Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW X1 - WTF!

Options
  • 28-07-2010 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭

I've just seen a BMW X1. My God what an abomination of a car. It makes the GT look like a well considered and resolved design. Its proportions particularly at the front are all wrong. The first cars I thought of when I saw it were the Ssangyong Actyon and the Pontiac Aztec. Why do people buy these? I'm fond of many BMWs but I can't believe what a sell out car this is. Ugly, small and expensive. Am I in the minority here? Surely this is just proof that even if they put a BMW badge on a turd someone will buy it.
    Am I alone in my conclusions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Had the same reaction myself to the 5 series GT I saw recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

named as such, as its only a sixth as awful looking as an X6?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I like it...

sacarfan-2010-bmw-x1-03.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

121847.jpg
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I like the new fiver though and the three coupe. I just read Jeremy Clarkson's review; he hates it. Maybe it's a decent motor after all. Bloody ugly though. I just couldn't look at it every day. I'd prefer a GT or an X6 and still think both are hideous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

EPM wrote: »

Specsavers ---->
    BMW-X1-112991244239701590x1060.jpg
    ^ worst face on a car ever (ignoring the ssangyong abominations)

I like it...

sacarfan-2010-bmw-x1-03.jpg

It's even worse in the flesh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Specsavers ---->

In fairness, it's no worse than a Rav4 of squashqai and I'd prefer it to both is I was looking for something like that. Price isn't too far away from theirs either really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

X1, X6 and GT are all hideous IMO. The face of the new 7 is also a mess.

Saw a new 5 next to an E60 the other day, the E60 looks so much more butch and Germanic by comparison. Hated the E60 at first but grew to really appreciate its proportions and detailing.

X1, X6 and GT are all hideous IMO. The face of the new 7 is also a mess.

Saw a new 5 next to an E60 the other day, the E60 looks so much more butch and Germanic by comparison. Hated the E60 at first but grew to really appreciate its proportions and detailing.
    +1
    Compared to both the e39 & the e60 the current 5 series is horrible visually imo

• Advertisement

In fairness, it's no worse than a Rav4 of squashqai
    I think it's substantially worse to be honest. And saying that it's no worse than a Toyota or Nissan is no compliment either.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 theshaft

i agree. the first version x5 was the only good looking SUV they did. i remember the first time i saw an X6 i genuinely thought i was seeing a UFO coming towards me. and this X1 is just awful. and the sad truth is, they'll sell loads!! the majority being yummy mummies no doubt lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

theshaft wrote: »
    i agree. the first version x5 was the only good looking SUV they did. i remember the first time i saw an X6 i genuinely thought i was seeing a UFO coming towards me. and this X1 is just awful. and the sad truth is, they'll sell loads!! the majority being yummy mummies no doubt lol

Seen one on the way into work the other day, remember thinking to myself "who in gods name would buy one of those", ended up being one of the guys I work with...didn't say anything to him...but god some people really buy into sales persons crap, can't imagine anyone who knows about cars doing their research and going out and buying one of these things, they're so incredibly pointless.

Viper_JB wrote: »
    Seen one on the way into work the other day, remember thinking to myself "who in gods name would buy one of those", ended up being one of the guys I work with...didn't say anything to him...but god some people really buy into sales persons crap, can't imagine anyone who knows about cars doing their research and going out and buying one of these things, they're so incredibly pointless.

Pointless i can forgive but I just can't abide an ugly car!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭mecanoman

They've lost the plot, love the mid-ninties BMW's
    over the present cars anyday.

bmw-520i-photo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Have a x1 and love the styling of it and in fairness to compare it to any of the hideous Ssangyong is madness.

It also preforms way better than the Golf I had before it (GT sport 140 TSI)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

2 Espressi wrote: »
    lol.
    I skim-read that and thought it was an actual press release for a sec

alexmcred wrote: »
    Have a x1 and love the styling of it and in fairness to compare it to any of the hideous Ssangyong is madness.

Hey, it's just my opinion; I thought it looked like an Actyon as it was the first thing that subconciously popped into my head. Who cares what I think though.;)

alexmcred wrote: »

I'm curious to know though, were the looks one of the selling points? What did you consider before making the decision to buy? For you, what's it got that other cars don't?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

I love the front end styling on it to be honest and I'll also admit that I was one of the few to to like it when they originally when they released the pre launch shots.

Also the price of the x1 vs. a 3 series with the same spec was fairly substantial

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It looks like they took an X5, sliced about a foot right out of the middle lengthways and seamed up the top and bottom creating something that looks wonky. Then they got the smallest wheels in the BMW parts bit and fitted them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I saw two of these within half an hour driving around Dublin City last week, both were white, and both looked awful. Terrible terrible looking cars imo. And no they weren't the same car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Wouldnt be my thing but the X6 is just vile alltogether. The old bimmers were class. I had a 325is yonks ago. What a babe catcher that time..:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Stroke of genius... a small (read: cheap) "4x4" with a BMW badge on it. Recipe for success, particularly with young women who fancy themselves as being upwardly mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

JHMEG wrote: »
    Stroke of genius... a small (read: cheap) "4x4" with a BMW badge on it. Recipe for success, particularly with young women who fancy themselves as being upwardly mobile.

cheapest model starting at 34,000.
    is that cheap?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

it's just a slightly raised 3 series estate. looks ok for what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

omega666 wrote: »
    cheapest model starting at 34,000.
    is that cheap?

Rav-4/CR-V/Qashqai price, and ergo more affordable than an X3/X5, which the owner will no doubt aspire to.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Looks really are in the eye of the beholder - I like the E90/91 but don't like the E92. I can't say i'm mad about the looks of the X1 either, but then again ability counts for a lot more than looks with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭positron

Despite what sensible people make of it, it will sell loads - just like how iPhones are flying off the shelf.

Advertisement