Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young scobes,able bodied using free travel passes on city buses?

Options
  • 26-07-2010 6:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

I see this alot on the Dooradoyle bus,scrotes getting onto the bus using free travel passes and i mean fit,able bodied young guys
    I know this because there is a rented house in a my road which is a rent allowance house and there is a rough young crowd living there(thats another story) but anyway going into town today who gets on the bus after 2 lads from that house and bang both have frree travel passes WTF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

AFAIK you get those passes cheap-ish in DUB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Where is the clamp down on this :mad: Isn't there inspectors?!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Im living in Raheen 10+ yrs now and ive never seen an inspector on the bus into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

back in the 1950's, where a bus inspector was still actually a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭LucyLouLou

I've seen loads of these guys with these passes, Don't think the inspectors care to be honest, I was on the bus home to Dooradoyle a few weeks ago after dropping my daughter to school so it was about 9am and two guys got on.One shows his pass and then proceeds to tell the bus driver that he is retarded and the other guy was his helper, driver just said ok and they sat down, two of them were pissed as farts as well. Inspector got on at the next stop and the two guys tell him the same story and he just rolls his eyes and left them alone. I suppose he didn't need the hassle of trying so kick two drunk scobes off the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I've seen the Bus inspector lots of times on the Raheen bus.
    Comes on and if you have your ticket fine, and if you dont
    then thats OK too as he tells you ya should have it. Same Lad
    has been around for years. Very pleasent chap but heck
    his job makes no sense and serves no purpose.

See quite a lot of people use this "Bus Pass" that looks like there is absoultly nothing at all wrong with them apart from being lazy sods.

On the 304A from about the Crescent shopping centre onwards towards the City center I've never seen anyone pay. Lots of people get on with a pass of some shape or form, I've often wondered just what or why they have the free pass.

There is a couple that get on for free quite a lot of times
    I've been on the bus. A girl that looks like something wrong with her along side a fella/slash boyfriend that
    is always with her, they seem to get free travel everywhere, as I've been on the Bus to Cork, Dublin, Galway
    a few times and have seen them get on the bus and always flash this magical card, Getting on and off any bus
    they liked.

(with all that said, If I had my way there would be free public transport for all and have the cost taken as a percentage of taxes)

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I know somebody who is so lazy, scamming any welfare she can, that she uses a carers pass for the bus of a WOMAN WHO IS NOW DEAD!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Berty wrote: »
    I know somebody who is so lazy, scamming any welfare she can, that she uses a carers pass for the bus of a WOMAN WHO IS NOW DEAD!

jesus thats desperate, no conscience

• Registered Users Posts: 13 VanV

Why don't you report her then? A person like that I'd have her shopped in 10 seconds. People like that are costing you and me money and it's no wonder the country is the way it is. Report her!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Sorry to disagree with you all here,but disabilities take more forms than just the physical.

I know one or two people who have passes who look "able bodied".
    Also AFAIK some passes entitle the bearer +1 to free travel.
    Blame the system,not the players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

VanV wrote: »
    Why don't you report her then? A person like that I'd have her shopped in 10 seconds. People like that are costing you and me money and it's no wonder the country is the way it is. Report her!

how is that costing us money? how did that shape the countries current economic condition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Dude, report her, she's taking money from your taxes.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

srfc19 wrote: »
    how is that costing us money? how did that shape the countries current economic condition?

I don't think anyone has suggested that skobes riding the bus for for free caused the recession ;)

However, people abusing free travel passes costs money if the Government has to supplement Bus Éireann for every free ride taken by chancers in Limerick. I doubt it's a major drain on tax resources, but it probably adds up to several thousand euro a year if these people are dodging fares often.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

I don't think anyone has suggested that skobes riding the bus for for free caused the recession ;)

However, people abusing free travel passes costs money if the Government has to supplement Bus Éireann for every free ride taken by chancers in Limerick. I doubt it's a major drain on tax resources, but it probably adds up to several thousand euro a year if these people are dodging fares often.

But reporting someone for getting a few free rides on a bus just seems so lousy.

At the end of the day, it's not going to benefit the person who does the reporting. You will never see any return from it and it's not like you will get rewarded with free public transport yourself.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

But reporting someone for getting a few free rides on a bus just seems so lousy.

At the end of the day, it's not going to benefit the person who does the reporting. You will never see any return from it and it's not like you will get rewarded with free public transport yourself.

I know what you mean. It all seems a bit selfish. "I have to pay so everyone else should too", that kind of thing.

It's understandable though. If someone who's fully fit and healthy gets on for free when everyone else has to cough up cash, it's not fair on the people who do pay.

I think people are extra upset here because it cheapens the value of passes for people who really need them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

It's not so much the free bus pass as the fact she uses every scam going seemingly. Bending a few rules is fine-ish, but taking the piss deserves to be reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

bigpink wrote: »
    I see this alot on the Dooradoyle bus,scrotes getting onto the bus using free travel passes and i mean fit,able bodied young guys
    I know this because there is a rented house in a my road which is a rent allowance house and there is a rough young crowd living there(thats another story) but anyway going into town today who gets on the bus after 2 lads from that house and bang both have frree travel passes WTF

There's a family of them that get onto the bus across from the newer council office almost every time I'm on the bus. Awful family with three horrificly behaved children, who all smell, and guess what ... free travel pass and nothing (physically) wrong with either parent. Drives me mental:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭LucyLouLou

There's a family of them that get onto the bus across from the newer council office almost every time I'm on the bus. Awful family with three horrificly behaved children, who all smell, and guess what ... free travel pass and nothing (physically) wrong with either parent. Drives me mental:mad:

I know exactly who you're talking about, the children are the dirtiest kids I've ever seen, I'd love to give them a good scrub with a wire brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

LucyLouLou wrote: »
    I know exactly who you're talking about, the children are the dirtiest kids I've ever seen, I'd love to give them a good scrub with a wire brush.

Everybody on the bus has the same reaction when they get on. Those poor kids stand no chance of a bright future. :(

(ooh, 100 posts, yay me!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Sorry to disagree with you all here,but disabilities take more forms than just the physical.

+1.
    I work with many young people in Limerick who are able-bodied yet have Acquired Brian Injurys, all whom should be fully entitled to the free bus pass.

Just because you cannot see a physical disability doesn't mean they don't have unseen disabilitys that prevent them from driving/cycling etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

panda100 wrote: »
    +1.
    I work with many young people in Limerick who are able-bodied yet have Acquired Brian Injurys, all whom should be fully entitled to the free bus pass.

Is this what a Brian Injury looks like?
    _42941797_brian_cowen_203.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

+1, I have a pass that social welfare actually suggested I got for when I was diagnosed with aspergers syndrome and went on disability, I'm sure some people do unfortuneatly abuse the free pass scheme but just because someone doesnt look physically like they are disabled doesnt mean they are not

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

I think most people posting here are just upset about certain people that are obviously abusing the system. No one can complain about people who deserve to have these passes for whatever disability it may be. Its along the same lines of social welfare fraud.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Do they live in Dooradoyle??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

People here don't seem to be getting that just because you don't know what the persons reason is for having a bus pass doesn't mean they don't have one, and a valid one at that.

It is not just for people with physical disabilities. And it is not your place to try figure out if someone should have one or not. If you know of someone that is using one when they shouldn't report them. Otherwise, mind your own business, and stop begrudging people for having things that you don't.

I asked in another forum about how to switch doctors when on a medical card, and I got told basically I shouldn't be allowed to switch doctors because I'm getting it for free :rolleyes: I mean FFS, what's wrong with people!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭zing zong

bigpink wrote: »

While I agree that the travel pass scam isn't on, I don't appreciate how you equate rent allowance to scum bags.

(granted you didn't explicitly say it, but the fact that you thought to mention that it was a "rent allowence house" at all, is a clear indication that to you rent allowance and scum bags go hand in hand)

there is a recession on, a lot of people are now on rent allowance, especially in Limerick, and while the lads you talk about could very well be scumbags, please don't try to link rent allowance to being a scumbag, it's childish

The actual driver is meant to take in what the card actually states as a disability, which most don't bother to do, most drivers just wave them on.

but people should remember that things like depression is considered a disability and therefore (rightly or wrongly) they get a card, a guy I know of has one, yet he looks the picture of health

zing zong wrote: »
    The actual driver is meant to take in what the card actually states as a disability, which most don't bother to do, most drivers just wave them on.

but people should remember that things like depression is considered a disability and therefore (rightly or wrongly) they get a card, a guy I know of has one, yet he looks the picture of health

Wow. fúckin hell.

People with depression don't go round lookin miserable all their lives, and don't get taken off their medication if they get caught crackin a smile, ya know? Jesus I can't believe there are people this ignorant. AND people with depression don't get travel passes. Although it should be considered a type of disability in some cases.

I'm also fairly sure it doesn't state on the pass itself what reason the person has for having the pass.

Wow. fúckin hell.

People with depression don't go round lookin miserable all their lives, and don't get taken off their medication if they get caught crackin a smile, ya know? Jesus I can't believe there are people this ignorant. AND people with depression don't get travel passes. Although it should be considered a type of disability in some cases.

I'm also fairly sure it doesn't state on the pass itself what reason the person has for having the pass.

you have completely misinterpreted what i said. people seem to think that to have a pass, you must look physically disabled, and im pointing out that isn't the case, hence he has a pass due to depression YET he looks the picture of health

and while the cards to go very specific regarding the disability, they are colour coded, different colours for the different groups of disabilities that the pass covers

• Advertisement

zing zong wrote: »
    you have completely misinterpreted what i said. people seem to think that to have a pass, you must look physically disabled, and im pointing out that isn't the case, hence he has a pass due to depression YET he looks the picture of health

Right, if you weren't saying all that then fine. I just don't have any tolerance for people with an ignorance to illnesses and disabilities. For some reason depression isn't considered serious enough to be an illness.

Advertisement