Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile phone danger: Children told to 'text not call'

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

We have to use a degree of common sense here. We know mobile phones emit a degree radiation, we know radiation is bad for humans generally. Is putting something that emits radiation to a child's head good or bad for the child ?

Radiation is a physics term that simple describes a process for transferring energy. When we talk about radiation being dangerous we are talking specifically about ionising radiation which is radiation with a wavelength below about 10nm, mobile phones have wavelengths in the cm range.

emr.jpg

Some information from the American Cancer Society on 'Cellular Phones'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Research shows that having a mobile phone for at least four years doubles the odds of developing the condition tinnitus

And this research was caried out on adults. :eek:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1296084/The-price-making-Mobile-phone-link-torment-incurable-ear-disorder-tinnitus.html

so will you stop using your mobile?????

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Research shows that having a mobile phone for at least four years doubles the odds of developing the condition tinnitus

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1296084/The-price-making-Mobile-phone-link-torment-incurable-ear-disorder-tinnitus.html

The news article you link to doesn't make the claim that you are trying to support with it.

It says that the research suggests that using a mobile phone could be linked to an increased likelihood of tinnitus.

Lets not worry about nuance or accuracy, though, eh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

bonkey wrote: »
    The news article you link to doesn't make the claim that you are trying to support with it.

It says that the research suggests that using a mobile phone could be linked to an increased likelihood of tinnitus.

Lets not worry about nuance or accuracy, though, eh?

Not to be pedantic, but the Daily Fail can hardly be described as a 'news article' :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Maybe thats why i get pains behind my ears.I suffer bad tinnitus(both ears the same) and get pains using mobiles while others appear not to be effected even by the same phone.I cant think of any other difference between me and others that have used the exact same phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Torakx wrote: »
    Ok thats actually funny...because i suffer with very bad tinnitus O.o But to be very honest i believe i got it from my old job.Still funny coincedance! Tinnitus is also the reason i stay up to crazy hours like now and sometimes sleep only every 2 days.

I have Tinnitus as well, mild by your description and the consultant suggested using a radio and an ear piece. I could take that a stage further and use a scanner tuned to a near enough frequency ~

Th object of the exercise is to 'balance out' the radio interference like noise, so ergo, talking on the phone might even have therapeutic effects ~ but I think that only applies to VHF/UHF radio and not the microwave wavelength that mobile phones use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

yekahs wrote: »
    Not to be pedantic, but the Daily Fail can hardly be described as a 'news article' :P

why?

Tinnitus is a condition whereby the inner ear does not stop vibrating resulting in buzzing or radio interference sound to violent ringing and thumping in the effected ear or ears.

Loud bangs and music are long suspected suspects, in my case I was a competition army bren gun shooter and whilst ear protection was supplied to the competitors, I never used it.

I was also blown up in an industrial accident and thrown several feet across a yard ~

So I've a good excuse for having tinnitus. Mine is of the mild variety. Can't say what relevance this is to the article linked above, I throw it in for what it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

robtri wrote: »
    why?

Suffice it to say that their integrity as a source of well-researched healthcare information - as opposed to, say, hysterical and often contradictory fear-mongering - is suspect, at least.

http://thedailymailoncologicalontologyproject.wordpress.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

The daily mail isn't exactly a fountain of knowledge.

I think some people need to upgrade their bull**** detectors.

• Advertisement

emr.jpg

Some information from the American Cancer Society on 'Cellular Phones'

In this diagram mobile phone reside between 'radio' and 'Microwave' operating on the 900+Mhz. Radio in the microwave spectrum are radio telescopes. Broadcast radio resides in between 80+ & 105+ Mhz range [roughly]. Microwave Oven would be in the 2.4Ghz frequency range.

In Europe anything above 1GHz is 'microwave' in the USA anything above 300MHz is considered to be entering the 'Microwave' spectrum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

robtri wrote: »
    why?

What Jill Valentine said, it was a joke.

Here's another funny link. Its a list of all the things that give you cancer according to the Mail.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=269512464297

It includes among other things; Babies, being skinny, broken hearts, candle-lit dinners, Curry, Dieting, Internet, Money....

Then there's also the list of things that prevent cancer...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

It's pretty much the same list with the heading changed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Let's finish this.

Read the first paragraph
    A large body of research exists, both epidemiological and experimental, in non-human animals and in humans, that shows overall no evidence for harmful effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Another one from David Dee. :)

se90dt.jpg

Wow,this guy seems good at scaring people into believing him.

Advertisement