Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Question thread for people thinking of going to DKIT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

draffodx wrote: »
    Actually it could do with a new proper built bar

Never going to happen tho id say

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

cc87 wrote: »
    Never going to happen tho id say

Not unless the SU decide to raise funds to built and run one

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

flyswatter wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Did you find the teaching to be of a good standard? Also, what do you make of the facilities both in general and for the computing courses?

Ah some lecturers are brilliant while others are not.... One certain lecturer passed me by compensation in a subject that I use day to day in work for clients...so..Judge yourself I suppose.

Most lecturers will bend over backwards to help you if you apply yourself to their module.

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Link?

There's a new building for multimedia though, so I can't imagine it will be too tight of a squeeze though.

I hope...

We should have gotten that new building...:mad:...(Building Surveying)

Oh and I'm glad that I'm livin in College Manor, parking will be MENTAL!!

Dont forget the bar during rag week as well :D

Ah don't worry, you keep in with me and I'll let you into the bar during Rag Week....Sarge will vouch for that...(He better!!)

There's nothing at all in the pipeline for a new Bar, Sean is quite comfortable where he is and at least its manageable for me from a security point of view..!

I'd love to design a new bar and project manage it so Sarge I'll do the SU a discount...!

• Advertisement

A purpose built bar in dkit would be really really class!

Ah yeah I know pal but that's really not going to happen for the next few years..!

Be a lot better than the converted classroom we now have anyway

Be a lot better than the converted classroom we now have anyway

Actually it was purposely "made" as a bar, with the office and storage and balcony!

focus_mad wrote: »
    Actually it was purposely "made" as a bar, with the office and storage and balcony!

Can you still not bring glasses out on the balcony? Or are plastic cups provided to allow people bring their drink out and enjoy the sun? :D

• Advertisement

Can you still not bring glasses out on the balcony? Or are plastic cups provided to allow people bring their drink out and enjoy the sun? :D

Nope still not allowed bring out the classes....Ah we do the plastic cups for some nighttime gigs but usually people start complaining about not getting a full pint and all that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

I'm hoping to do the new humanities course! i hope 355 points are enough!
    anyway i was wondering is there something wrong with the DKIT website? cos is hasnt been workin for a while

LovexxLife wrote: »
    I'm hoping to do the new humanities course! i hope 355 points are enough!
    anyway i was wondering is there something wrong with the DKIT website? cos is hasnt been workin for a while

Yes, they seem to have a complete communications meltdown in the college, the phone system is messed up.

The website and facebook are working though.

http://ww2.dkit.ie/

http://www.facebook.com/DundalkIT

Yes, they seem to have a complete communications meltdown in the college, the phone system is messed up.

The website and facebook are working though.

http://ww2.dkit.ie/

http://www.facebook.com/DundalkIT

I was one the phone to Dkit yesterday and thursday, didnt have any problems.

this was the thing that wasnt working. maybe its just my internet or something

I was one the phone to Dkit yesterday and thursday, didnt have any problems.

I never said you couldn't contact the college! :p

wooo got humanities=)!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 kizzle

Public Relations here I come!

wooo got humanities=)!
    kizzle wrote: »
    Public Relations here I come!

Congratulations!

Ah I wish I was going back now!

Congratulations!

Ah I wish I was going back now!
    thanks!
    aww dkit mustn't be too bad then if you wanna go back!

• Advertisement

thanks!
    aww dkit mustn't be too bad then if you wanna go back!

Its great, I thoroughly enjoyed my 4 years there from the social aspect to the hard but rewarding work towards the end.

Keep us up to date on how you find it and how your getting on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Starting Computing in DKIT in September. Can't wait!

flyswatter wrote: »
    Starting Computing in DKIT in September. Can't wait!

Good choice :D

Thats what I done and look at me now! :D:D:D

EDIT: Have you any ideas which strand you'll prefer?

So when do you normally get stuff from the college?
    and whens like registration and when do 1st yrs start?

So when do you normally get stuff from the college?
    and whens like registration and when do 1st yrs start?

8th 9th and 10th of September is registration for 1st years who accept the 1st round CAO offers.

Which day will depend on your course, you will get a letter from DKIT either this week or early next week with details of day, time and room to register in. (Its normally in the nursing building)

And you will start college then at some stage the week after usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 PollyLouM

Any advice for a son offered physical activity in DKIT and 2 year course in Carlow? Make your mind up time!! Will degreee course in DKIT allow him to get into physiotherapy, think that's the ultimate destination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 SaucyB

Accepted film and video in dundalk today:) can't wait to start and see the new media building aswel:)

PollyLouM wrote: »
    Any advice for a son offered physical activity in DKIT and 2 year course in Carlow? Make your mind up time!! Will degreee course in DKIT allow him to get into physiotherapy, think that's the ultimate destination.

Hi Polly,

The DKIT website lists the career options from that course as:
    Career Options

* Physical Activity Co-ordinator Offices within the Health Service Executive
    * GP Practices (GP exercise referral scheme)
    * Corporate Health and Fitness
    * Leisure Facilities
    * Sports Clubs
    * Community Groups
    * Active Retirement Groups

I understand the GP Practices (GP exercise referral scheme) to include physiotherapy but I cant be 100% sure.

The course info is here:

http://ww2.dkit.ie/schools_and_departments/nmha/nursing_midwifery_health_studies/courses/dk880

And you have a contact at the bottom of the page there for questions, if needed.
    SaucyB wrote: »
    Accepted film and video in dundalk today:) can't wait to start and see the new media building aswel:)

Congratulations, yeh all through my time there the building was going to be ready for us next year but I never got to see it, let me know what its like!

PollyLouM wrote: »

The course in DKIT will allow him to go on and do a masters in physio, but at the moment onlys some universities in england will accept it, liverpool being the main one i think.

The course in carlow will allow him to go into physio at degree level but again i think only colleges in england will accept it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 PollyLouM

Thanks for all the comments. We know the 2 yr course in Carlow will allow him entry to UK physio courses, we just don't know how many years he has to put in, we know for a fact he can go to Keele. We're just wondering would the 4 yr degree course in DK be of more benefit to him, but are beginning to realise the answer is no, not for physio. The info on the course from the DKIT website regarding what career he might have after completion of the course doesn't inspire him. He's more interested in sports injury, than working with retirement groups and managing a leisure club, both of which appear as career choices on the website. The entry points for DKIT were 385 and for CWIT were 405, so I'm wondering if the 2yr course in Carlow is better?

Advertisement