Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie interviews The Saw Doctors - your questions please

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Appleguy

Best gig i ever saw of you guys was the DIT TRAD FEST in 2006. It was an absolutely brilliant night best college night i had in 4 years.

Then the following year ye came again and it was shutdown half way by the safety stewart because some people were getting a little too mental, ya remember?
    One thing your sure of in DIT is a load of boggers who love the Saw Doctors.

I would ask why you don't play for us anymore but i already know why ;-)

Good work at Oxegen! Hadn't seen ye in a few months.
    Would be nice to hear 'to win just once' if your doing requests!

I'm free on the 25th by the way, willing to carry gear!

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

The Joyce Country Ceili Band. The happiest song I know, certain to pick you up on a dull day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Legends !

Get the lads to play "The Streets of Galway"
    written by Padraig Stevens
    one my favourite songs they used to play it all the time in the early days

Is that the one with the line something like "the rain comes falling - splish splashing - down the town in a Galway fashion"

I used to have a bootleg taped in Roscrea decades ago, that seems to stick in my mind.

I almost got sea sick going to Clare Island a few weeks ago (because of the song)
    One that gets to me is 'Same Aul Town' the live in Galway version

"the bell still tolls
    I heard it there
    for the final journey
    up to the square...."

Clare Island Pic

DSC_3548.jpg

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭captainstacy

get them to play some zeppelin and see if they can handle playing something that has more that 4 chords in it :p
    That's a very simplistic view of music. If it's hard to play it must be good.
    I know I don't go around humming too many Zeppelin tunes no matter how great it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Has to be the immortal Tommy Kavanagh.

Good old Tommy K. Not too many other Saw Doctors tunes has a little dance to go along with it (aside from the drunken shennanigans of N17, Useta Love etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Hay Wrap song and i've never wrapped a bit of hay in my life went to see them on my birthday WHAT A BAND whole place was hopping all night

GET THAT WASP OFF MY SANDWICH

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I'd love to hear 'It Started With A Kiss' by Hot Chocolate, their version

Or they could play 'Bless Me Father'....

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

mars bar wrote: »
    Have ya heard the a capella version they did at Kelly's?

It's deadly!

That was epic. I was hoping it would be on the album, so that's my question:

Is the "a capella" version of Red Cortina on the album, or will there be somewhere we can buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

Haha, just changed my sig the other day after listening to Joyce Country Ceilí Band.

Boom shaka laka laka Parish Hall :D

Actually; can you ask the lads if the songs are inspired by actual people/events?

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

Is that the one with the line something like "the rain comes falling - splish splashing - down the town in a Galway fashion"

I used to have a bootleg taped in Roscrea decades ago, that seems to stick in my mind.

Yeah thats the one I think you get download a free version of it from their new years eve gigs in the Point On a Uk Fanzine site

I agree with you Re Same Aul Town
    a great observation of a small town in Ireland
    Patrick Kavanagh would be proud of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I almost got sea sick going to Clare Island a few weeks ago (because of the song)
    One that gets to me is 'Same Aul Town' the live in Galway version

"the bell still tolls
    I heard it there
    for the final journey
    up to the square...."

Clare Island Pic

I have a Stonelakes version of that song from the launch of Eyre Square and a Waterboys version from Galway in 1984 when they supported the Waterboys. It's excellent!

"Same Oul' Town", the songa and album is brilliant!

Can you ask the band what are each of their own favourite Saw Doctors song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Folks, thank you all very much for your responses.

Unfortunately the Saw Doctors have had to postpone today's interview until a later date :(

Really gutted about this but hey, we can do it better next time.

Will leave this thread open for your ideas and be back to you when they've set a new date.

Thanks again

Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Pity was actually excited about this ! Maybe they will see the interest and make it sooner rather than later

Hope it happens soon Darragh.
    I'd love to hear what they have to say about some of the views on boards.ie.
    They will take it all on the chin like they always do no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭shellz

I know it came about as a joke but their version of "About You Now" is class, and I never fail to be impressed by the line "And I walked straight up and made an ostentatious contribution" in "I Useta Love 'er", thats just an incredible line!

anyone who can get the word "ostentatious" into a lyric has gotta be good! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Was this ever re-scheduled?

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

A year ago already! :eek:

Advertisement