Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What were those old books with choices called?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Choose your own adventure

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

IIRC it's "The Horror of High Ridge".
    Thats it thanks, I got such rush of nostalgia when I saw that pic of the 3 kids getting stabbed, apparently that was an abrupt "Ghostly knives appear and bury themselves in your backs" ending :D

Seems that was a bit of a famous one, it got banned in schools etc for being too violent with graphic images.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

This was the best (also my first)

latest?cb=20080107074101

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Thargor wrote: »
    Thats it thanks, I got such rush of nostalgia when I saw that pic of the 3 kids getting stabbed, apparently that was an abrupt "Ghostly knives appear and bury themselves in your backs" ending :D

Just spotted this thread and dug up my own copy. On my first go around I ended up on the "ghostly knives" death. Unsure if I'd leave my child read them at the same age that I did!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

This was the best (also my first)

latest?cb=20080107074101

I had that too. I think that you had to role dice and determine a Stamina and Luck score so it was a very basic RPG-type read.

• Advertisement

LOL Did ye keep your fingers stuck in the the page where you made your choice so you could go back if you were killed ??

I did !
    There was a clip in the Simpsons of Homer doing this. I can't find it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Tin man games made a few FF books into highly rated polished apps recently if anyone misses that fix :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebook is a very good history. They don't seem to have existed much outside the Anglosphere, except for France and (for some reason) Bulgaria.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Trotters

One problemm with those books was, if you made notes in pencil as you went along, of the dice roll etc, then it made the book less usueable afterwards because of the little scribbles in the margin.
    I remember making those spinny dice things home-made, a cardboard hexagon on a match stick, to use if we didnt have the proper dice to roll.
    We even coloured in the pictures.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Wow, just saw the thread at the top of the new posts and instant nostalgic moment. I recall the above picture too, but my most memorable book was a mad max type of adventure with gunned out armoured cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

bullets wrote: »
    The actual "Choose your own adventure" Brand was crap
    compared to the other books at the time.

My brother used to love them (our Mam probably got loads of them for him through the Weetabix offer) but I thought they were a bit meh (before that was a thing :D ) so I wrote one myself for him, complete with illustrations!

None of the originals have survived in the family, but my one was found by SonNo.1 in my brother's old bedroom and he got great mileage out of it! Still has it upstairs, to be passed on to someone else. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I remember 2000AD did this one with Slaine, I was hooked. It was originally a storyline spread over several issues but it was collected in a special edition circa late 80's which I had and spent hours playing .

894319.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I was going through old books of mine today and found one of the Choose your own adventure books.
    From early 80s.

It's funny what you keep from your childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 marielille

I think some of the themes were a bit dark as I remember?

Advertisement