Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hundred mile week dream.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

10 Miles

Went out to do an 8:30 pace 10 mile but then decided to add the fields of the Curragh in as part of it. Running across the grass where there was no paths slowed me a bit. I think that I will try the long weekend runs there if it is dry but might avoid when trying to run a fast pace. Finished in Newbridge at 84:05 for the run so happy with that. Makes me fairly confident of breaking the 80min mark in the Park in a few weeks time.

Had an absolutely lovely chocoate milk drink after. Very chilled as well which made it extra nice.
    Anyway I enjoyed the run and felt good. Will try to push on now for the rest of the week. Hope to get a 5 mile from Heuston to work tomorrow morning and another 10 miler in tomorrow evening.

Thursday morn 5 miler

Not such a nice run. A good pace but I had forgotton that most of it is cement footpaths. Only the mile up and down the canal is tarmac.
    Might explain the stress fracture when I was doing a lot of milage on this run last Jan.
    So I will be getting off train at ParkWest next week and hitting the canal path for early morning runs instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

You're a head case, keep it up :D I'll be following this log. Good luck.

Flat packs always take way longer to assemble than you think. I hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

Thursday morn 5 miler

Not such a nice run. A good pace but I had forgotton that most of it is cement footpaths. Only the mile up and down the canal is tarmac.
    Might explain the stress fracture when I was doing a lot of milage on this run last Jan.
    So I will be getting off train at ParkWest next week and hitting the canal path for early morning runs instead.

I thought I recognised you at about 7.15am this morning.....

Looking fit and fresh so you were!

Thurs Eve 6.3 Mile

Meant to get out as soon as I got home from work but started reading a Travis McGee novel. I bought all 21 of them recently on ebay and they are brilliant.

Anyway guilt eventually won out and I did a quick (?) loop of Roseberry.
    Mostly just over the 8:30 so quick enough for me. I think I have gotten quicker in the last few months. I am putting it down to a combination of the veggie diet and losing a bit of weight.
    But maybe its just because I let the hair grow long? Who knows?

Oh and that would have put you coming in Emmet Road, RAL3. Wasn't taking much notice but presume you were driving and not running yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

Thurs Eve 6.3 Mile

Meant to get out as soon as I got home from work but started reading a Travis McGee novel. I bought all 21 of them recently on ebay and they are brilliant.

Anyway guilt eventually won out and I did a quick (?) loop of Roseberry.
    Mostly just over the 8:30 so quick enough for me. I think I have gotten quicker in the last few months. I am putting it down to a combination of the veggie diet and losing a bit of weight.
    But maybe its just because I let the hair grow long? Who knows?

Oh and that would have put you coming in Emmet Road, RAL3. Wasn't taking much notice but presume you were driving and not running yourself?

Yeh, driving, you were past me before I copped it was you.

I liked the retro earphones.....

Fri 6.5 Miles

Still trying to figure out a 7 mile loop but I still like this run. Good hills etc.
    Averaged 8:35 pace so was probably going out a bit quick.
    Feeling my right leg on the front right but it calmed down after I cleaned up.
    Two more long runs this weekend. Well hopefully. I think that I am feeling the pace from last week now. Still next week will be a lot easier.
    So 28.8 miles so far this week.

Right leg was sore Saturday morn so I took the day off resting. Still sore now. Feels fine for running but would probably just mess it up if I ran. Lots of stretching required now and only running on grass for a while me thinks.

Monday Jog 5.75 miles

Not on grass but did avoid cement. Leg felt okay today, a bit twingey but okay so I decided to chance the run. Took it hand and it went fine. Wouldn't like to have pushed the pace though so kept it around 9 min pace.
    Delighted afterwards to have done it. Missing a two LSE weekend completely really hacked me off but at least I am running now even if I will have to take it handy enough.
    Hopefully I will be fine for an attempt at a 10K pb next Saturday in London.

Wed Run 9 Mile=Frozen Peas

Went out to do a nice handy paced run of 6 -10 miles depending on how I felt. And after the usual loop around the country lanes of Roseberry/Hawksfield I felt good so decided to throw in a loop of the town.
    Speeded up and just on the 8.50 mark I felt the muscle in my front right leg tighten again. Jogged on to the 9 miles but was worried about it.
    Have the frozen bag of peas from the freezer on it now and also elevated but its a bit of a nuisance with a 10K race on Saturday.
    I played 5 a side last night and it was fine hence the bit of a gallop tonight.
    I will try 5 or so tomorrow and definitely take it handy this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I played 5 a side last night and it was fine hence the bit of a gallop tonight.

Don't want to be a kill-joy, but is that the best idea a few weeks out from Dingle? You've put in some awesome training for this race and it'd be a shame to ruin it with a niggle from football. (Just coming from my own experience where I'm always in bits after 5 a side!)

xebec wrote: »
    Don't want to be a kill-joy, but is that the best idea a few weeks out from Dingle? You've put in some awesome training for this race and it'd be a shame to ruin it with a niggle from football. (Just coming from my own experience where I'm always in bits after 5 a side!)
    I know but for once I didn't kill myself in the game. I was watching the leg quite a bit after last Friday and a friend asked me to make up the numbers.
    It felt fine after that and I was okay on the Mon so I forgot about it last night. Probably running down the bit of a hill in Liffey at 8 min pace bought it on again.
    The ice seemed to help last night and it doesn't seem too bad this morning. I will know this evening better how it feels but I think I will be okay for a run so long as I take it handy. 5 or 6 9 min mile with no downhills maybe.

London Pride 10K 2010

Nice race. Had to take it very handy with the ankle but got round in less than an hour. Just. Managed to get the brother to run the whole thing so he was handy in keeping my pace down when I went to go too fast. Lots of ibuprofen for the ankle and it doesn't feel too bad. Hopefully it will be okay for the 10 mile next week but I might have to put off going for a PB there.

5 Mile Slow

Well its been 10 days since my last run and I shouldn't have done that one.
    Felt the calf give a very slight twinge after half a mile so took it very slowly from then on. Thank god I didn't try the 10 mile on Saturday.
    It looks like Dingle will be touch and go but then again I won't be intending to go much faster there than I was today.
    Especially after today. Touch wood but I should be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Would a massage on the legs help at this stage?

Aimman wrote: »
    Would a massage on the legs help at this stage?

Probably. I will set up an appointment with the physio for early next week.
    Will try another light run on grass tomorrow but will leave it for today again I think.

No run today but the physio gave me the all clear for Dingle last night.
    Reckoned it was just a very small tear in a muscle just above the ankle. Calf is fine. Said that light short jogs would be fine from now until Dingle.

So hopefully I can get a 10 miler in this Sunday and a few 5 mile runs next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Said that light short jogs would be fine from now until Dingle.

So hopefully I can get a 10 miler in this Sunday and a few 5 mile runs next week.

Did he refer to a 10 miler as a light short jog? :confused:

No I described a 5 mile as my nice short run and she didn't like the sound of it. I wouldn't mind but she had done a relay section of the Cork marathon this year.

Monday 5.75

First run in a week and only my third in 3 weeks. Not good with Dingle next Saturday. But still the leg felt comfortable enough at this pace and it is my likely pace for the race so its not all bad.
    Will try a 5 miler every day this week and see how it holds up. And if I finish in under 11 hours then I will have a new PB at this distance to beat some other time.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Woundedknee.

You'll hardly make any improvements in fitness between now and Saturday so my suggestion would be leave the running until race day and take the few extra recovery days. Is cycling an option? again this won't do anything for fitness between now and Saturday but will help keep your weight in check.

• Advertisement

Tuesday Run

Another 5.75 miles and I think that I might leave it at that until Saturday.
    Nice and slow and quite enjoyable. I may have been trying to do too much and at too high a pace before I got injured. Must remember that running nice handy 5 miles as a recovery run is quite enjoyable.

You'll hardly make any improvements in fitness between now and Saturday so my suggestion would be leave the running until race day and take the few extra recovery days. Is cycling an option? again this won't do anything for fitness between now and Saturday but will help keep your weight in check.

I think you are right. I might just visit the physio for a bit of peace of mind and for a good massage before the race. Will rest up for now anyway.

Dingle 50 Mile

Wed Recovery Run

Well I finally managed to get out for a run after Dingle. There were extenuating circumstances and they did involve a lot of drink on the Sunday but I should have been out again before last night.

Dingle was great fun apart from the heat and me forgetting to apply the sun lotion. Not the best idea in the world.

The recovery run was nice and slow and just showed me that the summer is over as I cannot run in the country roads in the evenings anymore. Not without a lot of flashing lights anyway.
    Still good to be our running again and I received my Dublin half marathon number yesterday so looking forwards to that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Congrats on the 50 miler!! That is some going after your injuries, your splits are incredibly consistent. You are definately a natural at the longer distances.

Good to hear you are doing the half. Any Goals? Are you coming to Ryans after with us for a few drinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

How's the recovery going? Any lessons learned for next year? Guess you won't be going for a 100 mile week again anytime soon!!

xebec wrote: »
    How's the recovery going? Any lessons learned for next year? Guess you won't be going for a 100 mile week again anytime soon!!

I might if I was able to run twice a day and break the runs up. This last time I did it with one run a day. I will do it again but will have to plan it out more.
    The key is the two long runs on the Sat and Sun. Two 30 mile back to backs only leaves 40 miles over the preceding 5 days. Shure ya could even take Friday off as a rest day with a bit of planning.

Feeling better this morning and will be off for a run again tonight.
    For next year I will probably be better prepared for hydration and food on the course itself. The bag drops were very well organised so I could probably have loaded more stuff in there than I did.

Mon 5 Mile

For the first time in nearly 6 weeks I was able to run at a good quick pace without thinking my ankle was going to go. 5 miles in just over 40 min isn't particulary quick but it felt quick to me.
    I think that a sub 1:50 in the half next Saturday will be quite a good run for me.

Tuesday Run

Wow. Back to back training runs. And no ill effects in the ankle. It looks like the half on Saturday is all systems go. I can feel that a good bit of condioning is gone though so I won't be doing anything special. I will be happy if I can go under 1:50.
    But I should be able to target the 1:45 in the Royal Parks Half on 10/10/10 and then have a good shot at the 3:45 in Dublin.
    Touch wood that I am over that injury fully now.

Not such a good run. Managed to do 5 miles but the Garmin's battery went after about 2 miles. It was low starting but I thought it would get through it. I was wrong.
    I picked up my brother after about a mile so it wasn't going to be quick. He is trying to get back into shape but goes out too quick and then has to take walking breaks after a mile or so.
    So only 6.25 miles to reach the 1000 mile mark. It has been a pretty poor year thus far in terms of mileage because of two layoffs due to injury but my marathon times have still improved. That is probably down to the weight loss and that is down to the vegetarianism.
    The next thing to work on is the core stability. I will have to try to devise a strength and flexibiltiy work out on the days I am not running.
    Devising it will be the easy part; following it will be a lot tougher.

• Advertisement

DublinHalf

Did it in a PB of 1:43:35. Delighted with that as I had intended running with the 1:50 pacers.
    Felt good at the start and motored along. I knew that I was running sub 8 min miles after the first 3 but it didn't feel tough at all. I know the park well and decided that if I could get to the 7 mile mark in under the hour I would see if I could then push on and really target the 1:45.
    In the long run down Chesterfield I managed to make it to the 7 in just under 58 min without having to push too much.
    The Kyber hill seemed a lot shorter than previous times I have run it and I really only felt the pressure in the last two miles. They are the only two over the 8 min.
    The garmin measured the course at 13.2 but that would be about right as I dd a fair amount of weaving in the first 3-4 miles as I was mainly passing people.
    All in all this was the best race that I have ever run. Looking forward to the full with renewed optimism that I can get a PB in that as well.

Ryans afterwards was a blast and I probably over did it but what harm.

Advertisement