Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest for the Tunnel opening?

Options
  • 21-07-2010 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Fianna Fail have purposefully delayed the opening of the Limerick Tunnel for the cynical and shameful reason that they want to send Brian Cowen and a couple of backup Politicians to the scene of the crime to back-slap each other, drink Champagne, kiss unfortunate Babies, stress-test their perfectly applied make-up and generally pretend that the Country is shiny and sweet and in good hands because of their thieving, corrupt, self-serving, greedy presence.

Its the ugly, sneering, mocking face of Political Spin - crude, but calculated PR which is without a doubt extremely effective in shaping the Public and Electorates views on Irish Political life.

- Its due in Limerick next Tuesday, July 27th in about 8 Black Mercedes Executive Saloons, plus miscellaneous expenses, paid for by ordinary Joe Public.

Ideally we really need to see a repeat of the last time that Limerick People refused to stand by and allow Brian Cowen and Fianna Fail to stage a PR Charade on our Front Doorstep. On that occasion the cowardly attack on Respite Care funding provoked People of conscience and integrity to leave their Homes for an hour and stand up for certain Members of their Communities who were being bullied and picked on by Cowards and Liars.

I believe that when the RTE Cameras are focussed on the PR Circus for the Limerick Tunnel Opening the resultant News Bulletins should show that nothing could be heard bar Air Horns, insults, cold facts, the truth of our sorry situation, accusations of corruption and demands for justice and decency in Public Office.

There is not one Person reading this who does not stand to be affected by the abject misery that Fianna Fail is going to bring into each of our lives in the coming months and years. Indeed it looks like your Children's, Children will be born in Hospital Corridors and schooled in the shoddy, Rat-gnawed Prefabs of today as NAMA leaves a lingering financial fallout that extends beyond throwaway talk of billions spent here and there like it was mere pocket change and makes its realities felt in the quality of our lives - or, more precisely, the plain lack of quality of life for so many People and their Dependants - both young and old.

Cuts in essential funding for essential services that are absolutely crucial to Peoples lives, such as the previously mentioned basic funding for Respite Care are not a solitary, or a final target - They're just examples of Fianna Fail (Need I bother to include or even mention the Greens???) picking on individuals and services where they think that nobody will have a strong enough voice to be heard or have the strength to fight back.....

Let me conclude for now by saying that recent history shows the casual Observer in stark and incontrovertible terms what happens when the likes of Fianna Fail are allowed to proceed unquestioned, unchallenged and otherwise unhindered.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

i cant....ive too work Tuesday to pay for the tunnel and mercs and the likes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Loving the thread title....so what's the plan ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

No doubt they will orchestrate the opening to avoid any unwanted PR from ordinary people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Brian Cowen has made an announcement “We regret that due to Government cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel is to be switched off”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Anything practical and visually or aurally effective once it remains within the bounds of "right to protest" - ie no overstepping any mark.

- Peaceful protest, no trouble wanted and hope to make their trip down a waste of time while also providing a negative PR effect on balance instead of simply allowing them to pose and posture uncontested while delivering carefully prepared lies, spin and untruths to the Public at large.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

Raiser wrote: »
    Fianna Fail have purposefully delayed the opening of the Limerick Tunnel for the cynical and shameful reason that they want to send Brian Cowen and a couple of backup Politicians to the scene of the crime to back-slap each other, drink Champagne, kiss unfortunate Babies, stress-test their perfectly applied make-up and generally pretend that the Country is shiny and sweet and in good hands because of their thieving, corrupt, self-serving, greedy presence.

Its the ugly, sneering, mocking face of Political Spin - crude, but calculated PR which is without a doubt extremely effective in shaping the Public and Electorates views on Irish Political life.

- Its due in Limerick next Tuesday, July 27th in about 8 Black Mercedes Executive Saloons, plus miscellaneous expenses, paid for by ordinary Joe Public.

Ideally we really need to see a repeat of the last time that Limerick People refused to stand by and allow Brian Cowen and Fianna Fail to stage a PR Charade on our Front Doorstep. On that occasion the cowardly attack on Respite Care funding provoked People of conscience and integrity to leave their Homes for an hour and stand up for certain Members of their Communities who were being bullied and picked on by Cowards and Liars.

I believe that when the RTE Cameras are focussed on the PR Circus for the Limerick Tunnel Opening the resultant News Bulletins should show that nothing could be heard bar Air Horns, insults, cold facts, the truth of our sorry situation, accusations of corruption and demands for justice and decency in Public Office.

There is not one Person reading this who does not stand to be affected by the abject misery that Fianna Fail is going to bring into each of our lives in the coming months and years. Indeed it looks like your Children's, Children will be born in Hospital Corridors and schooled in the shoddy, Rat-gnawed Prefabs of today as NAMA leaves a lingering financial fallout that extends beyond throwaway talk of billions spent here and there like it was mere pocket change and makes its realities felt in the quality of our lives - or, more precisely, the plain lack of quality of life for so many People and their Dependants - both young and old.

Cuts in essential funding for essential services that are absolutely crucial to Peoples lives, such as the previously mentioned basic funding for Respite Care are not a solitary, or a final target - They're just examples of Fianna Fail (Need I bother to include or even mention the Greens???) picking on individuals and services where they think that nobody will have a strong enough voice to be heard or have the strength to fight back.....

Let me conclude for now by saying that recent history shows the casual Observer in stark and incontrovertible terms what happens when the likes of Fianna Fail are allowed to proceed unquestioned, unchallenged and otherwise unhindered.

Wow,i never thought i'd find myself agreeing with you of all people:eek:.
    However the people of this country (and Limerick in particular) don't have the interest for it.

I've seen them in action when in the company of 1 particular elected official almost daily recently.
    Some deserve everything they get.
    Stomach churning behaviour indeed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You should get somebody to graffiti anti-government slogans on the tunnel. In green paint. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

or or report biffo for welfare fraud!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

You should get somebody to graffiti anti-government slogans on the tunnel. In green paint. :pac:

Theres one man that springs to mind ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Can we bring vevezulus:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

Is that a mod i see inciting criminal damage??
    Just graffiti it (Cowen is a f** B******) and call it art.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Will Cowen even fit in the tunnel?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

Will it cost €1.80 to protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭WuuZii

Fianna Fail have purposefully delayed the opening of the Limerick Tunnel

The Limerick Tunnel was not due to be finished until September. So I can hardly see how this is a delay! It also came in under budget afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

WuuZii wrote: »
    The Limerick Tunnel was not due to be finished until September. So I can hardly see how this is a delay! It also came in under budget afaik.

It was ready to open last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

WuuZii wrote: »

I'd say wuuzii is willie in disguise, O' Dea would you ever get back to work ffs! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

Good idea Raiser. I'd join you, but I'll be in work sadly.
    Hope you can get enough for a decent protest, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

i cant stand the current govt but protesting at the opening of a major piece of infrastructure in the city is going to look pathetic

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Polititians of all parties tend to open new public amenities whilst in power. It's what they do.

p.s. Biffo and FF are the worst ham fisted, stupid, corrupt idiots imaginable.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

I am not going to protest. I will thrive in seeing Cowen in a suitably fitting hole in the ground :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Nockz wrote: »
    I am not going to protest. I will thrive in seeing Cowen in a suitably fitting hole in the ground :p

The only problem is the hole has at least 2 exits....

betonit wrote: »
    i cant stand the current govt but protesting at the opening of a major piece of infrastructure in the city is going to look pathetic

Its a protest against the Government - Nothing to do with the occasion itself except that its one of the rare occasions they will be within reach.......

- While I understand your reasoning the only Event that they will ever attend is going to be ones they perceive as being popular, good news type stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

Its a protest against the Government - Nothing to do with the occasion itself except that its one of the rare occasions they will be within reach.......

- While I understand your reasoning the only Event that they will ever attend is going to be ones they perceive as being popular, good news type stories.

i see where you're coming from and its probaly justfied but still wouldnt agree with the protest, not because who the protest is against but the occasion.

i see where you're coming from and its probaly justfied but still wouldnt agree with the protest, not because who the protest is against but the occasion.

The occasion will always be rosy though, thats my point.

- Its not a valid reason to stay away just cause its a happy news day in other respects, the irony is that its the only reason they are there!!!!

For example if Cowen and his Gang of Crooks were to attend the opening of a new Hospital Ward in Cork next Month should they not still be confronted and asked why they are failing so miserably in reforming the HSE and providing adequate Public Healthcare to the Country at large???

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

As Raiser says, it's the only opportunity we'll get to voice our dissatisfaction with this shower of criminals that are ruining running our country.
    They're never here for the bad stuff. Where were they when Dell was closing? Why are they never around Shannon Airport to see it die? Fact is, they will only turn up when there's something to be gained from it. The opportunity needs to be taken to show them what the people of the country and this city think of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Is this something else that Raiser is asking people to do, but won't do it himself? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Is this something else that Raiser is asking people to do, but won't do it himself? :rolleyes:

Raiser, you have an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone here.

Next Wednesday Pic of you at the protest or GTFO......:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

I've learned of an engineer working on the project, that the hold up is to do with testing the tunnel to EU safety standards and not with waiting for Biffo to be available, also until all the tests have been signed off the tunnel won't open, so it may not even be Tuesday yet.

Besides biffo won't be down to open the tunnel until the official opening in a couple of months time. This will be an unofficial opening, the aim of the game is to get everything running right before the official opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Twin-go wrote: »
    Raiser, you have an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone here.

Next Wednesday Pic of you at the protest or GTFO......:p

It's Raiser!
    raiser.jpg

I'd most certainly be up for protesting. The government must be held accountable for their actions and myself,like many others have been f*cked over by their sh*t politics.

• Advertisement

I'm seem to have gone quite ethnically diverse, androgynous and militant Mz Pandamonium - but am glad to see I'm principled!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement