Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Jim2007 wrote: »
    By doing so I would expect you might also run into CGT issues if the stock did well during the period.

Yes, but it's worth making the exempt €1270 CGT profit as early in the year as possible so you never waste this exemption. You can record a profit on sale and immediately buy back stock - no problem, there's a problem however if you do it with losses, as these won't count if you re-buy within some time.

While paying the marginal income tax rate (40/50%) it's likely better to make a "capital gain" than "income". CGT is 33% as oppose to 40%+ income tax plus you have the annual exemption.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    But Irish policy, in line with most of former British Empire, is to encourage wealth growth through property ownership, ignoring the fact that it has not gone too well since the Industrial revolution!

It would take a major paradigm shift to change that culture.

Here in Switzerland we have the opposite situation, owning a property is the last thing a taxpayer will want to do because you will get absolutely hammered. Where as equity investing is for most of us a tax free exercise.

Sounds like Switzerland is a place to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

voluntary wrote: »
    Yes, but it's worth making the exempt €1270 CGT profit as early in the year as possible so you never waste this exemption. You can record a profit on sale and immediately buy back stock - no problem, there's a problem however if you do it with losses, as these won't count if you re-buy within some time.
    I thought you couldn't buy back the same stock for 30 days?

Can't find on revenue.ie or anything but got this from here

Bed & Breakfasting

“Bed & breakfasting” means selling a sufficient number of shares each year to generate a Gain of €2,540 (€1,270 for an individual), and buying them back again after a minimum of 30 days. The effect is to increase the Base Cost of the shares, and thereby lessen the Capital Gains Tax liability.

There is a risk that during the 30 days, the shares might jump in price. Of course if you sell, and buy back at a higher price, you lose some of the benefit of “bed & breakfasting”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

Goddammit I missed VSTM at $4... Back down .... AGAIN.

Is there any Android app out there that sends you a notification when a certain price is reached? I'm on Degiro basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Treppen wrote: »

Is there any Android app out there that sends you a notification when a certain price is reached? I'm on Degiro basic.

Investing.com is very good.....very handy for live prices, portfolio, watchlists and alerts - stick the app on your phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I thought you couldn't buy back the same stock for 30 days?

Can't find on revenue.ie or anything but got this from here

Bed & Breakfasting

“Bed & breakfasting” means selling a sufficient number of shares each year to generate a Gain of €2,540 (€1,270 for an individual), and buying them back again after a minimum of 30 days. The effect is to increase the Base Cost of the shares, and thereby lessen the Capital Gains Tax liability.

There is a risk that during the 30 days, the shares might jump in price. Of course if you sell, and buy back at a higher price, you lose some of the benefit of “bed & breakfasting”.

Coincidentally the day I sell to lock in the €1270 tfa my missus buys the same stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

timetogo1 wrote: »
    Coincidentally the day I sell to lock in the €1270 tfa my missus buys the same stock.

Having read the revenue guidance there looks to be no stipulation on a minimum sitting out period when you realise gains. There is a 4 week period for realising losses which is probably being confused with the matter here.

A realised gain is a realised gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Yahoo finance?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

You can set the Sell order to execute when certain amount is reached... you can even use Stop Limit for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

timetogo1 wrote: »

If the wife isn't using her capital gains exception I'd imagine it's transferable?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Browney7 wrote: »
    Having read the revenue guidance there looks to be no stipulation on a minimum sitting out period when you realise gains. There is a 4 week period for realising losses which is probably being confused with the matter here.

To prevent tax loss harvesting i presume?

So:

Sell and Buy for gain - yay :D

Sell and Buy for loss - nay :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Tesla back up to 780, after dropping below 700 with the Elon share price is too high tweets. Going on Tesla share logic that sub 700$ price was probably a perfect entry point and hold until it goes back above the pre Elon tweet price lol.

Browney7 wrote: »

That's my understanding as well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You are playing with penny stocks where pump and dump is the name of the game and the drop looks classic, but you’d want to see the order book to be sure... either way you’ll be the last to know and a notification app is too slow.

The only way you can beat a pump and dump, without being in the know, is to put in a sell order at the price you want that expires 12 months out. That way you’ll get carried along in the deal rather than ending up the patsy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

voluntary wrote: »
    Sounds like Switzerland is a place to be!

Providing you don’t want to own a property...

We also don’t have married couples taxation. The wife’s income is just added to the husband’s income and he is taxed as as a single person. And we don’t have progressive tax rates, your entire income is taxed at the highest rate possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

+80% gain on TWLO now, they've had a massive day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Investing.com is very good.....very handy for live prices, portfolio, watchlists and alerts - stick the app on your phone.

Cheers bob

+80% gain on TWLO now, they've had a massive day.
    Been a massive week for the cloud based stuff, this new world is made for them. Chubb, Wix, Atlassian, Spotify, Paypal and now Twillo all smashed their earnings and got massive boosts. All gonna be big players in the next few years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Yeah theres loads of them i want to buy but gonna have to wait for a drop. I am really bullish on shopify. They are spending 1 billion on a distrbution network in the US. I think this is going to be huge.

• Advertisement

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Yeah theres loads of them i want to buy but gonna have to wait for a drop. I am really bullish on shopify. They are spending 1 billion on a distrbution network in the US. I think this is going to be huge.

Yeah i bought them at $350 during the drop, beast of a stock, biggest company in Canada now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

OwlsZat wrote: »
    Good news for Pluristem. Up 15% today. :)

Pluristem cleared for P2 Covid-19 study for those with Respiratory (ARDS) complications. So far 13/13 on compassionate use. Study enroling 140 people. Looking forward to the results already.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Yeah i bought them at $350 during the drop, beast of a stock, biggest company in Canada now

Also looking to buy, will think about timing entry point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Well KTOV swing wildly back to .34 this morning so I picked em up again to see what happens.

This worked out well, was able to sell at .426 this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Also looking to buy, will think about timing entry point.

I would like a piece of this too but I'm thinking the $720 mark isn't a great time to enter- fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Ekels wrote: »
      I would like a piece of this too but I'm thinking the $720 mark isn't a great time to enter- fair?

No tbh i know nooone has a crystal ball but i just think there is going to be another crash. It will probably depend on the stimulus packages in the US. They may just keep going with it but the current one has a date and then workers can be legally laid off. Whether they extend or not we will probably know soon. What happens then when there is mass unemployment. I am hoping stockmarket wise that we get one more 20/30% drop and then i will pick up Tesla, Shopify, Atlassian and a few others.

https://www.logiwa.com/blog/shopify-fulfillment-amazon-fba

If they are successful with the above it will be massive.

Ekels wrote: »

RSI 14 suggests it's overbought. Just watching for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

RSI 14 suggests it's overbought. Just watching for me.
      Dont you mean oversold?

No tbh i know nooone has a crystal ball but i just think there is going to be another crash. It will probably depend on the stimulus packages in the US. They may just keep going with it but the current one has a date and then workers can be legally laid off. Whether they extend or not we will probably know soon. What happens then when there is mass unemployment. I am hoping stockmarket wise that we get one more 20/30% drop and then i will pick up Tesla, Shopify, Atlassian and a few others.

Shopify supply online stores mainly for SME's, so the big question is what happens if a lot of those SME's go bankrupt. That's the key to a potential crash from them. If the SME's stay in buisness, Shopify will continue to thrive

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

So you're saying 'no' because is $720 is a good time to enter or 'no' because $720 isn't a good time to enter (like I implied)?

Advertisement