Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole while searching for job in a foreign country

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I was in contact with an employment officer in the Sw office in Dublin. I was enquireing about moving to the UK to look for work. He said that I can recieve dole for three months but once I have found work I give it up which is fair enough.

I asked him is there a fund that helps people get set up over there(or here) while they wait a month for their first salary payment. He said no. So straigfht away there is a barrier to people finding work both here and abroad. I explained to him that this is stopping people getting work as they have nothing to live on for the first month but he said it was the way it was and deal with it.

So you are better of either staying on the dole here or if you move to another country moving there with no work and hope something comes up.

The fact I may have an offer in place shortly in London thus taking me of the live register here means nothing to them. It makes more financial sense to me to stay here on the dole for fook knows how long than moving to London with no money and nothing to live of for the first month.

The Irish Government, A great bunch of lads!!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭simonsez

frag420 wrote: »
    I was in contact with an employment officer in the Sw office in Dublin. I was enquireing about moving to the UK to look for work. He said that I can recieve dole for three months but once I have found work I give it up which is fair enough.

I asked him is there a fund that helps people get set up over there(or here) while they wait a month for their first salary payment. He said no. So straigfht away there is a barrier to people finding work both here and abroad. I explained to him that this is stopping people getting work as they have nothing to live on for the first month but he said it was the way it was and deal with it.

So you are better of either staying on the dole here or if you move to another country moving there with no work and hope something comes up.

The fact I may have an offer in place shortly in London thus taking me of the live register here means nothing to them. It makes more financial sense to me to stay here on the dole for fook knows how long than moving to London with no money and nothing to live of for the first month.

The Irish Government, A great bunch of lads!!

it seems to be the same across the Eu

I emailed the minister about it and get a reply acknowledging my email and they will revert back to me shortly.

It is very short sighted of them to noty have something in place to help someone get a career kickstarted after traingin or being on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

frag420 wrote: »
    I emailed the minister about it and get a reply acknowledging my email and they will revert back to me shortly.

It is very short sighted of them to noty have something in place to help someone get a career kickstarted after traingin or being on the dole.

And how would they ensure that people weren't just going on holiday with the money? The system, flawed as it is, is the best at the moment. Given the levels of dole available here compared to other countries there should be some opportunity to save an element of it to fund the first few weeks abroad.

good point but what about the people who are not going abroad but staying here that get offered a job but as they are not paid for the first 4-6 weeks may have to turn it down as thay cannot afford to live on nothing for that time. Lets not forget the espense of working such as the commute, cleans clothes etc.

Unfortunatelt I will more than likely have to move to London to work ask there is nothing happening in my industry here and also the career prospects are better there. However I may just have to turn down the opportunity and stay on welfare here as I can afford to move. Its a catch 22!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 vincentdublin

why 4-6 weeks? Vincent

• Registered Users Posts: 17 vincentdublin

Hi Guys,

what happen if Spanish autohorities will not notify Irish welfare?

how can I sort out this problem ?

thank you

Vincent

Advertisement