Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Question thread for people thinking of going to DKIT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

This is the list for what I assume is my course (since throughout the past 6 months, the letters I have been getting keep changing the name of it, adding or removing words)

5 groups for it?

No idea what one I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Ask at the reception of the computing area, it will be posted up on a wall board somewhere there as well as to which group your in.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Thanks but how can I find out from home? Phone them I take it. Dont happen to know a name or number off hand?

KoKane wrote: »
    Thanks but how can I find out from home? Phone them I take it. Dont happen to know a name or number off hand?

http://ww2.dkit.ie/schools_and_departments/imcm

042 9370280

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Zil2011

Hi, I know this thread is a year old, but I was just looking for some advice if you can help? My son will be 17 next May, doing Leaving Cert in June 2012. He was hoping to do games programming in college (now whether this is a genuine interest or a hope that he is going to be sitting on the ps3 all day, I'm not too sure!) Anyway, he has been looking up courses and reckons Carlow is the best option. We live in Louth and DKIT would be much more convenient and more affordable. Can anyone tell me if it is the same course or if it would benefit him in anyway? He is doing ordinary level maths and I've tried to explain to him that as far as I know there is a lot of maths involved in studying computers at college. Any and all advice is much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Zil2011 wrote: »
    Hi, I know this thread is a year old, but I was just looking for some advice if you can help? My son will be 17 next May, doing Leaving Cert in June 2012. He was hoping to do games programming in college (now whether this is a genuine interest or a hope that he is going to be sitting on the ps3 all day, I'm not too sure!) Anyway, he has been looking up courses and reckons Carlow is the best option. We live in Louth and DKIT would be much more convenient and more affordable. Can anyone tell me if it is the same course or if it would benefit him in anyway? He is doing ordinary level maths and I've tried to explain to him that as far as I know there is a lot of maths involved in studying computers at college. Any and all advice is much appreciated.

The differences in the courses would be minimal I'd imagine, the course in DKIT is pretty full on and is meant to be one of the toughest courses in the college. It covers all aspects of game design, testing and programming.

As you'd expect with game engines etc... math's plays a big part in the course and is of a very high level. Calculating light, shadows, angles of views etc.. requires a good Mathematical brain, thats not to say that doing ordinary level math's in the leaving means your son wont be able for it.

Very little time is spent actually playing games in any of these course's.

What is attracting your son to Carlow over DKIT may I ask?

Draffodx - thank you for your swift reply!

He says there is a difference in being a games programmer to being a games developer. He reckons Programming is what he would like to do and that the course in dkit is more development motivated? Now, he is only figuring this out by what he can find out on the internet, the career guidance teacher at his school is in my opinion less than useless - she was there when I was at the school and was bad then! I've tried looking it up and the course subjects look similar to me, so I thought I'd ask on here to see if ye had any recommendations/advice.

I don't really understand all the ins and outs with the games, so I've asked him what kind of a job he would expect to get with this college course and he reckons he could get a job with the likes of EA Game developments or the like of that?

Ha, Ardee Community school by any chance? :) Most career guidance teachers are useless anyway. I think the course in DKIT may be more broad, taking in various aspects of the games development world including business type subjects whereas the one in Carlow may be focused on actual programming only.

I'd view the broader scope as a more positive aspect as it widens the range of jobs when a degree is awarded rather than narrow it like a focused course.

That said it sounds like your son will have done more research than me and may just know what he wants.

You got it in one Draffodx! Although I believe they have a new career guidance teacher in September - fingers crossed!

I agree the broader scope would be a better aspect, giving him more options in the future. As I say, he is young doing the Leaving and it is only this last few months he has expressed an interest in doing games programming, so lets hope its not a phase!

Now, to convince him of this! lol!

Thanks for the advice and help on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

Hey Zil, 2 of my housemates are going into their 4th year of Games Programming and I'm doing a course which is very closely linked to theirs (same modules, lectures etc). So if you have any more specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them for you.

• Advertisement

Hey Slashman are you in Software Dev?

Thanks Slashman X !! Are you in DKIT so? Is it the Games Development course that your housemates have taken? I'll ask son if he has any specific questions to put to you when he comes in later if thats ok. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

draffodx wrote: »
    Hey Slashman are you in Software Dev?
    Going into 4th year Internet Technologies Computing
    Zil2011 wrote: »
    Thanks Slashman X !! Are you in DKIT so? Is it the Games Development course that your housemates have taken? I'll ask son if he has any specific questions to put to you when he comes in later if thats ok. Thank you

I am yeah, they are taking the Level 8 Games Development course, just starting 4th year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

I'm heading into second year hoping to do Applications & Support? Anyone shed any light on Applications & Support Level 7 btw

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mikado89

Hi Zil2011, I'm currently a games dev student going into 4th year come September.
    I know Slashman X already offered but if you have any questions feel free to pm me.

James__10 wrote: »
    I'm heading into second year hoping to do Applications & Support? Anyone shed any light on Applications & Support Level 7 btw

My next door neighbour done it, if you've any specific questions let me know and I'll get his responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

Hi James im going into 3rd year on the same course is there anything you'd like to know particularly? like most courses if you just make sure to attend as much as possible you'll breeze through it, ill mail you with the jist of the subjects

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ashiii

Hi, I have applied for Business Studies - Management and Administration (level 7) in DKIT can someone tell me something about their experience and lecturers
    thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭isabell

and maybe something about Business Studies-Information Systems as well:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Ashiii wrote: »
    Hi, I have applied for Business Studies - Management and Administration (level 7) in DKIT can someone tell me something about their experience and lecturers
    thanks.

I can sum this course up in one sentence .

Jack of all trades , master of none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭isabell

Little Pea wrote: »
    I can sum this course up in one sentence .

Jack of all trades , master of none.

Little Pea and do you have any idea about business with information systems? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 alhooti

Hi,,

Hi everyone,,,, I'm one of the gulf students who got the chance of scholarship to Ireland in DKIT in pharmaceutical science fucalty...But I don't have alot of informations about this institute & how is the study in this major ??
    The second thing ,, can I have the chance to get the master degree after I get (A) or (B) degree in BSN ??
    pleaze if anyone has any idea ,, It will be great to answer me & I hope you replay me as soon as possible

**** I'll be gratefull of helping me with your informations ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Nbailey1194

Whats the student life like in dundalk? And is it easy to get digs near enough to the campus?

Whats the student life like in dundalk? And is it easy to get digs near enough to the campus?

Depends on your budget but generally there's plenty of choice within 5 - 10 minutes walk of the college.

Its been 3 years since I was there but the 4 years I was there were great craic and I really enjoyed the college life there, I lived in Dundalk for my first 2 years and highly recommend it for both social and educational purposes.

I think some of the estates have had issues with violence and criminal activity in the last year or two though so maybe someone currently living there can help out, if not try contacting the student union for information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Nbailey1194

Depends on your budget but generally there's plenty of choice within 5 - 10 minutes walk of the college.

Its been 3 years since I was there but the 4 years I was there were great craic and I really enjoyed the college life there, I lived in Dundalk for my first 2 years and highly recommend it for both social and educational purposes.

I think some of the estates have had issues with violence and criminal activity in the last year or two though so maybe someone currently living there can help out, if not try contacting the student union for information.

Thanks thats a great help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

It's easy enough but you need to be looking for accommodation maybe May because the sh1t hits the fan further into the summer and people are desperate for places.

Stay away from college heights..pure kip, rubbish everywhere and some dodgy characters.

College manor is decent, the first road is all students and further to the back is a mix of families and students.

The first road in rockfield seems ok.. The second turn can get wild on drinking nights.

Dead on here, it's mainly Monday and Thursday nights but it all depends on budgets. Usually a lot of pre drinking and then it's €5/8 admission and €2/3 a drink.

A few robberies did occur... A few when no one was in and a few aggravated events I suppose would be the best description, but just common sense, I.e. Close yer windows, use alarms etc..

I lived up there for 3 and a half years...most people are bang on but like anywhere you get gobsh1tes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 AnswerMe!

hi! just wondering what's the social scene like? whats it like for students living there and college facilities? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭trixyben

Anyone done or know of anyne that done the culinary arts in DKIT?

A pal of mine is looking at doing it and was just looking to know what all the course is about, is it for a complete beginer or would ya need to be experienced?

I know a girl who started it last year and only stuck at it for 3 months as she said it wasnt what she expected, i only got a brief chat with her one night out on the town.

So any advise here wuld be great cheers,

Advertisement