Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie interviews The Saw Doctors - your questions please

Options
  • 27-07-2010 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

Love them or otherwise, there's no denying that The Saw Doctors are a hard working bunch who contributed to the Irish music scene at home and abroad - how many people in this forum have not at some stage danced to N-17 or I Useta Love Her?

They're coming in to Boards.ie tomorrow, Wednesday, to have a chat - we'll record it for you - so we'd like your questions, if you have any.

We'd also like them to play a tune, so if you have any requests for a classic Saw Doctors track, put them below and we'll record it for you!

Their newest single is called "Takin' The Train" (you can listen here) and is out on August 20th, ahead of their new studio album "The Further Adventures Of The Saw Doctors" out September 10th.

artworks-000001857692-3o3lj3-original%20%281%29.jpg

Press release stuff:
    One year is becoming hard to sustain for modern bands trying their hand in the music business nowadays, so it is that little bit more impressive to know that in the past 20 years The Saw Doctors have emerged as the most successful Irish rock band since U2.

With a list of Chart success on numerous songs over the years such as well known favourites: “N17”, “I Useta Lover”, and more recently a cover of SUGABABES “About You Now”, (note that The Sugababes’ original version of About You Now stalled at No. 2 in the Irish Chart while The Saw Doctors reached No. 1!) plus many more, have helped The Saw Doctors maintain their defiant musical stance on the scene.

In the last eighteen months, Ireland’s Critically acclaimed Saw Doctors have blazed back phoenix-like, to their rightful place as the nation’s most-loved band.

Vastly accredited for their storming exuberant live shows, their substantial phalanx of hardcore fans on both sides of the Atlantic has never wavered in support. For many artists a Lifetime Achievement Award comes towards the end of a long and acclaimed career but for The Saw Doctors, it came at the start of their second sprint to the top – just three days after their momentous appearance on the Podge And Rodge Show on RTE television (2008), they were awarded a LIFE TIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD IN THE METEOR AWARDS.

“I suppose we’re a bit like an old dress,” says Leo Moran with a wry philosophical smile. “If you keep it long enough, it’s bound to come back into fashion.“

Prior to the eagerly anticipated release of their first album in almost 5 years: The Further Adventures, The Saw Doctors release the guitar driven, custom made for radio, POP/ROCK single TAKIN’ THE TRAIN, which boasts a new sound from an ever evolving band. The current lineup features: Leo Moran (vocals, guitar), Davy Carton (vocals, guitar), Kevin Duffy (keyboards), Anthony Thistlethwaite (bass guitar, saxophone), and new drummer and co writer Eímhín Cradock (drums + vocals).

They're also playing Cork's Savoy on Friday September 24th and Dublin's Olympia on Saturday 25th.

Their website is here and they're on Facebook over here.

Put your questions, feedback and requests below - I'll get the lads to pick out one winner who'll get to go see them at the Olympia on September 25th too.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭shellz

i'd love to hear them play L25 ... if only to imagine a time when dinner and a bottle of wine could actually cost just 25 quid :rolleyes:

The Saw Doctors are great craic - always a must see at Oxegen!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Hard to beat N17, would love to hear a specail boards edition, lol!

Also could ya ask them what has kept themtogether for so long they seem to have been about forever, most of the time a band will only last for 5 - 10 years then fall out but the saw doctors always seem to be having a laugh no matter where you see / hear them? fair play to them though!

I remember them playing at Oxegen in 06 they were epic, they were the first band on the main stage on sunday morning, they were telling people to jump the barriors into the pit because the security wouldn't let anyone in! we duely obliged! they were epic, made a good job of waking everyone up, keep it up :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

Go on the Docs!!! I'm from the next town to them

oh and they should play The Joyce Country Ceili band!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

When I was a little(r) girl, my otherwise fairly serious dad had a vinyl single of I Useta Lover that I called mine.

I'd make him play it all the time, and we'd run around the room singing and yelling it together like lunatics. We'd dance on the furniture, knock over anything that wasn't bolted down and absolutely destroy the lino, until my Mam would tell us to stop. But more often than not, she'd just concede defeat and sing even louder than we could ourselves, until the song was ended and we'd just play it again.

Anyway, that song and the Saw Doctors are wrapped right into some of my earliest and fondest memories. I even managed to drag my drink-sodden carcass out of my tent at Oxegen for them, and they were just as brilliant as I'd remembered, Hangover Hearing and all.

So I don't have a question really. I just have that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Thats what she said... would be great to hear.

As for questions.
    I know you are based over in Galway but why don't you sample your new songs in and around Leinster, do one of you own Kelly's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

What a nice group of guys. Once requested a song of theirs from a DJ using Twitter and later The Saw Doctors replied on Twitter thanking me (no I didn't use their twitter handle - didn't even know they had one).

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Tell the lads that Mary Kelly says hi, they'll know who I am! :D

I have seen them over 20 times now and they are an unreal band from the greatest town in Ireland. I might be slightly biased there.
    I'm really looking forward to hearing the new album and I truly hope it's a big success as it's the least the guys deserve.

Please play "Going Back To Tuam" or "Wake Up Sleeping". Both songs are top tunes.

Question for Davy: Are ya going to see Juventus play Shamrock Rovers? I hope Rovers thrash ye! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

I know it came about as a joke but their version of "About You Now" is class, and I never fail to be impressed by the line "And I walked straight up and made an ostentatious contribution" in "I Useta Love 'er", thats just an incredible line!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Bet you'll have a laff with them.
    I love N17 (because it's just down the road from me)
    Also I useta love her, because when my lad was young he thought it was a song about Scones.

