Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 3GS with 4.01 firmware

Options
  • 19-07-2010 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,

I'm seriously considering buying a used iPhone 3GS today (needs to be today!!) but it is locked to Vodafone. Now I know there are jailbreaking and unlocking programs around and these seem to be pretty easy to do with a bit of patience.

But can someone please tell me is there currently a way of jailbreaking and unlocking an iphone running 4.01 firmware? Any links and tips would be much appreciated. I'm new to this whole iPhone unlocking concept by the way!

Cheers! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

extaste wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm seriously considering buying a used iPhone 3GS today (needs to be today!!) but it is locked to Vodafone. Now I know there are jailbreaking and unlocking programs around and these seem to be pretty easy to do with a bit of patience.

But can someone please tell me is there currently a way of jailbreaking and unlocking an iphone running 4.01 firmware? Any links and tips would be much appreciated. I'm new to this whole iPhone unlocking concept by the way!

Cheers! :)

Simple answer is no!

They group of people who develop unlocks http://blog.iphone-dev.org/
    have a potential tethered jailbreak for a 3gs but have not released it yet and as far as i am aware there is also no carrier unlock for 4.0.1 on a 3gs with the newer baseband.

the link i provided or http://www.iclarified.com/ are 2 reliable source for information on Jailbreaking and unlocking

• Registered Users Posts: 11 extaste

Ok Robbie, but is it only a matter of time before a jailbreak/unlock is made available? I don't mind having to wait to unlock the phone but I'd want to know that it can eventually be unlocked.

Would you have any idea when there will be one made available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Nobody can give you answer to that. Full jailbreak/unlock for 4.01 might happen soon or never.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 extaste

Would it be possible to downgrade the iPhone's firmware to 3.1.3 and jailbreak/unlock it then..? This particular iPhone was bought 2 months ago (don't know if that makes a difference)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

extaste wrote: »
    Would it be possible to downgrade the iPhone's firmware to 3.1.3 and jailbreak/unlock it then..? This particular iPhone was bought 2 months ago (don't know if that makes a difference)

has the phone ever been jailbroken?

If it was jailbroken previously and has shsh blobs backed up for 3.1.3 or 3.1.2 then yes you can downgrade.

If it was never jailbroken then no you wont be able to jailbreak and unlock until a 4.0.1 unlock and jailbreak is released!

at present there is no scheduled release date for an unlock and JB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Hi,

I am having a similar problem, I have a jailbroken iphone 3 (8gb model) with 4.01 firmware.

I would really like to downgrade the firmware, is there anyone in Cork or anywhere I can go to bet this done???

PLZ help!!! The firmware is just too much for the device, it is way too slow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

Hi,

I am having a similar problem, I have a jailbroken iphone 3 (8gb model) with 4.01 firmware.

I would really like to downgrade the firmware, is there anyone in Cork or anywhere I can go to bet this done???

PLZ help!!! The firmware is just too much for the device, it is way too slow :(
    have ya got SHSH saved with cydia or tinyumbrella

guil wrote: »
    have ya got SHSH saved with cydia or tinyumbrella

Ah, you are back to save me once again :D

Afraid to say, I don't know. I bought it with this firmware already installed, only want to do this because I heard it will improve performance greatly.

Is it a long process or would I be better off forgetting about it or getting some phone crowd to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

no its easy, dont ever pay anyone to downgrade or jailbreak a device, non techs are under the impression its a hard thing to do, it's not, save your cash it couldn't be easier...

when you open cydia, at the top of the page does it say.."SHSH: iOS 4.01...3.1.3...3.1.2..etc...if so these are the firmwares you can roll back to...

come back with an answer !!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

Was there not a quite an issue of 4.0.1 being very slow on iPhone 3GS but that an update to a later version, 4.1 perhaps, sorted it out easily enough?

I could be wrong but something rings a bell with it.

Failing that, guill is right, downgrading/jailbreaking is a relatively process and you should be able to do it yourself once you have instructions. Best of luck.

• Advertisement

the 3gs was grand on 4.0.1
    the 3g was slow though

isn't it possible to downgrade some 3g iphones without SHSH

iPwnage wrote: »
    no its easy, dont ever pay anyone to downgrade or jailbreak a device, non techs are under the impression its a hard thing to do, it's not, save your cash it couldn't be easier...

when you open cydia, at the top of the page does it say.."SHSH: iOS 4.01...3.1.3...3.1.2..etc...if so these are the firmwares you can roll back to...

come back with an answer !!

I'm doing that now, mine is a 3g and it is quite slow in fairness compared to other iphones I've seen, so rolling back might be a good idea in my case

I'm afraid not man, it just says.....

