Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

driving

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

oldyouth wrote: »
    So many laws ignored or broken and he hasn't even turned the key in the ignition yet.

Another 17 yr old male on the road who has everything sussed. Just what we need.

My exact thought when reading that post...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

djimi wrote: »
    You what now...? How did you swing that?!!

Entered in my details and price came up :P

I was a bit shocked myself!

Entered in my details and price came up :P

I was a bit shocked myself!

Fair play; grab it with both hands! Im 27 and still cant get a quote on a Celica... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Fair play; grab it with both hands! Im 27 and still cant get a quote on a Celica... :mad:

jaysus man, where are you trying?
    GT-Four though I'd assume you're trying?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Not cheap though at €2,100 but still that's €200 cheaper than my micra :D It's ridiculous though. I can get quoted on a celica but am getting more expensive/no quotes on civics, colts, starlets, lancers etc... with smaller engines. Probably because they're more of an insurance risk.

I think insurance on my micra this year will be about €1,600.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

SV wrote: »
    yeah cos 1.9td engines are serious weapons.

:rolleyes:

They are if VW make them. 0-60 is too quick to measure.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Stekelly wrote: »
    They are if VW make them. 0-60 is too quick to measure.:)

true, enough torque to turn the world backwards too.

jaysus man, where are you trying?
    GT-Four though I'd assume you're trying?

Tbf I didnt make a whole lot of effort but I did try a few companies and was told no. Once I discovered I could get insurance on the ITR the idea of a Celica went out the window.

Id like a GT-Four obviously, but from what I recall a lot of companies didnt like Celicas full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Ozil wrote: »
    The sooner the government introduce engine limits on learner permit drivers the better. I don't want to share the road with this clown in a 1.9 td.

Yea, but what's the point in limiting engine size, as much more important thing is power/weight ratio.

What's the point in limiting someone to drive Audi A6 1.9 diesel, if the same person can get Cinquecento Sporting 1.1 which will be faster.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

CiniO wrote: »
    Yea, but what's the point in limiting engine size, as much more important thing is power/weight ratio.

What's the point in limiting someone to drive Audi A6 1.9 diesel, if the same person can get Cinquecento Sporting 1.1 which will be faster.

What's the point in limiting engine sizes when there's a lot of drivers out there with engines bigger then their books?

Its either never going to be enforced or end up being too tedious and time consuming to enforce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

What's the point in limiting engine sizes when there's a lot of drivers out there with engines bigger then their books?

Its either never going to be enforced or end up being too tedious and time consuming to enforce.

But then it becomes not legal.

Anyway in my personal opinion, there's not a point in limiting engine or power at all. It's a matter to educate drivers before we allow them on the road.
    And driver can cause the same kind of damage in 3.5 supra or 1.0 micra.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Ozil wrote: »
    The sooner the government introduce engine limits on learner permit drivers the better. I don't want to share the road with this clown in a 1.9 td.

ohh no the much feared VAG 1.9 TDI and all its power and speed , i hear nasa are using it for rockets now.

Seriously thats not what we need, doesnt matter if your in a 60hp car or a 400hp car, if you want to be a know it all 17 year old idiot you will be and if you want to show off to your mates by doing 100mph on a backroad or throw your legs out the window of your glanza starlet your going to do it no matter what size engine you have.
    lol, why can I picture this lad goin to his friends "sure dey can't touch me d guards cant..sure i just say im on a working holidayyyyy, easy as lad"

treating it like diplomatic immunity as he does 100 down the quays smokin a joint with his burberry hat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

This seems to be the best option for young drivers these days,all you do is book 10 lessons with aviva,once you have the first lesson done ring them and tell them and they will put you on your parents policy!

Seems to good to be true but its not!

Tomebagel wrote: »
    This seems to be the best option for young drivers these days,all you do is book 10 lessons with aviva,once you have the first lesson done ring them and tell them and they will put you on your parents policy!

Seems to good to be true but its not!

for a fee, and then the 50% off, 50% off 3 grand is still 1500 left to pay, its helpful but not cheap

CiniO wrote: »
    But then it becomes not legal.

Anyway in my personal opinion, there's not a point in limiting engine or power at all. It's a matter to educate drivers before we allow them on the road.
    And driver can cause the same kind of damage in 3.5 supra or 1.0 micra.

Yes but an inexperienced driver is far more likely to lose control of a Supra then they are of a Micra.

I fully agree that there should be limits on what drivers can drive after passing their test. Im not sure engine size is a good criteria; maybe something like insurance class would be a better criteria to use. There is no way that someone who has just passed their driving test should be allowed jump behind the wheel of something like a Supra or a GT-R, not until they have a few years experience behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

for a fee, and then the 50% off, 50% off 3 grand is still 1500 left to pay, its helpful but not cheap

I meant the 10 driving lessons and 6months insurance free on his mothers car, By the time the 6months is up he could have his full licence and that will make insurance alot cheaper!

Thats a fantastic offer tbf. If more insurance companies were doing things like this then it wouldnt be so bloody expensive to start driving in this country.

Thats a fantastic offer tbf. If more insurance companies were doing things like this then it wouldnt be so bloody expensive to start driving in this country.

this is true , and atleast theyve taken a sensible approach , are any of those companies that do gps tracking on cars still about ? its the most stupid and invasive idea ever

Advertisement