Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Q_ueeny

Personally I hope not, I find it to be deteriorating after each episode, turning more soap opera than gripping drama.

It says on the RTE site not so long ago there will be a season 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

But he's the grey man too.. Just fades into the background and goes un-noticed mostly, he might rise to the top yet.

Someone mentioned the lad on the bike being appauling.

Apart from Sheehan not killing him I thought it was accurate enough tbh.. Sheehan is a seasoned killer at this stage so he should have tapped a few into the lad.

And why in hell is he letting Elmo off so often, kill the crying little fool ffs.

I don't think Tommy has the sense to rise to the top. It's been proven in all 3 seasons that he's a liability.

I can see why Darren left the kid go but i can't understand why he left Elmo go, it just doesn't make sense. It's clear Elmo ratted so why not kill him? As you said he's a seasoned killer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Q_ueeny

Rasmus wrote: »

I notice these things but honestly don't give a crap. TV is full of continuity errors but it doesn't mean something is a bad show. Id rather they rack up the drama rather than be meticulous on the details.
    I never noticed Darran wanting to laugh though!

I didn't either but on the other L/H thread I did see a few mention it when he was telling Nidge Ado got kneecapped by the RA.

I agree with having a serious drama rather then getting every single thing down to a tee. I'd take it as is anyday.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what developes with Sean McGinleys character.
    Heavy drinkers are and never where tolerated in subversive organisations because they are a weakness. Somebody of Dano's profile would not have gone unnoticed higher up

TBF there was bits in the first episode where Git gave out to Dano and told him to calm down on the drink. He is trying to keep him in line and prevent his weakness from being exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭event

I find it bewildering as the series develops what they are doing with Dano. He is just there as his father was as a stereotype and they will do what they want with him. That is neither credible or good writing. One minute he is being closely hounded by special branch yet can go take delivery of boxes marked RPG and drive them unfettered to a hiding place, the next minute he is lying poleaxed and prone with what we are told is a serious alcohol problem. How threatening could somebody like that be to somebody like Nidge?
    He is a ridiculous character if you think about it.

because he's pretty much the leader of the Real IRA in Dublin.
    Someone like that is threatening to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

event wrote: »
    because he's pretty much the leader of the Real IRA in Dublin.
    Someone like that is threatening to anyone.
    Only since his Dad went missing though, the henchmen are just hanging around him because they are loyal to Git.

I kind of agree with Happyman, to an extent (don't clip me!), Dano is a complete liability to the IRA, getting drunk and passing out all the time, I mean he makes himself such an easy target it's unbelievable.

If ANYONE saw him like that, they could pretty easily rock up to his house at about 3 in the morning, put the frighteners on the wife with a gun, and kill Dano, no bother.

Nidge is learnign from that, staying sober at the party.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Nidge's missus has some arse on her. Good enough to eat!

Unreal, I think she is one of the sexiest birds on television

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Unreal, I think she is one of the sexiest birds on television

hardly :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

TBF there was bits in the first episode where Git gave out to Dano and told him to calm down on the drink. He is trying to keep him in line and prevent his weakness from being exposed.

Try seeing his behaviour from the point of view of his men and you might get an idea of how ridiculous his character is. There is not a mission that they would tolerate their leader behaving like this at a time when they are being watched 24-7. He would become a liability very quickly. Totally without credibility and undermines Nidges reactions to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Try seeing his behaviour from the point of view of his men and you might get an idea of how ridiculous his character is. There is not a mission that they would tolerate their leader behaving like this at a time when they are being watched 24-7. He would become a liability very quickly. Totally without credibility and undermines Nidges reactions to him.

It's a fiction TV show that as you can see has a very captive audience. They must be doing something right?? Why don't you just leave your brain at the door and enjoy the show like everyone else. It's a TV show, name one series that doesn't have plot flaws? Just enjoy the entertainment like everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

you're making the assumption that the ira are some sort of elite army instead of the bunch of goons they really are

Dano is effective when he wants to be in fairness. Everyone has weaknesses. Dano's is drink but his ould fella's weakness was women

Perhaps the story is heading down that route that his henchmen will realise they are dealing with a complete liability and cut him loose. At the moment he is heading for boiling point. The drugs gang know what they are doing keeping him sweet as they would be disturbing a hornets nest if they touched him. The RA would look for any excuse to wipe out the drugs gang. Simples really.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Happyman42, you seriously seem to be confusing the Continuity gob****es with the IRA of the 70's/80's. The brains all went along with the Good Friday agreement, all that's left are the psychos who enjoy playing at armies. To them, a guy who can get the arms that Dano got in through leveraging Nidge might be worth tolerating a few lapses in judgement from...

On his missus, I'd agree it'd have been poor character development if she jumped Nidge after a few joints but, he's been putting the idea of an off-side shag into her head, her husband has been treating her like ****e and then Tommy shows her a little kindness. He's nice to her without any of Nidge's blatant attempts to get her into bed, it's been fairly well established that Tommy's a hit with the ladies in general in this show and add in the lack of inhibitions from being high followed by a decent shag and I don't think it's that difficult to see why it happened. She wasn't refusing an affair with Nidge because of any moral outrage: she just finds him repulsive.

you're making the assumption that the ira are some sort of elite army instead of the bunch of goons they really are

Id agree

Effectively they are like soccer yobs. The 'army' is merely a badge of convenience for alot of them so they feel the need to cause needless mayhem. They have no more interest in the political side of things then Paddy-me-arse, just an interest in being a total and utter pain. Most reasonable people will have moved on from the troubles but there is always a minority of ignorant bigots.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Happyman42, you seriously seem to be confusing the Continuity gob****es with the IRA of the 70's/80's. The brains all went along with the Good Friday agreement, all that's left are the psychos who enjoy playing at armies. To them, a guy who can get the arms that Dano got in through leveraging Nidge might be worth tolerating a few lapses in judgement from...

On his missus, I'd agree it'd have been poor character development if she jumped Nidge after a few joints but, he's been putting the idea of an off-side shag into her head, her husband has been treating her like ****e and then Tommy shows her a little kindness. He's nice to her without any of Nidge's blatant attempts to get her into bed, it's been fairly well established that Tommy's a hit with the ladies in general in this show and add in the lack of inhibitions from being high followed by a decent shag and I don't think it's that difficult to see why it happened. She wasn't refusing an affair with Nidge because of any moral outrage: she just finds him repulsive.

I 100% agree with your post but on the highlighted lets just be clear that Tommy boy is as thick as sh*t and doesnt do logic whether drunk or sober. The amount of cock ups he has made over the years im amazed he is still alive tbh

MidlandsM wrote: »
    hardly :rolleyes:

Fair oul doll off screen tbf. She is made to look cheap and chavvy in the show but she was on Craig Doyle last Thu night and she is one classy filly in my book

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Bit of a turn up for the books to see Tommy slipping a length to Dano's missus when everyone thought it was going to be Nidge. Presumably that is going to play into the story somewhere down the line.

Nidge won't be happy. Tommy will become a bigger part of S4 if he survives.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Dano is a complete an utter muppet. He only got where he is because of Git, and no that Git is out of the way Dano will be pushed aside in no time. I'd say he'll get pushed to the background for a while, and then lose the head and go off on a killing spree on his own.

Speaking of killing sprees, Tommy's really feeling the pressure now from all sides, he's going to snap sometime soon too.

Sleepy wrote: »

Which is the inherent and damaging confusion in the writing.
    Which is it? A strong and influential organisation or just another gang of thugs. The series seems to want to have it both ways when it suits the narrative. As I say, it will be interesting to see where it goes from the introduction of the McGinley character. I fear another batch of stereotypes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Halfway through the season too, and there's nothing really remotely looking wrapped up.

The trailer for next week looked like there will be some "revelations".

Redhead prostitute is either pregnant for Tommy, has a disease, or both. He's passed it onto RA-Wife, but it doesn't look like she has any kind of physical relationship with her husband, who is just a passed out drunk most nights.

Be sorry to see Tommy go, but I rckon they'll try to keep the Nidge/Darren/Tommy core of the group around for the next season, with Fran getting a bigger role, owing to his popularity with the audience. But, with a jealous Nidge, anything could happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Nidge, Dazzler and Fran are safe for this season I reckon, Aido as well. Elmo and Tommy not so much, Tommy is interesting though with all the smart moves he makes lol. I could see Nidge either being clipped in Season 4 or maybe even doing time? Road is open then for Fran the man to take charge.

If people keep getting killed either they've figured out the time line for the entire series or they need to start introducing new people. I'm doubtful the latter will happen, given how much time is needed to build characters in the core group like we're watching at the moment.

Which is the inherent and damaging confusion in the writing.
    Which is it? A strong and influential organisation or just another gang of thugs. The series seems to want to have it both ways when it suits the narrative. As I say, it will be interesting to see where it goes from the introduction of the McGinley character. I fear another batch of stereotypes.
    it's both ways in real life too...the ira believe itself to be great when in fact it is not

How many happyman posts does it take to close a thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Jesus Christ how has this thread turned into an IRA bashing thread.people giving their opinions on what they are nowadays,who have no clue other than the evening herald.

Can we not just discuss the show without descending into this lark again,take it to the politics forum if you want that discussion.

Back on topic,what an episode Fran is becoming a real favourite this season,but its all heading for a massive car crash,wonder who will be left standing when it all over!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Did anyone think last night there were parts when the audio was out of sync? Or had they redubbed parts to make the Billy Barry / D4 accents less noticeable? I really noticed this. Especially in the nightclub parts.

it's both ways in real life too...the ira believe itself to be great when in fact it is not

I think you may be confused, perceptions of the IRA/Real IRA are both ways in real life. However, there shouldn't be any confusion in the writing. Bad writers will make bad characters serve the narrative rather than the other way around, even if they lose credibility.

Once again I am getting attacked for having an 'opinion'. I wish somebody would open a fan thread in After Hours (it really is the place for it) I won't take part in it.
    This is the television forum, a place to discuss 'television', good bad and indifferent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Once again I am getting attacked for having an 'opinion'. I wish somebody would open a fan thread in After Hours (it really is the place for it) I won't take part in it.
    This is the television forum, a place to discuss 'television', good bad and indifferent.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion but why do you feel the need to repeat the same points over and over again?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

You're getting attacked because you're posting the same thing over and over and over again. You've told us you think the writing and characterisation is lazy, but instead of just leaving it at that, you keep quoting people and critizising the "sloppy" writing a plot points that they mention. You're a troll as far as I'm concerned.
    The show has plenty of flaws, but it's one of the best things RTE has produced, and it's getting better. The production values are much better compared to season one. People appreciate that.
    How many happyman posts does it take to close a thread?

In the last thread, it was 70 in less than two weeks. According to the search function.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭redappple

Loved last night's episode. I'm a newcomer to Love/Hate. Heard all the hype from Season 1 & 2 but hate starting a new TV series without seeing it from the start. I just happened to see Season 3 Episode 1 and have been hooked since. I managed to get a loan of the Season 1 box set so I am going to try and get season 2 next. Can't wait!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement