Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge Dredd Movie

Options
1272829303133»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Beefy78 wrote: »
    But it wasn't pointless. You've explained exactly what the point was in your post.

Yes it could have been another drug but they made a drug up which enabled them to take the 3D format and use it to provide a unique visual which enhanced the experience for the viewer.

You're clearly not getting my point so this will be my last post on it.

It was pointless because it was a gimmick to shoe horn 3D into the film I find anything to do with 3D gimmicky and feel it would have been a much better film had they taken that aspect out of it.

It didn't enhance the experience for me or a lot of people instead it took away from the film and felt pointless, as I said it took some scenes which could have been suspenseful and ruined them because of silly 3D slow mo's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Whether the slo mo scenes were 3D or not is fairly academic. It's the exact same movie visually either way. The slow motion is the defining characteristic of those scenes, not the 3D. I've watched it a good few times in 2D and the 3D slots out seamlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It was pointless because it was a gimmick to shoe horn 3D into the film I find anything to do with 3D gimmicky and feel it would have been a much better film had they taken that aspect out of it.

It didn't enhance the experience for me or a lot of people instead it took away from the film and felt pointless, as I said it took some scenes which could have been suspenseful and ruined them because of silly 3D slow mo's.
    I haven't seen the film in 3D yet, the slow-mo makes sense in 2D too because that's what the drug does. It's entirely relevant and if you never knew the film was also in 3D you'd never question the inclusion of the slow-mo effect because it's entirely relevant to the films story. Which is about a designer drug, that makes everything slow down..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Haven't seen it in 3d or at the cinema, watched it on Sky, thought it was great fun, and the slo-mo bits were all spot on, apart from ma-ma's final scene which didn't really work for me. Anderson was what I imagined she should be like and Karl Urban kept his lid on throughout and nailed Dredd for me. Would definitely head out to cinema to see a sequel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Meant to be out this weekend, local cinema not showing it anyway.

I've watched it months ago at father's house on his 3D tv. I would go to see it in the cinema in 3D as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

This thread is like the titular character...just can't be killed :P Have to say i loved Dredd in the cinema and was pretty sad to here it didn't do so well but i've got me a bluray copy so hope it all helps toward an equally good sequel :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

The same argument could be said about yourself in relation to Beefy s comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I've seen Dredd in 3D and 2D and the slow-mo is much less effective/interesting in 2D. I wouldn't consider 3D being shoe-horned as it's tied to such an important part of the film (the drug slo-mo). I suppose you could cut out showing the effects of slo-mo completely but I think that'd make for a worse film.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I've seen Dredd in 3D and 2D and the slow-mo is much less effective/interesting in 2D. I wouldn't consider 3D being shoe-horned as it's tied to such an important part of the film (the drug slo-mo). I suppose you could cut out showing the effects of slo-mo completely but I think that'd make for a worse film.

I've only seen it in 2D and those scenes still worked for me.

Not to mention slo-mo could be right off the pages of 2000AD, which was really cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

This thread goes quiet every now and then so I when I see it coming alive again I say to myself "yes! sequel announced!".

Then I read the new posts and :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,345 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

and you're helping this how? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Just saw this on facecrack...

PETITION UPDATE: We have a newsletter regarding the petition about to go out. Please don't unsubscribe or mark it as spam when you receive it in your email because your names will disappear from the petition. It's NOT spam and it's 100% about the petition. We've also got a lot of requests about organizing a day to buy DREDD. We've got something coming up for next month, so stay tuned

Said email contained the following....

On 18th September, we're encouraging everyone to take part in a massive DREDD SEQUEL DAY OF ACTION - we've already made the moneymen who could get behind a sequel sit up and take notice by consistently keeping the DVD and Blu-Ray in the charts on Amazon and now on Netflix.

We're asking everyone who's signed the petition to come together next Wednesday and drive DREDD back up the charts - if everyone who's signed the petition bought an extra DVD or Blu-Ray (either for themselves or as a present for a friend) or rented/bought it on iTunes and Netflix it will send the loudest signal yet that WE WANT MORE DREDD!

So spread the word that on Wednesday 18th September, you're going to bring DREDD back into the public eye! Plus, it's the day that the new comic book sequel comes out, with lots of media attention planned for this and the campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Ya September 18th

Didn't think that one through did they. Me and about a million other guys in their target group are going to be buried waist high in dead hookers and fast cars with GTA V out the day before

Pffft, if you're good enough, you'll finish it in a couple of hours :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

I loved the movie, and really wished it got a sequel. I particularly like off kilter Anderson's PSI involvement, some of the telepathy sequences were taken straight from panel... anyway, I digress

I dont understand these drives to repurchase movies to encourage a sequel. Plenty of great movies go underrated, this being one of them. But the movie industry is not a charity. Its a harsh fact, but if something is poorly marketed it will suffer. They gambled on the 3D aspect of this movie, alienating alot of viewership, also it was fairly poorly distributed. I know there was no showing in my own local omniplex.

Anyway, I still haven't bought the blu-ray, so I will be part of the drive mentioned above, but its only accidental

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

if everyone who's signed the petition bought an extra DVD or Blu-Ray (either for themselves or as a present for a friend) or rented/bought it on iTunes and Netflix it will send the loudest signal yet that WE WANT MORE DREDD!
    I don't see this going anywhere if their expecting everyone to buy a second copy of the film. It's now beginning to sound like one of the producers is behind this movement. It's rare enough for me to buy any film, there's no way I'm buying two copies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't see this going anywhere if their expecting everyone to buy a second copy of the film. It's now beginning to sound like one of the producers is behind this movement. It's rare enough for me to buy any film, there's no way I'm buying two copies.

A shed load of people bought second copies of Firefly, as christmas gifts etc.
    Don't think that the Dredd movement is a passionate as that though.

Indeed. I'm hoping that a sequel eventually gets made, but I already bought the dvd, so won't be buying it again :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

My contribution will be streaming it on Netflix to my iPad whilst I'm playing GTA V in another room :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Personally Ill be buying another one. I have someone in mind that I can give it to as a present. I know they will appreciate it and the dvd is good value for money on Amazon.

Haven't seen it in 3d or at the cinema, watched it on Sky, thought it was great fun, and the slo-mo bits were all spot on, apart from ma-ma's final scene which didn't really work for me. Anderson was what I imagined she should be like and Karl Urban kept his lid on throughout and nailed Dredd for me. Would definitely head out to cinema to see a sequel.

I found that final scene really worked in the cinema though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Liked this for it's recap, refresher, discussion and clips.
    But also for the reminder of a possible TV show:
    Judge Dredd: Mega City One - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6873692/
    Although.. I'm not sure if that TV show is going ahead anymore

anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,958 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Saw a new post, thought there might be fresh talk of a sequel, hopes dashed again. Time to watch it again now though.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Saw a new post, thought there might be fresh talk of a sequel, hopes dashed again. Time to watch it again now though.

The Half Life 3 thread of the film forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd say the TV show is dead, or at best circling around in Production Limbo; without running off to confirm, the last I heard there was a script treatment completed but that was it. No casting, locations, directors, nothing; so not even sure if a broadcaster / distributor picked it up.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'd say the TV show is dead

502579.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^
    Drokk!

• Advertisement

Begins around 11mins 30sec
    Listen, I would love to make it, I’m on the record saying that a bunch of times. I don’t know if that’s gonna happen. I think that the guys that own the rights to Dredd, Rebellion, I think they’re developing something called ‘Mega-City One’ and it would just be great to see more Dredd, whether it’s with me or not, it doesn’t matter. I’m a fan of Dredd and there’s so many great stories there. I’d love to see them. And I have no doubt that, someday, someone will make it. It’s just a matter of time.

Advertisement