Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Trip (Steve Coogan's new comedy show)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What did everyone else think of this? It was a bit repetitive but funny all the same. How much, if any of it was real? Where those Coogan's parents and was that Brydon's wife for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,853 ✭✭✭✭Basq

What did everyone else think of this? It was a bit repetitive but funny all the same.
    It was OK.. very funny at times, far too repetitive at others.

The impressions were great for the first episode, but didn't realise they same impressions of Al Pacino and Anthony Hopkins (etc) would be consistently drummed out.
    How much, if any of it was real? Where those Coogan's parents and was that Brydon's wife for example?
    Brydon tweeted recently that all relations were actors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is it over? Missed Mondays but I think its repeated Sunday.

Just caught the last one, have to say Coogan has gone up in my estimation. He should try more "naturalistic" acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Back later this year - this time they are dining their way around Italy.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jordanzakarin/the-trip-to-italy-michael-caine-impressions-steve-coogan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

For me, this was one of the stand-out British shows of the last decade. Okay, I only said "decade" because it's a significant time period... One of the best British shows I can remember! I hope there's been some proper character development.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Great to see it back.

This preview clip would suggest it's going to be more of the same, but that's not a bad thing ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Skid X wrote: »
    Great to see it back.

This preview clip would suggest it's going to be more of the same, but that's not a bad thing ...

Great stuff.
    Ridiculous but great stuff.

This is one of the Deleted Scenes from the DVD, which was left out of the first Series (Probably because it goes on for ages), but it's very funny

The Trip to Italy starts next Friday, April 4th 10pm, BBC 2/HD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Skid X wrote: »
    This is one of the Deleted Scenes from the DVD, which was left out of the first Series (Probably because it goes on for ages), but it's very funny

Have just watched that deleted scene, now I'm finishing everyone else's sentences (in my head but chuckling out loud) ....... With Trevor Eve, Friday at Nine, on BBC1

evilivor wrote: »
    The Trip to Italy starts (today), April 4th 10pm, BBC 2/HD.

Bump!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,156 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a hard life isn't it: driving around Italy with a close friend, dining at fantastic restaurants as you cross the country, and all for a fake newspaper column. It's a good job all that humour's in there, otherwise I'd be seething with jealousy!

Very entertaining, delicious-looking meals and beautiful scenery; though with only a spotty memory of the previous series, it feels like Coogan & Brydon's pretend rivalry has cooled a little. They seemed chummier and friendlier than I recall the last time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,853 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Completely forgot about this.. flight tomorrow to Holland so going on the Kindle Fire for the flight.

Looking forward to it!

This is my response after one episode:
    Considering the last time we saw them was an awkward and unfriendly parting, it's unclear why Coogan went on the Trip, and the reluctance he showed in the opening scene seems to have completely gone; I remember the Lake District getting a much greater showing - we really only got proper Italian scenery during the final scene; Coogan is much more amiable, laughing and collaborating more with the jokes; that has, IMO, taken away one of the aspects of the comedy - there's no irritation; Rob Brydon has objectively funnier lines (ie were you to read them, not that the situation is necessarily funnier in comparison) and is less one-dimensional; I don't recall entirely, but I think there are more continuity errors in this series.

My predictions: Coogan will become uncomfortable with no longer being in-charge (i.e. no longer the reviewer); both his failing career and son will play a significant part; at some point, they will have a falling out!

A welcome return, esp the riffing about age and Alanis Morrisette. The Rob Brydon interrogation of Steve Coogan was well sustained "improv"

I enjoyed that, straight down to business with no needless messing around with the backstory.

It's good to have them back, some nice dialogue and lots more to come, hopefully.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,156 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

They have definitely toned down the antagonism between Coogan and Brydon; their banter's much friendlier, and they seem like they're enjoying each others company this time around. There's still a little bit of needle here and there, but it's nothing like the unspoken yet barely-concealed hostility that existed in series 1.

Still a very funny show mind you, and I'd love to know how much of the dialogue is unscripted. Plus, needless to say, the scenery is gorgeous; it's hard to imagine the two leads needed much convincing to do another series :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

1. BBC need to sort out the promos, I completely missed this
    2. They need to sort out repeats or at least open up iplayer to users in Ireland.

****ing bull****

Its much more of a scripted mood piece now I think, maybe that was inevitable. Trying to do the set meal table talk in Italy poses more challenges than England with regard to "riffing" in a loud voice and improv.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Its much more of a scripted mood piece now I think, maybe that was inevitable. Trying to do the set meal table talk in Italy poses more challenges than England with regard to "riffing" in a loud voice and improv.

Why? The restaurants are filled with extras.

I think it would just feel wrong - in England everyone knows who they are. In Italy they don't even if the other (Italian) diners are indeed extras. It would be like burping loudly for would be amusing effect at your prospective in laws during the first meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just my favourite tv program at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I have a feeling that they film most of the scenes in empty restaurants, interspersed with clips of other diners recorded separately. You rarely, if ever, see other diners in the same shot as Coogan or Brydon.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They're fairly glossing over the food to the extent that you feel they should have had a different theme for this series. Also, did that first place serve Brydon a stuffed onion and charge him 75 euros?

Well that was great. I'm so going to Italy on my hols.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭brian_t

The Trip to Spain (ie Series 3 of The Trip) is confirmed ... but it will be broadcast on Sky Atlantic, not the BBC

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/2023/the_trip_to_spain_on_sky_atlantic/

"The channel confirms: "The Trip To Spain sees Steve and Rob's fictionalised characters back on their culinary quest as they head off on a road trip from the North Atlantic to the Mediterranean coast for a fresh helping of gastronomic adventures. Filming later this year, The Trip To Spain is a journey of food, fun and frivolity - and, of course, plenty of impersonations."

The series will once again be overseen by creator/director Michael Winterbottom. Sky Atlantic explain: "Steve and Rob are going to be bringing the laughs while tucking into tasty dishes in six stunning Spanish locales, from Cantabria, to the Basque region, Aragon, Rioja, Castile-La Mancha and Andalusia."

Talking about the news, Steve Coogan says: "Having thought long and hard about yet another sojourn into culinary distractions and middle age, I have reluctantly agreed to Eviva Espana. I have a hole in my diary, there will be free food and accommodation and Rob Brydon is surprisingly good company. I also like Michael.""

Shame to see The Trip following Mid Morning Matters to Sky Atlantic, but at least it's being made.

It's not for everyone, it's a simple idea, but it's damn funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So that'll two men and a dog watching then....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,911 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Trip To Spain starts on Sky Atlantic on the 6th April 2017

Advertisement