"Your ECID is.....................

Apple uses..... blah blah blah, you prob know the rest.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

guil wrote: »
    isn't it possible to downgrade some 3g iphones without SHSH
    Correct.

On newer devices the SHSH blobs are stored in hardware. The iPhone 3G SHSH blobs are stored in software and apple only started with it in iOS 4. Therefore you can restore your 3G to any iOS below 4.0 without any SHSH blobs needing to be saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Sorry lads I could be wrong but can't you jailbreak 4.01 with http://jailbreakme.com because it was susceptible to that pdf exploit
    then download ultrasnow to unlock?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

crazyderk wrote: »
    Sorry lads I could be wrong but can't you jailbreak 4.01 with http://jailbreakme.com because it was susceptible to that pdf exploit
    then download ultrasnow to unlock?

That's true these days but look at the date of the original post.

Jakmeehan wrote: »
    Correct.

On newer devices the SHSH blobs are stored in hardware. The iPhone 3G SHSH blobs are stored in software and apple only started with it in iOS 4. Therefore you can restore your 3G to any iOS below 4.0 without any SHSH blobs needing to be saved.

Hi,

Can you advise me further on how to do this?

Just download an ipsw for whatever firmware ya want below 4.0 and then in iTunes press shift and click restore. Find and load the ipsw and it should restore to it
    Search clarified for ipsw's

I'll try that, I'm using a PC as opposed to a mac so is the process any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭JavaBeans

I'll try that, I'm using a PC as opposed to a mac so is the process any different?

hey, no difference pc/mac
    here's 3.1.3 firmware for a 3G phone, (you sure its 3g and not 3gs as the thread title says, there is a differnce in firmwares and downgrade procedure )

if 3G, just download, open itunes, press shift and restore, and locate to the 3.1.3 fw you just downloaded ! job done

then when activating phone, best set it up as a new phone, not from back up, for best performance
    then re-sync your stuff

• Advertisement

JavaBeans wrote: »
    hey, no difference pc/mac
    here's 3.1.3 firmware for a 3G phone, (you sure its 3g and not 3gs as the thread title says, there is a differnce in firmwares and downgrade procedure )

if 3G, just download, open itunes, press shift and restore, and locate to the 3.1.3 fw you just downloaded ! job done

then when activating phone, best set it up as a new phone, not from back up, for best performance
    then re-sync your stuff

Cheers for the help folks, really appreciate it, doing it now....

Hope it goes well!!!

When I installed the firmware 3.1.3 itunes said I needed to restore before iphone could be used with itunes????

It also said it would download the latest firmware for it????

Is this right or wrong?

Nope....

I'm in trouble, according to itunes I am stuck in recovery mode & I can't restore it either.

When I tried to install the 3.1.3 firmware it brought me to the itunes menu and it would not recognize the device without restoring so any ideas lads???? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Nope....

I'm in trouble, according to itunes I am stuck in recovery mode & I can't restore it either.

When I tried to install the 3.1.3 firmware it brought me to the itunes menu and it would not recognize the device without restoring so any ideas lads???? :confused:

Download tinyumbrella you will see an option saying kick device out of recovery mode.

Just did that now, clicked on 'Exit Recovery' and got the silver apple loading again and back to the same 'connect to itunes' screen :eek:

fox007 wrote: »
    Download tinyumbrella you will see an option saying kick device out of recovery mode.

Ok, I managed to kick it out of recovery mode, but now it is locked in emergency calls only & itunes is saying that I am using a sim card that is not supported.....

I'm guessing I must jailbreak it, am I right?

If so, is it complicated?

Ok, I managed to kick it out of recovery mode, but now it is locked in emergency calls only & itunes is saying that I am using a sim card that is not supported.....

I'm guessing I must jailbreak it, am I right?

If so, is it complicated?

jailbreak the phone with the new sim you want to use as you need to "hactivate" the phone try that lets know how you get on

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

put the meteor sim or what ever sim you want to use in the iphone and jailbrek it with red snow or what ever software your using, then the iphone should start back up with out the connect to itunes screen.

• Advertisement

fox007 wrote: »
    put the meteor sim or what ever sim you want to use in the iphone and jailbrek it with red snow or what ever software your using, then the iphone should start back up with out the connect to itunes screen.

Just to update on this....

I've jailbroken it (I think.... using Snowbreeze)
    I'm on a pay as you go SIM (Meteor)
    & the Iphone is from the states as far as I can tell.....

It says: 'Insert a valid SIM with NO PIN to activate this iphone'

If I got a pay as you go sim (on 02 lets say) then I should be able to access Cydia right?

Advertisement