Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Larry Murphy (Read mod note on post 1 before posting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Damn I thought this was the Larry Mullen thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

sam34 wrote: »
    what?:confused: no, i am not saying that.

murphy has not had a "proven psychotic episode"

there has never been a report of him having had a psychotic episode.

him using the phrase "i flipped" does not mean he had a psychotic episode.

psychosis is a mental illness.

psychopathy/psychopathic behaviour/psychopathic personality disorder is not, and these people are specifically exempt from being detained under the act (unless they also have a mental illness that fits teh criteria)

i have no idea where or under what legislation or grounds malcolm macarthur is still incarcerated.

Fair enough, i'm not having a go btw. What I'm really getting at is that his own words could have been used against him.
    If this man had committed his crime in Britain, and it's only my opinion, I believe he would have been locked up for life, eventually in a psychiatric institution.
    I'm not part of a lynching mob but I believe, as most people do, that this man is a psychopath and should be forced to have treatment. If current legislation does not provide for this, then the law has to be changed.
    I really don't see what the problem is here tbh. i'm not asking for the guy to executed, lynched etc but having received no treatment he should not be walking the streets today.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,674 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Amalgam wrote: »
    If he goes off and commits further crime, you won't hear a ****ing thing from the same bozos going all lefty on *his* rights etc..
    How about we look at this from the Broader Perspective, Hmm?

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/philip_howard.html

The above video is mandatory viewing. In the example provided, if a child hurts themselves on a school playground slide, and the parents sue: you can bet that every school in the country would remove slides from their playgrounds. What affects One Case has wide-reaching implications for society.

You let the public witch-hunt this guy, whether they are right to or not, nothing will stop them from witch-hunting everybody that gets out of prison.

More bluntly, if your justice system feels so skewed to you that you need to manhunt someone for your own sense of vigilante justice, Why not fix the system instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

They should make him wear a red and white stripey jumper, at least then people can have a bit of fun trying to spot him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

doccy wrote: »
    Fair enough, i'm not having a go btw. What I'm really getting at is that his own words could have been used against him.
    If this man had committed his crime in Britain, and it's only my opinion, I believe he would have been locked up for life, eventually in a psychiatric institution.
    I'm not part of a lynching mob but I believe, as most people do, that this man is a psychopath and should be forced to have treatment. If current legislation does not provide for this, then the law has to be changed.
    I really don't see what the problem is here tbh. i'm not asking for the guy to executed, lynched etc but having received no treatment he should not be walking the streets today.

i know you're not having a go. i'm just saying that a lot of people seem to think the psychiatric services should automatically care for this guy, and this is just not possible under current legislation. why should the law be changed to force the psychiatric services to take him in, when he doesnt have a treatable mental illness? if anything, should it not be changed to allow the criminal justice system to detain him indefinitely?

i'm not sure either what treatment people think he should get.... there are no drugs which will change his underlying personality and make him a normal person rather than a psychopath. maybe very intensive psychotherapy would be of some (limited) benefit, but it would be utterly useless unless he wanted to participate in it, and even then it may not have much impact. you cannot force someone to participate meaningfully in psycological therapy... you could force them to attend appointments, but thats about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭jordan..

How people argue this guys rights is beyond me! This guy is clearly guilty and has shown no remorse what so ever! He is a danger to society, what happens if he flips again!?
    When the FBI say this guy should not be released it kinda makes you stand up and take note!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

i have no idea where or under what legislation or grounds malcolm macarthur is still incarcerated.

Shelton Abbey, County Wicklow.

in fairness, you cant detain someone in psychiatric care because they use a term like "i flipped" which is used in common parlance by hundreds of thousands of people every single day.

the phrase can and is used to describe a range of actions and emotions. it's not specific to any particular illness.

jordan.. wrote: »
    How people argue this guys rights is beyond me! This guy is clearly guilty and has shown no remorse what so ever! He is a danger to society, what happens if he flips again!?
    When the FBI say this guy should not be released it kinda makes you stand up and take note!

i'm not sure if this is directed at me, amongst others.

i am not standing up for him, or defending him in any way.

i believe he is a very real threat to society.

however, i am pointing out that he cannot be detained in psychiatric care under the mental health act 2001.

fwiw, i would love it of there were legislation that would ensure he remained in prison forevermore.

in fairness, you cant detain someone in psychiatric care because they use a term like "i flipped" which is used in common parlance by hundreds of thousands of people every single day.

the phrase can and is used to describe a range of actions and emotions. it's not specific to any particular illness.

Seriously. Very few people are using it to describe multiple rape and attempted murder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Overheal wrote: »
    More bluntly, if your justice system feels so skewed to you that you need to manhunt someone for your own sense of vigilante justice, Why not fix the system instead?

Please, stop talking down to me, I didn't say anything about manhunting, sometimes you need to balance the greater public good against the rights of one individual.

Yeah, yeah.. slippery slope and all that, my heart bleeds. This person has got a taste for a situation that empowers him, basically causing severe mischief on another person. A condition of release should have been an involvement in some sort of rehabilition. This person refused point blank. The outcome from that refusal should have been continued incarceration.

No manhunting or vigilante activity required.

A relative of mine, female, lives in his neck of the woods, so to speak. I do have an elevated sense of unease about that.

Seriously. Very few people are using it to describe multiple rape and attempted murder.

granted.

but its still not indicative of mental illness.

I think we'll agree to disagree.
    You believe this man does not fit the bill of someone who is mentally ill. Fair enough, I suspect you know a lot more on this subject than I do.
    However, I disagree. I think he is a danger to society and should be placed in an institution for the rest of his days, with no chance of release. Anything else to me is semantics.

I think we'll agree to disagree.
    You believe this man does not fit the bill of someone who is mentally ill. Fair enough, I suspect you know a lot more on this subject than I do.
    However, I disagree. I think he is a danger to society and should be placed in an institution for the rest of his days, with no chance of release. Anything else to me is semantics.

i've never said he is not a danger to society. however, his danger is not as a result of mental illness, thats my point.

i would prefer to see him locked up forever, but not in a psychiatric institution for the reasons i've already posted.

i think he should be in prison.

anyway, i've had enough of this thread, i'm off out :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

This just in EVIL VILE Rapist Larry Murphy has his dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

rovert wrote: »

Good , many will go hungry tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

I heard he has now in fact imprisoned the food in his stomach, without consent, and is now immersing it in acid!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Zombienosh wrote: »
    They should make him wear a red and white stripey jumper, at least then people can have a bit of fun trying to spot him.

His hoodie sticks out like dogs balls as it is. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 81,674 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Amalgam wrote: »
    Please, stop talking down to me,

Yeah, yeah.. slippery slope and all that, my heart bleeds.
    Dont tell me to stop talking down to you (when I hadn't talked down to you), and then talk down to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

His hoodie sticks out like dogs balls as it is. :p

What breed of dog would that be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

messymess wrote: »
    I heard he has now in fact imprisoned the food in his stomach, without consent, and is now immersing it in acid!!

He is also linked with eating a starter and dessert, but nothing can be proven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Overheal wrote: »
    if a child hurts themselves on a school playground slide, and the parents sue: you can bet that every school in the country would remove slides from their playgrounds. What affects One Case has wide-reaching implications for society.

The example you provide is totally irrelevant here. Legal precedent is something entirely different to what his happening in this Larry murphy mob hunt.
    Legal precedent is there to prevent abuse of the legal system that this very mob seem to show absolutely no regard for. It prevents judges from making arbitrary decisions in line with previous judgements, aligning judgements with the law as it is interpreted by the judiciary.

The freeing of larry murphy has nothing to do with setting a dangerous precedent. Let the courts service and the police do their jobs - It is appeasing the baying mobs and in that way setting a dangerous precendent that we need to be worried about here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

What breed of dog would that be?

A Jack Russle.

You couldn't get any lower. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

I feel for his brother and family, the brothers kids were getting abuse from some of the people. Why are they giving his brother such a hard time? Ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Last orders at the bar folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

super-rush wrote: »
    Last orders at the bar folks.

I'll have a Murphy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sron

mikom wrote: »
    I'll have a Murphy's.

In this economy? I'll take the slops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

A Jack Russle.

You couldn't get any lower. :p

I would have said golden retriever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

A few years ago my mother had one of her dogs castrated in an attempt to stop his humping of my mother's other dog - a Boxer bitch.

Whilst his little sack is now empty, this has not stopped his humping of the Boxer :D

If this happens in the canine world, could chemical or physical castration fail in the human population too?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement