Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The metcon thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

I need another metcon for tonight...

was thinking

5 pullups
    10 24kg bell swings
    15 pushups
    20 situps

but i dont think tis harsh enough :P

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭rjp123

this will make it harder:

5 pullups
    10 burpees
    15 24kg bell swings
    20 pushups
    25 situps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

im thinking of doing :

10 tyre flips
    10 box jumps (18 inch box)
    10 burpees or jumping jacks.

5 rounds for time.

Do it fatboy! :D
    fat-kid.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Fairly snappy one from Ross Enamait...

5 rounds
    5kb snatches L&R
    5kb swings L&R
    10 burpees

Choose a weight to make it fairly challenging. Looks inoffensive enough but not if you want to do it quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Have fun. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

cc87 wrote: »

Legend! :D

Found this site just there.

http://www.wodclub.com/

Looks like you can post your times on all the different WODs and see how you compare to other people.

ive a love hate realationship going on with you for this post...

i love you for posting it...but i hate you for killing my productivity in work tomorrow:D

ive a love hate realationship going on with you for this post...

i love you for posting it...but i hate you for killing my productivity in work tomorrow:D

And soon il probably be hated after some of the hard met-cons are attempted

Anything with bodyblasters in them should be outlawed :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Has pyramid Helen come up yet?

1,200m run
    63 swings w/ 25kg 'bell
    36 pull ups
    800m run
    42 swings w/ 25kg 'bell
    24 pull ups
    400m run
    21 swings w/ 25kg 'bell
    12 pull ups

Suckfest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i'm sorry tigger can't work today because he's dead

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Great thread.

BTW what is a burpee pullup? A burpee followed by a pull up, or something diferent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Instead of jumping and clapping above your head you jump and do a pull up, often these are mixed grip rather then the standard pull up grip.

Found this site just there.

http://www.wodclub.com/

Looks like you can post your times on all the different WODs and see how you compare to other people.

Yeah I'm on that, there don't seem to be that many people on it though, that's the only thing. Be cool if there was an Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

doing this lots this week and last with clients - record is 10mins even with 16kg KB for the swings and farmers walk by lady in her later thirties.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

What components make up a metcon? Tried this one that made rowing a little more interesting

800mtr row----12 squats----12 press-ups
    600 mtr row---10 squats
    10 press ups
    400 mtr row---8 squats---8 press ups
    200 mtr row--6 squats---6 press ups

Just worked down that way start of week will now try to work down and back up again. Is this considered a metcon?

Is a metcon a workout in itself(i.e. just do metcon & nothing else) or is it an add on to an additional workout e.g weights session mini metcon instead of cardio at end?

what you posted could be considered a metcon - a little low on the reps for the squat and press ups but if you enjoy that then thats cool. For any metcon you need to be able to repeat the same conditions every time so you can watch for performance improvements.

So on the one you did i would time myself and just aim to improve on the time or if it was for rounds you would try to do more rounds within a set time e.g. 500m row, 20 squats and 10 press ups as many rounds as possible in 15mins.

It must be said most people would not keep doing the same metcon over and over again so borrow ideas from this thread and go from there.

A metcon can be a workout in itself e.g. after crossfit fran you are not going to be up to much.

Typically i would get clients to do 2 strength only days and 2 metcon only days if they want to train any more than that they can work on a single lift (e.g. squat, snatch, power clean) and then do a metcon after or even just some light cardio or just foam rolling it really depends on how they feel on the day.

Yesterday for example i did crossfit jackie in the morning (10mins getting ready then a 6.58min metcon) which would be good if you like your rowing -

And later in the day yesterday I did a muscle up and kettlebell swing ladder i.e. 1 rep of both the first minute, 2 reps of both when the second minute comes around and keep going until you cant get the required number of reps done in 1min (i got to finish out the 6th minute).

The main thing is that there is lots of variety and you can make up your own, borrow ideas from others etc but just make sure that you repeat it with the same form every time (e.g. if doing press ups you touch your chest off the floor on every rep) and aim to make performance improvements when you can.

Was reading last night about a ladder met-con that GymJones do. They call it a breath ladder.

You pick a compound exercise, anyone you like. Do one rep, take one breath, do 2 reps, take 2 breaths.........until you take more breaths than allowed. Sounds vicious

Was reading last night about a ladder met-con that GymJones do. They call it a breath ladder.

You pick a compound exercise, anyone you like. Do one rep, take one breath, do 2 reps, take 2 breaths.........until you take more breaths than allowed. Sounds vicious
    yes that sounds great - just pick one and go for it.

There are hundreds of options just make sure you keep progressing and stay consistent

Transform wrote: »

The main thing is that there is lots of variety and you can make up your own, borrow ideas from others etc but just make sure that you repeat it with the same form every time (e.g. if doing press ups you touch your chest off the floor on every rep) and aim to make performance improvements when you can.

Ive been having great fun making up ones recently...

today though it was good old cindy 10 rounds in 15 minutes.....didnt have time for 20 min....the last few rounds of pullups were horrible...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Why Should I

Hi all,

I just did my second ever Crossfit style workout.

I was looking for some feedback

Started off just warming up on the bike then

25 Squats (132lbs - same weight for all reps)
    25 Ground to overhead( 110lbs - same weight for all reps)
    20 Squats
    20 GTO
    15 Squats
    15 GTO
    10 Squats
    10 GTO
    5 Squats
    5 GTO
    1 Squats
    1 GTO

for a total of

76 Squats
    76 Ground to Overhead

in 29:28

How would you rate this workout and time?

be honest :D

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

i almost did a metcon today, almost, it was timed stuff with a barbell. maybe next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Why Should I

i almost did a metcon today, almost, it was timed stuff with a barbell. maybe next week.

if don't have anything good to say, Don't say anything at all

Live by that and you won't find you're self getting you're @ss kicked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Great idea for a thread.

/subscribes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

I tried a metcon for the first time today....well, I tried 2 of the short ones..don't think I'd have the mentality to do a longer one....they hurt

gymfreak wrote: »
    .don't think I'd have the mentality to do a longer one....they hurt

That's what makes them fun:D

Hi all,

I just did my second ever Crossfit style workout.

I was looking for some feedback

Started off just warming up on the bike then

25 Squats (132lbs - same weight for all reps)
    25 Ground to overhead( 110lbs - same weight for all reps)
    20 Squats
    20 GTO
    15 Squats
    15 GTO
    10 Squats
    10 GTO
    5 Squats
    5 GTO
    1 Squats
    1 GTO

for a total of

76 Squats
    76 Ground to Overhead

in 29:28

How would you rate this workout and time?

be honest :D

Cheers
    it is not a classic crossfit metcon so do one of them and then put up your time/rounds e.g. do crossfit cindy or crossfit barbara.

Putting up ones no one has ever done its no way to ask others on how to rate you (which by the way you cant do from ANY metcon).

If you really want to know where you stand enter the crossfit invite coming up in september

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Transform wrote: »

small point on the rowing technique... get your legs fully down before you lean back... you're taking all the finish out of it at the start of the stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

Gym closed for bank holiday....cue trawling the house for things to stuff in a bag.

20X 12kg thrusters
    20X press ups
    10X K2E
    500m run (approximate)
    3 rounds for time...18.20

You don't need a gym to increase your fitness, great to workout outdoors and will be working it in more often.

• Advertisement

Parsley wrote: »
    small point on the rowing technique... get your legs fully down before you lean back... you're taking all the finish out of it at the start of the stroke.
    cheers for that - never worked on rowing tech before and see what you mean

Advertisement