Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginning to Invest - All questions go here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Dividend withholding tax for Irish companies is 25%. It could be that.
    No the dividend withholding tax is taken from the 63 cent.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Article II, Section 2 of the Double Tax agreement:

https://www.newsd.admin.ch/newsd/message/attachments/25548.pdf

The best is to ask your broker how they apply it.

(Seems a bit strange that no one else has chipped in... surely someone here, must own a Swiss MNC and got dividends?)
    Bob24 wrote: »
    To complicate the matter more my broker is neither based is Ireland nor in Switzerland so I’m not sure they’ll be to interested in discussing Irish-Swiss tax treaties, but I’ll drop them a message and see what they say! (Although I fear they will give a vague answer so that they don’t commit to anything ...)

So the broker came back and said that since they are not located in Ireland or Switzerland, they are not able to apply the reduced withholding tax rate from the tax treaty.

I suspect this will be a problem with most brokers. I know there is a similar issue with French shares whereby France has a 30% withholding tax for French tax residents which is reduced to 12,8% for tax residents of foreign countries countries France has tax treaties with. But only French brokers seem to apply that reduced rate of 12.8%; for example DeGiro will apply the full 30% to Irish tax residents even though they should only pay 12.8%, and because the tax treaty between France and Ireland says 12.8 this is all you can offset against other tax liabilities here so you get screwed with the other 17.2%.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

So the broker came back and said that since they are not located in Ireland or Switzerland, they are not able to apply the reduced withholding tax rate from the tax treaty.

Ouch, not good.

I guess the first problem is that the shares are not registered in your name, but some kind of nominee and so the company making the dividend distributions have no idea of the ultimate owner's residential status. And so the standard withholding takes in each country apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Has Degiro been more glitchy than usual for anyone else? I'm finding it slow to refresh figures and graphs and the daily loss/gain (while a useless figure anyway) has been all over the place.

I wish they would stop messing around with things at such a crucial time. I thought they were overwhelmed with traffic as it is?!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Has Degiro been more glitchy than usual for anyone else? I'm finding it slow to refresh figures and graphs and the daily loss/gain (while a useless figure anyway) has been all over the place.

I wish they would stop messing around with things at such a crucial time. I thought they were overwhelmed with traffic as it is?!

Being overwhelmed with traffic is probably cause for those issues...

• Advertisement

bfa1509 wrote: »

A lot of Europe was very patchy today. Some parts did not have access to Vienna or London for most of the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Hey Guys, can anyone tell if Star Bank in USA is legit, please?

Answer via pm if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

I see on the shares to look out for thread people talking about a range around 2500, what exactly is this range and what significance does it have on buying a particular company's stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭Shedite27

1123heavy wrote: »
    I see on the shares to look out for thread people talking about a range around 2500, what exactly is this range and what significance does it have on buying a particular company's stock?

It's the S&P index, probably the most common index to use to see if the market is up or down. It's basically a combination of all the 500 most common stocks (there's a compelx algorith to calculate it). You'll hear a lot of commentators talk about it.

The record in Feb was almost 3400, it dropped to 2300 in a week or so, and has slowly been climbing back to about 2800. Every commentator/analyst would have an idea of where it should be at currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Shedite27 wrote: »
    It's the S&P index, probably the most common index to use to see if the market is up or down. It's basically a combination of all the 500 most common stocks (there's a compelx algorith to calculate it). You'll hear a lot of commentators talk about it.

The record in Feb was almost 3400, it dropped to 2300 in a week or so, and has slowly been climbing back to about 2800. Every commentator/analyst would have an idea of where it should be at currently.

Thanks. Is it something I should really be looking at before buying stock? Is it possible to focus on things at a company/sector level without this added complexity? I've been looking at lots of videos of the do's and don'ts of stock buying but haven't come across this till now

• Advertisement

1123heavy wrote: »
    Thanks. Is it something I should really be looking at before buying stock? Is it possible to focus on things at a company/sector level without this added complexity? I've been looking at lots of videos of the do's and don'ts of stock buying but haven't come across this till now
    I think if there's a stock you like, there's no wrong time to buy.

If you're watching CNBC, all the analysts discuss it a lot. It's an interesting reference point, but it outlines the entire market. The S&P could remain static, while Oil and Airlines go way down, balanced out by Amazon and Google having a good week.

I think if there's a stock you like, there's no wrong time to buy.

