Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What about a boardsie made game?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

A managment tool like that would be handy but i'm too cheap to shell out for one. Will look into it tonight and see if I can find a free one.

http://projectlocker.com/ has a free bundle as long as we limit the team to 5 members.

Will see if i can find something better ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Assembla is free...

Assembla is free...

ahem :o whoops :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Never used anything like Assembla but it looks quite handy. Why doesn't someone set all that up and go from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

What kind of a set up would we go for?

I'm using Trac and Subversion at work and think it works very well.

• Advertisement

It seems with Assembla (i could be wrong) that you only get one of the following:
    • Subversion
    • GIT
    • Open source hosting
    • StandUp / Scrum Space

So Subversion probably be the best option? I do like the idea of having a system of Trac but I can't say it'd be essential

Subversion would be fine.

I'd say Assembla with subversion (or GIT, i've no familiarity with the other 2 things) could do for now ok.

Another option could be to get a linux based VPS and set it up however we wanted it (trac , subversion and we could probably host wikis and/or a website on them too)

The lowest option would be plenty. I'll have a look into it , I wouldn't mind covering the first few months, its not dear anyways.

Def think we need to have a good ole brainbashing session before we start shelling out cash for stuff. If we got everyone interested online for a chat or something then we could iron out details and make sure everyone is happy with the direction of the project. I'd hate for witnessmenow to stump up for something that dies after the first week. Realistically, we don't need those management tools just yet. Especially if we're still trying to decide what we're going to do.

I'd make a group chat the first priority. Boards is all well and good but it's hard to keep the enthusiasm at a high when you're waiting hours for responses :)

Yeah I'd be up for that, could do it most evenings, except tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Well give a bit of notice so people can get their stuff together or mention it to any other interested parties. i.e. monday week?

Gives people time to forumulate ideas and is not a night that people are likely to have plans (apologies to people who do :D)

Yup I'd be up for that. When you say chat do you mean text or voice because we'll have to decided on what to use to chat :P

Well if everyone has voice chat capabilities then we can go with something like skype?

Otherwise good ole msn messenger or even find some abandoned chatroom somewhere that we can take over

Normal ol gmail will do group chats in the browser. Is also handy as it keeps a record of the chat if you wanted to reference it later.

I could host a conference bridge over VoIP if ye wanted? (You can get a free blueface account and a soft ip phone, xlite for free. The call would also be free).

The only downfall would be how my bandwitdh would hold up, but i should be able to take at least 4+me anyways

I think there's a valid point made there about reference. It might be more worthwhile sticking with gmail (maybe google wave?)

But if the people want VoIP, let me know so i can get me a headset :cool:

RedXIV wrote: »
    I think there's a valid point made there about reference. It might be more worthwhile sticking with gmail (maybe google wave?)

But if the people want VoIP, let me know so i can get me a headset :cool:

Google wave is dead man :pac: . Tex chat probably would be fine for a first meeting anyways

Well actually I could record the conference bridge too, and distribute by email ,after I've everyone consent obviously!

I don't think investing money is necessary really.

As for a place to chat, I think gmail group chat would be fine. That or maybe mIRC would be better.

I agree, none of us really have to spend money on this, there are plenty of free resources out there to use. I've mIRC anyway so I don't mind that, Messenger or anything like that we can group chat on.

I've never got around to trying mIRC, this could be the excuse I need to set it up. Will we go with that for monday next? maybe 8pm or so?

How does this sound to people?

around that time suits me :) You could also try ChatZilla red, it's an irc add-on to firefox :)

Oh, if we use irc and anyone isn't familiar with it, you can use mibbit to get onto the server that we're going to use and to get into a channel you write

/join #channelhere

to change your nickname

/nick yourname

• Advertisement

RedXIV wrote: »
    I've never got around to trying mIRC, this could be the excuse I need to set it up. Will we go with that for monday next? maybe 8pm or so?

How does this sound to people?

Monday doesnt really suit me, I've football at 8 :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Tuesday then?

same time?

Cheers for that docdolittle, will play with it tonight! :)

Will see if I can't come up with some basic agenda so we don't spend the first half an hour talking nonsense (as is normal in most of my meetings :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Sorry I couldn't get back to this thread sooner (I'd like to say it was for a good reason, but I was getting drunk, and then busy being hungover). Tuesday would be fine for me too. Although I've never used irc, so expect some hiccups on my part.

Your not alone, took me a bit longer than I expected to get it up and running last night. Seems ok now though?

have come up with basic agenda, no particular order just stuff that warrants a mention I reckon:
    • Confirmation of Skillset
    • Platform to release on
    • Game Engine or hardcode
    • Game Concept
    • Art Style
    • Similar Game styles
    • Schedule
    • Developement tools
    • Managment tools
    • Correspondence system
    • Goals
    • Starting Point
    • Documentation

Like I said, this is just something thrown together to get people thinking about the stuff that is relevant.

That suits me anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It looks good to me.

I can't... Limp Bizkit tomo night :D

Thats ok, it's NEXT week anyway, the 31st :D

• Advertisement

This can be the first thing we fight about, monday next in my mind is the next monday! :pac: Next Tuesday is fine for me anyways

I can't... Limp Bizkit tomo night :D
    :eek:

I didnt realise they were even still alive!

Advertisement