Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshers week (age 25?)

Options
  • 21-07-2010 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm a 25 year young mature student , I'm wondering do people like me who are still kinda young attend freshers week/nights out?
    I'm starting in September and I don't know anyone.... :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Well theres a guy in my course whos 24 and he went out with us on the majority of Freshers nights.....don't see any reason why you shouldn't go out either..

Its a great way to get to know the people in your course. If you go out on 1 freshers night most of the class will know you instead of talking to one or two people in between lectures...

Go for it......your only young once! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I was 21 startin last year and didn't go, you should.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Im going to trinity in sept as part time student. But I was a mature student in my prev course. I would have been around 23 or 24 starting it. I went to freshers week. Your going to spending the next most likly 4 years with these people. So you should defo go and get to know them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Ah sure everyone likes waking up in the morning feeling a little fresher ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

mathew wrote: »
    Ah sure everyone likes waking up in the morning feeling a little fresher ;)

Thank you! That made me laugh on an otherwise shite day in college!:D

• Advertisement

NiamhTCD wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm a 25 year young mature student , I'm wondering do people like me who are still kinda young attend freshers week/nights out?
    I'm starting in September and I don't know anyone.... :o

You'll be grand, best thing to do is head out with people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭NiamhTCD

Thanks for the replies
    I might as well go out and have some fun!

Oh, anyone know where on campus serves the best coffee?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Oh, anyone know where on campus serves the best coffee?

Java city beside the buttery. Cheaper too.

Denerick wrote: »

It is good coffee alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Yeah just go for it, you'll be spending the next 4 years with these people so ya wanna get to know em! And freshers week is the best time because no one knows anyone else yet, you'll be the same as everyone else - instead of having to break into the mini-clicks that will already have formed by the time lectures start.

Truly, you being 25 won't make any difference! A 30yr old guy who was in my class did freshers week, did going out, copied question sheets with us, everything! He was one of the sounder blokes on the course, and after just a couple of days (when people stop asking "oh which school were ya in?") the age thing will disappear.

and science gallery is the best coffee on campus, no doubt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

i started last year and was 24...i sussed out who was going to stuff and not many people from my course were, turned out myself my "lunch crew" don't go on many class nights out as alot of the class are quite irritating and no, we are not all matures...

it is definitely worth finding out if some of the class are going to something and if anyone wants to start a sport with you, three of us joined badminton - never went...our course is very heavy though and we blame it on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

dunne & crescenzi do a good espresso for €1.50

gearoidof wrote: »

€1.50, big spender!:pac:
    Spar on Nassau St., €1 when you show them a loyalty card... Yeh I know it's sad but I'm beyond broke at this stage!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

To answer your question: Of course you can!

Thinking your age is some sort of barrier is the one thing you as a mature student have to get over. I started TCD last year. I'm 27, nearing 28. It's hard to go out on Freshers week as a mature student as you probably won't know any one else in 1st year whereas school leavers usually know a few people.

If you plan on joining a club or society, do that. They usually have nights out during freshers week. Also, depending on your course, you might register early on in the week and meet people from your class. Mine wasn't until the Friday. :(

Also, there is a Mature Student Orientation week the week before Freshers. I definitely recommend that. I met a like minded maturie (ie Single, up for a laugh and nights out) and we did Freshers week together. Freshers week can be a bit daunting any age really.

There is a mature student society and while I don't want to knock it (as they have free wine and lunch events) its more geared to mature mature students. They laughed at my idea of rollerdisco. :o But I would still join it in first year and you may hit it off with someone there.

I'll be around campus for Freshers week on one of the stands so PM me before it if you're feeling a bit lost.

Just jump right in!!!!!!! But go easy on the drink the night before registration. You have that same photo for 3 years. :o

Larianne wrote: »
    To answer your question: Of course you can!

Thinking your age is some sort of barrier is the one thing you as a mature student have to get over. I started TCD last year. I'm 27, nearing 28. It's hard to go out on Freshers week as a mature student as you probably won't know any one else in 1st year whereas school leavers usually know a few people.

If you plan on joining a club or society, do that. They usually have nights out during freshers week. Also, depending on your course, you might register early on in the week and meet people from your class. Mine wasn't until the Friday. :(

Also, there is a Mature Student Orientation week the week before Freshers. I definitely recommend that. I met a like minded maturie (ie Single, up for a laugh and nights out) and we did Freshers week together. Freshers week can be a bit daunting any age really.

There is a mature student society and while I don't want to knock it (as they have free wine and lunch events) its more geared to mature mature students. They laughed at my idea of rollerdisco. :o But I would still join it in first year and you may hit it off with someone there.

I'll be around campus for Freshers week on one of the stands so PM me before it if you're feeling a bit lost.

Just jump right in!!!!!!! But go easy on the drink the night before registration. You have that same photo for 3 years. :o

Maybe it's the sleep deprivation talking, but that is a fucking genius idea! A roller disco, is genius! They laughed at it, probably because half of them have hip and knee replacements.
    All that I can think of is Hal from Malcolm in the Middle, this is the only clip from youtube I could find:

El Siglo wrote: »
    Maybe it's the sleep deprivation talking, but that is a fucking genius idea! A roller disco, is genius! They laughed at it, probably because half of them have hip and knee replacements.
    All that I can think of is Hal from Malcolm in the Middle, this is the only clip from youtube I could find:

It IS a FUKIN Genius idea!! Thank You. But no-one wants to take it on! :o Yeah I thought the auld hip replacement thing too!

Okay so can I suggest this as the next TCD BEERS outing?!?!? COME ON PEOPLE!!!!! I can twirl on rollerskates. Let me show off my skills. :)

Btw, my class call me the immature mature student. :pac:

Larianne wrote: »
    It IS a FUKIN Genius idea!! Thank You. But no-one wants to take it on! :o Yeah I thought the auld hip replacement thing too!

Okay so can I suggest this as the next TCD BEERS outing?!?!? COME ON PEOPLE!!!!! I can twirl on rollerskates. Let me show off my skills. :)

Btw, my class call me the immature mature student. :pac:

Wow, how original, they must have stayed up all night thinking of that one!;)

Yeh, fuck it roller disco is the shizzle! I'd sooner come back to College for that than the stupid ball. It gets my vote!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

I cannot rollerblade, nor dance, nor am I a mature student, but I want to go to a roller disco now!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

Denerick wrote: »

Ew, no. Java city's not that good at all. Science Gallery was very good until the new owners took over recently. Your best bet for a good coffee is just off campus, Il Cafe di Napoli on Westland Row.

Or, if you prefer a really strong coffee then Cafe Sol has a "Super Strength Latte" that does the trick (careful though: 6 shots of espresso in a grande!)

Jammyc wrote: »
    I cannot rollerblade, nor dance, nor am I a mature student, but I want to go to a roller disco now!

Neither can I but it doesn't matter so long as they play funky town!

• Advertisement

gearoidof wrote: »

Where is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Aisling&M

Rollerdisco sounds like a LOT of fun -I'd love that. Most mature students rollerskated or bladed in their childhood. It's like riding a bike - right?

CJC86 wrote: »
    Ew, no. Java city's not that good at all. Science Gallery was very good until the new owners took over recently. Your best bet for a good coffee is just off campus, Il Cafe di Napoli on Westland Row.

Napoli is gone from science gallery?! No way.. I wonder why?

Who are the new people?

Ok thanks for the replies everyone....
    I don't think I am going to get too involved with the mature student society ,I seen some pictures on the net of their meetings and 'events' and they look really depressing.

Ok thanks for the replies everyone....
    I don't think I am going to get too involved with the mature student society ,I seen some pictures on the net of their meetings and 'events' and they look really depressing.

I did think about setting up a society for people in limbo like ourselves 23-30 yrs old but it was pointed out it probably look as being ageist. :cool:

Yeah, I may try get on the committee next year. I'm a bit busy with another club this year.

I really want to rollerdisco! Sometime before I have to get the hip replaced would be good. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

just-joe wrote: »
    Where is this?

South Frederick Street, just off Nassau Street (Knobs and Knockers is on the corner of it)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭cantankerous

Type "mature" into google images and take off safe search.

'Tis a sad state society is in :(.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Type "mature" into google images and take off safe search.

'Tis a sad state society is in :(.

I admire your trolling abilities.

I got a bank giro in the post today in relation to the Fee amount required for my course . I will be entitled to free fees I'm sure.... Does TCD usually send out this giro before you apply for the Free Fee scheme ?

• Advertisement

I got a bank giro in the post today in relation to the Fee amount required for my course . I will be entitled to free fees I'm sure.... Does TCD usually send out this giro before you apply for the Free Fee scheme ?

Yeh I think that's your registration fee, but if you're on a grant you don't have to pay that. It's standard procedure as far as I can remember.

Advertisement