Dead wrong! Most people have no problem identifying the good stocks, but few of them will buy the stock at a price that gives them a good chance of earning a reasonable return. There are in fact very occasions on which to buy the popular stocks at a price that will give you the opportunity to earning a reasonable return at a reasonable risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Anyone having issues buying FBD or Ryanair on DEGIRO? It is like they have no live price for them and don't actively show what the bid/ask is.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 tamova

Hi folks.

I'm new to the world of investing (or saving really!) and I'm trying to figure out how to invest. For context, I'm 24 and I'm currently enrolled in my company's pension plan (with max contribution, which they double) and I have also enrolled in the ESPP as I get 10% discount on a really stable growth stock.

The ESPP has been going pretty good and I seen a 25% return on my first purchase of stocks (which I'm guessing is definitely timing related). I also put 1500$ in to a stock on Revolut trading and I've seen a 3.5% return on that in three days. I think I'm doing fairly decent but I'm really just taking shots in the dark.

I'm trying to get in to videos on youtube but it's all very US-centric. The Irish tax aspect also has me a little baffled.

Could anyone provide me with some tips on books or youtube channels etc to get me started?

Thanks a million.

tamova wrote: »
    Hi folks.

I'm new to the world of investing (or saving really!) and I'm trying to figure out how to invest. For context, I'm 24 and I'm currently enrolled in my company's pension plan (with max contribution, which they double) and I have also enrolled in the ESPP as I get 10% discount on a really stable growth stock.

The ESPP has been going pretty good and I seen a 25% return on my first purchase of stocks (which I'm guessing is definitely timing related). I also put 1500$ in to a stock on Revolut trading and I've seen a 3.5% return on that in three days. I think I'm doing fairly decent but I'm really just taking shots in the dark.

I'm trying to get in to videos on youtube but it's all very US-centric. The Irish tax aspect also has me a little baffled.

Could anyone provide me with some tips on books or youtube channels etc to get me started?

Thanks a million.

There's far more people invested in the US stock market than Irish, cheaper fees and more companies to choose from. I always advise people to download the MyWallSt Learn App and go through their lessons for a good introduction course.

The basic version of Irish tax is:
    1. Any dividends you get paid, treat them as income, declare them on Revenue online and they'll tell ya how much ya owe based on your circumstances (20% or 40%.
    2. When you sell shares, it counts as a gain/loss. Add up your gains/losses at the end of the year and pay 33% on that.

March/April has been record setting for the US Tech/Communications stock so 3.5% in 3 days is all over the place at the moment, won't last forever I'm afraid, but take it while it's going

There's far more people invested in the US stock market than Irish, cheaper fees and more companies to choose from. I always advise people to download the MyWallSt Learn App and go through their lessons for a good introduction course.

The basic version of Irish tax is:
    1. Any dividends you get paid, treat them as income, declare them on Revenue online and they'll tell ya how much ya owe based on your circumstances (20% or 40%.
    2. When you sell shares, it counts as a gain/loss. Add up your gains/losses at the end of the year and pay 33% on that.

March/April has been record setting for the US Tech/Communications stock so 3.5% in 3 days is all over the place at the moment, won't last forever I'm afraid, but take it while it's going

Thank you for this advice!

Question, with the tax exemption of capital gains up to 1270 - can I hold on to these shares and just file there loss/gain every year (basically meaning I'd be exempt as I doubt I'll be earning more than 1k a year in gains)? If I did this and sold them ten years down the line, I wouldn't have a lump sum capital gains payment would I?

Thank you for this advice!

Question, with the tax exemption of capital gains up to 1270 - can I hold on to these shares and just file there loss/gain every year (basically meaning I'd be exempt as I doubt I'll be earning more than 1k a year in gains)? If I did this and sold them ten years down the line, I wouldn't have a lump sum capital gains payment would I?

Sorry, not sure why I skipped that bit, should be:

2. When you sell shares, it counts as a gain/loss. Add up your gains/losses at the end of the year, keep the first 1270 tax free, and pay 33% on the balance.

No, you only count the gain/loss in the year you sell them. It's annoying for those that want to hold long term, If you buy now, grow 1k each year for 10 years, then sell in year 10, you pay no tax for the first 10 years, then in year 10 you would have a gain of 10k, subtract the tax free allowance for that year (1270), so you'd owe tax on 8730. Pay 33% on that (2880), so you'd keep about 7300 of the 10k gain.

On the flip side, means you don't need to make a CGT return every year.

2. When you sell shares, it counts as a gain/loss. Add up your gains/losses at the end of the year, keep the first 1270 tax free, and pay 33% on the balance.

No, you only count the gain/loss in the year you sell them. It's annoying for those that want to hold long term, If you buy now, grow 1k each year for 10 years, then sell in year 10, you pay no tax for the first 10 years, then in year 10 you would have a gain of 10k, subtract the tax free allowance for that year (1270), so you'd owe tax on 8730. Pay 33% on that (2880), so you'd keep about 7300 of the 10k gain.

And just to add to this, if you are making net losses some years to file them in a tax return as they can be offset agains future gains in the following years (if I am not mistaken).

Really helpful thank you.

Would it be possible for me to sell my shares annually to avail of the tax exemption, then take this money and put it straight back in to shares?

Really helpful thank you.

Would it be possible for me to sell my shares annually to avail of the tax exemption, then take this money and put it straight back in to shares?
    To be honest, I thought it didn't count as a gain if you bought it back within 30 days, and p0sted about it a few days ago (halfway down this page), people have come back both agreeing with my view and others with a different interpretations. So essentially I don't know.

Concentrate on making over 1,270 gains a year first and we'll worry about the tax implications then

• Advertisement

Do most solely invest in shares or diversify into bonds, etfs crypto, commodities? What's a good portfolio?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Do most solely invest in shares or diversify into bonds, etfs crypto, commodities? What's a good portfolio?

Very much depends on your particular investment target and timeframe, as well as your own beliefs on where the economy is going and how involved you want to be with following your investments.

The advice you will often hear is that for a medium term “lazy” investment strategy, you can go 60% on a MSCI world (or S&P500) stocks ETF, 40% on bonds, and rebalance regularity.

But this is rather far from what I am personally doing.

It is a good idea to think of what you are trying to achieve and then understand what the appropriate options are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

pocketdooz wrote: »
    Do you really get 7-8% in the credit union?

I dont think so.

Most credit unions are paying Zilch, Zero, Nought :-(. In fact some have even set limits on how much you can save with them now.

Steer55 wrote: »
    Most credit unions are paying Zilch, Zero, Nought :-(. In fact some have even set limits on how much you can save with them now.

Just in case you overlooked it, the post you are replying to dates back from 2010.

Very much depends on your particular investment target and timeframe, as well as your own convictions and how involved you want to be with following your investments.

The advice you will often hear is that for a medium term “lazy” investment strategy, you can go 60% on a MSCI world (or S&P500) stocks ETF, 40% on bonds, and rebalance regularity.

But this is rather far from what I am personally doing.

It is a good idea to think of what you are trying to achieve and then understand what the appropriate options are.

Cheers Bob

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Am I right, that generally from a tax efficiency perspective, you want the majority of your gains to come through increase in the share price rather than dividends, as you pay income tax, USC and PRSI, whereas you can get the first €1,270 capital gains tax free, and the remainder at 33%?

Assuming I am willing to tolerate the risk, am I best off focusing on selecting a diversified portfolio of non dividend paying shares?

Also, given the stamp duty on Irish and UK shares, should I be primarily looking at other stock markets, such as the NYSE?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Blisterman wrote: »
    Am I right, that generally from a tax efficiency perspective, you want the majority of your gains to come through increase in the share price rather than dividends, as you pay income tax, USC and PRSI, whereas you can get the first €1,270 capital gains tax free, and the remainder at 33%?

Assuming I am willing to tolerate the risk, am I best off focusing on selecting a diversified portfolio of non dividend paying shares?

Also, given the stamp duty on Irish and UK shares, should I be primarily looking at other stock markets, such as the NYSE?

Yep, that was my take on it, had similar discussion in some thread not that long ago. Stamp duty is quite low on LSX as far as I could see, especially if you're being for long hold so I wouldn't be concerned about that though (didn't check Irish shares as up-until-now wasn't interested in any)...

If luckin coffee are de listed will the shareholders be reimbursed?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

If luckin coffee are de listed will the shareholders be reimbursed?

No, you are an owner - there is nothing to reimbursed. It just means the shares can no longer be traded on the exchange. Normal the shares can then be traded on some OTC market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Hello folks, just about to create a portfolio and have a good idea of my split between stocks, bonds, cryptocurrencies, etc. My question is what is the best application/online trader to go with for trading stocks?

I have heard anecdotally that Revolut is too basic, Trading 212 is decent and DeGiro is robust and reliable. Uncertain regarding the others.

Any advice on which to go with? Investment will be circa €10k for reference.

Advertisement