Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you had to do without because of the Recession?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭babyfratelli_x

Not much really.... I was poor anyway, Im a student :rolleyes:
    So its actually fine durin the year, as rent/food etc has all come down.... Bt have been getting a lot less shifts at my summer job this year, which means less nites ou, less money for clothes shoppin and drinkin in the house more often than in the pub.

This is all fine with me though, sick of headin out at home, and enjoy havin a few drinks in the house with my mates.... and ill be back to the same old skint times come September anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

5% of my salary. So far.

Main thing thats missing is peace of mind. having a job means worrying about losing it.

and now it looks like the economy is about to collapse again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Pope Benedict

Cheaper alter wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

suitseir wrote: »
    In my case it is my two weeks holidays abroad! And, oh yea, I cannot afford to have the outside of the house painted....and it needs it.......painters still charging a fortune!

Oh well.......could be worse!:(

Answers for both,paint,do it yourself,Holiday,tent and car country;) probs solved :P

I had nothing in first place so didnt have to give anything up:P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Most weeks............Wages...........:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

no more evian baths i have a barrel hooked up to all the gutters on the house..

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭NoHornJan

Prisons, Hospitals, Schools, Decent Transport System, Sanity but most of all Disposable Income...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

NoHornJan wrote: »
    Prisons, Hospitals, Schools, Decent Transport System, Sanity but most of all Disposable Income...

we had them before??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I am really fortunate that I left Ireland when I did.

New job (with pay raise)
    Part time job (with better pay than my full time in Ireland)
    New House with all of the toys.
    New Car (Ford Escape)

I don't even want to think of where I would be right now if I had stayed in Ireland.

I am really fortunate that I left Ireland when I did.

New job (with pay raise)
    Part time job (with better pay than my full time in Ireland)
    New House with all of the toys.
    New Car (Ford Escape)

I don't even want to think of where I would be right now if I had stayed in Ireland.

Depressed no doubt.

• Advertisement

galwayrush wrote: »
    Depressed no doubt.

Stoned to the bejaysuses to be honest ;)

Stoned to the bejaysuses to be honest ;)

We can't afford to get stoned anymore.., it's back to drinking Bucky.:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

banana skins?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

In date order;

Annual Bonus
    VHI
    10% of my pay
    Bottle of Jameson always available in the cupboard
    50% of my colleagues
    Buying a treat for myself every payday
    A new barbeque,
    And finally, in 6 weeks time, my job

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

Holidays,
    New clothes (And when I do get new ones I go to Pennys)
    Nights out on the razz (Gone from 4 a month to maybe 1 a month)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 kiwilostineire

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Wanna buy a parking spot for €45k?

Only if my parents and bank try and talk me out of it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

The people here whining about the little sacrifices they'v made should spare a thought for those less fortunate

Poor P Diddy has had to leave his private jet parked up, and is being forced to slum it with American Airlines Business Class

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRZTCZPNNWU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Quilted toilet paper. Down to three ply :o

*Holds hand to head and faints

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Einhard wrote: »
    Paint it yourself?

I am doing inside like bedrooms and pondering on doing the kitchen. Outside? nope no can do.....two storey so too high and OH wouldn't climb a two step ladder! Last time, which is some time ago, it cost me 3,000 pounds!

I grow my own ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I even froze my gym membership

Does it last longer in the freezer?

I have to do without meeting everyone i know out saturday nights (old friends, school mates, work people, neighbours, certain family members etc etc) as they can't afford it anymore. God I love this recession! :D

Since the recession & the cut backs to free dental treatment, I have become more & more like a Fianna Fail politician by the day.

Toothless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭RachPie

Erm...
    I've been very lucky, the only thing I've had to give up is going out every weekend.
    I'm a student. I'm used to living on beans and sleeping on couches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Circumstances haven't really changed for me. I'm an IT contractor so could be scratching my arse for 6 months during boom times and gainfully employed during slumps. Curently I'm doing better than I was in 2006 and have been working constantly since then apart from a few months in the doldrums last year.
    Don't have expensive tastes anyway. I'm a jeans a tee-shirt guy. Have a heavy mortgage in Amsterdam but have always shopped on the markets and drink cheapo lager at home. Girlfriend likes a fancy nosh up once a month but that's about it.
    If I was to sell my apartment I'd be minted. Homeless but minted. don't have a car. No kids. Biggest expense after house private health (100 bills a month), then utilities about another 100 a month. Then beer.....the rest of my salary :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

suitseir wrote: »
    I am doing inside like bedrooms and pondering on doing the kitchen. Outside? nope no can do.....two storey so too high and OH wouldn't climb a two step ladder! Last time, which is some time ago, it cost me 3,000 pounds!

Whaat? 3 grand? Do you live in Buckingham Palace? I'm sure you'd be able to get some jobless fella to do it for a lot less than that!!

Ps - I painted the outside of my house myself earlier this year, cos I couldn't afford to pay anyone (I'm female). If I can do it, surely one of ye could get your arse up a ladder too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Strange Loop

What have you had to do without because of the Recession?

The average of hot women.

3 grand sounds like an awful lot to get a house painted alright. I paid a guy €300 to do my house a few weeks ago & that included the paint.

He started in the morning & had it finished by the time the missus got back from work. I work from home, so splashed a bit of paint on ny hands & face and I told the missus that I'd done it myself.

Got major brownie points for that, so I did.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Scráib wrote: »
    New clothes (And when I do get new ones I go to Pennys)

Yeah I'd say Penny's sales have sky rocketed since the recession alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

OP you really should consider painting your house yourself. It would take 2-3 days max by yourself. I painted a one storey shop today - front and one of the sides. Started at 8.30am and finished at 4.30pm, job done. I'm no pro but it's only painting, anyone can do it.

£3,000 is absolutely insane.

Advertisement