Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

most troublesome diesel cars

Options
  • 28-07-2010 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭

hi
    just wanted to hear members views on this as may also help people when deciding to purchase a secondhand car..

here goes

one of the worse at the moment is the 2005 on passat/audi 2.0l tdi, loads of trouble with balancer shaft, oil pump chain, so in general very poor engine and very expensive to fix. 1.9tdi are good

second is the 2004 on honda accord 2.2 cdti this has very poor diesel engine and expensive to buy and to fix.. seems the japs cant make a good diesel car engine just yet -their petrols engine are first class

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I got a Peugeot 407 (problem right there, I know) and just after the 3 month warranty expired the Turbo blew, oil everywhere and it seems the chain had been eating away at something in the engine. All the oil just disapeared in the few moments it took me to pull over. So reconditioned engine and turbo with a repair fee of between €5600 and €7000 depending on where I went. Most of the cost is labour. Needless to say there was no point.
    I probably could have contested the warranty in so far as there is no way the car could have been sold in perfect working order especially with the chain thing. I needed a car though so cut my losses and bought a Honda Accord and never looked back (except at the pumps). The accord was €4900 and only had 43k on it.

I sold the 407 to some guys for about €1200 I think it was. All they needed was the parts and the labour they could do themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

most french diesels are awful imo.

Surprised at the VAG nomination, the 1.9TDI Vag unit is always highly reccomended for its bulletproof reliability

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the 1.9 normily aspirated citroen/peugot diesel engine, cold starts like a junkie in a canal , pisses oil from every direction it can after the slightest knock to the sump,starves itself of suel and turns on the coolant light while on a steep hill, only advantage is cheap service parts

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Max Power1 wrote: »
    most french diesels are awful imo.

Surprised at the VAG nomination, the 1.9TDI Vag unit is always highly reccomended for its bulletproof reliability

In fairness mine was the 1.6 hdi, same engine used in the Ford Focus so it was supposed to be good. I guess the French Bolloxed it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

not bm bashing as I think their petrol cars with greater than 4 cylinders are mega but I had a 530d 04......an [EMAIL="ab@rtion"]ab@rtion[/EMAIL] of a yoke. Swirl flaps snapped, ecu, turbo, egr all went or partailly went at 50k.....

that merc 220d engine is very good if a little rough......had a 05 one and it took dogs abuse....never missed a beat. unlke the above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭kincaid

yes the peugeot 407 1.6 hdi is crap the same engine as the focus tdci but the 2.0 litre hdi is alot better with 6sp box...but high tax again is off putting...

the mercedes c220 cdi from 2000 on give lots of gearbox and electronic problems... the older models alot better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Accord diesel in there as the second worst diesel car that you can buy?? Seems a bit OTT to me. I'm sure there's a hell of a lot worse out there........same goes for your nomination of the VAG.............

I've a 2006 Accord diesel and it's torquey and not too bad on diesel either (50mpg). No problems ever with it. I'm sure it would be expensive to fix if there were problems alright but the chances of having problems are less than most other makes I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭2yung2adm

the 1.9 normily aspirated citroen/peugot diesel engine, cold starts like a junkie in a canal , pisses oil from every direction it can after the slightest knock to the sump,starves itself of suel and turns on the coolant light while on a steep hill, only advantage is cheap service parts
    This engine is recognised as one of the best diesel engines ever manufactured quite capable of clocking up over 500K miles.
    You did not say what the mileage was

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Accord diesel is one of the better ones out there. Your post is nonsense. No modern diesel is as reliable any more as a good petrol, all gone too complicated. Also all are expensive to fix. One of the key problems here is our absolute gutter quality of diesel fuel, it's manky crap that we get here.

2yung2adm wrote: »
    This engine is recognised as one of the best diesel engines ever manufactured quite capable of clocking up over 500K miles.
    You did not say what the mileage was

165,000 , really ? my one must have had a bad life so, it honestly sounds like its going to die when you start it in the morning, I serviced it there recently and I think im the only person whos ever changed the oil or oil filter on it

• Advertisement

really ?

Yep, but one of the best on terms of longlife, not in terms of cold start silkiness, it is an diesel from the days of when diesel was for farmers only. Great engine though, loads of them do mega miles.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Yep, but one of the best on terms of longlife, not in terms of cold start silkiness, it is an diesel from the days of when diesel was for farmers only. Great engine though, loads of them do mega miles.

may hold on to the van after i get my d-max so , suppose while it sounds shíte starting and has fúck all power , it starts almost every time and its never really broken down on me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭coolbeans

165,000 , really ? my one must have had a bad life so, it honestly sounds like its going to die when you start it in the morning, I serviced it there recently and I think im the only person whos ever changed the oil or oil filter on it

I have a 205 1.9d with 300K. About 50k ago it sounded like it was gonna die in the morning quite like your description. Went to loads of mechanics most of whom were clueless despite claiming to the contrary but one said that the battery was too weak for this type of car. He installed a heavy duty diesel battery and now it's quite literally perfect. Doesn't even blow smoke under hard acceleration. Best diesel engine of the 80s. It doesn't even burn oil. I know most readers won't believe this and tbh I don't blame you but it's true.

coolbeans wrote: »
    I have a 205 1.9d with 300K. About 50k ago it sounded like it was gonna die in the morning quite like your description. Went to loads of mechanics most of whom were clueless despite claiming to the contrary but one said that the battery was too weak for this type of car. He installed a heavy duty diesel battery and now it's quite literally perfect. Doesn't even blow smoke under hard acceleration. Best diesel engine of the 80s. It doesn't even burn oil. I know most readers won't believe this and tbh I don't blame you but it's true.

