Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learners on Motorways

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

This post has been deleted.

At least a dangerous fully licenses driver has passed their test, so while they might be a moron at least they have displayed some level of compentancy, enough to get their license anyway.

Im not saying that learners should be limited to 30mph but theres a big difference in speed between a 60mph road and a 75mph+ road, and I just dont feel its safe for learners to be on motorways. I know I would prefer not to have some nervous learner who has been driving for a month on the same road where Im travelling at 75mph.

Maybe its just my opinion, but from what I can gather almost every other country has the same law, so Im obviously not alone in my thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

True there are no signs. I asked the CCC and the NRA about it and nobody seemed to have a clear answer but just that Learners under Legislation were limited the maximum speed of a national route which was 100kph.

Yet when I asked "But if you changed a national route to 120kph like you have doesnt that mean that YOU are in defiance of the legislation in that case"

They never replied.

Why lorries are limited to 90kph(mostly) but they overtake. If a Learner limited to 100kph on a motorway were to come up behind a truck doing 80kph then they would have to overtake.

They would just not be allowed into the 3rd driving lane on the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,908 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

not being picky with your aguement, but i would have thought most people doing their lessons/test at present would live near a national road where the limit was up to 100km. If the above was the case then there would be a similar agruement for people making the transition from regional roads (50 to 80km) to national roads (up to 100km) after passing their test. Yes they wouldn't have to deal with merging and lane changing but traffic speed and volume would be a factor

personally, and thankfully, i live near a HQDC and was expected to go on it as part of my lessons and test, merging with traffic at 100km (was the scene of one of my grade 2's during my first test, hesentcy), having to overtake slower moving traffic, and leave DC again. Now may not prepare me totally for MW driving but i might have some tiny idea of what to expect.

idealy the first time i take to a MW i would like to have someone sitting on with me, the first time i took to the DC, 3rd or 4th lesson, i found slightly terrifying (mainly trying to match my speed and find a gap to merge into), and done so for another lesson or two. have no idea how i would find this with more traffic going 20km + quicker.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Given the standard of driving I've seen from learners on the ordinary roads, frankly it'd frighten the crap outta me to see these people (esp boy racers) let loose on the motorways without the benefit of a full licence! :eek: It's bad enough seeing them on the roads...

What I'd like to see is 3 to 6 compulsory lessons given on motorway driving after passing your test. In the same way it's proposed to show proof that the mandatory lessons with an ADI has to be shown, then these motorway lessons can be done in the same way.

Any fool can drive fast. The trick is to drive SAFELY at speed.

Absolutely - If you have the experience and know-how to control the car safely on the motorway. And yes - there'll always be idiots who have no regard for their safety, never mind anyone else's...

My own responses in BOLD

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭robdsherlock

Given the standard of driving I've seen from learners on the ordinary roads, frankly it'd frighten the crap outta me to see these people (esp boy racers) let loose on the motorways without the benefit of a full licence! :eek: It's bad enough seeing them on the roads...

its bad enough seeing them on the roads?? who are you kidding man? there hardly gona learn how to drive properly on a road by practiceing in a car park are they??
    dont forget that we all had to start on learner licences b4 and we were all young once in our lives....:rolleyes:
    except those who were handed there licence for noting

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

oldyouth wrote: »
    You are joking, right????

He's not. Sections of the N25 and N28 are 120km/h in Cork. Previously some of the N8 was but its now M8.

Meath (N2 now M2) and Louth (N1) do this too.

its bad enough seeing them on the roads?? who are you kidding man? there hardly gona learn how to drive properly on a road by practiceing in a car park are they??
    dont forget that we all had to start on learner licences b4 and we were all young once in our lives....:rolleyes:
    except those who were handed there licence for noting

For your information, I am a WOMAN!:D

I learnt to drive in London. In the UK, learners are NOT allowed to drive on the roads unaccompanied. This is something I've seen over here on a regular basis. This is why it scares the crap out of me seeing these people on the roads, with no real idea of what they're doing. I got my experience before my test by going out on the roads with my INSTRUCTOR. That way if anything happened, then the instructor was on hand to either take corrective action or to guide me through doing so.

Yes - we all had to learn once. That is why I have endless patience with learners. What I don't like to see is people obviously learning, out on the roads by themselves. That puts themselves as well as other road-users in danger. I would like to see learners much more strictly controlled. By that, I mean making sure that they are taught by competant, properly accredited (ADI) driving instructors, and that if they are out on the road, then accompanied by drivers with the relevant driving experience. And that the Gards SEE that this rule is enforced.

I am not sure what the rule is here but in the UK, if you accompany someone who's learning, then the driver must be over 25 and have held a licence for more than 3 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

oldyouth wrote: »
    You are joking, right????
    Nope! just after the Jack Lynch Tunnel to Midelton the dual carriageway is 120kmph. Also the bypass/ ring road near Ballincollig (not sure of actual name) has a 120knph limit. It is great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Cian92 wrote: »
    Nope! just after the Jack Lynch Tunnel to Midelton the dual carriageway is 120kmph. Also the bypass/ ring road near Ballincollig (not sure of actual name) has a 120knph limit. It is great!
    Hi Cian,

I take it from your username that you might have been born in 1992. making you 18. You've heard all the stories about 'I was young once' etc., but please my friend, you haven't experienced all that Ireland's roads can throw at you at your age. 120 kph is not great for an 18 year old and, please God, you'll go on to be 10 times the driver I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭robdsherlock

For your information, I am a WOMAN!:D

I learnt to drive in London. In the UK, learners are NOT allowed to drive on the roads unaccompanied. This is something I've seen over here on a regular basis. This is why it scares the crap out of me seeing these people on the roads, with no real idea of what they're doing. I got my experience before my test by going out on the roads with my INSTRUCTOR. That way if anything happened, then the instructor was on hand to either take corrective action or to guide me through doing so.

Yes - we all had to learn once. That is why I have endless patience with learners. What I don't like to see is people obviously learning, out on the roads by themselves. That puts themselves as well as other road-users in danger. I would like to see learners much more strictly controlled. By that, I mean making sure that they are taught by competant, properly accredited (ADI) driving instructors, and that if they are out on the road, then accompanied by drivers with the relevant driving experience. And that the Gards SEE that this rule is enforced.

I am not sure what the rule is here but in the UK, if you accompany someone who's learning, then the driver must be over 25 and have held a licence for more than 3 years...

point taken:)

my appologies for calling you a man, was just a figure of speach:D

i agree there is no enforcement of L drivers driving on there own but i guess its just irish nature sayn ahhh it'l be grand:D but ya it could do with a change....

point taken:)

my appologies for calling you a man, was just a figure of speach:D

It's cool :cool:. No offence taken!! :D

No, not really. My point remains that no learners should be allowed anywhere NEAR a motorway until they have passed their test IMO. The test shows the basic ability to drive safely, with consideration to other road users, and to take action appropriate to the road conditions. Motorway skills are something completely different, and should only be undertaken when you have the ABILITY and the confidence to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

some of the roads around cork should not be 120km/h, the road sufaces are in bits and if you go off the road you will go down an embankment into a security fence,

the day before my test i wasnt allowed on a motorway,
    i did my entire test in a 50km/h zone,
    after that i could drive on the motorway:)

i dont think they can change that until we get more motorways in the country,
    i have never seen a learner on the motorway do anything dangerous,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Separate driving test if you want to use a motorway imo. Not that the rsa would ever thing of anything like this though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

bladebrew wrote: »
    some of the roads around cork should not be 120km/h, the road sufaces are in bits and if you go off the road you will go down an embankment into a security fence, ,

The two sections of 120km/h DC in Cork have perfectly fine surfaces...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Well it depends on your definition of 'learner'.
    As I said in my previous post, As a learner I was able to drive on the roads no problems. but that was a learner who was 6months old if you like. A learner of 6days old... a different story.

The only difference between me and a learner who will remain on these roads even though they they can't actually use them is common sense actually,

and as for your comment in bold above, well that is what is wrong with the state of the roads imo. My bloody granny is capable of driving 120kph for gods sake. Doesn't mean she can control the car if there is a sudden gust of wind or if her circumstances change suddenly, ie: closed lane or someone in from jamming on.

I actually think that I was very intelligent behind the wheel when I was learning. I took my time, didn't try to learn too quickly and I knew my limits. I knew once I went on the motorway that I was not ready so I came off. The majority of the population don't do this and that is why the law is there.

Oh and I'll have to check but I'm fairly certain I said 60mph. If not, that is what I meant.

Well, as said above that is exactly what it takes and I, who am in the minority know this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Personally, I think L-Drivers shouldn't be allowed on motorways, but after they pass their test, they should have to do at least 2 lessons with an ADI on motorway driving (although I'm not sure how this would be enforced).

To pass the test, all you have to do is drive for 25 minutes in 50km/h zones, making less than 9 serious faults. I passed my test about 3 months ago, and felt like all the work I put into learning to pass the test has not prepared me for real life driving - i.e. driving on country roads, parking, motorway driving.

The first time I drove on a motorway, I felt nervous enough - I brought my dad with me. I was most nervous about merging onto the motorway (I was afraid that the motorway would be really busy, and that I wouldn't find a gap to get on and the slip-road would end). However, it went fine, and I have since driven over 400km on motorways across Ireland. Motorway driving isn't difficult, and it is a lot less difficult than other types of driving, e.g. country roads.

The only difficulty I could see with learners on the motorway is those learners who drive very slowly at the start. It's fine on 'normal' roads (we were all learners once!) but on a motorway it could be extremely dangerous. Imagine coming around a bend on the motorway to see one car doing 60km/h in the driving lane. You would have to brake fairly quickly if you couldn't get into the overtaking lane straight away, and this would create a ribbon effect (the next car has to brake that bit harder, and the next car, and this can cause traffic that is kilometres behind to move quite slowly).

Having said that, I know some learner drivers that are actually very good drivers, and are competent drivers and would be able for motorway driving without too much difficulty. In all honesty, I found the reverse around the corner part of the test more difficult than motorway driving, but that's just my opinion.

And just to add, the dual carraigeway between Dundalk North and Newry is not a motorway, but has a speed limit of 120km/h - it looks exactly like a motorway except for the green signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Okay, my bad, I meant 60mph - which I know isn't that much of a difference.

But by and large I think common sense is applied here anyway. Nobody really heeds the law, not even I did. I did what made me feel comfortable and that just happened to coincide with abiding. But most people don't.

Okay then, I'm changing my mind Captain!! (am I allowed to do that here?) lol, maybe the rule is stupid. But you would have to overhaul the learning/testing system before getting rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Sean Kinvarra

Another stupid rule by the RSA, yet they tell us motorways are the safest roads to drive on. How can young drivers get experience of motorway driving if their not allowed to use them, even accompanied by a qualified driver

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Please don't drag up old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement