Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile phone danger: Children told to 'text not call'

Options
  • 15-07-2010 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

This subject seems to pop its head up once in a while in the media and the subject then disappears just as quickly again.

I always have my concerns with these devices particularly with kids that avail with these packages offereing "free" and "unlimited" top up packages.

cellt_dees.jpg

Dr Tony Jewell, the chief medical officer for Wales, said: "It is always better to be safe than sorry.

Leaflets are to be handed out to school children warning them of the dangers of exxessive mobile phone useage. Rightly so, we don't know the long term effects of excessive useage.

If a mobile phone mast was to be erected 100 yards from a primary school there would be a national outcry. Concerned parents would be marching outside their local TD office. however the very same people wouldn't think twice of getting their young Johnny a mobile phone for his birthday and topping it up by €20 a month so he can make unlimited free calls to his friends.

Kids are destructive, phones get dropped, covers get smashed, abused etc leaving harmful radiation to be exposed to fry their brains.

Like Oil companies, the Mobile Operators Association which represents O2, Orange, Three, T-Mobile and Vodafone - stressed that there was no evidence of health risks. What would one expect from them This would be like BP trying to assure us all that the Guld Oil slick is harmless. :rolleyes:

Further reading:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/mobile-phones/7891477/Children-told-to-text-not-call.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

A few years ago for the Nokia and other phone one could buy a radiation shield, a little sticker type thing to go over the earpiece.

Motorola, angled their phone and stuck to an extruding antenna to help keep radiation away from the brain ~ tumors in the brain have already occurred.

Microwave radiation is dangerous, a fact that Irish people seem to have forgotten.

Effects are are a combination of strength [how close the phone is to you or the cell tower to your school];

Length of exposure [time in the danger zone, long phone calls up to your ear; in school 8 hours a day with a powerful transmitter in you school yard]

And frequency of exposure [that is how many times day one is exposed to the radiation]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

gbee wrote: »
    A few years ago for the Nokia and other phone one could buy a radiation shield, a little sticker type thing to go over the earpiece.

Motorola, angled their phone and stuck to an extruding antenna to help keep radiation away from the brain ~ tumors in the brain have already occurred.

Microwave radiation is dangerous, a fact that Irish people seem to have forgotten.

Effects are are a combination of strength [how close the phone is to you or the cell tower to your school];

Length of exposure [time in the danger zone, long phone calls up to your ear; in school 8 hours a day with a powerful transmitter in you school yard]

And frequency of exposure [that is how many times day one is exposed to the radiation]
    The wattage used by the antenna's/mini links is very low(its in microwatts)When we were working on anntenna's they would be tuned off as a safety precaution and were to give 'live ' ones a safety radius of 5 m.

The ones used by RTE for tv transmission are a different kettle of fish and they would literally cook your insides.Had to attend a H&S meeting given by RTE before they would let you work on their masts and some of the photo's they shown were horrific.

Mobile phones have been around for 30 years now and a lot of study(both by independent universities and the providers of the equipment-not vodafone,02,3,meteor but ericsson,nokia,motoraola,siemens and alacatel/nortel) has been put into the effects of microwave technology and as of yet it has not been proved to induce cancer of any form above and beyond the risk you would have normally.

Having said that I spent ten years around anntenna's and apart from my twitches and stuttering I'm fine:D

By all means buy that patch and even go a step further and build a faraday cage.

Have a load of crap on this topic so when I get a chance later/tommorrow will route it out for ye's if anyone is interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Writing in the New York Times, Maureen Dowd wonders if cell phones could be the next cigarettes.

One study that followed people who began using cells as teenagers calculated a 400 percent increase in brain tumors after 10 years.

San Francisco has become the first city in the U.S. to pass legislation making cell phone retailers display radiation levels. The reaction of Big Business has been predictable. According to Dowd:

"CTIA -- The Wireless Association ... issued a petulant statement that after 2010, it would relocate its annual three-day fall exhibition, with 68,000 exhibitors and attendees and '$80 million' in business, away from San Francisco ... So now we have Exhibit No. 1,085 illustrating the brazenness of Big Business."

Dowd proposes that they should be sending Gavin Newsom, San Francisco's Mayor, a bottle of good California wine instead, for caring about whether kids' brains get fried

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/27/opinion/27dowd.html?_r=1&ref=opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

One study that followed people who began using cells as teenagers calculated a 400 percent increase in brain tumors after 10 years.

Which study was that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭TalkieWalkie

That's gotta be one of Ickes pics lol ;)

cellt_dees.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Since when have mobile phone starting stripping the flesh from children's heads?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Is there any actual evidence for this?

Is there any actual evidence for this?

Didn't you see the picture ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

I always have my concerns with these devices particularly with kids that avail with these packages offereing "free" and "unlimited" top up packages.

Question: do you have a mobile ? do you use it.....
    IIRC you aid before you use a mobile broad band.. to connect to interent...

robtri wrote: »
    Question: do you have a mobile ? do you use it.....
    IIRC you aid before you use a mobile broad band.. to connect to interent...
    Yes I do have a mobile, and I am an adult.

Childerns skulls are soft, not fully developed making them more exposed to harmful radiation entering the brain.

• Advertisement

Yes I do have a mobile, and I am an adult.

Childerns skulls are soft, not fully developed making them more exposed to harmful radiation entering the brain.

But would radiation not be just as harmful to you.... soft skull or hard skull it is little protection against this radiation you warn off..

seems very hypocritical to me

But would radiation not be just as harmful to you.... soft skull or hard skull it is little protection against this radiation you warn off..

seems very hypocritical to me

Put it another way, a child gets bidden by a poisonous snake or spider he / she has a greater chance of dying than an adult because their tissues have less resistance. .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

This has been raised before, and as I think I mentioned before, we don't have the foggiest idea what the long term affects to the human body are from a technology thats only a couple of decades old.
    I'm sure in years to come we'll have all the answers regarding the safety of mobile phones. I for one would probably be on the side that says kids shouldn't be exposed to that radiation, or any radiation, at least we adults can make up our own minds in a somewhat informed way about using mobiles. Allowing kids to use them when there's a chance they're dangerous to their health could be seen as neglegence, but that's just one way to look at this topic.
    It's hiilarious how the battle lines are always drawn on this forum before anyone thinks about the topic. Certians parties are always at loggerheads or abusing each others views, it a bit fvcking pathetic really.

Glazers Out!

Put it another way, a child gets bidden by a poisonous snake or spider he / she has a greater chance of dying than an adult because their tissues have less resistance. .

thats the dumbest argument i have heard in regards to why kids shouldnt have phones...

thats the dumbest argument i have heard in regards to why kids shouldnt have phones...

Bottom line, kids have less resistance than adults.

Would you give your 7 year old child a mobile phone for his birthday along with e20 credit enabeling him a months unlimited time to chat with all his mates on the same network?

I certainly wouldn't.

Bottom line, kids have less resistance than adults.

Would you give your 7 year old child a mobile phone for his birthday along with e20 credit enabeling him a months unlimited time to chat with all his mates on the same network?

I certainly wouldn't.

nope i certainly wouldnt either, but not for radiation reasons...

security and predators would be main reasons...

nope i certainly wouldnt either, but not for radiation reasons...

security and predators would be main reasons...
    Another reason why I wouldn't either and particularly when kids wouldn't think twice of giving their numbers out over the likes of Facebook etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Id actually let my kids if i had any have a mobile for safety reasons(security can be tracked etc) if there ever was a reason.
    But again this is counteracted by the possible dangerous off mobiles.
    Most phones(i mean mobiles only) give me severe pains in the sides of my head and ears when i talk on them for more than a minute or 2.
    This is without touching the phone to my ear i hold it far away as possible.
    There are only two explanations for this.The mobile phone is causing pain in my head or i am imagining it every time.Either is possible but tbh i think the former is most likely the case.After that i have to consider if that pain means im being damaged or not and i dont know the answer but aint gonna keep doing it to find out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

While I don't really think young kids having phones are a good idea at all I think one point needs to be paid.

For the most part these children are texting and not calling. Texting is the 'cool' thing to do so really we should be more worried about the state of their hands in years to come as opposed to radiation that we still have no proper indication of whether it does or does effect us.

Another one from David Dee. :)

se90dt.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Torakx wrote: »
    This is without touching the phone to my ear i hold it far away as possible.
    There are only two explanations for this.The mobile phone is causing pain in my head or i am imagining it every time.Either is possible but tbh i think the former is most likely the case.After that i have to consider if that pain means im being damaged or not and i dont know the answer but aint gonna keep doing it to find out.
    Do you stay at home 24/7? Have you ever gotten a train or bus? Most likely, the person next to you has had a mobile on them, and have talked to it. If so, the pains are either your imagination, or something is wrong with your phone.

the_syco wrote: »
    Do you stay at home 24/7? Have you ever gotten a train or bus? Most likely, the person next to you has had a mobile on them, and have talked to it. If so, the pains are either your imagination, or something is wrong with your phone.

Its happened with a few mobiles but only when i hold them about 1' away from my head any further and i cant hear so a handsfree might help but i dont use my phone much anyway.What would happen is id hold it about 6 inches away from my ear so ican just about hear,then after about a min or two it wouldstart to get really sore behind my ear so i switch it to the other side and then that side gets sore.After 4 mins or more im trying to hang up the phone because bothsides hurt like hell lol
    Dont use buses or trains either but even if i did and have before, a person on a mobile would not have it so close as 1 foot to my head.
    Also holding it to my head without anyone calling me doesnt cause any pain...just testing that now as i write :)
    Seems its when a call is being made that it happens.Im not saying its radiation or whatever im just saying that is what happens to me.People can read into that how they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Awesome phone zombie children paintings aside, I've yet to see anything at all substantial that points to any danger in either short or long term. I'd be much happier knowing my kid had a means of communication for emergencies, tbh, to an extent that far outweighs the hazy mythological scaremongering out there.

Awesome phone zombie children paintings aside, I've yet to see anything at all substantial that points to any danger in either short or long term. I'd be much happier knowing my kid had a means of communication for emergencies, tbh, to an extent that far outweighs the hazy mythological scaremongering out there.

We have to use a degree of common sense here. We know mobile phones emit a degree radiation, we know radiation is bad for humans generally. Is putting something that emits radiation to a child's head good or bad for the child ?
    Do you really need to see proof or documented evidence to tell you how to think ? How could you trust a study on this when there is so much money at stake for many corporations.
    And how would they test it anyway ? Stick a phone to a child's head for 5 years and ring it repeatedly, then test the brain ?. I imagine the brain would be fried within weeks or months.
    This is very reminiscent of the smoking/cancer situation. Smokes were reported as safe back in the day but you only have to use a bit of the old COP-ON to know better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

yawnnnnnnnn do we have to listen to all this again cell phones are here to stay my brain is cooking...:eek::eek::eek:

yawnnnnnnnn do we have to listen to all this again cell phones are here to stay my brain is cooking...:eek::eek::eek:

No, you don't have to listen to it, you just carry on "living your life in full" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭kirving

I'm aware that this thread is in the CT forum, but I wish people would actually look at the science behind it carefully before suggesting that we'll be fried by evil mobile 'radiation'.

I looked at the figures a good while back, and in general, more modern phones do have lower power output antenna's. Which I suppose can only be a good thing.

What kind of power is required to transmit High Def. television over the air?

How well does your microwave door seal protect you?

300mbps wifi?

See where I'm coming from?

Totally agree with you.The tv should be well away from where you are sitting its in most cases a cathode ray blasting radiation across the room ^^
    I wouldnt go near a microwave unless i was really stuck and wifi im using and would love to upgrade to wire, server is other side of my apartment :(

Research shows that having a mobile phone for at least four years doubles the odds of developing the condition tinnitus

And this research was caried out on adults. :eek:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1296084/The-price-making-Mobile-phone-link-torment-incurable-ear-disorder-tinnitus.html

• Advertisement

Research shows that having a mobile phone for at least four years doubles the odds of developing the condition tinnitus

And this research was caried out on adults. :eek:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1296084/The-price-making-Mobile-phone-link-torment-incurable-ear-disorder-tinnitus.html

Ok thats actually funny...because i suffer with very bad tinnitus O.o
    But to be very honest i believe i got it from my old job.Still funny coincedance!
    Tinnitus is also the reason i stay up to crazy hours like now and sometimes sleep only every 2 days.

Advertisement