Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets create a Massive new Limerick Festival?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Gwan Zuroph :D

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭purplesnack

How about an annual city chase www.citychase.com
    Looks like there was one planned for Limerick and Dublin in 2010 but seems to have been postponed for some reason.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Never heard of that before. Tell us a bit more about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭purplesnack

These are urban adventure races that are organised all over the world by different groups - City chase being one and Great Urban Race being another (www.greaturbanarace.com). Some seem to be more competitive than others but basically teams have to go all over the city by foot or using public transport (:)) only, solving clues and completing different tasks. It's basically a large-scale treasure hunt but I think it could make a fantastic family day out. I emailed the Limerick Coordination Office about it a few years ago but didn't get any response.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

I think a massive festival might be counter-productive....as in all the cash concentrated at one point and famine for the months on either side....

Perhaps a few smaller festivals? dotted throughout the calendar? Say one every quarter? Or every 1-2 months?

Mardi Gras would do for summer

Pig n Porter, except play across city's clubs?

Oktoberfest/Septemberfest? Not like we've a shortage of bars? Centralise around the Market or Bedford Row or somewhere.

Zombie Festival around Halloween?

Boat racing on the Shannon? Could be something similar to the Liffey Descent

An arts festival? Few really nice smallish theatres there, great community, week long festival or a long weekend. A parade like Macnas or something exotic?? Fire breathing is always a hit.

There's already a series of vintage rally days around the place every so often. Why not hold a really big one over a Bank Holiday Weekend or something?

Anyway there's plenty of ideas, but I do think that the calendar needs more smaller events as opposed to one massive one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

constantg wrote: »
    ........Anyway there's plenty of ideas, but I do think that the calendar needs more smaller events as opposed to one massive one!

No - One massive one first and then when we are up to our eyeballs in ca$h we can wander around in our white suits and wide-brimmed, purple feathered pimp hats organising the smaller ones you desire.

Raiser wrote: »
    No - One massive one first and then when we are up to our eyeballs in ca$h we can wander around in our white suits and wide-brimmed, purple feathered pimp hats organising the smaller ones you desire.

eh, i'm not quite sure what point you're making about my post....but if you're into dressing like a pimp when you're loaded with cash, then rock on sure.

I don't think i suggested anything too wide of the mark....

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Mardi Gras would do for summer

Oktoberfest/Septemberfest? Not like we've a shortage of bars? Centralise around the Market or Bedford Row or somewhere.

Festivals based around drinking might be a bad idea in this town. Look at the last Mardi Gras. Shamtoberfest would be armageddon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

eh, i'm not quite sure what point you're making about my post....

Just joking - You made some good points.
    But if you're into dressing like a pimp when you're loaded with cash, then rock on sure.

Then you say this like its a bad thing :eek:

Raiser wrote: »
    Just joking - You made some good points.

Then you say this like its a bad thing :eek:

We could just charge more into ICON and extend it to a massive street party....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Said this here before, but a proper music festival incorporating Thomond Park as main venue/stage and use King John's Castle and/or the Big top as the other venue. Maybe in conjunction with Riverfest.

Advertisement