Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Heritage] Foyle Valley Railway & the UK's 2013 Capital of Culture

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Cyberbeagle

From what I recall that footpath was the main killer of the scheme. Not helping the relationship between the Council and the Society.

No-one I know can figure out for the life of me why the footpath got the go ahead without a fence between the railway and it being built. Certainly at planning stage this should've been worked out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

That picture is quite unbelieveable - it's like the T&D at the time of closure. Only in Ireland and proof that Derry should have been included in the Republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭The Idyll Race

That picture is quite unbelieveable - it's like the T&D at the time of closure. Only in Ireland and proof that Derry should have been included in the Republic.

That track is less than twenty years old! So much for the SDLP-Sinn Fein dominated Derry City Council doing anything positive for the old GNR line..

Tralee & Dingle near Camp in 1953.

scan03.jpg

Only in Ireland and proof that Derry should have been included in the Republic.

Or that (much of) Donegal should've been included in NI as per the Boundary Commission's recommendations?? ;):p

Not entirely too sure how the state of the FVR demonstrates "the inherent unfairness of partition"... ;) That the closure of the FVR is somehow the Brits fault is a new one on me... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Or that (much of) Donegal should've been included in NI as per the Boundary Commission's recommendations?? ;):p

Not entirely too sure how the state of the FVR demonstrates "the inherent unfairness of partition"... ;) That the closure of the FVR is somehow the Brits fault is a new one on me... ;)

I think JD may be trying to liken the current state of the FVR to preservation movements in the Republic that bit the dust over the years. I'll wager for every Severn Valley or NYMR success story there are 100's maybe 1000's of moribund projects in the uk.

I think JD may be trying to liken the current state of the FVR to preservation movements in the Republic that bit the dust over the years. I'll wager for every Severn Valley or NYMR success story there are 100's maybe 1000's of moribund projects in the uk.

Ah! If that was the case the irony went straight over my head!!

The scandal about the FVR closure is that it appears to be due to politics rather than financial.

The trouble with leaving it so long is that it means that the track has deteriorated. Personally I get the feeling Derry City Council don't really know what to do with it.

I never got to travel on it. I went up on what turned out to be the last day, the NIR train was delayed and I crossed the Craigavon Bridge to see the last railcar of the day disappearing round the corner! :(

+1

I meant that Derry City Council and others by their actions/inactions re.the Foyle Valley Railway have shown characteristics more typical of local authorities etc. in the Republic and as such would more at home on this side of the border.

Incidentally, I wouldn't agree with your analysis of preservation in Britain, and as far as I know there have been relatively few completely abortive schemes. Some high profile failures such as the Waverley route preservation scheme but more often than not, a disagreement on a railway preservation project's direction in Britain usually leads to two projects where there was originally only one. Here failure has had disastrous results...Tralee/Fenit; Tralee/Blennerville; WISRA (Attymon/Loughrea) and as WESTRAIL (Tuam) and not forgetting Dromod. :rolleyes:

Advertisement