Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurospar Northwood - Beware!

Options
  • 16-07-2010 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else who shop here noticed the prices at the till is often more than whats on the shelf ?
    Supposed its false advertising in a way!

Its happened to me twice in the last few weeks.
    First instance was with quarter pounders - 3.99 on the fridge and 4.99 on the receipt so said it to the sales assistant who went and checked with the manager.
    Anyway they both come back to me, apologised and refunded the difference.

Went there on Wednesday to get few things picked up a fish pie meal and noticed when I was at the till the price came up as 5.79 even though it was 3.99 on the shelf :eek:
    Asked the guy at the till to check and guess what? The price on the shelf was correct.

I have seen lots of people buy the equivalent to a weekly shop and wander off out the door trusting they were not overcharged as the receipt was just put in the bin.

Anyway I am voting with my feet and using the centra up in Santry from now on.
    Is there somewhere I can report this sharp practice ?
    It happens too often to be a coincidence!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

Yes you can report it. There will more than likely be a surprise visit from consumer affairs to scan all barcodes in the supermarket. If there items are scanning at a higher price than they will be fined anything up to 2000 euro PER ITEM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭jd

3 years on!
    http://corporate.nca.ie/eng/About/Enforcement/Compliance-Notices/Compliance-notices.html
    Actions recorded from 1 January - 30 June 2013
    Number of Compliance Notices issued: 18
    Traders who charged more for consumer goods than the price displayed, in contravention of Sections 42 and 43 of the Consumer Protection Act 2007
    Messrs. John and Edward Glennon, trading at “Eurospar, Gullivers Retail Park, Northwood, Santry, Dublin 9”

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Iopu

I noticed eurospar in malahide was selling pepsi max 500ml bottles for 1.49 or something. They also were selling pepsi max 50% extra free 750ml. There was no price label at all for that one. I tried to buy it and it scanned in at 2.29. I said I didn't want it.
    They have now labelled it at 1.79. Still more expensive even though its meant to be extra free!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

jd wrote: »

That is a brilliant result... more people should report shops like this ripping off customers by charging more at the till then shown on the shelf.

It's as easy as sending a quick email to the NCA listing the store involved and the example of overcharging.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I find certain super valu stores brutal for this. Funny how they never seem to undercharge eh? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

Happens to me fairly regurally in Quishes Supervalu in Ballincollig, annoying as fvuk, turns me off going there, it happens way to often to be a mistake everytime. You're left standing at the counter like a pleb for a couple of minutes while the staff go way to check the price...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

road_high wrote: »
    I find certain super valu stores brutal for this. Funny how they never seem to undercharge eh? ;)
    Supervalu for me too, and never undercharged. If I pointed it out they would stop the whole queue and go looking for managers and people to check the price and use keys in tills for refunds etc.

It got to the stage I would get something scanned, and say
    "can I leave that back with you, the price is wrong"
    "oh I will check if its right and get it corrected."
    "no thanks, I don't have the time"

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

I stopped using Supervalu in Killester because of exactly this practice, I had shopped there for quite a long time when I happened to get just a couple of items on one visit so I knew how much I expected to pay and when the cashier told me the total it was considerably more (OK only about 1 euro more but as a % of the total that was high) I got it rectified but from then on I kept my eyes open at the till and on EVERY visit then over the next couple of weeks I experienced the same type of discrepancy. Easily solved I voted with my feet and stopped shopping there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Eurospar on Hannover street are ALWAYS doing this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Iopu

I shop at supervalue and I know of a particular item. That is still scanning in at a sale price that was advertised briefly, months ago.

• Advertisement

Iopu wrote: »
    I shop at supervalue and I know of a particular item. That is still scanning in at a sale price that was advertised briefly, months ago.

That's a rarity in super valu I can tell you ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

xpletiv wrote: »
    Eurospar on Hannover street are ALWAYS doing this as well.
    That's my local shop and it happens a lot less than it used to.

Eurospar Northwood tried to overcharge me twice this week on bottles of wine. Will they ever learn? The Glennon brothers are creaming it there. The last time was this evening with ten people behind me in the queue, which was embarrassing both for me and the employee. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

skimpydoo wrote: »
    That's my local shop and it happens a lot less than it used to.

Nearly every time I go to the till with something on special offer it doesnt scan through. Ive been on to the manager 3 times now about it cause its disgraceful but its still happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

We have a Eurospar in our town, its a disgrace, the amount of times I've been overcharged is a disgrace , I can nearly guarantee you if I went down there right now and bought 10 random products at least 3 would be priced incorrect .

I've told manager loads of times, a couple of months ago I told him I bought a ( 3 for €2 ) offer and got charged 3 times, he laughed at me and said we were just checking to see if you'd notice , ha ha

Well ha ha my friend , as I shop in my local aldi store

We have a Eurospar in our town, its a disgrace, the amount of times I've been overcharged is a disgrace , I can nearly guarantee you if I went down there right now and bought 10 random products at least 3 would be priced incorrect .

I've told manager loads of times, a couple of months ago I told him I bought a ( 3 for €2 ) offer and got charged 3 times, he laughed at me and said we were just checking to see if you'd notice , ha ha

Well ha ha my friend , as I shop in my local aldi store

Aldi/Lidl are great. Can't recall once ever being overcharged for anything. No wonder they are eating up market share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

I noticed overcharging in my local shop but they don't give receipts automatically so you can really question it afterwards and only can question it if you have one or two items at the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

donegal11 wrote: »
    I noticed overcharging in my local shop but they don't give receipts automatically so you can really question it afterwards and only can question it if you have one or two items at the till.

Eurospar on Bath Avenue does the same thing - won't give a receipt unless you specifically ask.
    They also overcharge routinely.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

Newonhere wrote: »
    I stopped using Supervalu in Killester because of exactly this practice, I had shopped there for quite a long time when I happened to get just a couple of items on one visit so I knew how much I expected to pay and when the cashier told me the total it was considerably more (OK only about 1 euro more but as a % of the total that was high) I got it rectified but from then on I kept my eyes open at the till and on EVERY visit then over the next couple of weeks I experienced the same type of discrepancy. Easily solved I voted with my feet and stopped shopping there.

SuperValu Killester will refund you the whole price if the scanned price does not match the shelf price. This happened me recently and I was pleasantly surprised when he handed me €12 back!! I asked and the guy confirmed he checked with manager and their policy is to refund the total amount!!!

gibo_ie wrote: »
    SuperValu Killester will refund you the whole price if the scanned price does not match the shelf price. This happened me recently and I was pleasantly surprised when he handed me €12 back!! I asked and the guy confirmed he checked with manager and their policy is to refund the total amount!!!

Pity not more Super Values do that. One here in Loughboy, Kilkenny would go bankrupt within a month if they were to do the same :D
    Dunno if still happens there, stopped shopping in the place a good few years back after it was happening wholesale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 nissen25

This price difference practice has been going on for ages, I've often asked for a receipt when thing do not seem to add up and always find the manager has to be called. They used to issue receipts as normal practice up to about two years ago; but now you have to ask for one. I thought by law that any goods you purchased should be accompanied by a receipt. Also keep a close eye on thé sell by date on the goods there; especially the meats section. Your right to be aware!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭technocrat

Having boycotted shopping here for the last few years I was passing earlier today and decided pop in and grab the newspaper.
    On my way to the till seen pouch bag of minstrels on special offer at €2.
    Picked up a bag and when at till noticed the total was more than I expected so asked how much the minstrels were - €3.29 I was told!
    Having pointed out the wrong price the assistant corrected this.
    I am just staggered first time I am back in 4yrs and overcharged again it's like I never been away!
    How do they get away this? The shop is always busy do most people not check or just think the mistake is genuine..

It's blatant overcharging as the till display facing the customer isn't switched on and they don't give receipts.

I am going to contact the Spar head office tomorrow and hear what they have to say.

I haven't been there since my last post on the subject. Things haven't changed then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just came across this thread, funnily enough I got overcharged there too about six months back. I've also been overcharged in the Eurospar in Meakstown, Finglas a couple of times too and am wondering is it the same owners as the branch a couple of miles away in Northwood ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

the Eurospar in Passage West (Cork) also often overcharge. I am so used to it now that I remember the prices on stuff and then check the receipt before I leave the store.
    It is almost guaranteed to happen on 'special offers'. For example I saw an offer for 6 cans of lager for €9 but I didn't want 6, I brought 4 to the counter and was charged €10.40. I reminded the cashier of the offer, we laughed, I added two more cans and received money back from her...madness.

I have also seen it at the confectionery section, they may have an offers section with two bars for €1 but when you bring the chocs to the counter you are charged about €1.10 each for them.

I don't bother saying it to the manager anymore (mainly because I can't find him/her) so I just keep an eye on the receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

If one amount is on offer and you buy a different amount and are charged a different amount for them, then how is that overcharging?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭PapaBooje

Same dodgy practices in Eurospar in Newmarket-on-Fergus. I recently moved in the area and 3 of 4 times I got overcharged. Definitely not a coincidence. I drive 10k to Lidl or Dunnes now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

I too was overcharged in the Eurospar in Northwood, nothing major but it's the principle, bought a bottle of Lucozade 500ml which was clearly marked as being €1.50 and they tried to charge me €2.10 I said no its marked as €1.50 and eventually that's what I was charged but from reading on here I can't believe they've been consistently doing this year's and something does indeed need to be done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Lucozade 500ml which was clearly marked as being €1.50 and they tried to charge me €2.10 I said no its marked as €1.50
    Are you saying the shelf label said 1.50, or just a notice on the bottle label. A price on the bottle is just an RRP and they are not obliged to sell for that price. In tesco last night I saw they had covered up the RRP with black tape on a range of items -not that they have to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Lads the Spar in Northwood has already been caught and prosecuted for overcharging customers, as we have seen earlier in the thread. If they are still at it then please report them again, hopefully the fines get bigger with each offense because clearly the last prosecution failed to focus their minds.

Advertisement