hmm it is a tiny battery in it and a cheapo one i suspect came from halfrauds at that. must give that a look see, also true, it doesnt burn oil, mine just pisses it out of gaskets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I don't know a damm thing about electrics but it really did the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭freighter

Mazda 6 diesel engine is brutal bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Whats the new VAG 1.6 TDI like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭kincaid

hi

the honda accord 2.2 cdti is giving huge trouble with the engine..you would expect alot better from honda

i hear this firsthand from the mechanics themselves and from breakers both here and the uk.

they can't be all wrong???

just try looking for a secondhand engine for one of these 04/05 they are impossible to get( big money if you can get one) and some advise not to even bother with the s/hand ones are they are crap and wont even guarantee them..
    you will notice that any car that give lots trouble and you go price an engine for it will cost an arm and leg... the ones that don't give much bother are plentiful and cheap.. ACCORD ENGINES ARE SERIOUS MONEY TO BUY

best avoided

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ryan T

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Whats the new VAG 1.6 TDI like?

I bought a golf 1.6tdi and am really pleased with it . Very economical. But as the 1.6tdi only arrived in 2009 its not going to show problems for a while yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

High pressure injection systems and associated electronics are the weak point of modern diesels.
    Every single diesel i looked at had this listed as a problem.
    Then there were dual mass flywheels. Swirl flaps, stupidly long attempts at service intervals.....

The simplicity that meant a diesel just wouldn't die is gone they now are as reliable as a petrol car at best.

They also tend to be sold on at higher mileages than petrol engines meaning problems are more obvious.

There is also a fantastic way to reduce reliability of an engine. Its called turbo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Laguna 1.9dci pure heap.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭2yung2adm

coolbeans wrote: »

I will believe it as our family had a 305 estate.
    It had 497K miles recorded when it was sold. Never a problem.Obviously had heater plugs changed and timing belt when required or needed. One thing you have to do with diesels is change the oil regularly.

Most morning rough starts are caused by expired heater plugs. Cheap to replace even if the one behind the pump is a bugger to get at otherwise it is an airleak at the filter allowing the diesel to return to the tank or tight valves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

kincaid wrote: »
    second is the 2004 on honda accord 2.2 cdti this has very poor diesel engine and expensive to buy and to fix..
    Hmm, I'm aware there were teething problems with the engine, which have usually been fixed free of charge.

Common problems that we hear of on this forum are turbos, swirl flaps, DPFs and DMFs.
    Common marques that we hear of on this forum suffering these problems are BMW, French marques, and some Fords.

Hard to beat the Rover L series for troublefree diesel motoring, despite what the numpties will tell you :D

JHMEG wrote: »
    Hmm, I'm aware there were teething problems with the engine, which have usually been fixed free of charge.

There's just no way that the diesel Accord is as bad as made out in the OP's original post. Big difference in teething problems fixed free for the 2004 model and it being the second worst diesel car on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,201 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm on my second 1.6 litre Hdi engine, currently in my a Volvo S40, previous one was a Ford Focus. Both engines have been uber reliable and both have covered around 80k miles each.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How does that make it a bad engine :confused:

If anythign it's great because it's put up with abuse and still managign to run.

If had that engine in 2 vans and neither missed a beat. Toyota used it for a bit too.

Slightly off topic but looks like new regulations will affect all diesel car prices and mpg:

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/bassetts-honda/43678-bad-times-ahead-diesel-car-owners.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

RoverJames wrote: »
    Hard to beat the Rover L series for troublefree diesel motoring, despite what the numpties will tell you :D

Hey , numpty is my word ;):D

.... but you're dead right , that L Series was a strong aul unit. Even Honda used it ..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_L-Series_engine

I think that people are being unfair with some of the comments about certain vehicles and all models getting tarred with the same brush because a certain model was bad but had a the same diesel engine fitted to it as another car.

I.E Renault F9Q 1.9 diesel is a great engine but a MKII Laguna was a ball of sh!te . Doesnt matter that the same engine was used by Nissan , Opel , Suzuki , Volvo aswell as in plenty of other Renault models. The same with the PSA / Ford 1.6 diesel. Early 307s were very poor quality but a Focus is bomb proof , same engine though.

Just for the record , any Isuzu 3.0 litre diesel is the worst diesel engine ever by far. They'd blow up faster than a baloon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Hey , numpty is my word ;):D

.... but you're dead right , that L Series was a strong aul unit. Even Honda used it ..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_L-Series_engine

I think that people are being unfair with some of the comments about certain vehicles and all models getting tarred with the same brush because a certain model was bad but had a the same diesel engine fitted to it as another car.

I.E Renault F9Q 1.9 diesel is a great engine but a MKII Laguna was a ball of sh!te . Doesnt matter that the same engine was used by Nissan , Opel , Suzuki , Volvo aswell as in plenty of other Renault models. The same with the PSA / Ford 1.6 diesel. Early 307s were very poor quality but a Focus is bomb proof , same engine though.

Just for the record , any Isuzu 3.0 litre diesel is the worst diesel engine ever by far. They'd blow up faster than a baloon :)

Yes very true I heard the guy that designed the 3.0 trooper engine is in a shallow grave now.

If they stuck with the old 3.1 there would never have been a problem.

Classic case of, if it's not broke don't fix it.

Advertisement