Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone For Golf (FG Style)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    By definition, it does. "not as bad" = "better than".

It doesn't make it acceptable, true, but in the absence of an actual, ethical alternative, it certainly makes it "better". By definition.

You finish 20th in the Premiership and you will be relegated.
    You finish 19th in the Premiership and you will be relegated.

19th is not as bad as 20th, in fact its "better" but in reality its still crap.

FG have an alternative. Under Noonan they would not accept corporate donations, Kenny changed this and thus leaves the party open to possible influence and corruption of donators.

He could change this, he chooses not too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

bijapos wrote: »
    You finish 20th in the Premiership and you will be relegated.
    You finish 19th in the Premiership and you will be relegated.

19th is not as bad as 20th, in fact its "better" but in reality its still crap.

I would suggest that Ahern's "not gonna be paid back until found out" dig-outs and Callely's expenses and votes of confidence in O'Dea, and NAMA and the ill-thought-through bailouts are worth a LOT more than a single place in the table.

Also, where are the other 18 teams that you speak of ?

I agree with what you're saying to a point, particularly as we're not talking about the Premiership, we're talking about division 6 or 7.

But there's no denying that getting rid of FF would be a significant improvement.

We need a better class of politician overall, but FF are in a league of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I would suggest that Ahern's "not gonna be paid back until found out" dig-outs and Callely's expenses and votes of confidence in O'Dea, and NAMA and the ill-thought-through bailouts are worth a LOT more than a single place in the table.

Also, where are the other 18 teams that you speak of ?

I was just using a metaphor, wasn't insinuating that there are 18 alternatives.
    But there's no denying that getting rid of FF would be a significant improvement.

Couldn't agree more with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I was just using a metaphor, wasn't insinuating that there are 18 alternatives.

I appreciate that, but the extension of the metaphor is apt, because if there are 4 or 5 teams then the crap ones will still be in the top 5.
    Couldn't agree more with you.

Well hopefully enough people will think the same way whenever we get the chance to choose.

That said, you've made some valid points; FF are dire, but FG need to be told to raise their game and close off all of the loopholes; "better than dire", even significantly better, is not good enough for this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

Wel, after todays indo which I glanced at it seems FG have taken large donations from the NAMA developers- so much for a new start!!

Avé! Duci novo, similis duci seneci!

I have always said FF and FG are two cheeks of the one arse

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

They have been involved in dodgy rezonings for years, look at your own county council records, the vast majority of rezonings are voted in by FF and FG together.

Has anything ever come of that or is the story just going to be let slip away.

Look, its quite simple. FF and FG really are the same, there is very little between them. The only real difference is 1922.

If non-dynastic, anti corruption FG politicians like Varadker and Creighton want change they should drop the FG whip, as George Lee should have done.

Otherwise - as we have seen with Noonan, the old war horses from the Christian Democratic side of FG will come to the fore, they are from old FG stock and will always put party first.

Activists from other parties like Labours Gerry Crowley, ex FG George Lee or the Greens Dierdre De Burca really want to break the mold and make a change, they should look at alternatives like Amhran Nua or even Fis Nua

Otherwise we are stuck in "La groundhogeen"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Whats the name of the purposed new party i heard about recently. Brendan O'Brien on Newstalk was saying there was a meeting fixed for Kilkenny to guage opinons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Question:
    How thick do you have to be to allow a developer within a 20mile radius of a fund raiser for your political party.

Answer:
    Enda Kenny thick.

To speak frankly, when FG do only marginally better the FF in the next election Kenny is going to look like a massive bozo(more so then now). He will take the honor of the worst party leader of all time. Leading the party into abject failure, not that I care mind as they'd of not got my vote.

As an aside on the Lucinda Creighton debate here it seems the only balls the men in FG have are Golfballs

• Advertisement
Advertisement