Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

http://www.techtir.ie/blog/watty/ka-sat-countdown

SC fuel loading has commenced.

No indication anywhere of pause in count down due to launch failure of the 3 GPS satellites.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Pity those GPS satellites ended up in the drink. Never rely on Satnav, you never know where you will end up.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Apogee

Russia Suspends All Proton Launches During Investigation

PARIS — The head of Russia’s Roscosmos space agency on Dec. 7 said all launches of the Proton vehicle will be suspended until a board of inquiry has determined the cause of the Dec. 5 Proton failure, which destroyed three Glonass navigation satellites.

In statements posted on the Roscosmos website following an interview with Russia’s Izvestia news service, Anatoli N. Perminov also said a demonstration model of the next generation of Glonass satellites will be put into operational service to offset the loss of the three earlier-generation spacecraft.

The launch of the first Glonass-K satellite, now undergoing final testing at ISS Reshetnev in Krasnoyarsk, Russia, is scheduled later this month aboard a Soyuz rocket.

Perminov said he hopes the inquiry board will return its conclusions by the end of this month, and perhaps even within two weeks.

“Until we reach conclusions about the cause of the failure, Proton won’t be launched,” Perminov said. “We have one more launch of this rocket, with a foreign payload, on this year’s schedule.”

An International Launch Services (ILS) Proton using a different upper stage than the one used for the failed Glonass launch is scheduled to launch the Ka-Sat consumer broadband satellite for Eutelsat of Paris late this month.

International Launch Services on Dec. 7 released the following statement about its Ka-Sat launch preparations.

"We expect to receive an interim [Proton failure] report in approximately one week that may include details on the respective performance of the Block DM-03 upper stage built and operated by RSC Energia and the three lower Proton M stages, all built and operated by Khrunichev Research and State Production Center, the majority owner of ILS. While the Proton M is a flight-proven configuration, this was a maiden flight of the Block DM-03 upper stage, which is a derivative of Energia’s Block DM-3.

"The Ka-Sat satellite built by Astrium for Eutelsat is scheduled for launch on December 20 using the Proton M Breeze M launch vehicle. The Breeze M upper stage, like the Proton M stages, is built and operated by Khrunichev. The Ka-Sat satellite launch campaign continued with the completion of the spacecraft propellant loading yesterday, and the start of joint operations today with mating to the payload adapter system.

"Further information will be provided on the status of the December 5 Proton M Block DM-03 GLONASS-M mission investigation as well as the upcoming ILS Proton Ka-Sat launch as soon as it becomes available," the statement concludes.

Perminov said the Proton rocket, which for ILS launches uses the Breeze M upper stage and for some government launches uses the older Block DM stage, remains one of the world’s most reliable vehicles, with a 96 percent success rating. He noted that the Breeze M caused a Proton launch failure in 2008, and that the Block DM stage “has not had any problems … for almost 15 years. Proton DM has launched six Glonass satellites in 2010, and the injection accuracy was very high.”

Perminov said the Dec. 5 launch used a Block DM with a newly modified, digital control system, and that this could be one focus of the board of inquiry. But he cautioned it was too soon to point to any single cause.

After a major government investment to return the Glonass constellation to full service over Russian territory, and then to a global utility on par with the U.S. GPS navigation and timing constellation, the Glonass system now counts 20 operational satellites and two in-orbit spares, Perminov said. While only 18 operational satellites are needed for full Russian coverage, it takes 24 to provide a global service.

With a Glonass-K satellite launching aboard a Soyuz vehicle with a Fregat upper stage from northern Russia’s Plesetsk spaceport in the coming weeks, and the integration of the two in-orbit spares, the constellation will have 23 operational spacecraft.

ISS Reshtnev is completing another Glonass satellite, presumably a Glonass-K version, that Perminov said would be ready for launch in three or four months. The possibility of accelerating production of other Glonass satellites is under study, he said.

http://www.spacenews.com/launch/101207-russia-suspends-proton-launches.html

Failure of upper unit (not actual Proton) may have been programming problem

Ka-Sat Countdown / procedures continuing
    Report due on 12th or 13th Dec.
    http://www.techtir.ie/blog/watty/ka-sat-countdown#comment-1004356
    see http://www.satnews.com

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dmm1000

with such a major hardware and financial loss regarding the recent failed satellite launch attempt - do you think they will be extra dilligent and possibly end up rerunning their battery of tests over and over and doing extra checks before they go ahead with the upcoming Kasat / Saorsat launch - scheduled before Xmas - which might result in it being postponed until well into the New Year ?

It looks like its all systems go so far though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 semper fidelis

Hi. This is my first time to post here so please bear with me if I am doing it wrong. I am retired home from the US these past eighteen months. Although I was born and bred in Connemara I have spent most of my life in the States where I spent twenty years in the telecoms business the last ten being on satellite broadband/tv. I have not posted here before but I have been viewing all the posts on satellite stuff over the past twelve months as, being retired I need an interest to stop my brain from stagnating.
    The first thing that I find amazing about the forums here in Ireland is that quite a number of posters have their own commercial agendas which they are blatantly pushing. This would never be allowed in the forums in the States – the Moderators would intervene immediately. I have not seen any Moderator intervention here in Ireland at all.
    One guy runs a satellite shop and, as far as I can see he uses these forums as a marketing base for his products. Another guy has formed an installers association and is looking for members ( I hope that he can install better than he can spell ! ). His message is that the ordinary Joe who wants to buy a system should not deal with anybody unless they are a member of his association ie. more covert marketing.
    At least these guys are upfront about it and state their case openly.
    Then there are other guys who seem to have a covert marketing agenda which they push constantly on these forums. As I said before they would never get away with this in the States but I suppose good luck to them if they can do it here.
    As an example I would refer to a guy called Watty who seems to be the self styled Guru of these forums and seems to have an opinion on absolutely everything and these opinions seem to be accepted as Gospel truth by most of the people who frequent these forums.
    He may know the technical ins and outs of wireless but he sure as hell don’t know jack**** about satellite technology particularly KA band spot beam technology. As somebody who has worked at the cutting edge of this technology for the past four years in the States I like to think that I know what I am talking about.
    According to one of his recent posts Watty is a failed entrepreneur. According to himself he set up three enterprises which failed and he was involved in three others which also failed. In other words he struck out six times out of six ! On the basis that this guy seems to average about 3000 posts per year I don’t wonder at his businesses failing – he is spending too much time on theses forums and not enough time running his business ! How can a six times failed businessman hold forth and give advice to the rank and file ?
    It would appear that he is on some sort of a retainer to push certain products. During the past twelve months (perhaps longer but I can only speak for the time I have been looking at these posts ) he seems to have been pushing Digiweb very forcefully once anybody suggested getting satellite broadband installed. As far as I can remember some months ago another poster pulled him up on this very question as to how much he was being paid for pushing Digiweb products - does he work for Digiweb ? (by the way I don’t know who Digiweb are, whether they are good or bad - I only know that they seem to be getting loads of free publicity on these forums courtesy of this guy Watty! ).
    Then along came SaorSat and Watty really went to town.
    I have,nt been back in the country long enough to know who this guy Hayes is in the RTE mob. Is he one of the foot soldiers delivering his masters message or is he the Don ? If he is the Don then he must think that he is politically untouchable . Only someone with a lot of clout puts the boot into a Select Senate Committee (or whatever it is called over here) by telling them that the reason for the cock up resulting in the non provision of commercial DTT was themselves not allowing RTE to do it 5 years ago in the manner that RTE had requested. I am sure that politicians over here are no different than in the USA. They all have long memories and little black books and I would say that because of this Mr Hayes’ will be kinda stopped at where he is in the promotion ladder. Hayes on behalf of RTE came clean and said that they could not fulfil the remit as placed on them by the 2009 Broadcasting Act of bringing DTT to all the population in Ireland and that they were going to miss this target by about 2% of dwellings. When I said that he came clean this was not entirely true. In fact this is one of the areas in which I agree with Mr Watty. Looking at the network presently planned by RTE I would suggest that they are going to miss the target by about 15%.
    Hayes conceded that the last 2% was going to have to be served by a new type of free to air satellite system courtesy of a new KA Band satellite system with a spot beam directly over Ireland thus satisfying the rights holders of all the imported content on the basis that it would serve Ireland alone and would not extend into any other geographic region. This was an enormous load of horse**** but it seems that nobody on the Select Committee had the technical nous to challenge this ridiculous statement. Watty however was in like a flash with the statement that Hayes was talking horse**** and that all you would need in order to get reception in the UK was a bigger dish. Once again I agreed with Watty.
    But then a strange thing happened. Like St Paul on the road to Damascus Watty was converted ! Not alone was he converted to the Hayes brand of technological mumbo jumbo but he now obviously had a new patron – Eutelsat.
    Last week somebody posted that the Avanti KA Band satellite had a successful launch. Quick as a flash Watty was in with the comment that “the Avanti bird was a toy compared to KA Sat “. How does he know ? Has he seen both satellites ? As far as I can see from technical postings on other sites KA Sat weighs 6 tons. The Avanti bird weighs 3 tons. Not exactly a “toy” in comparison. Having cost these guys in the order of $200,000,000 to get it up there it is not toy money neither. Dont forget big is not always beautiful and definitely not always best.
    He is pushing Eutelsat so hard that one must assume that his deal with Digiweb is off and that a new deal has been struck with Eutelsat – or maybe he is good enough to have both deals going at the same time ! Nonetheless like St Paul he has seen the light. He has now come up with diagrams and pictures etc. to show that the beam over Ireland will in fact not go any further than Ireland. Obviously Eutelsat has provided him with the latest gem of information to the effect that the beam over Calais which is on the same frequency as the beam over Ireland will have it’s power turned up to the full so that it will reach the west coast of the UK and will block any transmission from the Irish beam reaching the shores of England. What a load of bolloney !
    Despite the fact that Mr Hayes did not mention who the proposed KA Band provider was going to be Mr Watty categorically insisted that it was going to be the Eutelsat bird called KA Sat and it would operate at an orbital position of 9 degrees east.
    As someone who has actually worked on the technology being used by Eutelsat (and not somebody who has learned about it from Wikipedia) I can state categorically that Watty’s/Eutelsat’s suggestions are pure and utter horse manure. Before I show how much methane is being created here I am still curious as to how Watty knows that it is Eutelsat who are in the frame here – have they told him ? Certainly this guy Hayes has not said who it is so why is Watty so adamant that it is Eutelsat ?
    Avanti are also in the KA Band business. My ancestors are part Italian and Avanti in Italian means “enter” or “come in” - what a stupid name to have for a telecommunications company ! Nonetheless they should be considered front runners as their KA Band spot beam satellite is , already in orbit. It is called Hylas 1 (if Avanti is a stupid name for a telco. who came up with this gem for the name of the satellite ? What does it mean ?) Anyway their bird is up and the Eutelsat bird still has to go up and on the basis that Eutelsat lost their last bird I guess they are sweating bricks at the moment when you take into account that instead of using the state of the art launch facilities at ArianSpace they are using the essentially out of date facilities of Soyuz. Obviously they feel that the Russian buying public need to be pandered to. By the same token I believe that their next launch is from China which will really give them lots of headaches bearing in mind the United States’ embargo on China. The bricks being passed by Eutelsat execs. must have trebled in size following last weekend’s debacle in Baikonur.
    Who represents Avanti in Ireland ? Why are’nt they kicking Watty’s ass and taking him to task over his “know it all” statements ? Then again maybe they are cleverer than anybody and they are the people who are dealing with RTE and they are sitting back smugly and saying nothing ?
    Now to get back to Watty’s “theories”. Wild Blue, whose technology Eutelsat are using have spot beams covering the USA. Each beam is about 300 miles in diameter. Beam sizes can be set larger but this has to be decided at design stage (about two years before launch) and cannot be changed thereafter. Looking at the “smarties” coloured map of the proposed KA Sat beams over Europe , Eutelsat beams are about 300 miles in diameter also.
    One of these beams covers the island of Ireland so straightaway RTE have problems with rights holders as, whether we like it or not, the Northern part of this island is designated as being part of the United Kingdom and with about 1.5 million people there, this would increase the amount that RTE pays for its imported shows by about 40%. This is based on the assumption that when RTE negotiated for the rights to these shows they probably used population figures that were about twenty years old and definitely only applied to the Republic. Coupled with that is the fact that, utilising a 2’ 0” dish the present “Irish” beam covers quite a lot of the west coast of the UK. Therefore it is not rocket science to work out that a person on the outskirts of London with a 3’ 0” dish will receive all the Irish broadcasts. Having worked in the States and seen how these guys operate close up I do not think that these rights holders will be remotely interested in the “Peace Process” as we call it and hands across the border to the extent that they will allow RTE to serve another 40% of population for free !
    Watty suggests that the beam over Calais is on the same frequency as the beam over Ireland and that the guys in Eutelsat are going to throw a switch and increase the power to this beam to such an extent that they can reach over to the west coast of the UK and thus block out any transmission from the Irish beam accessing the island of Great Britain. Is this guy on magic mushrooms or what ??? In the first instance the Irish beam is going to be on maximum power at almost all times. In case you guys have forgotten when it rains in Ireland it damn well rains and this occurs for quite a large portion of the year so it is maximum settings on the Irish beam for at least 75% of the time. This results in the beam access reaching as far as middle England without any increase in dish size. By increasing the dish size this would mean that the whole of England and Wales and almost all of Scotland would be covered. But wait ! – what about Watty’s theory about turning up the power on the French beam ?? Let us see this for what it is – utter and absolute bolloney for the following reasons. The power addition is limited to about 40% so an increase of power on the French beam would just about reach London no more and if by some miracle it managed to drive further it would meet the equally upsurged Irish beam somewhere in middle England.
    If, for a moment we go back into fantasy land with Mr Watty’s theory and assume that Eutelsat could wave a magic wand and power up the French beam to such an extent that it could go as far as the Island of Anglesey and stop the Irish beam from reaching what the Brits euphemistically call “the mainland” we must also look at where else it would go. Watty is suggesting to us that Eutelsat can create a beam which is almost 1,000 miles in diameter. From personal experience I know that this is horse’s ass territory but as we are approaching Christmas let us assume that Santa Clause has weaved his magic and they can create a 1,000 mile diameter beam which can crush the Irish beam – what happens to the other side of this gigantic beam ? Those of you who would not consider yourselves “techies” but who scraped maths in your Leaving pay attention ! In order to reach the British west coast from northern France this enormous beam will also completely cover France, Belgium, Holland, Switzerland, a goodly part of Germany, Northern Spain, Northern Italy and other places that my geography is not good enough to name ! But there’s more !
    The beam that covers Ireland is a ****ty yellowy green colour indicating a particular frequency. This colour is repeated in the beam over northern Spain and also in the beam over northern Italy as well as the above mentioned beam over northern France. In my opinion the Basques will be pretty pissed off to find that their access to this great new technology has been knackered due to the fact that RTE want to serve 2% of us culchies in the west of Ireland and Eutelsat have jacked up the power in the French beam in order to do so and have thereby cut them off. More importantly I think is the beam over Turin which is the home town of Eutelsat . It is also going to be rendered ineffective by this powerful French beam so that the local Italians (many of whom probably work with Eutelsat) are not going to reap the benefits of this new technology either for the same reason. Tsk. Tsk. O the fairy tales of Ireland.
    The laws of physics are such that a circular beam when enlarged by whatever means possible will expand in equal proportions in all directions simultaneously.
    Lets face it – Watty’s theory is a load of crud pure and simple.
    I forget to state – I don’t work for Avanti or for any telco. in Ireland. Having been surrounded by loudmouths in the States for more years than I care to remember I don’t want to see that emerging here in Ireland and I don’t want to see a small company getting buried by the resources of a large conglomerate. I have seen too much of that in the States.
    As I said before – where are the guys from Avanti ? Why are you not in there fighting your corner ? Or is the fight over already and we don’t know about it ??
    I have just looked back on the size of this post – it shows what you can do when you have plenty of time on your hands ! Sorry about that guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

tltr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

I have just looked back on the size of this post – it shows what you can do when you have plenty of time on your hands ! Sorry about that guys.[/FONT][/SIZE]
    So - if you have that much time on your hands, who not contribute to this and other fora where your apparent expertise and (real?) experience would be appreciated?
    By contribute I mean contribute, not rant. Watty contributes, whatever his secret agenda.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

@ semper fidelis. Regarding the technical nature of some of the matters under discussion here, you obviously have different opinions than other users of this forum and while your knowledge and opinion may or may not be valid your opinions are discredited when you launch personal attacks on members.

Regarding commercial users on this forum of which there are a number they provide free advise and do not actively promote themselves. I for one think they add greatly to the forum and the forum is a better place for having them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Wow... this thread is about to go DEFCON 1 (or 5) - whichever is the bad one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

fat-tony wrote: »

Hell of a first post though:)

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

As it's inevitable that a moderator will be along shortly, can this thread please not be locked?

There is a lot of useful information contained in the previous posts. Perhaps the 'secret agenda' stuff could be moved to a different thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dmm1000

@semper fidelis - I think you have no real justification for discrediting other very experienced, knowledgeable and helpful posters
    If you do know who the "Saorsat" contract will or will not go to - then I look forward to being educated by your technical knowledge and future posts on all of these matters -

Only time will tell if your first post was :-

1. the emergence of the latest technical "guru" to hit these forums - OR

2. simply a (sometimes comedic) bolt out of the blue designed to have a
    swipe at another member and that we'll seldom hear from you again

my hunch is option 2 :)

I didn't boast about my successful ventures. Most R&D startups and projects come to nothing. About 75% of them or more.

Most new food places and Clothes shops fail within 2 years.
    None of that is relevant to technical competence. Most places that "fail" can't be saved by the employees.

I think about 20mins into Oireachtas Presentation I realised that they must be talking about ka-Sat. The 70Gbps Internet beast. It's scheme of polarisation & sub-band reuse means that dish size is irrelevant to London reception of Irish Spot. Even if Calais French spot is much weaker. All the spots are from the same satellite. Spots of the same Polarity and band likely come from the same dish (there are four) via separate offset feeds.

http://www.techtir.ie/blog/watty/ka-sat-countdown#comment-1004358

"Avanti's Hylas 1" versus "Viasat/Eutelsat Ka-Sat."

Hylas 1. Largely ESA funded it's an experimental platform. It's Avanti's 1st space craft and sensibly they have partnered with Hughes to sell the Broadband capacity. It will also be used on Ku for TV and Teleconferencing. Avanti is also a Media Company.
    The Ka will be used to provide Internet and Military communications

Avanti and Three Ireland did agree to use it for the NBS. Eamon Ryan has just announced the completion of the NBS. Hylas1 has not entered serivce yet. Before Tender was even awarded for NBS I spoke with Avanti people. I and others in the Industry thought that the Falcon 9 was a very high risk and that in any case the Hylas1 would not enter service in Time.

ESA also got cold feet and Falcon 9 was behind schedule so extra money was found to fund Ariane or Soyuz launch. I'm pleased the launch is a success and hope the Hylas 1 can enter service in January.
    The Hylas1 will also be a "Test Bed" for Astrium

The technology test-bed comprises a dedicated secure laboratory facility equipped with RF, modem and encryption and routing equipment which will enable government and military customers to work in close collaboration with Astrium Services' engineers in testing and refining future Military Ka-band system requirements.

System tests on the satellite will cover military use of Ka-band including tactical and comms on the move (CoTM) terminals in field locations. It will be based in Stevenage in UK and use proven in-house system and terminal capabilities supplied by Astrium Secure Satcom Systems

Astrium Services CEO Eric Beranger said: "As the world's first provider of military grade secure satellite communications to government customers we are continually looking at how to improve our services and solutions. Our goal with the technology test-bed and the capacity lease on Hylas 1 is to test and validate potential future service opportunities to give our existing and future customers an edge over the competition.

There are two Ka beams over British Isles, two over Spain and Portugal and four over the east of Europe, including Italy.
    Total of EIGHT ka wide beams
    The pair of ka beams over Ireland and UK are too wide for RTE NL use.

The Ka-sat is based on technology tested on Hotbird 6 (it has 4 x Ka Spots) and in commercial service on two satellites providing the "Wildblue" 60+ ka spot service.
    It's not a prototype or test bed. It's a partnership of Viasat and Eutelsat. Both very large experienced players.

It has over 80 Ka-Spots by using 20+ offset feeds on four large antenna. It has extremely large Solar panels

Space and weight is saved by having no Ku feeds or equipment.
    A Ku Feed is about 3/4" (about 18mm) and ka Feed about 1/2" (about 11mm) I think.

Ka-Sat signals are mostly DOCSIS ACM and thus downlink spots are normally depending on the rain fade to set power.

The actual size of the spots may be twice the size indicated. The limit is the degradation of signal due to another the same from a different spot. The illustrated outlines are where the interfering signal is so low as to give a Eb/No not much worse than normal. At mid point between any pair identical spots the signal is equally from two different spots. Some point between the mid point and the illustrated outline the Eb/No is too poor due to the unwanted spot.

There is no special "jacking up of power". For equal spot spacing the powers all have to be approximately the same. The spots have to be small enough (big enough dish on satellite) that at full power (heavy rain) the next spot on same polarisation and frequency is not experiencing too much interference. Dish size on the ground is no help.

The point is that the French and Irish Spots are same band and same polarity and FROM THE SAME PLACE IN THE SKY. Even if the French spot was 1/2 the power of the Irish one, if you put a big dish in London and point it at the satellite @9E, the French spot is nearer so will be MUCH stronger than the Irish one

120204.png
    The French spot could even be 1/3rd of Irish spot power and no way in London can you get a clean signal. The bigger your dish the more French spot you get. It's from the SAME place in the sky!

With a big enough dish you can separate 28.2 & 28.5. You can only separate the French and Irish spots by moving close enough to one place or the other. Because they are from the same satellite!

The red line I have drawn is an estimated point where no matter how big a dish you have, even 1.8 or 3.6m, you are picking up enough French signal, even if it's slightly lower power on same frequency and polarity that the Eb/No is far too low for Irish Reception. The two spots come from the same spacecraft.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69244770&postcount=830
    http://www.techtir.ie/blog/watty/hylas-launch
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1399642

http://www.techtir.ie/blog/watty/ka-sat-countdown
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1393535
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1298375

There has been much discussion as to why it's not economically feasible for Irish TV to be on a wider Beam. In fact RTE NL do not really seem to regard Saorsat as a satellite service in the normal sense at all. It's for the 2% (RTE figure) to 5% (or maybe 10% if they cut back on the 52 sites?) approx that don't get DTT. So they can build 52 DTT sites instead of 90, 140, 170 or 188 (there are 170+ analogue sites today).

I wonder had "semper fidelis" any connection to "Real Digital TV"?

http://www.techtir.ie/blog/loguey/is-saorsat-innovation-or-blocking
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1313867

So on Ka Band the "Ka-Sat" single function satellite is established tested technology with x10 capacity at least of the "Hylas1" which is a multipurpose satellite with Testing and Military applications as well as Ku band. It's only a "toy" in the context of Ka-Sat's 70Gbps capacity, the most powerful satellite ever. Though not yet launched. Obviously Hylas1 is a very advanced Satellite and it brings Avanti to a whole new level in the Space game.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tjspock

mother of god what a dinger of a first post:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Hi. This is my first time to post here so please bear with me if I am doing it wrong. I am retired home from the US these past eighteen months. Although I was born and bred in Connemara I have spent most of my life in the States where I spent twenty years in the telecoms business the last ten being on satellite broadband/tv. I have not posted here before but I have been viewing all the posts on satellite stuff over the past twelve months as, being retired I need an interest to stop my brain from stagnating.
    The first thing that I find amazing about the forums here in Ireland is that quite a number of posters have their own commercial agendas which they are blatantly pushing. This would never be allowed in the forums in the States – the Moderators would intervene immediately. I have not seen any Moderator intervention here in Ireland at all.
    One guy runs a satellite shop and, as far as I can see he uses these forums as a marketing base for his products. Another guy has formed an installers association and is looking for members ( I hope that he can install better than he can spell ! ). His message is that the ordinary Joe who wants to buy a system should not deal with anybody unless they are a member of his association ie. more covert marketing.
    Then there are other guys who seem to have a covert marketing agenda which they push constantly on these forums. As I said before they would never get away with this in the States but I suppose good luck to them if they can do it here.
    As an example I would refer to a guy called Watty who seems to be the self styled Guru of these forums and seems to have an opinion on absolutely everything and these opinions seem to be accepted as Gospel truth by most of the people who frequent these forums.
    He may know the technical ins and outs of wireless but he sure as hell don’t know jack**** about satellite technology particularly KA band spot beam technology. As somebody who has worked at the cutting edge of this technology for the past four years in the States I like to think that I know what I am talking about.
    According to one of his recent posts Watty is a failed entrepreneur. According to himself he set up three enterprises which failed and he was involved in three others which also failed. In other words he struck out six times out of six ! On the basis that this guy seems to average about 3000 posts per year I don’t wonder at his businesses failing – he is spending too much time on theses forums and not enough time running his business ! How can a six times failed businessman hold forth and give advice to the rank and file ?
    It would appear that he is on some sort of a retainer to push certain products. During the past twelve months (perhaps longer but I can only speak for the time I have been looking at these posts ) he seems to have been pushing Digiweb very forcefully once anybody suggested getting satellite broadband installed. As far as I can remember some months ago another poster pulled him up on this very question as to how much he was being paid for pushing Digiweb products - does he work for Digiweb ? (by the way I don’t know who Digiweb are, whether they are good or bad - I only know that they seem to be getting loads of free publicity on these forums courtesy of this guy Watty! ).
    I have,nt been back in the country long enough to know who this guy Hayes is in the RTE mob. Is he one of the foot soldiers delivering his masters message or is he the Don ? If he is the Don then he must think that he is politically untouchable . Only someone with a lot of clout puts the boot into a Select Senate Committee (or whatever it is called over here) by telling them that the reason for the cock up resulting in the non provision of commercial DTT was themselves not allowing RTE to do it 5 years ago in the manner that RTE had requested. I am sure that politicians over here are no different than in the USA. They all have long memories and little black books and I would say that because of this Mr Hayes’ will be kinda stopped at where he is in the promotion ladder. Hayes on behalf of RTE came clean and said that they could not fulfil the remit as placed on them by the 2009 Broadcasting Act of bringing DTT to all the population in Ireland and that they were going to miss this target by about 2% of dwellings. When I said that he came clean this was not entirely true. In fact this is one of the areas in which I agree with Mr Watty. Looking at the network presently planned by RTE I would suggest that they are going to miss the target by about 15%.
    Hayes conceded that the last 2% was going to have to be served by a new type of free to air satellite system courtesy of a new KA Band satellite system with a spot beam directly over Ireland thus satisfying the rights holders of all the imported content on the basis that it would serve Ireland alone and would not extend into any other geographic region. This was an enormous load of horse**** but it seems that nobody on the Select Committee had the technical nous to challenge this ridiculous statement. Watty however was in like a flash with the statement that Hayes was talking horse**** and that all you would need in order to get reception in the UK was a bigger dish. Once again I agreed with Watty.
    But then a strange thing happened. Like St Paul on the road to Damascus Watty was converted ! Not alone was he converted to the Hayes brand of technological mumbo jumbo but he now obviously had a new patron – Eutelsat.
    Last week somebody posted that the Avanti KA Band satellite had a successful launch. Quick as a flash Watty was in with the comment that “the Avanti bird was a toy compared to KA Sat “. How does he know ? Has he seen both satellites ? As far as I can see from technical postings on other sites KA Sat weighs 6 tons. The Avanti bird weighs 3 tons. Not exactly a “toy” in comparison. Having cost these guys in the order of $200,000,000 to get it up there it is not toy money neither. Dont forget big is not always beautiful and definitely not always best.
    He is pushing Eutelsat so hard that one must assume that his deal with Digiweb is off and that a new deal has been struck with Eutelsat – or maybe he is good enough to have both deals going at the same time ! Nonetheless like St Paul he has seen the light. He has now come up with diagrams and pictures etc. to show that the beam over Ireland will in fact not go any further than Ireland. Obviously Eutelsat has provided him with the latest gem of information to the effect that the beam over Calais which is on the same frequency as the beam over Ireland will have it’s power turned up to the full so that it will reach the west coast of the UK and will block any transmission from the Irish beam reaching the shores of England. What a load of bolloney !
    Despite the fact that Mr Hayes did not mention who the proposed KA Band provider was going to be Mr Watty categorically insisted that it was going to be the Eutelsat bird called KA Sat and it would operate at an orbital position of 9 degrees east.
    As someone who has actually worked on the technology being used by Eutelsat (and not somebody who has learned about it from Wikipedia) I can state categorically that Watty’s/Eutelsat’s suggestions are pure and utter horse manure. Before I show how much methane is being created here I am still curious as to how Watty knows that it is Eutelsat who are in the frame here – have they told him ? Certainly this guy Hayes has not said who it is so why is Watty so adamant that it is Eutelsat ?
    Avanti are also in the KA Band business. My ancestors are part Italian and Avanti in Italian means “enter” or “come in” - what a stupid name to have for a telecommunications company ! Nonetheless they should be considered front runners as their KA Band spot beam satellite is , already in orbit. It is called Hylas 1 (if Avanti is a stupid name for a telco. who came up with this gem for the name of the satellite ? What does it mean ?) Anyway their bird is up and the Eutelsat bird still has to go up and on the basis that Eutelsat lost their last bird I guess they are sweating bricks at the moment when you take into account that instead of using the state of the art launch facilities at ArianSpace they are using the essentially out of date facilities of Soyuz. Obviously they feel that the Russian buying public need to be pandered to. By the same token I believe that their next launch is from China which will really give them lots of headaches bearing in mind the United States’ embargo on China. The bricks being passed by Eutelsat execs. must have trebled in size following last weekend’s debacle in Baikonur.
    Who represents Avanti in Ireland ? Why are’nt they kicking Watty’s ass and taking him to task over his “know it all” statements ? Then again maybe they are cleverer than anybody and they are the people who are dealing with RTE and they are sitting back smugly and saying nothing ?
    Now to get back to Watty’s “theories”. Wild Blue, whose technology Eutelsat are using have spot beams covering the USA. Each beam is about 300 miles in diameter. Beam sizes can be set larger but this has to be decided at design stage (about two years before launch) and cannot be changed thereafter. Looking at the “smarties” coloured map of the proposed KA Sat beams over Europe , Eutelsat beams are about 300 miles in diameter also.
    One of these beams covers the island of Ireland so straightaway RTE have problems with rights holders as, whether we like it or not, the Northern part of this island is designated as being part of the United Kingdom and with about 1.5 million people there, this would increase the amount that RTE pays for its imported shows by about 40%. This is based on the assumption that when RTE negotiated for the rights to these shows they probably used population figures that were about twenty years old and definitely only applied to the Republic. Coupled with that is the fact that, utilising a 2’ 0” dish the present “Irish” beam covers quite a lot of the west coast of the UK. Therefore it is not rocket science to work out that a person on the outskirts of London with a 3’ 0” dish will receive all the Irish broadcasts. Having worked in the States and seen how these guys operate close up I do not think that these rights holders will be remotely interested in the “Peace Process” as we call it and hands across the border to the extent that they will allow RTE to serve another 40% of population for free !
    Watty suggests that the beam over Calais is on the same frequency as the beam over Ireland and that the guys in Eutelsat are going to throw a switch and increase the power to this beam to such an extent that they can reach over to the west coast of the UK and thus block out any transmission from the Irish beam accessing the island of Great Britain. Is this guy on magic mushrooms or what ??? In the first instance the Irish beam is going to be on maximum power at almost all times. In case you guys have forgotten when it rains in Ireland it damn well rains and this occurs for quite a large portion of the year so it is maximum settings on the Irish beam for at least 75% of the time. This results in the beam access reaching as far as middle England without any increase in dish size. By increasing the dish size this would mean that the whole of England and Wales and almost all of Scotland would be covered. But wait ! – what about Watty’s theory about turning up the power on the French beam ?? Let us see this for what it is – utter and absolute bolloney for the following reasons. The power addition is limited to about 40% so an increase of power on the French beam would just about reach London no more and if by some miracle it managed to drive further it would meet the equally upsurged Irish beam somewhere in middle England.
    If, for a moment we go back into fantasy land with Mr Watty’s theory and assume that Eutelsat could wave a magic wand and power up the French beam to such an extent that it could go as far as the Island of Anglesey and stop the Irish beam from reaching what the Brits euphemistically call “the mainland” we must also look at where else it would go. Watty is suggesting to us that Eutelsat can create a beam which is almost 1,000 miles in diameter. From personal experience I know that this is horse’s ass territory but as we are approaching Christmas let us assume that Santa Clause has weaved his magic and they can create a 1,000 mile diameter beam which can crush the Irish beam – what happens to the other side of this gigantic beam ? Those of you who would not consider yourselves “techies” but who scraped maths in your Leaving pay attention ! In order to reach the British west coast from northern France this enormous beam will also completely cover France, Belgium, Holland, Switzerland, a goodly part of Germany, Northern Spain, Northern Italy and other places that my geography is not good enough to name ! But there’s more !
    The beam that covers Ireland is a ****ty yellowy green colour indicating a particular frequency. This colour is repeated in the beam over northern Spain and also in the beam over northern Italy as well as the above mentioned beam over northern France. In my opinion the Basques will be pretty pissed off to find that their access to this great new technology has been knackered due to the fact that RTE want to serve 2% of us culchies in the west of Ireland and Eutelsat have jacked up the power in the French beam in order to do so and have thereby cut them off. More importantly I think is the beam over Turin which is the home town of Eutelsat . It is also going to be rendered ineffective by this powerful French beam so that the local Italians (many of whom probably work with Eutelsat) are not going to reap the benefits of this new technology either for the same reason. Tsk. Tsk. O the fairy tales of Ireland.
    The laws of physics are such that a circular beam when enlarged by whatever means possible will expand in equal proportions in all directions simultaneously.
    I forget to state – I don’t work for Avanti or for any telco. in Ireland. Having been surrounded by loudmouths in the States for more years than I care to remember I don’t want to see that emerging here in Ireland and I don’t want to see a small company getting buried by the resources of a large conglomerate. I have seen too much of that in the States.
    As I said before – where are the guys from Avanti ? Why are you not in there fighting your corner ? Or is the fight over already and we don’t know about it ??
    I have just looked back on the size of this post – it shows what you can do when you have plenty of time on your hands ! Sorry about that guys.

Wow, just wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

It's true what they say............. everything is bigger over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

mikom wrote: »
    It's true what they say............. everything is bigger over there.

Its true for the font size on this occasion.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 15,488 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

My eyes hurt :D

A paragraph or three would be good.

Deserves a thread of it's own somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

If his post gets quoted a few more times this could be the longest page on boards.ie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,488 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

According to one of his recent posts Watty is a failed entrepreneur. According to himself he set up three enterprises which failed and he was involved in three others which also failed. In other words he struck out six times out of six !

On this side of the Atlantic we are constantly being told that in the States if you fail in business and get up start again and again, this is seen as a badge of honour (or honor). Guess this only applies if you're American.

Welcome home to the land of the begrudger semper fidelis.

A Proton-M rocket that failed to launch 3 GPS satellites on December 5 could have been too heavy, say local investigators. The rocket crashed into the Pacific Ocean destroying its important cargo, and forcing Russian officials to suspend all Proton launches while they determine what went wrong.

Russia’s Interfax news agency reported that one theory that the rocket’s DM-03 upper stage was carrying one tonne of fuel more than was necessary. This had the effect of slowing the rocket down, by about 100 metres per second, and thus insufficient to reach its target transfer orbit.

The Board of Investigation has yet to report on its examination of the disaster, but the delay could impact the launch of Eutelsat’s important Ka-Sat craft scheduled for December 20.

http://www.advanced-television.tv/index.php/2010/12/09/failed-russian-rocket-was-“too-heavy”/

From the blog posts at least, it looks like launch is still proceeding.
    KA-SAT Joint Ops

Posted by ILS Launch Team 6:01 a.m EST on 8 December 2010

We started joint operations yesterday afternoon. It was a long day, but all parties did a great job and worked very hard to get the spacecraft (SC) mated to the payload adapter (PLA). Today the SC/PLA stack was mated to the Breeze M and is vertical in Hall 101 undergoing joint electrical testing. It’s awesome to see the SC mated to the Breeze M. The great thing about joint ops starting is that we are getting closer to the launch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Yes its Eutelsat. Yes its 9E. No its not avanti. Ka is new within Europe for DTH (outside France but they are prone to cheating).

I would like to know the basis you have worked out the 15%drop, Mr big font guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Your first time to post. A nasty post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭JDxtra

This is my first time to post here so please bear with me if I am doing it wrong.
    You did it wrong. This ain't the conspiracy theories forum.

On your first post you completely slated long time posters and contributors to this forum. Good start! Regardless of your supposed background and experience, this comes across as arrogant and rude.

It may be best to not let your opinions build up over a year only for them to blurted out in a single post. Bite size opinions are easier to digest and respond to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

fat-tony wrote: »

Defcon 1 means that war is highly likely and prepare for strategic nuclear weapons launch, while 5 is peace, happiness and similar fluffy thoughts........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

RED ALERT Captain :P:P:D Opinion Incoming :P

mr semper fidelis: thought rte had the rights to show all thier tv programs across the whole ireland of ireland? and is it not in thier chater to provide their servece for the whole island so if thats the case then a spot beam over the whole of ireland should be ok?

Even if there is overspill in the uk and i doubt there will be much if i understand the basics of the technology...rights shouldnt be a big issue (we get freeview on the east and north here and the uk channels havent being hung over it as of yet)

as for the Ka tech debate i wont pretent to know anything about Ka except that it supports DVB S and DVB S2 for HD content (same as astra wide beem Ku - i think its Ku and C band to a marginal extent) since i only have looked into astra technology since im a avid 19.2e and 28.2e viewer and put up my own equipment :P

semper fidelis: my one tip dude - even though youre post was very informative - it was also insulting in the manner in which you challenged other views....be respectful and the conversation will go far more constructively (even if opinions are tied into marketing or not...we average joes should and can distungish the difference between an honost opinion and an advert no matter how suttle (we dont need a opinion police service as of yet - let people decide themselves :P )

:D

I have run out of Attachment upload space here. So sorry, offsite link.

Which bits were informative of this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69476684&postcount=847 ?
    (Curious minds want to know)

Also updated here with new link http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69479696&postcount=855

OT
    BTW I wote a full length novel in 10 days once. I type fast. So spread over nearly 10 years my posts are not that much time wasted.
    I built www.saortv.info in a morning. Added a little since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

watty wrote: »
    I have run out of Attachment upload space here. So sorry, offsite link.

Which bits were informative of this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69476684&postcount=847 ?
    (Curious minds want to know)

Also updated here with new link http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69479696&postcount=855

OT
    BTW I wote a full length novel in 10 days once. I type fast. So spread over nearly 10 years my posts are not that much time wasted.
    I built www.saortv.info in a morning. Added a little since.

It was said in scarcasm in all honesty (ill make sure to put it in brackets in future :P) Sorry!

Detailed analysis suggests a rant and a certain dislike for you and your failed enterprises (only noting what was said)- still how can we be sure taht the spot beams will operate to ensure limited range and arent the individual spots power effected by the number of spots using the same frequency and the proximity of these spots to each other? (as i said i am not familiar with this spot beam technology besides teh articles you kindly provided watty on boards plus i am not familiar with the rsults of the spot beams employed in the states so....)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement