Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

driving

Options
  • 26-07-2010 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

im 17 tomorrow and want to get driving straight away bu dnt no whats the best car to buy and cheapest insurance around. i gt a quote 4 my mams peougeot 406 1.9 diesel n twas guna be 2/3 grand :O need help

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Have you done your theory test?

You should resign yourself to the fact that you're going to be paying at least 2k, if not over 3k for insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 micky93

yeh i have. i was thinking of going to england and buyin a car n isurance n drivin it over n sayin im on a working holiday n de guards cnt say anything to me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

micky93 wrote: »
    yeh i have. i was thinking of going to england and buyin a car n isurance n drivin it over n sayin im on a working holiday n de guards cnt say anything to me
    Except the car will be taken off you because you won't have paid VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Sure they cant. That plan cant fail

How is it that all we had to do was ask the advice of some random 17 year old and none of us would have to pay VRT.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

That really doesnt make sense.
    Unless you have a place to reside to england you wont get insurance (afaik) nor will you be able to use that "trick".

have you looked into getting insured as a named driver under your mother?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

Except the car will be taken off you because you won't have paid VRT.

And get banned for not having valid insurance :rolleyes:

I guess you'll just have to pay the same as everyone else did :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Please don't use "Text Speak" in your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

Gonna find it very hard to get insurance cheap.

When i was 17, i was quoted for 2400k from Quinn for a 1 litre Micra, and that was when Quinn were doing good business and supposedly one of the 'best' for young drivers.

Get a small car, like a Micra, yaris, polo and get your mother or father to get the insurance in there own name which shouldn't cost much and then get you added as a named driver which should only cost maybe a 1000k, maybe less.

All though inurance in your own name is better as the claims you earn are worth more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

What's the rush to get a car? It's crazy money with insurance and all at your age, why not get insured on a parents car and wait till you've passed the Driving Test?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can't drive on your own while on a Learner Permit and you can't take the test until you've had your first permit at least 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

spurious wrote: »
    You can't drive on your own while on a Learner Permit and you can't take the test until you've had your first permit at least 6 months.

He probably knows this, most people do, but it won't stop them driving on their own unqualified

• Registered Users Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Glad to see someone is really taking the art of learning to drive seriously :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

While reading it I'm thinking of how lucky I was that when I became 17 I started driving straight away. It was in Poland. I got my full licence about 2 weeks after my 17th birthday. I drove my dad's car for 2 years (when he had a will to lend it to me). But he never had to pay any additional insurance, as in Poland the rules are, that if the car is insured, everyone can drive it. 2 years after when I was 19, I got my first car, and registered it and insured it together with my dad which allowed me to use his No Claims Bonus, and also start collectig NCB on my own name. Insurace costed me about 100 euros a year.
    When I started driving in Ireland, I already was 25 and had 6 years no claims bonus, so I could get my insurance very cheap - under 500 euros a year.

To be honest, sometimes I feel sorry for poor young Irish lads, who have it really dificult to start driving, as it costs fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭lau1247

if you're gonna spend two or three grand just on the insurance on your man's car.. why not get a micra which can easily come under 1 grand.. blow the other 2 on insurance.. you might even have left over..

sure a micra is no 406 equivalent but if you look at it the other way you'll have your own car, it all works out about the same and you'll be collecting NCB under your own name.

just a thought

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

lol for a start you dont even have a licence yet to drive outside of ireland so the cops would rape you. and o yea the gaurd is gona believe that your on a working holiday with and iriah accent and irish learner permit lmao.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭2yung2adm

CiniO wrote: »
    While reading it I'm thinking of how lucky I was that when I became 17 I started driving straight away. It was in Poland. I got my full licence about 2 weeks after my 17th birthday. I drove my dad's car for 2 years (when he had a will to lend it to me). But he never had to pay any additional insurance, as in Poland the rules are, that if the car is insured, everyone can drive it. 2 years after when I was 19, I got my first car, and registered it and insured it together with my dad which allowed me to use his No Claims Bonus, and also start collectig NCB on my own name. Insurace costed me about 100 euros a year.
    When I started driving in Ireland, I already was 25 and had 6 years no claims bonus, so I could get my insurance very cheap - under 500 euros a year.

To be honest, sometimes I feel sorry for poor young Irish lads, who have it really dificult to start driving, as it costs fortune.
    ...and poland has the 2nd highest rate of fatal accidents in the EU after Italy.
    I feel sorry for all those dead young lads in poland who had no problem getting a driving license and insurance

2yung2adm wrote: »
    ...and poland has the 2nd highest rate of fatal accidents in the EU after Italy.
    I feel sorry for all those dead young lads in poland who had no problem getting a driving license and insurance

Maybe in whole figures - yes. But if you divide it by the number of citizens I'm sure Italy is safer. But on the other hand there's few other countries where it's worse like Lithuania, Latvia, Romania, etc..

Anyway - who said there's no problem getting driving license?
    That's how it works in Ireland. People just pass a theory test, and start driving - accompanied or not (more likely not). That's crazy.
    In Poland before anyone is allowed on the road, he/she has to pass a full driving test, which is more strict then the one in Ireland.

About insurance - yes - there's no problem to obtain a cheap insurance even for young lads. And I don't see anything wrong with it.
    Most accidents are caused not by young lads, but by drivers with good few or or even 10 or 20 years driving experience who fell that they are kings of the road.
    And stupid law which gives only little penalties for a serious traffic offenses helps it.
    F.E you can easily do 200km/h in the centre of the town, and you will just get a ticket of 120 euros and few penalty points.
    No court apperiances for dangerous driving or dangerous overtaking.
    Beside pretty big traffic (all transport between Russia, Ukraine, etc to the West of Europe goes through Poland) and lack of motorways and proper road makes it even more dangerous. In the end a stupid habbit with most drivers to overtake everyone as possible.

All this make Polish roads so dangerous.
    It has nothing to do with young drivers.
    Actually drivers in first year after obtaing a full license, are much less likely to cause an serious accident then people who had been driving for 5 years. That's official statistics.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

OP, just start out in something small like a micra or yaris. Sure it's not that fast or the best looking or whatever but it'll be worth it in the long run. Expect to pay anywhere from €2000 upwards for insurance if you're going for your own policy, which you should if you can afford it.

I turned 18 in May and started driving when I was 17. I now have my full license and hopefully will have a years NCB in September. I still have my micra but hoping to upgrade soon. When I have my NCB I'll be able to get insured on a 1.8 Celica on my own policy for the same as what I paid for my Micra for my first year which is not bad at 18 and being male :P Just as an example

Just think about it this way. Start off small and by the time you're 21 you'll hopefully have 4 years no claims, full license and you'll be able to get insured on anything you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

lol, why can I picture this lad goin to his friends "sure dey can't touch me d guards cant..sure i just say im on a working holidayyyyy, easy as lad"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

I have my doubts whether our man micky93 will be back to respond.

We should probably start donating toward the "micky93 drives - we die" campaign for next year. :(

• Advertisement

CiniO wrote: »
    Maybe in whole figures - yes. But if you divide it by the number of citizens I'm sure Italy is safer. But on the other hand there's few other countries where it's worse like Lithuania, Latvia, Romania, etc..

Anyway - who said there's no problem getting driving license?
    I'd say that's how it works in Ireland. People just pass a theory test, and start driving - accompanied or not (more likely not). That's crazy.
    In Poland before anyone is allowed on the road, he/she has to pass a full driving test, which is more strict then the one in Ireland.

About insurance - yes - there's no problem to obtain a cheap insurance even for young lads. And I don't see anything wrong with it.
    Most accidents are caused not by young lads, but by drivers with good few or or even 10 or 20 years driving experience who fell that they are kings of the road.
    And stupid law which gives only little penalties for a serious traffic offenses helps it.
    F.E you can easily do 200km/h in the centre of the town, and you will just get a ticket of 120 euros and few penalty points.
    No court apperiances for dangerous driving or dangerous overtaking.
    Beside pretty big traffic (all transport between Russia, Ukraine, etc to the West of Europe goes through Poland) and lack of motorways and proper road makes it even more dangerous. In the end a stupid habbit with most drivers to overtake everyone as possible.

All this make Polish roads so dangerous.
    It has nothing to do with young drivers.
    Actually drivers in first year after obtaing a full license, are much less likely to cause an serious accident then people who had been driving for 5 years. That's official statistics.

Having driven in poland I know what you mean, but getting a driving license without ever driving on a public road seems odd and perhaps dangerous. Poland has a high rate of fatal accidents involving younger drivers but as you say when there are no proper deterrents in place you get carnage on the roads caused by all age groups.

Having driven in poland I know what you mean, but getting a driving license without ever driving on a public road seems odd and perhaps dangerous. Poland has a high rate of fatal accidents involving younger drivers but as you say when there are no proper deterrents in place you get carnage on the roads caused by all age groups.

I probably didn't wrote it precisely.
    I meant, that you can say many bad things about road safety in Poland, but obtaining driving license is very strict and difficult.
    You have to take at least 30 hours lessons with instructor.
    Theory test is much more detailed than in Ireland, and practical test is really difficult.
    Thing I was saying about starting driving straight ahead after passing theory test, is in Ireland. Because that's pretty much how it works here - pass a theory test, apply for provisional and start driving. And the truth is, that most of learner drivers don't really care about full licence driver to accomapny them. That's wrong, and I hope it'll be changed soon (at least by putting through this obligatory lesson with instructor - hopefully they will make them obligatory even before a learner can drive his own car).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

We're way off the point of the thread now. You won't be able to run from the Guards or Revenue for long without paying VRT. As long as you're ok with having you car crushed, go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Ozil

The sooner the government introduce engine limits on learner permit drivers the better. I don't want to share the road with this clown in a 1.9 td.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Mak_United wrote: »
    Gonna find it very hard to get insurance cheap.

When i was 17, i was quoted for 2400k from Quinn for a 1 litre Micra, and that was when Quinn were doing good business and supposedly one of the 'best' for young drivers.

Get a small car, like a Micra, yaris, polo and get your mother or father to get the insurance in there own name which shouldn't cost much and then get you added as a named driver which should only cost maybe a 1000k, maybe less.

All though inurance in your own name is better as the claims you earn are worth more.

JESUS CHRIST, 2 MILLION ON INSURANCE!?

in other news, I'm feeling distinctly old that someone born in 93 can be driving. I remember 93 like.

Confab wrote: »
    We're way off the point of the thread now. You won't be able to run from the Guards or Revenue for long without paying VRT. As long as you're ok with having you car crushed, go for it.

We do digress from time to time but I do not think we strayed too far as we are still discussing the pros and cons of how licenses and insurances are obtained and circumvented.
    Having said that I think micky93 is only taking the mickey

• Registered Users Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

ottostreet wrote: »
    JESUS CHRIST, 2 MILLION ON INSURANCE!?

in other news, I'm feeling distinctly old that someone born in 93 can be driving. I remember 93 like.

You feel old?????????

I passed my test in 93 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Ozil wrote: »
    The sooner the government introduce engine limits on learner permit drivers the better. I don't want to share the road with this clown in a 1.9 td.

yeah cos 1.9td engines are serious weapons.

:rolleyes:

R.O.R wrote: »
    You feel old?????????

I passed my test in 93 :(

haaaaaahahaha

ah that's rough, sorry. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

So many laws ignored or broken and he hasn't even turned the key in the ignition yet.

Another 17 yr old male on the road who has everything sussed. Just what we need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

OP, just start out in something small like a micra or yaris. Sure it's not that fast or the best looking or whatever but it'll be worth it in the long run. Expect to pay anywhere from €2000 upwards for insurance if you're going for your own policy, which you should if you can afford it.

I turned 18 in May and started driving when I was 17. I now have my full license and hopefully will have a years NCB in September. I still have my micra but hoping to upgrade soon. When I have my NCB I'll be able to get insured on a 1.8 Celica on my own policy for the same as what I paid for my Micra for my first year which is not bad at 18 and being male :P Just as an example

Just think about it this way. Start off small and by the time you're 21 you'll hopefully have 4 years no claims, full license and you'll be able to get insured on anything you want.

You what now...? How did you swing that?!!

Advertisement