Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Manky Foods Thread [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

This thread is probably old, but Lamb...it actually makes me gag so badly that when it's cooked in my home, I leave for hours till the smell has gone...lol :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Rhubarb (That's why Ruu gives me such a bad time too ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭madbev90210

im a vegetarian and almost all fake meat products repule me, the "rashers" and "ham" look like they're from a dolls set! eeurgh

Also cant eat kidney beans and thanks to someone who recently told me eggs are a chickens period I know have to force myself to eat the only source of protein I had, eggs of course! (someone please dispel this mindset for me!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

/*Facepalm*/

Do not think of an egg as a chicken's period. They are just an unfertilized complex cell that the chicken excretes. The ones we eat do not have the potential to become chicks. "Chicken's period" = schoolyard science.

So forget your silly friend.

Back on topic, I can't eat soft boiled eggs or fried eggs with and uncooked yolk! To wobbly and runny for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

...and thanks to someone who recently told me eggs are a chickens period I know have to force myself to eat the only source of protein I had, eggs of course! (someone please dispel this mindset for me!)

Of course not. I don't think that chickens have periods as humans do.

To all intents & purposes an egg is a chicken foetus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Hill Billy wrote: »
    To all intents & purposes an egg is a chicken foetus.

Haha thats going to make it alot easier for a veggie to eat!!
    "A chicken foetus"!

Although essentially thats what it has the potential to become, its not actually a foetus if it hasnt been fertilised.

Although if you see a tiny red dot on your yoke (egg yoke!) take it out, as this is the fertilised embryo starting to grow, it just was incubated to become a chick. most likey in free range eggs as the male and females are free to roam together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

OpenBake wrote: »
    They are just an unfertilized complex cell that the chicken excretes.

Isn't that basically what a period is? :D
    The unfertilised egg is expelled, albeit without blood like human periods have.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭madbev90210

A foetus!! :eek: im now really never eating eggs again! Ill have to stock up on protein shakes or something, although the ones I had recently from the health shop were gag inducing :( Il shop around!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Leif Johnson

Well, my sister got me some crocodile jerky which she sent over from Australia. The taste was bad. Had to drink loads of water to get rid of the taste of it.
    I've also tried some crickets, in salt and peppered flavour. They weren't too bad actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Goats cheese. Puke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,433 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Goats anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Cucumber. I cannot stand the taste at all, even if it touches other food. And I am by far a picky eater. Closely followed by horseradish.
    Eaten lots of odd things but those are the two that actively made me vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Lidls finest or luxury or whatever lobster bisque. ...sick sick sick sick sick sick...can still taste it....sick

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

Years ago I was in a restaurant in France. I had the dish of the day, a local delicacy. It turned out to be sheep's brain in a garlic type sauce. Yuk!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭brevity

Carousel-image.jpg

Filipino-pork-belly.

Horrible stuff, was chewing and chewing and it wouldn't go away. Was in a restaurant as well so couldn't get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Haven't really hated any type of food. Worst thing I tried was a cake made with baking soda instead of sugar (by accident), completely disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Kovu wrote: »
    Cucumber. I cannot stand the taste at all, even if it touches other food.
    I am the same, this is the reason

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cucumber#Taste
    Taste
    The human olfactory response to cucumbers appear to vary. Most people report a mild, almost watery flavor or a light melon taste, while a small but vocal minority report a highly repugnant taste—some say almost perfume-like.[20] Cucumbers vary in bitterness, even from the same plant. This bitter taste is attributed to the chemical compound Cucurbitacin C. Cucurbitacin is poisonous to livestock, especially sheep.
    If I was making food commercially I would never use it. Those who do like it even say it adds very little to a dish.

Its often in sandwiches at buffets, it can ruin the whole lot.

Coriander is similar
    Taste and smell[edit]
    Different people may perceive the taste of coriander leaves differently. Those who like it say it has a refreshing, lemony or lime-like flavor, while those who dislike it have a strong aversion to its taste and smell, likening it to that of soap and bugs.[15][25] Twin studies have shown that 80% of identical twins shared the same preference for the herb, but fraternal twins agreed only about half the time, strongly suggesting a genetic component to the preference. In a genetic survey of nearly 30,000 people, two genetic variants linked to perception of coriander have been found, the most common of which is a gene involved in sensing smells.[26] The gene, OR6A2, lies within a cluster of olfactory-receptor genes, and encodes a receptor that is highly sensitive to aldehyde chemicals. Flavor chemists have found that the coriander aroma is created by a half-dozen or so substances, and most of these are aldehydes. Those who dislike the taste are sensitive to the offending unsaturated aldehydes, while simultaneously may also be unable to detect the aromatic chemicals that others find pleasant.[27] Association between its taste and several other genes, including a bitter-taste receptor, have also been found.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tatrman

Bacon soaked with salty chemical piss on the shelf of every irish grocery shop...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Threads merged.

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

* Mushrooms
    * Shellfish
    * Veal
    * Lamb
    * Escargot
    * Spaghetti
    * Celery
    * Leeks
    * Battery eggs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Celery.
    Fennel.
    Well, anything with an anisseedy taste to it, really. Including anisseed.
    I keep trying though, and I can now tolerate and even enjoy small quantities, provided the taste mignles well with other flavours.

Celery, for example, I keep chopped up and in a bag in the freezer, to use 3 or 4 bits every time I make a soup or stew. I'd never be able to use up a whole stalk in one go, but every time I top up the bag with fresh celery I will take a bite just to see if I can now tolerate the taste.
    So far, I can't. I always end up spitting it out again. :(

And meat, come to think of it.
    I became a vegetarian about 10 years ago (for ethical reasons and because my husband was vegetarian - no point cooking 2 meals), but for the last 3 years or so I've noticed that the smell of meat is starting to actually repulse me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Kat1170

marozz wrote: »
    Years ago I was in a restaurant in France. I had the dish of the day, a local delicacy. It turned out to be sheep's brain in a garlic type sauce. Yuk!!

Did you like it before you found out what it was or was it No! right from the first taste ???

Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭trashcan

Boxoffrogs wrote: »
    Potatoes in all their many forms.

Think it's a hang-up from being forced to eat them when I was younger. I remember instances of the tears flowing and being close to gagging and my mother would still insist that I finish them.

Oh and also celery and parsnips eugh!

Potato is food of the Gods, Roasties, Chips, Jacket Spuds, yum yum.

Agree on Celery and parsnips though. Not nice. Was never too keen on Turnips, until I roasted rather than boiled them. Big difference. Not keen on boiled veg in general, carrots, Broccoli, cabbage, all much nicer roasted or fried.

Worst thing I ever tasted was octopus. Just couldn't swallow it and had to spit it out into a napkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Mustard-My Christ, the SMELL..The TASTE!
    Mayonnaise-Horrible skangery sour white thick vile monstrosity.
    Salad Cream-See above under "Mayonnaise".
    Liver.
    Avocado.
    Cauliflower.
    Parsnips.
    Coriander is something I used to despise, but I love it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

Celery!! Christ the state of it

Apart from that I'd eat anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ballinasloex

Can't stand butter! It's they only thing that comes tah mind :B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Crumpets wrote: »
    Celery!! Christ the state of it

Apart from that I'd eat anything :)

I too eat anything, and I'm a vegetarian who loves vegetables, but I've HATED celery FOREVER. Stringy, squeaky, soapy - blee!!
    But it was time recently to give raw celery its once-a-decade shake of the stick, so I had some with peanut butter on it, and I have to say - it was surprisingly nice.
    Something about the fattiness of the peanut butter just made it work - the texture was crisp and the flavour almost citrus-y.
    Now I've not been eating celery every day or anything, but I don't get angry when I can see it a soup or whatever since.

So maybe try it, Crumpets, with some nice peanut butter - Meridian Crunchy with a pinch of sea salt, say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

quaa, that sounds nice.
    I'm also not a lover of celery.
    I do put it in Bolognese and lasagnes but I've had it raw before and hated it.
    Putting some peanut butter on it might be nice.
    I'll try that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Low fat & zero fat yoghurts. Haaaate them. Hate the weird texture & chemical, too sweet taste of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

Olives - don't get them !! May as well be eating a bar of Palmolive soap ; >!

Advertisement