'Scone all my loving is scone' :D

and if they have a few tickets to see them at Temple House please throw them in my direction ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Has to be "red cortina"........

Forever and ever, first love stays with you forever......

• Advertisement

Has to be "red cortina"........

Forever and ever, first love stays with you forever......

Have ya heard the a capella version they did at Kelly's?

It's deadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Presentation Boarder.

I always felt they wrote it about me and changed the name of where I went to school. :D Love all their songs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I'm going to be different and say they should play I'd love to kiss The Bangles! Good choooooooooon

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I'm going to be different and say they should play I'd love to kiss The Bangles! Good choooooooooon

Savage song!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

I'd like them to play Clare island, it's a great song to listen to first thing in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭captainstacy

Can you ask the Saw Doctors why their singles (she loves me, this is me, if only etc) over the past 10 years have received little or no airplay here in Ireland and do they think they have been pigeon holed as some kind of a novelty joke band from the west that aren't cool enough for the main stream media?

As for a classic song to play how about 'Out For A Smoke'? the Saw Doctors were warning us of the dangers of the celtic tiger long before Eddie Hobbs and David Mcwilliams.

I love their new single, pity I don't hear it on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Ye should play Howya Julia, Hilarious Song

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Can they play I'll Be On My Way what a tune or even FCA but ive never heard them play that live before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Always liked 'That's what she said last night'. Memories of teenage discos :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Please ask them to play Sex Ball Bridie. The lyrics are fantastic! It's from many moons ago - but a classic nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 davidclarkdsi

The Green n Red of Mayo is the unofficial anthem of the county football team, we've nearly got it going a few times in Croker but I'm guessing that there's still a lack of knowledge about the lyrics amongst a lot of the crowd, in my own mind I'd always imagined that if we could only get the Saw Doctors to do the half time entertainment in Croker on an All-Ireland final day then we'd have a fighting chance heading into a second half with enough fire in the belly to 'win just once'. I'll keep dreaming!

The Saw Doctors are greatly unappreciated in their lifetime so far . . . their music is the poetry of a generation, the Dubs have Damien Dempsey and we have the sublime Saw Doctors and I can't help but feel that both are shunned to a certain extent by elements of the media & the arts brigade with some of their lofty ideals.

'She stepped out of a red Cortina . . .' that kinda thing should be on the Leaving Cert or at least as much as the likes of Seamus Heaney is part of the curriculum (and it took him to win all sorts of fancy awards before they included him).

I think I know what the problem is . . . there's a film called 'Running on Empty' starring River Phoenix, he plays the part of a student and his music teacher plays two pieces of music - Beethoven and not the Saw Doctors but something in the popular arena and he asks the question what the difference between the two is?

The answer is 'you can't dance to Beethoven' and therein I think is the reason the Saw Doctors aren't held in the regard that they should be because it's very hard not to dance to a Saw Doctors tune . . . you can be at the most boring wedding ever, where nobody even likes the bride or groom and the music is so poor that the band and dj should be quietly shown the exit and if they cover or play Joyce Country Ceile Band they'll have the whole place leppin' around like eejits, even great auntie Mary with the two hips only recently replaced will be up and swirlin' round the dance floor . . . yes, there's 'depth in them thar songs' but only if you choose to go looking for it, on the surface they're usually pure entertainment and let's face it that's what the Saw Doctors do best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Ask them to come play in Laois somewhere(not the Electric Picnic:P) pleeeease.:D

The Joyce Country Ceile Band just has to be sang.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 20 0strich

My favourite song is probably Clare Island (with sax) but all of them are amazing, they really tell a story and I'm from Dublin so people look at me like I've three heads when I say they're my favourite band. I want I'll Be On My Way or Carry Me Away played at my funeral.

Oh and question wise, Do ye ould lads ever struggle to keep up wit Eimhinn? haha and where can I hear "Rag Week Rock" loved it in DCU when ye gave me a mention from stage cos i was only just out of a coma, cheers for that by the way

Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Delta_Raven1

This is me. Please:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Will this interview ever be published, or will it be another 'Dropkick Murphy's' non-event?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

Could ye ask them to play Midnite Express,it's one of the best songs ever written.

Could ye ask them how it feels to be the Irish E Street Band,in as much as they are second only the E Streeters,as a live live unit.

Everyone knows the E Street Band is the best live band,and everyone SHOULD know that the Docs run them a very close second....

Continued success to great band that I've had the privilege of seeing nearly 80 times over the past 17 years...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭yknaa

Considering we are at the height of GAA action there can only be one song - 'Apples minerals or chocolates'. A hoot. Great band. Keep it goin' lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

get them to play some zeppelin and see if they can handle playing something that has more that 4 chords in it :p

What is the connection with Hyannis lads?

Also one of ye, met friends of ours in the shop in Hyannis. He gave them 3 free tickets. Nice to see the guys are down to earth. Concert was good in the melody tent too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

Legends !

Get the lads to play "The Streets of Galway"
    written by Padraig Stevens
    one my favourite songs they used to play it all the time in the early days

If not Indian Summer from the new album.

Also could you ask Leo would like a go at celebrity bainisteoir
    seeing as he played a " bit" of ga in his time :D

Advertisement