed to cancel their contract since the 22nd August? I saw it mentioned somewhere in the thread that you needed to ring before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Finn Dub wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to cancel their contract since the 22nd August? I saw it mentioned somewhere in the thread that you needed to ring before then.
    I believe that they announced the changes on the 22nd July and said the changes would come into effect on the 22nd August, giving customers a month to opt out.

Yet if it wasn't for Boards I never would have heard about it so it seems unfair if they don't allow you to opt out after the 22nd considering you just found out about it.

It's hardly up to you to check every day for changes to your contract, we should be notified directly!

• Advertisement
Advertisement