Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole while searching for job in a foreign country

Options
  • 19-07-2010 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

I have heard lately that it is possible to receive benefits for up to 3 months while residing in a foreign country is this correct ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Jobseeker's Benefit (JB) may be transferred to another EEA member state for up to 13 weeks, if you are looking for work there. You must be getting Jobseeker's Benefit for 4 weeks before you can transfer it to another EEA member state. From 1 May 2010 new EU Regulations came into effect (pdf) which mean that if you apply to transfer your Jobseeker's Benefit, it will be paid directly to you. You will still be required to register with the employment services of the country where you have gone to look for work within a week. You must take form Form U2 (which is replacing Form E303) to the social services of the country you are travelling to. You can get a completed Form U2 from your local social welfare office.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:aanUzvF4SicJ:www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/irish-social-welfare-system/claiming-a-social-welfare-payment/going-abroad-and-social-welfare-payments+transferring+jobseekers+benefit+overseas&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

Is there any other scheme in place to receive JSB outside the EEA or is just specifically related to the EEA?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

tipp86 wrote: »
    I have heard lately that it is possible to receive benefits for up to 3 months while residing in a foreign country is this correct ?

Interesting, yourself and the gooch happy out in Spain on poor ole gregsy money (ie: taxpayer) :o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

itsjaybud wrote: »
    Interesting, yourself and the gooch happy out in Spain on poor ole gregsy money (ie: taxpayer) :o

Infracted.

As Already pointed out you can only transfer benefit not allowance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

This is the very question I came here to ask. I'm off to England in two weeks time to look for a job, have a few interviews lined up etc but its only possible to go knowing that I'll have my 186euros every week as its impossible to save any money to head over there.

At the moment I collect my dole every Wednesday from my local post office, Im unsure as to whether its job seekers allowance or benefit and would this matter? Thanks lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭nojunkmaill

You will only get it if you are in receipt of Job Seekers Benefit.

Also, don't expect it to be paid immediately from when you leave the country. You need to register at the local office where you will be residing.

It can often take a number of weeks for payment to resume.

If you don't have money to survive on, for I'd say at least 6 weeks, I wouldn't up and leave.

Thanks for that. So would getting my dole transferred into my bank account be a better idea then?

It's very rare for anyone to have their dole paid into a bank account now.

If you are going abroad to look for work let them know and they will do their best to accomodate you but there is a wait if you are on Job Seekers Benefit and wishing to transfer it to another country.

Right I was in at my dole office today. Im leaving for England in 2 weeks in search of work, going to stay at the sisters place over there while I look. My stamps are all used up so Im on Jobseekers Allowance.

I asked them.

Can I get dole transferred into my bank account.
    No.

Can I get dole for a number of weeks while abroad looking for work.
    No.

What can I do to get dole, anything??
    Nothing.

So thanks a fúcking bunch, way to help someone out who's looking for a job, I guess I'll have to stick around a bit longer and scrounge off the government some more. Stupid fúcking system if ever there was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

FearDark wrote: »
    Right I was in at my dole office today. Im leaving for England in 2 weeks in search of work, going to stay at the sisters place over there while I look. My stamps are all used up so Im on Jobseekers Allowance.

I asked them.

No.

No.

Nothing.

So thanks a fúcking bunch, way to help someone out who's looking for a job, I guess I'll have to stick around a bit longer and scrounge off the government some more. Stupid fúcking system if ever there was one.
    You can claim up to 2 weeks holidays on JA. So apply for the 2 weeks holidays giving your sisters address as your destination. You have to apply for it. If after the 2 weeks you have a job then OK and sign off. If not you can come back home and 2 weeks dole will be waiting for you and will not have to go through the whole fresh claim thing again.

PS when I say you have to 'apply for it' all that is involved is literally just going in and asking to fill out a holiday form and its all done there and then on the day.

• Advertisement

FearDark wrote: »

I asked them.

No.

No.

Nothing.

Its a means tested payment - you have to be resident in the state to receive the same. While on Jobseeker's Benefit you can transfer that to another EU country as its based on PRSI contributions.
    It is not paid into your bank account for control measures, such as ensuring you are in the country and not flying in and out to sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Can someone help me?

I moved to the UK nearly eight weeks ago, and brought the form E303 with me, and headed straight for the local Jobseekers, who in all honesty made a balls of the thing, and now I still haven't seen a penny/cent. Last week after endless phonecalls and visits to various centres I got through to a nice lady in Imported Benefit who said it's now the local office who deals with this..as one posters above correctly stated. So this morning in a panic, I contacted my local dole office in Galway, only for the woman on the other end to claim ignorance to this whole transfer of dole process, then looked up my details and said my claim had been closed?! I told her why on earth would someone close my account when the whole moving to the UK thing had been discussed back in May and the forms done.. she then said she could'nt hear me and would i ring back,,been ringing back on two phones for the past hour with no joy!

Basically so I'm guessing i have the wrong form? It ought to be a Form U2?

In a right sticky wicket as been living off the credit card with zero income :(

It's the Form E303.

It can take a number of weeks. There is a back log but your claim shouldn't have been closed, it should have been suspended.

Have you checked with the local office in the UK where you registered that they have submitted everything.

Buncranna, Donegal deal with EU Records and E303's etc. Maybe contact them. They'd know if Galway submitted the case.

It's the Form E303.

It can take a number of weeks. There is a back log but your claim shouldn't have been closed, it should have been suspended.

Have you checked with the local office in the UK where you registered that they have submitted everything.

Buncranna, Donegal deal with EU Records and E303's etc. Maybe contact them. They'd know if Galway submitted the case.

According to galway, my case was closed shut. Which sounds insane. Apparently since May 1st they ought to have been using form U2 instead of E303. Is there anywhere I can ring to get help? I spent about four hours today 'on hold', ringing Galway, Buncrana, Tuam, Loughrea (the latter two having nothing to do with me but were very helpful in getting me numbers). There are no answering machines.

Is there a specific number for Buncrana as I can only find the local office one. Again, I was told they don't deal with it, it has to be galway. Worth a shot tho
    I'm basically stuck, having expecting to get 8-10 weeks worth of dole this week, signing on every week over here and going to crappy 'jobsclubs" and then told my case was closed and has been closed since end of May??

Use the contact details at end of Customer Charter

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Policy/CorporatePublications/HowWeWork/Documents/cust_charter.pdf

If you can't call the LoCall number from UK, suggest you email a friend with relevant details and ask him/her to call it and also take your email into the Galway office where you have your claim. Try to give any details that may identify what staff member gave you the form and to whom you spoke about the transfer both in May and within past few days.

The closing of your claim on foot of your attempting to avail of your right to transfer for the allowed period is a very serious error which SW in Galway should rectify immediately.

Thanks a million. The form is signed alright by the girl who went through the process with me and dated 31/05/2010, and I see the new forms kicked in an May 1st; unfortunately all my family are away travelling right now so I can't get anyone to go in ALTHO I shouldn't whinge as I am lucky to be home for a few days on Thursday for a family event; unfortunately it means spending the time I want to spend with family and friends will be spent in the dole office.

Thanks everyone, I'm really upset by all of this.

Apparently the form E303 IS still in use. No joy today :(

Its now called a U2 form. The process changed recently (my dad is currently trying to transfer his benefit to another EU country). He had to inform his local office he was moving, and they took his Irish bank account number, and his address in the new EU country. Buncrana then issued form U2 to him at his foreign address (this is the new E303 form). He was given a week to register in the other country. While this was happening his claim was payment suspended in Ireland.
    When he registers in the new country, they send some form back to Buncrana, who then inform his local office here, and they should lift the payment suspension and he will be paid into his Irish bank account for up to 78 days.

That in theory is how it SHOULD happen. He is still waiting on the U2. But the post is notoriously slow in the country he is in.

Just thought I'd update in case it helps someone out?

Synopsis: Moved to UK ten weeks ago and wanted to transferred dole; did everything, dole didn't transfer..

Ended up flying home (I know, but there was lot of money I was owed) and walked into the dole office with my letter. Was sorted within ten minutes and my ten weeks dole transferred into my account (which subsequently paid off my credit card :( )

The form e303 still works, it still is in use.

It's been the most horrible few weeks trying to get the dole, but now it's done.

That's good news! Remember you can claim for up to 78 days abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Publius Scipio

Just thought I'd add my experiences in transferring the dole to Poland for those of you who who are interested. Firstly, I had to apply at my local Social Welfare office for Form U2. This is the only form that is acceptable, so those of you who received form Ewhatever, you're in trouble. I applied one week before I left for Poland and was told that I should have applied at least one month in advance, despite being advised by the very same person one month before that one week was plenty of notice. The form was sent to my address in Poland as it wouldn't have arrived at my Irish address before we left. I took the ferry on the Sunday to Cherbourg as I was moving a lot of stuff. I arrived in Poland on the Wednesday and went immediately to register as you have only one week from your departure date to do so. I waited in the Registry office for 3 hours and finally got to talk to a lady who was very unpleasant and unhelpful. Filled out a load of forms, only to be told that I also had to register with the town council as a resident at my address before I could register with them. I went to the council offices and was told that I had to bring proof of my address and ID in order to register. I had no proof of address so I had to contact the person who owned the building I lived in in order to get a letter confirming that I lived there. In Poland, if you own a flat, (which we do) you only own the inside space of the flat and not the actual flat itself. In other words, you are not buying the flat, you are buying the privilege of living in the flat. Therefore, my proof of ownership of the flat was insufficient proof that I lived there. I got the letter and went back to the council office, only to be sent away again to get proof that the person who wrote the letter actually owned the building. Got that and was finally allowed to register as a resident in my own home. Anyway, it was now about four o' clock on Wednesday evening and too late to go back to the Registry office to register. I went back the next morning and after another 3 hour wait, I was first accused of Dole Farming, then made to wait while the Polish office called the Irish office and then finally allowed to register. BUT, then I had to take the paperwork they gave me to another office about 40 minutes away from the Registry office and apply there to have my payments transferred. They accepted the forms and told me to bring my U2 form to them when it arrived. They also gave me another piece of paper to take to another office in the same building. And then I was done. Or so I thought. Went back the next week and was told that I would have to register at the Tax Office. This was done at another office across the other side of the city. So my point is, if you are transferring your money, be aware that it is not as simple as it is in Ireland. You have to jump through some serious hoops and to be honest, deal with some real ****ing assholes. So if anyone tells you that the Polish get a hard time in Ireland, punch them in the mouth for me. I took a Polish friend to register in Ireland and it took about 2 hours altogether. It took me nearly three full days here. Oh and by the way, I have been here almost a month and have received no money yet, so be aware that you will not be paid immediately so don't rely on it for the first month or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ben.t

Just a word of caution,

The process might take longer than expected. So be prepared to have resources for at least 12 weeks (which is average length of time to find employment, from personal experience and of other's) before you leave.

The process is the following :

1. Request Form U2 and/or E303/301 in advance of departure.
    2. Present them on registration to local Social Welfare upon arrival in other EU country.
    3. The Social Welfare of that country will send form U009 (Coordination of social security) back to Ireland - if you're lucky.
    4. The fund will be released backdated for the period of your departure and commence of employment - if you're lucky to get one- for maximum of 13 weeks.

If you are of non-indigeneous origin (ie. originally from accession countries or of foreign descent / mixed heritage), make the time & documentations required double. And be extra patient as they might or might not subject you to additional checks, and hence, delays.

I moved to the UK on September 30, and after endless re-faxing documents to Newcastle office of social security coordination, to this day, I have yet to receive a single penny. Only emails saying that I have yet to satisfy the requirements for petty reason, like I should re-register when I move to another friend's couch, regardless that I have a primary address in UK and eventhough everything for the payment were pre-approved before I left.

After hundreds of CVs and several futile interviews, I miraculously secured an employment just a week before Christmas. But until my first pay check next month, I will still have to ration meals to survive.

Thank God for Emergency Shelters and Soup Kitchens. After years of paying tax and working in multinationals while doing my ACCA in Dublin, the experience of being in queue with less fortunate people who actually living rough for a long period of time have humbled me and bloats my empathy for the suffering of others. I just wished the individuals in the welfare office who were responsible for this feels the same. However, they obviously dont. Bless them!

Good luck, wish you a happy Christmas & a better New Year.

Le meas

ben

• Registered Users Posts: 32 smithweiser

Yeah i've been doing the same here in france.

waiting on the french to send the U009 form to ireland for the last month.

they wont give me a direct number or any details of who sends it.

i keep going into the french dole office asking them to find out if its been sent but they keep brushing me off saying its sent to their head office etc and its up to them

i ring the irish office in donegal but they say they havent recieved anything from france,

I'm getting really worried now as i cant get a job and its been over 2 months since i first applied,

So if anyone else is doing this option be prepared to not get any cash for at least 3 months if at all.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 32 smithweiser

so yeah update its now 2 months later , almost 6 months since i first started the process, i have reached a wall as the french system will not tell me if they are gonna ever send the form to ireland. i have faxed and rang every number available and still irelands eu records in donegal has never recieved anything from france. living in france now for the last 6 months i have been unable to get employment so i have to go home now as i have no funds,

dissapointed but not surprised by the EU bureaucractic system

• Registered Users Posts: 17 vincentdublin

HI

Do you know who is providing the form U009 (Coordination of social security) ?

thank you
    Vincent

Hi all,

I have just registered in the spanish office one week ago, but they said me I should wait untill spain will keep in touch with Ireland.
    what do you suggest me to do ? to speed up the process?

if spain will keep in touch wih Ireland, Will I get the payement backdated?

thanks

Vincent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Hi all,

I have just registered in the spanish office one week ago, but they said me I should wait untill spain will keep in touch with Ireland.
    what do you suggest me to do ? to speed up the process?

if spain will keep in touch wih Ireland, Will I get the payement backdated?

thanks

Vincent

there is nothing you can do to speed up the process it is now up to the spanish sw to send form U009 to Ireland and then form U13 every month after that until your 78 days have run out. Irish sw cannot do anything until this form is received here. As soon as Irish sw receive the form you will be put back into payment.

If Spanish SW will never send those documents to Ireland, Will I loose all the payements? thanks Vincent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

If Spanish SW will never send those documents to Ireland, Will I loose all the payements? thanks Vincent

Until the initial form is returned to Ireland by Spanish sw no payment will be released to you. Spanish sw then send a form every month if this is not received your claim will be payment suspended until it is received.

• Advertisement

thanks

Advertisement