Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Manky Foods Thread [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

The only food I really can't eat, like my throat would close over if it was in my mouth, is liver. By god that texture is the devil's work!

Most of the time I can't eat pork either because it just smells and tastes like farm to me - might as well be in the pen licking the pig itself. I've heard other people say the same about lamb. What's that about? To me, the taste of farm is so strong off pork, and someone else is munching into it and doesn't know what I'm talking about. And the reverse has happened with lamb which I have found delicious. I don't understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Gherkins, pickles, whatever you wanna call them, ugh, they are awful. Pickles - Cucumbers soaked in evil!! I love pickled onions though.

The two things guaranteed to make me want to puke are when I order a burger with no pickles and I can taste that they just fecked the pickle out and gave it to me, bleurgh, like I wouldn't notice! That and coffee, makes me gag when people even drink it near me.

Edit: And celery and marzipan! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 CrispMan

curry

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

CrispMan wrote: »
    curry

standard chipper type curry, can not stand it, ruins food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Seaweed - really tried just can`t eat it. And meat but thats cause I`m vegy not cause I can`t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

SUSHI!! forgot that....
    and any tempora type stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

There are so many foods I cannot stand, it's ridiculous!

Kethcup, mayonaise, coleslaw, brown sauce, custard, ANY vegetable (apart from potato any vegetable I've tried has been disgusting), beans, peas, banana, peach, pear, eggs (cooked any way, it doesn't matter), any type of fish (especially tuna - the smell makes me wanna throw up), duck, liver, vinegar, garlic, liquorice and beer.

Also don't eat oranges, mushrooms, peppers or hazelnuts but that's due to the texture, not the taste.

There are more, I'm sure, but that will do for now. At least I'm not as bad as Cocolola! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Shouldn't the title of this thread be "Food you just won't eat"?

Unless you have a serious allergy you can eat any food but because of taste issues, you won't.
    It really bugs me when people say they "can't" eat something and it turns out that they just don't like it!:mad:

Anybody????

Anybody????

I stand by the fact that I can't eat liver, even if the reason is that I don't like it.
    I swear my throat closes over and I start to gag.

• Advertisement

Kooli wrote: »
    I stand by the fact that I can't eat liver, even if the reason is that I don't like it.
    I swear my throat closes over and I start to gag.

Believe me, if you are ever starving - which I hope you never will be - you will wolf it down with glee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Anybody????

I'm with you!

Believe me, if you are ever starving - which I hope you never will be - you will wolf it down with glee.

Yes but if you're allergic to something, you'll probably wolf that down with glee too if you're actually starving!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Cheese, I hate the stuff. The only exception is when it's on pizza because then I load on the fillings so I can't actually taste it.

Tomato, cucumber, marzipan - they're all horrible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

The terrible thing is, I have no patience with fussy eaters!!

OMG I have no patience for it!

I have no problem with someone tasting something and deciding they dont like it. But I loate people who come along and are all childish about foods they have never tasted. Get a life! My OHs family are like that nad it wrecks my head when we are out with them.

When I go to a restaurant I will always order something I wouldnt ordinarily eat at home for example. But I could practically order their meals for them coz they are so dull and unadventurous!

Soup, (Oh but only if its veg, leek and potato, "god no I couldnt eat that"!)
    Roast dinner eg Turkey and ham,
    Apple pie
    Yawn
    Its a regular thing for them to ask me what im eating and all turn their nose up without tasting it. Or if one of them does eat it the rest of them look on with discust and then the taster spits it out!! Thats just annoying!!

Anyway, back to the thread!! (lol)

There is nothing I CANT/WONT eat, but I am not a fan of shellfish or avocado.
    I would still eat it though if it was cooked nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

I really can't think of anything I couldn't stomach at all, apart from lumpy mashed potatoes (absolutely vile).

One food I'm not a huge fan of is raw tomatoes - they're kind of crunchy and watery and have a really strange flavour that reminds me of chlorinated water or something. Ugh. I'll still eat them, but they're not very nice, not even the supposedly "delicious" cherry tomatoes everyone seems to like. Maybe they're an acquired taste or something? Paradoxically, they're one of my favourite foods when cooked. Can't beat a good tomato sauce for pasta, for example. It's hard to believe they can change flavour so dramatically when cooked. And I love ketchup too, and sundried/semi-sundried tomatoes, and even marinated uncooked tomatoes, like you'd have on bruschetta.

... Can't think of anything else. Some people on this seem to be verrry fussy. I don't understand how someone can not like cheese, for example. My life wouldn't be worth living without it! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

I go to Domino's and ask for pizza minus cheese!

I told my daughter that she was eating special cheese-free pizza for ages ... once she learned to read the game was up though :)
    Anything that's in any way rubbery or slimey, like oysters, or mushrooms :(

Yeah, I have a problem with slimy or generally textureless food like foie gras and tofu [shudders]

Even certain cheeses (which I love!) I can only have on bread or crackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I hate the texture, taste, and sound of watermelon.

For those who dislike turkey, is it because whenever you had it, it was always dry? I used to hate turkey until the fried turkey was invented. Now I love it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

Raisins, currants, tartare sauce and lots of other funny sauces like that.
    Love ketchup though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

I have very little patience for fussy eaters. I hate when I'm ordering pizzas with a group, and we have to rule out so many toppings just because one person refuses to eat them.

Well, having said that I can understand if someone genuinely dislikes a certain food. What annoys me is when they decide they hate something but have never actually tried it. Your opinion isn't valid if you haven't even tasted the thing!

Personally I hate tuna. Tinned tuna at least, I've never tried tuna steak but I've heard it's a lot nicer than the tinned stuff.
    The only thing I hate more than tuna is sweetcorn (the combination of the two is like a nightmare food for me).
    Sweetcorn smells awful, doesn't taste much better, isn't visually appealing and has an unfortunate ability to withstand the digestive process.
    I think sweetcorn should be banned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Just to point out, I know I said I can't stand a lot of foods, and it's not a case of having not tried them.
    Most of them would make me feel very ill.

But what I hate when you *have* tried something before and dislike it, you get the 'HOW can you not like X??!! you weirdo!, here try this one, the one you tasted must have had something wrong with it'.
    Eh no... I tried & dislike so don't force it on me thank you very much.
    Like Milkshakes, I love icecream but hate melted/melty icecream, turns my stomach, but apparently how can I like icecream and not milkshakes :rolleyes:

I get that certain foods turn certain people off, and no one should feel bad for that. If you're just going 'ugh don't like' without trying then that's different.

face1990 wrote: »
    Personally I hate tuna. Tinned tuna at least, I've never tried tuna steak but I've heard it's a lot nicer than the tinned stuff.
    The only thing I hate more than tuna is sweetcorn (the combination of the two is like a nightmare food for me).
    Sweetcorn smells awful, doesn't taste much better, isn't visually appealing and has an unfortunate ability to withstand the digestive process.

I, too, hate tinned tuna (although I love fresh tuna cooked rare).
    To be honest, I don't like any tinned fish.
    I love fresh sweetcorn, and don't mind frozen but I find the smell of tinned sweetcorn vile!

Tuna and sweetcorn pasta :eek::eek::eek: yeuch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭evenmicheal

All vegetables, just take up space on the plate.

star-pants wrote: »
    Just to point out, I know I said I can't stand a lot of foods, and it's not a case of having not tried them.
    Most of them would make me feel very ill.

If that's the case, you have allergies or some condition as opposed to being a fussy eater.
    star-pants wrote: »
    But what I hate when you *have* tried something before and dislike it, you get the 'HOW can you not like X??!! you weirdo!, here try this one, the one you tasted must have had something wrong with it'.
    Eh no... I tried & dislike so don't force it on me thank you very much.

I love olives now but I most certainly didn't like my fist olive or my second or my third.... I firmly believe that one's tastes change over time and that we get accustomed to and like tastes that we once may have hated.

I know that I shouldn't take it personally but I grew up in a community that had a long tradition of producing sweetcorn (and soybeans). We actually have an annual Sweetcorn festival that should be going on this week (there's even a beauty pageant).

Maybe you just ain't had it right? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

I know that I shouldn't take it personally but I grew up in a community that had a long tradition of producing sweetcorn (and soybeans). We actually have an annual Sweetcorn festival that should be going on this week (there's even a beauty pageant).

Maybe you just ain't had it right? :D

Possibly. Maybe it's just the tinned stuff that's awful, like with tuna.

I think I'm going to have nightmares now about being stuck at a sweetcorn festival! :p

Possibly. Maybe it's just the tinned stuff that's awful, like with tuna.

I think I'm going to have nightmares now about being stuck at a sweetcorn festival! :p

Pardon my ignorance but is fresh corn available over there? I really took for granted the availability and standardness of corn before I joined this board.

And being stuck at the festival may be a dream come true! There are usually amusement park rides like small roller coasters, I think some water rides, and other games and activities that you would find at a fair. And, you get as much free roasted and buttered sweet corn that you like. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I won't eat celery... it tastes horrible horrible horrible to me... other than that any other food is fair game.

I won't drink tea or coffee, same as celery, tastes horrible to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

I won't eat celery... it tastes horrible horrible horrible to me... other than that any other food is fair game.

I won't drink tea or coffee, same as celery, tastes horrible to me...

I couldn't imagine life without tea or coffee:eek: Tea breaks me for are tea time, thats such an Irish thing isn't it.
    I agree with you about celery though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭morcheen k

i hate celery and don't drink tea or coffee too )

have you ever gone back to a food and given it a second try and liked it ?
    i did it with red/yellow/green ,are they called bell ? peppers :)

Advertisement