Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Only have it on 20 minutes as was out last night.
    Not bad so far. As has been said. Gleesons young lad is the image of him. I keep picturing him as a young Martin Cahill :)

Gillen is the only reason Im watching it to be honest. But it's not bad. I'll watch it all anyway. Fair play to RTE. One of the better things they have produced.

Never beat Reeling in The Years though. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Has potential I suppose but not that convincing. Any one know where I can watch "Runners" Been looking around but could'nt find.
    I think the Film Board funded it (to an extent, anyway), so it could be on one of their DVD releases along with some other shorts. I am not sure but have heard if you can get in contact with them, they are usually more than happy to give them out for free since they are more about raising awareness/building hype than bringing in any profit. Gillen's role in that is very, very short - just a single scene - but he is convincing in it as a threatening scumbag, but not in a shouting/agro type of way.

Black Sheep Productions made it, if you e-mail them they might do likewise. The trailer is here: http://www.blacksheepproductions.ie/runnerstrailer.html

The main young guy in Runners would have made a good addition now that I think about it; he's got a proper 'rough' look about him.

---

On the music, yeah it is cheesy but there is not a lot they can do about it. I took issue at first, but after thinking about it it would be far less realistic if they had put Irish rappers or something like that in, because let's face it, those rappers are not popular with that crowd. It would have looked (sounded) really out of place to be honest. Now maybe they could shoe-horn a trad-loving 'Ra spouting chungfella in there. It would be good for laughs at least. :D
    KeanSeenan wrote: »
    And also, is bebo even still around anymore?
    I think that was actually a good touch on their part, in relation to people complaining about American rap music in the show. Sure Bebo is dated, but people are familiar with what it is/was and it locates the situation as being in Ireland a lot more effectively than Facebook, for example. I know Bebo was international as well, but for some reason it hits home as more 'Irish' than Facebook, which is such a universally recognised global phenomenon.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I do have to wonder how much research the writer actually put into this. I mean, did he go out and talk to people involved in organised crime, and people affected by it?
    Or did he just watch the 6:01 News a few nights in a row, and read a few Herald headlines as he was sitting at the traffic lights?

That's not meant as criticism by the way, I'm just wondering how much effort went into making this realistic.

About the music choices. I don't see why it has to be rap at all? Do they think that because they go around shooting people that they must like to listen to music about people who go around shooting people? Surely even just some sort of instrumental score would've fit some of the scenes better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

and the one that plays Nigel's girlfriend clearly doesn't speak like that either in real life. Why do they have her putting on a fake accent? Does it really matter where Nigel's girlfriend is from?

The girl who plays Nigels girlfriend is actually from Monaghan and i dunno why she had to put on that terrible accent.

Also,well done to RTE for putting Irish acts on the shows soundtrack.... oh wait,its seems they have just used american hiphop acts. Most of the money spent on this show is probably going to the rubbish hiphop acts they had to pay to use their songs.

RTE.... How you have failed again :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The girl who plays Nigels girlfriend is actually from Monaghan and i dunno why she had to put on that terrible accent.

Exactly my point. Not everyone in Dublin is actually from Dublin, and not everyone involved in gangland activities in Dublin are from Dublin. Unless it serves some major plot point in a future episode that she's a Dub, then I have no idea why they need her to have a Dublin accent, especially when she's not very good at it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Also,well done to RTE for putting Irish acts on the shows soundtrack.... oh wait,its seems they have just used american hiphop acts. Most of the money spent on this show is probably going to the rubbish hiphop acts they had to pay to use their songs.

RTE.... How you have failed again :(
    So because they have used American rap music, the show is a failure? That's a pretty weak criticism.

You are aware that the same American rap music is what a lot of these guys listen to more than other genres, yes? A score wouldn't have hurt I will admit that, but it is hardly shoe-horned in there for effect, given that how prominently listened to it is. I will admit though that it didn't seem to make as much sense when Gillen was pulled over by the Gards - not so dominant amongst his generation.

Somebody said it earlier and they were right - a lot of people seem determind to not like this because it is from RTE. It is far from perfect - the editing was very cheesy in the first 15-20 minutes, some of the accents could use work, and perhaps it is a little over-reliant on American rap music, but it is a stellar job thus far by RTE standards (not saying much) and a solid effort for a UK/Ireland production (saying a good deal more).

The production values are fantastic for such a small budget, getting Aiden Gillen in was a real coup, it has so far been well-written, the dialogue is decent and authentic for what it is (the Irish urban working-class vernacular doesn't translate into very cinematic dialogue*), so far it has not overdone anything, and the catalyst of the guy getting shot was great. Overall I would put it at about 6.5/10 thus far, which is a huge leap forward for RTE or Irish productions in general, that hopefully we can learn a lot from going forward with future productions. After so many decades of pure crap, we're not going to be able to just flick a switch and create HBO-quality stuff overnight: it is a long and arduous process.

*Not a snobbish comment - plenty of local lingos are like this. Not every localised speech pattern can work as well on screen as American English or cockney.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

No tits=no point.

***sigh***

These posts are becoming tiresome. Could you think of something more constructive to say maybe?

Anyway, I liked it - worked with both Chris Newman and Ruth Negga about 6 years ago on another show for RTÉ, so great to see they're still getting decent parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 ballygowan

Quick question!!

Can anyone tell me when love/hate is repeated?

It's the new 4 part series that started on rte on sunday night!!
    My friend has no internet and has no access to the rte player,

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

What is this I don't even

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Television forum ;)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I only watched it because I know one of the lads starring, but I have to say I enjoyed it. It's a bit rough around the edges but it's pretty good overall. Gillen was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Iplayer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

ballygowan wrote: »
    Quick question!!

Can anyone tell me when love/hate is repeated?

It's the new 4 part series that started on rte on sunday night!!
    My friend has no internet and has no access to the rte player,

Cheers

Here ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

AH -> TV

• Registered Users Posts: 55,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

L/H threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Namabillion

RTE 1
    No. Programme Start Time Day 000's
    Rank
    Adults
    1 The Late Late Show 21:36 Fri 641
    2 Prime Time 21:40 Thu 491
    3 Prime Time 21:35 Tue 470
    4 Fair City 20:03 Tue 456
    5 Saturday Night Show 21:44 Sat 442
    6 Love/Hate 21:30 Sun 404
    7 Eastenders 19:58 Mon 395
    8 Fair City 19:29 Wed 391
    9 Nationwide 18:58 Mon 389
    10 Celebrity Bainisteoir 18:32 Sun 378
    11 Fair City 20:01 Sun 371
    12 Fair City 20:03 Thu 367
    13 Eastenders 19:28 Tue 360
    14 Reeling In The Years 20:32 Sun 359
    15 The Frontline 22:36 Mon 357
    16 Eastenders 19:58 Fri 352
    17 The Restaurant 20:32 Wed 344
    18 Eastenders 19:31 Thu 343
    19 Rescue 117 20:32 Tue 333
    20 FILM: Veronica Guerin 21:35 Wed 309

http://www.medialive2.com/television/latest-top-20-programmes/latest-top-20-programmes.html
    Ratings.

Its a bit clunky. I think the writers forgot that you can move quickly past a funeral, in actual fact you didn't even need to bury the brother. Nearly an hour of a funeral???? Did I miss what they are about? What do these criminals do exactly?

Over all it's fine, nothing major.

Was it supposed to look like the shot the camera man in the "bebo" film?

Elmo wrote: »

Was it supposed to look like the shot the camera man in the "bebo" film?

No. I think the gun jammed and you can see Darren put the camera down and see his feet walking over to Nigel to see what happened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

but it does like te camera man was shot

i thought he got shot :D:D:D the lead up to it was looking like something was going to happen

• Advertisement

But you can clearly see the camera being lowered, gradually, and him walking over. :D

must have been a flesh wound. Or Darren is a hardy hooooor.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

Just after watching this now and I think the criticism is a bit mental. Obviously RTE has done some crap stuff in the past, but give credit where its due. Good opening episode and I'm looking forward to next week.

I was enjoying it so much that I didn't even notice the accent problems that everyone else has, but then I didn't watch it expecting to hate it just because its on RTE.

On the American hip-hop music playing in the cars, I don't really see the problem with it. People do listen to this type of music and I felt it was believable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Yep, but it's mostly '90s rap tunes that they used - done already in plenty of old American TV shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

Billy86 wrote: »

I think that was actually a good touch on their part, in relation to people complaining about American rap music in the show. Sure Bebo is dated, but people are familiar with what it is/was and it locates the situation as being in Ireland a lot more effectively than Facebook, for example. I know Bebo was international as well, but for some reason it hits home as more 'Irish' than Facebook, which is such a universally recognised global phenomenon.

Well as it was just a video, Youtube could've been used, but I suppose, Bebo is in the toilet now, cheaper to mention.I thought the music seemed apt, I'll imagine some bad dance music or Oasis may be used in car scenes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭rob88

so **** and boring.. i wouldn't mind if it was just the set up episode for the next 12 episodes or something but 3 more to go?? i agree with most of the negative points.. was like an hour long fair city.. accents were ****.. actors looked too clean.. boring as hell.. script editor needs to be fired and dialogue was generally crap.. and the whole internet video thing at the end?? so the main guy leaves his brothers funeral to go shoot some videos for youtube in the woods?? and he wasnt trying to scare your man because he seemed offended the guy was thinking that so why did they bring him a long? for the car trip? ughhhh not watchin it again next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

KeanSeenan wrote: »
    Well as it was just a video, Youtube could've been used, but I suppose, Bebo is in the toilet now, cheaper to mention.I thought the music seemed apt, I'll imagine some bad dance music or Oasis may be used in car scenes.

They had "Viewtube".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Greenman wrote: »
    If the sister loved him so much why did she not collect him from the prison?

She was busy doin the deed.

rob88 wrote: »
    was like an hour long fair city.. accents were ****

This to me is a typical post. I didn't feel it was an hour long fair city and yet again we start talking about accents in Irish TV shows. I agree it wasn't very good and it left too many questions, you just couldn't care about the characters.

Why was the Brother Killed? It seemed too wishy washy to blame it purely on a Gangland murder, as we were not told of any of the background to the characters. Other than they are very stereotypical Irish criminals, one living in the Costa De Sol, one in prison shot in the first ten mins and big men with guns and women. A story about either the woman who lost her son after his friend killed him or one about the mother paying of the loan shark would have been better subject areas rather than very small subplots.

I can imagine this having an New Jack City ending with the mother who was paying of the loan shark killing that character or Aidan Gillen's character who seems to have been set up as the kingpin in a very sterotypical way.

It is average but it does have a strong Irish cast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Good show IMO.

A few of us from Ballymun (its where I'm from) and town were waiting for this, expecting to have a laugh.

All agreed it was pretty good, but without exception EVERY ONE OF US said "thats bollox, no one talks like that"..

Its only short coming for us was the accents, they were awful..

Good show let down by terrible accents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭rob88

Elmo wrote: »
    This to me is a typical post.

2 sentences of a typical post it would seem

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement