Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catastrophic climate change

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

digme wrote: »
    It has to be scientifically or else I would be talking about something else entirely, such as economically.I don't need to explain the science,I just know that the earth is billions of years old and things happens every once in awhile but, man is so conceited and self absorbed that they think, just because they are alive at this point in time,it must be them that's causing it,it's pure bollocks.

The amount of toxins/pollutants being pumped into the atmosphere daily:

Pollution-china.jpg

Has to have some impact on the atmosphere, these chemicals do not just disappear.

I don't understand why some people will argue to the hilt thats its not scientifically proven, climate has always changed etc. Surely caution would be the better approach, at least if we're wrong(which I don't think we are) it will have had no or little effect on the planet.

The world needs to cut emissions drastically in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

My theory is that climate change is caused by something else that co2 , the reason co2 is blamed is because it can be taxed easily .

What else could be causing the climate to change , it could be that damage was done to the earths protective layer from aerial thermonuclear tests in the 50s and 60s and that the reason for chemtrails is to stop radiation from entering the athmosphere from damage caused by those tests .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

I think if we just kept a mind first to the enviornment we live in(green energy etc) and second to everything else we would not have to wonder about the issue.
    Maybe the scientists(along with layman advisors for moral and ethical reasons :D) should be running the countries instead of politicians(actors) and business men.
    Because theres money involved the issue is not resolved properly and we will continue to argue over the symptoms as the average people.
    If they brought out cheaper alternatives it would be fixed much faster and we would then see if we were effecting a climate change or to what extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

espinolman wrote: »
    My theory is that climate change is caused by something else that co2 , the reason co2 is blamed is because it can be taxed easily .

Interesting, how did you come about this theory? Would you like to share the research you have done?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Human emissions will have an effect on the atmosphere, but we don't know how much cause we can't really set up a control group.

The reasonable answer seems to be that we have influenced the atmosphere; CO2 is a greenhouse gas, we've released quite a bit of it- not an unreasonable hypothesis to work with.

Surely caution would be the safest route; if CO2 is damaging the climate, then hooray we've stopped it! If CO2 doesn't, then, oh well, better safe than sorry.

Espinolman, why would CO2 be more easily taxed than anything else? CO2 is produced by combustion and is known (as I understand) to have these effects, so it's certainly a prime candidate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

studiorat wrote: »
    Interesting, how did you come about this theory? Would you like to share the research you have done?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z99FIOSetGw

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭IrelandSpirit

robtri wrote: »
    sure nor does a lot of theories on this forum... :D

I have a caravan by the sea, it's only a stone's throw away from the tide line. It's been there for over 12 years. It's still there last time I checked.

So can someone please explain the sea level rising theory. Because if the polar icecaps are melting due to man-made global warming, to the point whole islands are vanishing under water, :eek: why hasn't sea levels risen here?

I seriously don't get that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

The day draws near when we can call bull**** on this '' Man made Global warming '' theory.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070228-mars-warming.html

Take that tree huggers:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

The day draws near when we can call bull**** on this '' Man made Global warming '' theory.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070228-mars-warming.html

Take that tree huggers:D

*sigh*

Did you read the article? Or was it just the headline?

Let me quote you a few bits;
    Abdussamatov's work, however, has not been well received by other climate scientists.

"His views are completely at odds with the mainstream scientific opinion," said Colin Wilson, a planetary physicist at England's Oxford University.

"And they contradict the extensive evidence presented in the most recent IPCC [Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change] report."

Amato Evan, a climate scientist at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, added that "the idea just isn't supported by the theory or by the observations."

"Wobbles in the orbit of Mars are the main cause of its climate change in the current era," Oxford's Wilson explained. (Related: "Don't Blame Sun for Global Warming, Study Says" [September 13, 2006].)

All planets experience a few wobbles as they make their journey around the sun. Earth's wobbles are known as Milankovitch cycles and occur on time scales of between 20,000 and 100,000 years.

"Mars has no [large] moon, which makes its wobbles much larger, and hence the swings in climate are greater too," Wilson said.

Perhaps the biggest stumbling block in Abdussamatov's theory is his dismissal of the greenhouse effect, in which atmospheric gases such as carbon dioxide help keep heat trapped near the planet's surface.

He claims that carbon dioxide has only a small influence on Earth's climate and virtually no influence on Mars.

But "without the greenhouse effect there would be very little, if any, life on Earth, since our planet would pretty much be a big ball of ice," said Evan, of the University of Wisconsin.

So next time you want to "Call Bullsh*t :D:D:D:D:D:D" on climate change, please, at least read beyond the headline

Yes I read it all. Its a step closer to the truth:D Like I wrote '' the day draws near''

All we need is a few more dodgy e-mail & a few whistleblowers

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Yes I read it all. Its a step closer to the truth:D Like I wrote '' the day draws near''

All we need is a few more dodgy e-mail & a few whistleblowers

Some actual evidence would be a help too.

yekahs wrote: »

Yes evidence would be nice. We have detailed climate records going back about since the 1800's. Its hardly enough time to make such statements as man is causing the earths temp to rise. Maybe 10,000 years of records would be a good starting point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Metalfan

haha you guys are nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Take a week off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

one of the theories against man made climate change is that we are coming to the end of our current ice age and the earth is warming up naturally as it has been for a good few thousand years or so.
    Some quarters point to the temperature rises in the equatorial african regions over the last few hundred years as an indicator of this.
    In my opinion, this is the more convincing of the climate change theories i have heard.

yekahs wrote: »

Let's start with my caravan by the sea, as explained earlier, it's only a stone's throw away from the tide line. It's been there for over 12 years. It's still there last time I checked. We're repeatedly told man-made global warming is melting polar icecaps and sea levels are rising - whole islands are vanishing under water, why is my caravan still there?

I'm not being obtuse asking this question, I would really like to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

forgot to add that i do believe being responsible in our energy needs ain't a bad thing. Although i do believe that carbon taxes are a step too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Let's start with my caravan by the sea, as explained earlier, it's only a stone's throw away from the tide line. It's been there for over 12 years. It's still there last time I checked. We're repeatedly told man-made global warming is melting polar icecaps and sea levels are rising - whole islands are vanishing under water, why is my caravan still there?

Funny i was at a friends mobile home a couple of years ago and the bank next to the sea was being totally eaten away. And it wasn't when they went there originally.

On a general note I can't believe the arrogance of some people when it comes to climate change. If we make changes and it turns out it's not happening we've lost very little. But if we don't make changes and it turns out to be happening we could lose everything. I don't need to be a scientist to understand that.

meglome wrote: »
    Funny i was at a friends mobile home a couple of years ago and the bank next to the sea was being totally eaten away. And it wasn't when they went there originally.

Funny that yeah, and your friend's caravan's not underwater either! I'm not referring to coastal erosion, but polar ice-caps melting and entire islands vanishing under the sea. I just don't understand if that's true, then why havent sea levels risen here?

On a general note I can't believe the arrogance of some people when it comes to climate change. If we make changes and it turns out it's not happening we've lost very little. But if we don't make changes and it turns out to be happening we could lose everything. I don't need to be a scientist to understand that.

I agree, climate does change - we've not seen a decent summer here for over a decade - and I would also agree with a radical shift from fossil fuels to a clean alternative, and to an end to pollution in general.

But I saw islands vanishing on TV a couple of years back and it was because of global warming melting the ice-caps, they said. Seriously, how can sea levels rise on one side of the planet but no anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RoboClam

Here's the average increase since 1880:

Recent_Sea_Level_Rise.png

So unless your caravan is less than 5 cm above sea level, I think you'll be OK for quite a while.

There are a few reasons why small island nations are more at risk from increasing sea levels. As stated here http://maps.grida.no/go/graphic/estimated-contributions-to-sea-level-rise-1993-2003

" The two main reasons for sea-level rise are thermal expansion of ocean waters as they warm, and increase in the ocean mass, principally from land-based sources of ice (glaciers and ice caps, and the ice sheets of Greenland and Antarctica). Global warming from increasing greenhouse gas concentrations is a significant driver of both contributions to sea-level rise."

The waters around Ireland can hardly be considered warm, so this wouldn't be a problem for us.

Another contributing factor is that Tuvalu for example is only 4.5 m above sea level at it's highest. Even still, I've only found reports of severe flooding that have been linked to increased sea levels. Any "sinking" islands seem to be a result of Subsidence rather than climate change.

• Advertisement

RoboClam wrote: »
    Here's the average increase since 1880:

Recent_Sea_Level_Rise.png

So unless your caravan is less than 5 cm above sea level, I think you'll be OK for quite a while.

There are a few reasons why small island nations are more at risk from increasing sea levels. As stated here http://maps.grida.no/go/graphic/estimated-contributions-to-sea-level-rise-1993-2003

" The two main reasons for sea-level rise are thermal expansion of ocean waters as they warm, and increase in the ocean mass, principally from land-based sources of ice (glaciers and ice caps, and the ice sheets of Greenland and Antarctica). Global warming from increasing greenhouse gas concentrations is a significant driver of both contributions to sea-level rise."

The waters around Ireland can hardly be considered warm, so this wouldn't be a problem for us.

Another contributing factor is that Tuvalu for example is only 4.5 m above sea level at it's highest. Even still, I've only found reports of severe flooding that have been linked to increased sea levels. Any "sinking" islands seem to be a result of Subsidence rather than climate change.

Thanks, I'll try to get my head around thermal expansion increasing the ocean mass ... not sure what Archimedes would have to say about that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RoboClam

Thanks, I'll try to get my head around thermal expansion increasing the ocean mass ... not sure what Archimedes would have to say about that! :)

Well, thermal expansion doesn't increase the ocean mass, but rather a volume change due to increased movement of particles. The quote I posted, which was a little ambiguous I might add, was referring to the change in mass due to the melting of land based ice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭TalkieWalkie

US Government in Massive New Global Warming Scandal – NOAA Disgraced

Global warming data apparently cooked by U.S. government-funded body shows astounding temperature fraud with increases averaging 10 to 15 degrees Fahrenheit.

The tax-payer funded National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has become mired in fresh global warming data scandal involving numbers for the Great Lakes region that substantially ramp up averages.

A beleaguered federal agency appears to be implicated in the most blatant and extreme case of climate data fraud yet seen. Official records have been confirmed as evidence that a handful of temperature records for the Great Lakes region have been hiked up by literally hundreds of degrees to substantially inflate the average temperature range for the northeastern United States.

The web pages at the center of this latest climate storm were created by NOAA in partnership with Michigan State University.

Disgraced Administration Mired in Another Climategate-style Data Fix

Someone under the pseudonym ‘Sportsmen’ anonymously tipped off skeptic blog, Climatechangefraud.com. Independent analysts affirm the web pages as genuine.

In his email the faceless whistleblower explains that what precipitated the scoop was “a rather dubious report in the media that the Great Lakes temperatures have risen 10 to 15 degrees, I found it was downright laughable.” (Just a few examples of media hysteria here and here and here and here)

He continues, “ Prior to this report I would frequent the ‘Coastal Watch’ temperature maps for northern Lake Michigan. When this report came out it dawned on me that the numbers didn't match what I had been reading on the Coastal Watch temperature page.”

Under a scheme called ‘Sea Grant’ NOAA collaborates with national universities to compile an official federal temperature record. In this instance, the partnersip is with Michigan University’s ‘Coastal Watch.’

Together the two institutions show temperature maps for northern Lake Michigan registering an absurd 430 degrees Fahrenheit -yes, you read it right –that’s four hundred and thirty degrees-and this is by no means the highest temperature recorded on the charts.

In the heated debate about Earth’s ever-changing climate you certainly don’t need to be scientist to figure out that the Great Lakes would have boiled away at a mere 212 degrees so something has seriously gone awry inside this well-funded program.

In addition to its civilian employees, NOAA research and operations are supported by 300 uniformed service members who make up the NOAA Commissioned Officer Corps. But don’t bet on anyone being court-marshalled over this latest global warming fiasco.

Paid for entirely from federal taxes, the shamed public body’s key responsibilities include warning of dangerous weather and protection of ocean and coastal resources, and conducts research to improve understanding and stewardship of the environment.

Michigan State University Also Complicit in Fraud?

The worst evidence of hyper-inflated global warming data is on a web page entitled, ‘Michigan State University Remote Sensing & GIS Research and Outreach Services.’

While another web page identifies that Michigan State University’s ‘Coastal Watch’ site is officially connected to NOAA thus implicating both institutions in a climate data conspiracy. At the bottom of the web page mention is made of ‘Sea Grant’ that is described as a “unique partnership of public and private sectors that combines research, education and technology transfer for public service.“

The legend further boasts that such data is shared across “ a national network of universities meeting the changing environmental and economic needs of Americans in coastal ocean and Great Lakes regions.”

NOAA Makes it White Hot in Wisconsin

But our intrepid anonymous whistleblower wasn’t done yet. He pointed out that Egg Harbor, Wisconsin, really got cooking this July 4th around 9:59AM, according to NOAA and Coast Watch. It was there, at the bottom left row of the temperature data points, that the records reveal on that day a phenomenally furnace-like 600 degrees Fahrenheit. (Click here if CoastWatch link does not work or disappears)
    eggharborwisconsin1wis4.jpg
    Egg Harbor by Royalbroil
    Egg Harbor by Royalbroil

Further analysis of the web pages shows that the incredibly wide temperature swings were occurring in remarkably short 10-hour periods-and sometimes in less than 5 hours. Strangely, none of the 250 citizens of the 78 families living in the village appeared to notice this apocalyptic heatwave during their holiday festivities.

Hidden Data Spike Hikes Heating Averages

But our sharp-eyed stranger comments, “ As I understand it, the current available Gif data maps are several for the latest dates, but the archives have less dates to choose from. It's possible that in the past these numbers were incorrect but in the archive system you do not see the numbers that could have been in gross error.”

So it may reasonably be inferred climate fraudsters had a perfect opportunity here to fraudulently apply overcooked and overlooked data so that America’s Joe Public would be none the wiser that a few climate numbers vastly ramped up the national temperature averages.

Laughably, NOAA publishes a caveat at the bottom right corner of their web page warning about their data is “Not to be used for navigation purposes!”

The current head of NOAA is Dr. Jane Lubchenco, nominated by President Barack Obama and confirmed by the United States Senate on March 19, 2009 and is the first woman to serve as NOAA administrator. On her appointment Lubchenco declared that science would guide the agency and that she expects it to play a role in developing a green economy. You can say that again!

Readers now interested in doing their own detective work may wish to peruse the further data found here and here

to further ascertain whether climate doomsayers have rigged more ‘real world’ temperatures in a shabby scheme to win support for green energy tax hikes. If you find anything be sure to drop Lubchenco a line here.

Author's Addendum:
    Of major concern here is whether the false data has been fed into climate models ascertaining the broader temperature averages for the entire United States. The alleged response from NOAA as shown in the comments below this article, indicates evasiveness by Chuck Pistis, NOAA Program Coordinator, in answering the question. Why so?

I also applied due diligence and asked internationally renowned climatologist, Dr. Timothy Ball to take a look at the numbers. Here is what Dr. Ball observed:

"I have read your article and believe it is a very valid observation of the data as reported. At best the entire incident indicates gross incompetence, at worst it indicates a deliberate attempt to create a temperature record that suits the political message of the day."

Moreover, I have written to NOAA but am still awaiting their reply. I specifically asked whether this extravagantly false data was fed into climate models to help ramp up the U.S. climate numbers by "400%" as commented on by analyst, Jo Nova (more here). The Australian researcher provides an excellent summary to an important paper that removes all doubt that climate models are utterly flawed. As Dr. Ball points out—perhaps we know why.

John O'Sullivan is a legal analyst, author and journalist. As an accredited academic, John taught and lectured for over twenty years at schools and colleges in the east of England before moving to the United States. As an analytical commentator, O'Sullivan has published over 100 major articles worldwide.
    http://www.climatechangefraud.com/climate-reports/7479-us-government-in-massive-new-global-warming-scandal-noaa-disgraced

Do i have this right... we are not to believe all the scientists but one anonymous 'whistle blower' is to be believed?

meglome wrote: »
    Do i have this right... we are not to believe all the scientists but one anonymous 'whistle blower' is to be believed?

I didn't suggest that, but go right ahead if thats what you want.

But for a minute, let's imagine this crazy scenario for a moment.

Some guy benefits from a global warming scam.
    This guy is well placed and very wealthy.
    Scientists depend on funding from this wealthy guy.
    Wealthy guy doesn't like what the scientist is working on.
    Scientist is no longer a scientist. Next please

See how that works ?

Great post TalkieWalkie and www.Climatechangefraud.com bookmarked:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

See how that works ?

Sort of. The problem I have with it is that this guy is apparently funding scientists all over the world. In effect, he's already unbelievably wealthy, and in control of pretty much everything. That he remains hidden only further indicates how much power he has...he must control media and all the rest.

For someone with so much power and money, this seems like a massively overcomplicated and risky way to make more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Did the world end after the end of your 2009 calender? No? Well, why do you think the world will end at the end of the Mayans calender?

I asked you did i have it right. Even though you didn't suggest it, do you believe all the scientists are wrong/lying but one anonymous 'whistle blower' should be believed?

See how that works ?

A much more likely scenario would be corporations funding organisations which dismiss man made climate change. Corporations that don't want their CO2 admissions reduced as it might hurt their profits. Cause as bonkey says above your way is a very complicated way for someone with money to make more.

• Advertisement

bonkey wrote: »
    Sort of. The problem I have with it is that this guy is apparently funding scientists all over the world. In effect, he's already unbelievably wealthy, and in control of pretty much everything. That he remains hidden only further indicates how much power he has...he must control media and all the rest.

For someone with so much power and money, this seems like a massively overcomplicated and risky way to make more money.

It doesnt have to be one guy necessarily nor does it have to be hidden. Also, you wont be surprised to hear me say that the media and "all the rest" are controlled.

One Example of how they operate:
    In an explosive first-hand account, ecosystem biologist Linda Hooper-Bui describes how Obama administration and BP lawyers are making independent scientific analysis of the Gulf region an impossibility. Hooper-Bui has found that only scientists who are part of the Natural Resource Damage Assessment (NRDA) process to determine BP’s civil liability get full access to contaminated sites and research data. Pete Tuttle, USFWS environmental contaminant specialist and Department of Interior NRDA coordinator, admitted to The Scientist that “researchers wishing to formally participate in NRDA must sign a contract that includes a confidentiality agreement” that “prevents signees from releasing information from studies and findings until authorized by the Department of Justice at some later and unspecified date.” Hooper-Bui writes:

It’s not hazardous conditions associated with oil and dispersants that are hampering our scientific efforts. Rather, it’s the confidentiality agreements that come with signing up to work on large research projects shepherded by government entities and BP and the limited access to coastal areas if you’re not part of those projects that are stifling the public dissemination of data detailing the environmental impact of the catastrophe.

Hooper-Bui’s depictions of samples confiscated by US Fish and Wildlife officials and expeditions blocked by local law enforcement is consistent with the steady stream of reports about obstruction, censorship, and confusion under BP’s private army of contractors. A full and open scientific assessment of the effects of the BP disaster is crucial for the health of the ecosystem and the residents of this American jewel.
    [URL="http://thinkprogress.org/2010/08/10/scientists-bp-gag"]http://thinkprogress.org/2010/08/10/scientists-bp-gag[/URL]

Advertisement