Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learners on Motorways

Options
  • 24-07-2010 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,908 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

It makes no sense to prohibit learner drivers from using the motorway, yet they can burst away on them the day they pass their test, never having experienced it.

The problem, as I see it, is that a substantial amount of unqualified, untested drivers already use the main roads in breach of their permit conditions (accompanied by a qualfied driver) that I don't think they can be trusted to use motorways

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I personally thing lerner drivers should take at least 20 hours of lessons with instructor before they are allowed to drive their own car.
    This lessons should include an hour or two of driving on the motorway.
    After this L drivers should be allowed to drive on motoways while accompanied by a full licence holder.
    And also on driving test there should be a part on a motorway. (i know it might be difficult to do especially in some rural areas)

Becasue to be honest when I see what people in Ireland do on motorways, i'm frightened.
    As in Germany in many places there's no speed limits on motorway, and driving 200km/h is safe enought, then in Ireland 120km/h seems to be very dangerous considering what some of the motorway users do.

That's my opinion - first teach them how to drive there, and then allow them to do it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

I don't think that rule is much enforced anyway. Coming back from Dublin-Cork last year i had my sisters L Plates up, overtook a squad car at a decent enough speed and got absolutely no reaction whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

I don't think the speed limit could be a reason, there are plenty of roads here in Cork which have the 120km limit that aren't motorways. On these roads there are no restrictions for learner drivers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't think that rule is much enforced anyway. Coming back from Dublin-Cork last year i had my sisters L Plates up, overtook a squad car at a decent enough speed and got absolutely no reaction whatsoever.
    That was... smart.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Cian92 wrote: »
    I don't think the speed limit could be a reason, there are plenty of roads here in Cork which have the 120km limit that aren't motorways. On these roads there are no restrictions for learner drivers.

Which ones?

That was... smart.

It was only barely over the limit for overtaking. i was doing the speed limit, they weren't, i went around, back to the speed limit. But i had 2 big L Plates and had no trouble.

Which ones?

There's the road in cork from bandon roundabout down towards ballincollig isnt there? thats 120km but i don't think is a motorway.

Cian92 wrote: »
    You are joking, right????

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

There's the road in cork from bandon roundabout down towards ballincollig isnt there? thats 120km but i don't think is a motorway.

I thought the 120kph limit was exclusive to motorways.

• Advertisement

I thought the 120kph limit was exclusive to motorways.

That road is definitly a 120km/h limit, but as memory serves i think all the signs are green.

The maximum National speed limit is 100kph with the exception of motorways, which are 120kph. Inner limits apply to the National speed limit for designated zones

• Registered Users Posts: 18,908 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

As someone once pointed out to me, it can sometimes be easier learning on a road like, for example a motorway, as learners get very used to cars coming up behind them, overtaking them and going on at a faster speed without the nerves all of this produces when it happens on smaller roads.

However, that said, I remember when I was learning that I was not very comfortable going over about 50mile an hour as I just didn't feel like I could control the car. The very odd time I did take to the motorway was sheer terror, as at a minimum of 60miles I just did not feel like I could control the car at all. And my inexperience meant that with say, a wet road, cross winds or a sudden end to a lane (admit it or not, although rarely, they have on occasion ended without warning) I wasn't in control, wouldn't react quick enough and therefore was a danger to other road users.

I think the big problem is that there is no training given on motorway etiquette. I remember one day nearly having a nervous breakdown because two women (I swear, not lying) were driving along at about 60miles an hour, each occupying the same stretch of the M4, each in a different lane!! Now that kind of idiocy really stretches my limits as a patient driver.

So to sum it up then, I think the existence of the rule makes sense in some ways, take me as a learner for example. The rule kept me off the motorways after I had that experience. If there was no rule, I would probably try again, expecting that this was part of the learning experience (which it is, but in time imo)

But there are others who are fine with it. And I also include myself in that because although I was a learner for 2 years, I was well capable of driving on the motorways after about 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

It makes perfect sense to prohibit inexperienced potentially nervous and unskilled drivers from motorways where other cars are travelling at greater speed than on national or regional roads. Im sure there are a lot of learners who are quite capable of driving on motorways, but there are a lot who are also very much not, and laws are generally made with the lowest common denominator in mind.

You should be using a lerners permit to learn to drive, not commute, so its not that much of an inconvenience to use national roads for the time it takes to get your license.

On the other hand tho I do agree that its dodgy to ban learners from motorways but the minute they get their license they can drive on them having never had experience of one before. Is the solution maybe to only allow learners to use motorways while in driving school cars under the supervision of an instructor maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

A high percentage of drivers on Irish roads have no tax, no insurance, no licences - very little enforcement.

Rules are only for those/fools that abide by them in Ireland. Mostly, you can do what you like and you'll never get caught.

Chinasea wrote: »
    A high percentage of drivers on Irish roads have no tax, no insurance, no licences - very little enforcement.

Rules are only for those/fools that abide by them in Ireland. Mostly, you can do what you like and you'll never get caught.

Lets not exagerate; there are a lot of law breakers but I wouldnt say its a high percentage...

Links please?

• Advertisement

They are learner drivers; by definition they are learning and can be at any stage from complete beginner who has never sat behind the wheel of a car before to experienced learner who is ready to pass the test. You cant just assume that every learner is at the higher skill level, and you certainly cant make laws for learner drivers at that assumption.

You cannot rely on common sense alone when it comes to trying to prevent 75mph accidents. How many 17 year old learners will think they are well able to drive at that speed on a motorway only to find out when its too late that they cant?

Links please?

how could we have links? No enforcement - no catchy catchy

The dog on the street knows there are heaps of unlicensed, no tax no insurance drivers on the roads. I live in a country where there is little or no law enforcement in any shape or form. Thankfully the majority confirm to most laws but we have growing amounts of those that abide by no rules. I think we all know of someone who has been hit by one of these uninsured drivers - I know I certainly do.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

That road is definitly a 120km/h limit, but as memory serves i think all the signs are green.

Just an update on this.

Its the N25 from the Dunkettle Interchange out towards Middleton. It is a D/C but it IS 120KPH. It is still classed as a National route but has a special dispensation.

Learners CAN use this road but are limited to 100kph although there are no signs to say this. This bit of information was given to me(us) by a boardsie who is also GTC based in Middleton.

The dog on the street knows there are heaps of unlicensed, no tax no insurance drivers on the roads. I live in a country where there is little or no law enforcement in any shape or form. Thankfully the majority confirm to most laws but we have growing amounts of those that abide by no rules. I think we all know of someone who has been hit by one of these uninsured drivers - I know I certainly do.

Im not doubting that these drivers exist, but you seem to be of the opinion that every second drivers is driving with no tax, insurance or license which simply isnt true.

how could we have links? No enforcement - no catchy catchy
    So what you're saying is a high % of drivers hold no license, tax or insurance and that you have absolutely no evidence to support this statement?

I see.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement