Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Heritage] Foyle Valley Railway & the UK's 2013 Capital of Culture

Options
  • 16-07-2010 8:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

3347136458_47ede76566.jpg

With the designation of Derry as the UK's 'Capital of Culture' for 2013 one wonders if this could be the saving of the defunct Foyle Valley Railway Museum? The project which has been effectively closed down for the last ten years has the potential to be one of the biggest tourist attractions on the island of Ireland. It occupies a unique position amongst preserved railways in the British Isles, and probably Western Europe, in that its terminus is in the city centre of a major city. This is something for which most preservation projects would kill. All those in Derry/L'derry need their collective heads banging together to put this project back centre stage where it properly belongs.

I would like to suggest that those interested in the project should contact Derry City Council in the first instance and ask them what their intentions are - I will be later today.

Derry City Council,
    98 Strand Road,
    Derry,
    BT48 7NN
    Tel: (028) 7136 5151
    Fax: (028) 7126 4858
    Email: info@derrycity.gov.uk

The Lord Mayor of Derry is SDLP councillor Colum Eastwood and his contact details are here:

Councillor Colum Eastwood
    Email columeastwood@yahoo.co.uk

Press Office
    Tel 028 90 42 1837

Please don't leave it to somebody else! :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jul/15/derry-capital-of-culture-2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

Interesting, the city centre presence would indeed be a major plus point as you point out.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

of course if they want advice on how to amass historic rail vehicles for preservation, neglect them until most of them are scrapped, Derry council could do worse than contact an ex member of the GSRPS; proprietors of Mallow scrapyard and Fenit branch "restoration" - black hole for public money

do the words
    pot
    kettle and

black mean anything to you judgement day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

eejoynt wrote: »
    of course if they want advice on how to amass historic rail vehicles for preservation, neglect them until most of them are scrapped, Derry council could do worse than contact an ex member of the GSRPS; proprietors of Mallow scrapyard and Fenit branch "restoration" - black hole for public money

do the words
    pot
    kettle and

black mean anything to you judgement day?

Why don't you enlighten us with your great inside knowledge of GSRPS operations (preferably in a new thread) and own contribution to preservation instead of trolling in this thread? I suppose we can take it that you won't be bothering to contact Derry City Council - there again with your attitude it is probably better that you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 orangetrain

I thought the trains from Derry were gone to Fintown Donegal now? I saw something about them getting a Donegal tank engine restored at the RPSI works.

By the way what is GSRPS?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

By the way what is GSRPS?
    Judean Peoples Front of .... Great Southern Railway Preservation Society.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 orangetrain

Victor wrote: »
    Judean Peoples Front of .... Great Southern Railway Preservation Society.

Thanks, I suppose it looks obvious now :o . Where is the group based, there not mentioned in any heritage site lists I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Thanks, I suppose it looks obvious now :o . Where is the group based, there not mentioned in any heritage site lists I have.

They went bust after some "management" issues. JD will fill you in on his side of it, I'm sure but you'll find you will need some salt for the auld pinching :)

I will be charitable and assume that you are not a stalker. The GSRPS ceased to function in late 1989/90. The GSPRS Co.Limited was dissolved in the 1990's - I will post the date later and the GSRP Society technically still exists as it as never been officially wound-up. Perhaps if I have the energy I will post a thread on it later with a once-off definitive statement. Now back to Derry - please! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 acknefton

this stuff goes over the heds of most of us

what did GSRPS have? was it all scrapped?

what happened with the fenit branch?

No, just accute boredom with your behaviour and repeatedly dragging my threads off topic.

I didn't say anything except to comment on a post here. That paranoia gets worse with you for some mad reason;)

Back on thread, Foyle Valley has been closed some time now but there is long term plans to reopen it.

• Advertisement

Hamndegger wrote: »
    They went bust after some "management" issues. JD will fill you in on his side of it, I'm sure but you'll find you will need some salt for the auld pinching :)

There you go again - they went bust - the GSRPS never went bust so where did you get that from? There was a bust-up between working members due to differing ideas of what direction the GSRPS should take. The Tralee/Fenit branch was never a popular choice with most members and was foisted on the society by CIE from the outset. I will leave any further info for my GSRPS thread - if I can be bothered. Life really is too short and as the person who lost most financially over the GSRPS project - if I can move on why can't others.

There you go again - they went bust - the GSRPS never went bust so where did you get that from? There was a bust-up between working members due to differing ideas of what direction the GSRPS should take. The Tralee/Fenit branch was never a popular choice with most members and was foisted on the society by CIE from the outset. I will leave any further info for my GSRPS thread - if I can be bothered. Life really is too short and as the person who lost most financially over the GSRPS project - if I can move on why can't others.

That's what I was told by some guy I know who was a high up RPSI member but I notice that CIE now get the blame instead of GSRPS memberships. I wonder why's that:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Guys knock it off. If you have a problem with Judgement Day, either say it out properly or take it private, none of this innuendo.

And lets try to stay on topic.

As i understand it there was a row between the preservationists and the council. It was grounded I think in Northern politics.

The council as i understand it told the preservationists to take a hike - which they did to Baile na Finne.

tugadh deontaisi dóibh ó chisti Udarás na Gaeltachta, agus déirigh thar barr leis an pairtnéaracht nua- bhi an iarnrod caomhnaithe ar lag trá faoin am seo.

fuair an cáin iocaitheoir luach maith ón fiontair seo

eejoynt - I am sure that I am not alone in not understanding the last part of your post - would you care to translate for some of us who don't have any Irish?

May i recommend Google translate
    hint value for taxpayers money is mentioned

BTW thank you for that comprehensive post on the GSRPS. There may be other sides of the story which other posters may address, if they wish but you have taken the time and trouble to set out your stall.

As you say JD at least you tried, but given the comprehensive nature of the failure of the veinture and the large amount of public money wasted, some posters might view your posts on transport and railway operation as just a little bit rich.

Thanks again for the post - when can we expect

Judgement Day two - the Cavan and Leitrim years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Propellerhead

May i recommend Google translate
    hint value for taxpayers money is mentioned

BTW thank you for that comprehensive post on the GSRPS. There may be other sides of the story which other posters may address, if they wish but you have taken the time and trouble to set out your stall.

As you say JD at least you tried, but given the comprehensive nature of the failure of the veinture and the large amount of public money wasted, some posters might view your posts on transport and railway operation as just a little bit rich.

Thanks again for the post - when can we expect

Judgement Day two - the Cavan and Leitrim years?

I'm hearing bitchiness and exclusivity. Why would I as someone interested in railways even remotely want to get involved in something like that? I spent eleven miserable years in Irish politics but this hints of something even worse.

Anyway here we are again - I emailed Derry City Council, the new Lord Mayor and the CEO of the Northern Ireland Tourist Board on the 20/7/10 as promised and apart from an out of office reply (which I responded to) I have heard nothing - there's a surprise. I emailed all three again today and a further weeks grace will be given before doing a round of the media as well. As somebody on another forum so quaintly put it 'spamming'! But it does work as you only have to hit one person who reacts in the right way to start the ball rolling. What the buffoon in the other forum failed to see is that this is the way to use the power of the internet to its maximum and only a fool would ignore such a tool. When I first use to campaign about things it was using a manual typewriter, a gestetner machine, envelopes, stamps and an inordinate delay while thing passed to and fro in the post. And you tell young people today and they don't believe you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

I visited the FVR way back in the 90s and took a ride on the railcar (I think it was CDR #12 at the time), happened to be going through Fintown the other week and I noticed that FVR owned CDR #18 was running on loan there since the museum in Derry had closed.

The FVR, Cumann Treanach and CDRRS are 3, THREE organisations preserving old CDR stock/track (and that's not even counting the transport museum in Ulster and the Isle of Man railway). It's tempting to say they should all get together and form one organisation to do it all but I'd say that's almost certainly impossible.

Sadly the two CDR railcars (Nos.19 & 20) on the Isle of Man are, at best, half restored. Since the money ran out for their completion some years ago they have lain down the back of the workshops at Douglas. They were dragged out for a Manx Transport festival during June this year. :(

TH0_307201059jm100726%20(63).JPG

• Advertisement

tell us a bit a bout your time in the isle of man
    was it as crowned with success as the GSRPS,
    and was it before or after your period at dromod?

tell us a bit a bout your time in the isle of man
    was it as crowned with success as the GSRPS,
    and was it before or after your period at dromod?

Can't you go away and find yourself a proper hobby like pulling the wings off flies because you're not much good at baiting people?

Another week on and no replies from anybody. I've just emailed them all again (the 3rd time) and this day next week I will pursue them through the local media if I haven't heard back by then. Is it any wonder that the country is banjoed when people can't even find the time to answer their emails? Perhaps they are all too busy, working hard to help the recovery effort. :rolleyes:

At last some feedback.

