Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What were those old books with choices called?

Options
  • 19-07-2010 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭

The ones where you didn't read them straight through. You had to choose different options all through the book and turn to a certain page number. If you made the wrong choice you would be killed, if you got it right you would get to the end of the story.
    They were set in loads of timezones like the wild west and medieval England etc. I used to love them, did anyone else read them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SpodoKamodo

Think they were called fighting fantasy books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Choose Your Own Adventure was one of the brands they were released under.

http://superduper.shapesofsweetness.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/cyoa022.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Choose Your Own Adventure was one of the brands they were released under.

http://superduper.shapesofsweetness.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/cyoa022.jpg
    Ah yes thats the ticket Bob.
    They were fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Oh wow, I used to love those!

I think for some of them, you had to use a dice while playing, and that determined your "luck" points. And there were points for health and stamina etc as well.

And they used to have lots of ethical/moral dilemmas, and you'd usually be rewarded for doing the "right" thing, but then other times you'd end up dead because of it!

They were great because you could do the same book several times and end up with a completely different storyline each time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I remember Goosebumps had one of these. They are class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Could you send away for them with tokens from cereals or something??? I remember having quite a few but I know they weren't bought!

Vaguely remember having a kinda Robin Hood one and one from medieval times also

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

kfallon wrote: »
    Could you send away for them with tokens from cereals or something??? I remember having quite a few but I know they weren't bought!

Vaguely remember having a kinda Robin Hood one and one from medieval times also
    I think Weetabix did that for a while alright.
    I used to borrow them from the school library.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Ah yes it was Weetabix, I remember now, used to read them sitting on the 'throne' after the weetabix had kicked in. Nothing like turning to page 67 cos I wanted to go left at the crossroad while pushing out a big 'un on the bog.

During those weetabix you could have set your watch by my arse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭JohnDee

I used to devour these books :D

steve Jackson and ian livingston wrote the best ones in my mind, Deathtrap Dungeon,Citidel of Chaos,House of Hell etc.

Lone Wolf series by joe Dever were also good but too easy to finish.

I'm just after finding this thread after finally finding out what these books were called after more than twenty years of wondering! :D

Weetabix did a promotion of "Choose Your Own Adventure" books in the eighties and one of the books was called "The Horror of High Ridge". I remember reading it when quite young and it was quite scary and grisly. I'm off to try and buy it somewhere...thank god for the internet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Lynnsie

Weetabix did a promotion of "Choose Your Own Adventure" books in the eighties and one of the books was called "The Horror of High Ridge". I remember reading it when quite young and it was quite scary and grisly. I'm off to try and buy it somewhere...thank god for the internet!

I loved that one! Wasn't that the one with the Indian ghosts? I vaguely remember that I always seemed to end up being killed by a tomahawk

Miss Lala wrote: »
    I loved that one! Wasn't that the one with the Indian ghosts? I vaguely remember that I always seemed to end up being killed by a tomahawk
    Yeah that's the one! I was always getting butchered no matter what. I had another one too which I don't remember as much....I think it was "Mountain Survival" but can't be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Lynnsie

Yeah that's the one! I was always getting butchered no matter what. I had another one too which I don't remember as much....I think it was "Mountain Survival" but can't be sure.

Yeah it was called "Mountain Survival", I don't think it was as good the Horror of High Ridge though. I still know the names because the books are still in my old room and now my nieces and nephews read them. They keep getting killed by tomahawks too. :D

Miss Lala wrote: »
    Yeah it was called "Mountain Survival", I don't think it was as good the Horror of High Ridge though. I still know the names because the books are still in my old room and now my nieces and nephews read them. They keep getting killed by tomahawks too. :D
    The Horror of High Ridge sticks in my memory because I think it traumatised me! :D Just after buying a copy on Amazon UK for a fiver including postage! This time I'm going to solve the mystery and not get scalped!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

They were just the best! I used to try to beat the book, spent hours flicking back and forth through the different scenarios to see which one would end up with me winning! usually failed though, and that damned Indian Spirit/maze monster/wizard killed me lol

IMG_0819.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

The horror! Crikey I was only around 10 when I was subjected to this stuff! And they give out about video games these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

There is a retro website called home of the underdog
    that offers free dowloands for games/books/texts etc
    someplace on the site you can download ebook versions
    of some of the choose your own adventure books although
    its been years since I've been on the site:

http://www.hotud.org/rpg/tag/subgenre/Choose+Your+Own+Adventure/criteria:3/

I had loads of the books.
    The actual "Choose your own adventure" Brand was crap
    compared to the other books at the time. When browsing
    2nd hand bookstores as a kid and looking for books like
    this, that brand always had the most on the shelf with other brands of the same type of book being more rare.

There was protues a bi-monthly magazine in the style of RPG choose your own adventure which were tough.

There was also Novels big fat books that had a re-occuring character called Lone Wolf some barbarian/ranger/warrior character spanning several books. The story alone as a young teenager was awesome.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Wolf_%28gamebooks%29
    Web versions/pdf's available here:
    http://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Books

There was some sci-fi time travel series aswell which were
    great with fantastic drawings in them.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Those CYOA books certainly had some odd writing in them. I think the weirdest way I was ever killed in one was "trampled to death by soccer hooligans at a match in the Maracana stadium Rio"

I've always wanted to pick whatever that ^^ book was up again so I could show it to people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

LOL Did ye keep your fingers stuck in the the page where you made your choice so you could go back if you were killed ??

I did !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I defo remember having this one. Not a CYOA book but had the same method.

http://indianajones.wikia.com/wiki/Indiana_Jones_and_the_Cup_of_the_Vampire

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

IMG_0819.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

The horror! Crikey I was only around 10 when I was subjected to this stuff! And they give out about video games these days.

Ooh I remember this! I think I had nightmares about those pictures but I loved that book and the crazy Indian one as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I remember this too, class! My brother and I had this one plus the crazy Indian one, Mountain Survival was by far my favourite. I imagine they're in my parents' attic still...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

There's two of those books of which the OP speaks upstairs on the bookshelf. There's a picture of a lion-like creature on the cover of one, only it has much sharper teeth and red eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

I remember one where you had to break into a factory and I think steal a robot. I remember at least one pic where you are overlooking the factory and can choose how to break in. Would love to find it again. Wonder why it is still so vivid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

LOL Did ye keep your fingers stuck in the the page where you made your choice so you could go back if you were killed ??

I did !

I always did that :D

The main ones I remember were a miniature series, included in Dick Turtle lucky bags. Instead of Indiana Jones, these were about a hero called Mississippi Smith. My favourite one involved some ancient temple and diamonds, I'd love to find one or two again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Archeron

This thread made me go and find my prized set of 4 Steve Jackons :)

The Shamutanti Hills,
    Kare, Cityport of traps
    The Seven Serpents,
    The Crown of Kings

Looks like thats Sunday taken up!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

The Horror of High Ridge sticks in my memory because I think it traumatised me!

It's been over 20 yezars since I last read that book and it still sticks in my memory.
    There was one ending where I ended up tied to a stake while a crazy ghost cowboys approched me with a red-hot poker to gouge my eyes out...

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭magnus500

Joe dever wrote all the lone wolfs one, they were ace! I'm looking for numbers 21 to 30 if anyone has and isn't using them. Steve jackson and ian livingstone wrote all the fighting fantasy books, i think the robot one is Robot Commando.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

IMG_0819.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

Which one is that does anyone know? I remembered it the minute I saw the first pic.

• Advertisement

IIRC it's "The Horror of High Ridge".

Advertisement