If anybody has suggestions they might like to contact Roisin Doherty see below:

Dear

Thank you for your query regarding the Foyle Valley Railway. It has been passed to me today for attention. I can provide you with an update regarding the above:
    Derry City Council Heritage and Museum Service and Economic Development Section appointed a team of consultants to undertake research into the potential for an expanded museum development at the current Foyle Valley Railway Museum site. This piece of work was to examine the potential of the FVR existing site but also the wider hinterland as well.
    The invitation document brief emphasized the following points:
    “The Foyle Valley Railway presents an outstanding opportunity for a high profile, family friendly visitor attraction development. The current museum is a well known local attraction. It has a strong following, with community appeal. It has always been attractive to families – particularly with small children. Development of the site will help improve the heritage product in the City thus enhancing the tourism infrastructure and enabling the city to develop a reputation as a centre of excellence for arts, culture and heritage. The strong local relevance of the site and of the histories will strengthen the community and educational opportunities for local people. It will also strengthen the City’s bid for Cultural World Heritage status and for UK City of Culture 2013.”
    We welcome your ideas and suggestions regarding the Foyle Valley Railway Museum and will take them into consideration when working with the team of consultants in finalizing the document. Once we have the final feasibility document with a list of proposed options/recommendations we can then look at potential funding sources.
    Once again - thank you for your interest and If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.
    Regards,
    Roisin Doherty
    Head of Heritage & Museum Service
    Derry City Council
    Harbour Museum
    Harbour Square
    Derry BT48 6AF
    Tel: 048 7137 7331
    E-mail: roisin.doherty@derrycity.gov.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

that's just the usual "hire consultants, washes hands" email.

Some more positive than most though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭The Idyll Race

At last some feedback.

If anybody has suggestions they might like to contact Roisin Doherty see below:

Dear

Thank you for your query regarding the Foyle Valley Railway. It has been passed to me today for attention. I can provide you with an update regarding the above:
    Derry City Council Heritage and Museum Service and Economic Development Section appointed a team of consultants to undertake research into the potential for an expanded museum development at the current Foyle Valley Railway Museum site. This piece of work was to examine the potential of the FVR existing site but also the wider hinterland as well.
    The invitation document brief emphasized the following points:
    “The Foyle Valley Railway presents an outstanding opportunity for a high profile, family friendly visitor attraction development. The current museum is a well known local attraction. It has a strong following, with community appeal. It has always been attractive to families – particularly with small children. Development of the site will help improve the heritage product in the City thus enhancing the tourism infrastructure and enabling the city to develop a reputation as a centre of excellence for arts, culture and heritage. The strong local relevance of the site and of the histories will strengthen the community and educational opportunities for local people. It will also strengthen the City’s bid for Cultural World Heritage status and for UK City of Culture 2013.”
    We welcome your ideas and suggestions regarding the Foyle Valley Railway Museum and will take them into consideration when working with the team of consultants in finalizing the document. Once we have the final feasibility document with a list of proposed options/recommendations we can then look at potential funding sources.
    Once again - thank you for your interest and If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.
    Regards,
    Roisin Doherty
    Head of Heritage & Museum Service
    Derry City Council
    Harbour Museum
    Harbour Square
    Derry BT48 6AF
    Tel: 048 7137 7331
    E-mail: roisin.doherty@derrycity.gov.uk

For the first time in at least five years I got into the Foyle Valley Railway museum yesterday, and I am regularly in Derry and NE Donegal.

One of the CDR railcars is there, clean as a whistle with a little tractor unit behind it. While the exhibits inside look well, the same cannot be said for the track outside, which is in the advanced state of neglect we associate with "care and maintenance". The loco outside is behind eight foot high wire mesh and the driving cab is covered with metal panels to prevent the usual vandalism.

IMHO the track will all have to be ripped up and relaid. There are plenty of burned, rotting sleepers and weed overgrowth, along with paths overlaying the running line. If Derry City Council were in anyway serious about having the 3' track back in operation for the City of Culture there is damn-all evidence of it, especially when you see workers powering on over on the other side of the Foyle at the Waterside station for an April 2013 deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

For the first time in at least five years I got into the Foyle Valley Railway museum yesterday, and I am regularly in Derry and NE Donegal.

One of the CDR railcars is there, clean as a whistle with a little tractor unit behind it. While the exhibits inside look well, the same cannot be said for the track outside, which is in the advanced state of neglect we associate with "care and maintenance". The loco outside is behind eight foot high wire mesh and the driving cab is covered with metal panels to prevent the usual vandalism.

IMHO the track will all have to be ripped up and relaid. There are plenty of burned, rotting sleepers and weed overgrowth, along with paths overlaying the running line. If Derry City Council were in anyway serious about having the 3' track back in operation for the City of Culture there is damn-all evidence of it, especially when you see workers powering on over on the other side of the Foyle at the Waterside station for an April 2013 deadline.

Perchance, did you take any photos? Also, was the museum open to the public or was this arranged privately?

Perchance, did you take any photos? Also, was the museum open to the public or was this arranged privately?

I have plenty of photos, need to get them off the camera first. It was a pure fluke, I had been at the Waterside station and saw the shutters open on the FVR when I was on the Craigavon Bridge.

I only have steam powered Midband up here, proving too slow to upload pics yet, if I get a faster connection later or tomorrow morning I'll upload a couple.

• Advertisement

Right! Got the first one up:

292948_271565609626550_593196265_n.jpg

Advertisement