Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets create a Massive new Limerick Festival?

Options
  • 14-07-2010 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

As the title says - Lets create a Massive new Limerick Festival!!!

- I was reading headlines driven by the famed "Running of the Bulls" in Pamplona and suddenly realised that we already have the three key ingredients in place: Streets, Farm Animals and Gobshítes, in fact we have a significant and expendable surplus of all three.....

I cannot see any reason why we can't emulate the success of this ridiculous Festival and thus draw hundreds of thousands of drunken, conscienceless Idiots into our City to drunkenly spend idiotic amounts of money?

I don't want to hear back from whatever constitutes the exact opposite to an exuberant and driven Visionary, instead I want to hear talk of Street closures and how best to administer amphetamines to carnivorous killer Livestock.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

:cool:
    Raiser wrote: »

- I was reading headlines driven by the famed "Running of the Bulls" in Pamplona and suddenly realised that we already have the three key ingredients in place: Streets, Farm Animals and Gobshítes, in fact we have a significant and expendable surplus of all three.....

I cannot see any reason why we can't emulate the success of this ridiculous Festival and thus draw hundreds of thousands of drunken, conscienceless Idiots into our City to drunkenly spend idiotic amounts of money?

I don't want to hear back from whatever constitutes the exact opposite to an exuberant and driven Visionary, instead I want to hear talk of Street closures and how best to administer amphetamines to carnivorous killer Livestock.

I'd be afraid to start and write anything, full support tho!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

lol true ken what do you say to that I agree !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

i think you just missed the mardi gras and got angry! :D

i think realistically it should be sports orientated, seen as were now the sporting capital of europe! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

dave 27 wrote: »
    i think realistically it should be sports orientated, seen as were now the sporting capital of europe! :cool:

Your right, how about 'The Running of the Bull'? we get John Hayes very angry, strap a pair of horns to the auld chrome dome and run around the Peoples Park with him chasing us? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Forgetting the festival in Rosbrien??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    Your right, how about 'The Running of the Bull'? we get John Hayes very angry, strap a pair of horns to the auld chrome dome and run around the Peoples Park with him chasing us? :)

lol i love that !!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

Mc Love wrote: »
    Forgetting the festival in Rosbrien??

While the Pig n'Porter is a great event, it doesn't engage with the city centre. The hotels will be busy with attendees but most of them will spend their weekend in Rosbrien (activities going all weekend long) and not in the City. I was at it last year and went out in the City Centre on the Saturday night and you'd be hard pressed to know it was going on. However, Old Crescent was wedged on the Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

While the Pig n'Porter is a great event, it doesn't engage with the city centre. The hotels will be busy with attendees but most of them will spend their weekend in Rosbrien (activities going all weekend long) and not in the City. I was at it last year and went out in the City Centre on the Saturday night and you'd be hard pressed to know it was going on. However, Old Crescent was wedged on the Saturday night.

Exactly!

You see if we get the Great Limerick Bull run off the ground there is no chance that People are not going to be aware of the Event.

I have a dream.

I dream of 50 crazed Bulls charging down O'Connell St. Limerick.

I dream of Mums throwing their Infants to safety in the Crowds before getting integrated with our main thoroughfare to a chorus of hushed Ooooooohs! and Aaaaaaaahs from the Spectators.

I see Kids with pink Candy Floss held aloft on shoulders pointing and asking Daddy why that Man has a haemorrhaging facial wound spurting like an an explosion in the Dulux Red Paint Factory.

- But most of all I see no reason why this should not happen - Perhaps Tomorrow at Midday?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

This is going on for years. We should be getting a festival that is up there with the Cork Jazz Festival.

YFlyer wrote: »
    This is going on for years. We should be getting a festival that is up there with the Cork Jazz Festival.

9 Jazz Bands hidden around Cork City and 50,000 Píssheads seeking them out while having a Pint in every Pub they pass?

- We could at least be honest and call our one the Limerick City Jazz Hunt or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Was in galway last night, the difference on the streets there is incredible, place is HEAVING every single night.

zuroph wrote: »
    Was in galway last night, the difference on the streets there is incredible, place is HEAVING every single night.

Was in Cork City a few months ago on a Saturday around the City Centre - It was pleasant, busy Streets but there was no air of doom or of menace and there was lots of People, normal, inoffensive, non-agressive and sentient People who were so obviously just there happily passing time, having a Coffee and strolling in and out of shops.

I felt like I had travelled abroad for a time.

- Then I came home :(

9 Jazz Bands hidden around Cork City and 50,000 Píssheads seeking them out while having a Pint in every Pub they pass?

- We could at least be honest and call our one the Limerick City Jazz Hunt or something.

I noticed that there are two festivals at the Cork Jazz Festivals. The one that listens to the jazz and the one that has no interest in jazz. Believe it or not, the later is more popular. There was a sign on the door of one of the bars 'no jazz music here.' The place was packed.

YFlyer wrote: »
    I noticed that there are two festivals at the Cork Jazz Festivals. The one that listens to the jazz and the one that has no interest in jazz. Believe it or not, the later is more popular. There was a sign on the door of one of the bars 'no jazz music here.' The place was packed.

Never try and second Guess a tight Cork Hoor!!!

Keith Pickett will save the day.

saw the zombie shuffle in galway last night, good laugh...

since Limerick is turning into a zombie town anyway, think we could patent the World's first ZOMBIE FESTIVAL!!

2/3 nights of everyone in zombie fancy dress, pubs can run all sort of themed drinks promos, have outdoor airings of zombie films, flash mobs doing the dance from thriller, and general zombie mischief about the town!

ZOMFEST 2011!!!

+1 On Zurophs Zombie Festival!!!!

I actually think it'd work! zombie parade, zombie films on big screen in market quarter, invite stars of zombie films, lots of street decoration, and just a weekend long party!

lol, zombie french market, insist if they set up a stall they have to be dressed as zombies. all the pubs and clubs could do the same, all the staff dressed up. heck, even the shops could get in on the act!

Know what, I think i could organise this... leave it with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

A city wide game of Humans Vs Zombies?!?!?! I played a campus wide version at UL around Halloween last year, great laugh.

There was a zombie walk in Dublin as well recently as I am sure it must have been International Zombie Day or something. Why can't Limerick be more open to silly ideas like that?

Talk Like A Pirate Day is soon approaching and I want to see SOME efoort inside the city folks! It will have a good effect on the city I swear!

zombie walk in Dublin coincided with gay pride, temple bar was quite confusing for the tourists, zombies and drag queens everywhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

+1 on the zombie festival, that'd be great fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

we could have an annual "running of the scobes":D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Icky Thump wrote: »
    we could have an annual "running of the scobes":D

Or Limericks version of Whacking Day.

arm everyone with bats and then have some speakers set up around town all blasting out Cascada and Tupac, the scobes natural audio receptors will inform their brains that theres someting daaaaaycent goin' on, and they'll flock to a point where people can batter them senseless.

Knacking Day, if you will.

The Funeral Homes will be rushing to gain sole rights to flog Coffins known as the Knack Box :p

- The Forests may well be depleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I think the Zombie theme is a great idea..... Zuroph are you goin to be able to set this up?? it'd be mad altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

How about reviving the motor races that once took place in Limerick City?? It would bring a lot of energy etc to the city.

Mc Love wrote: »
    How about reviving the motor races that once took place in Limerick City?? It would bring a lot of energy etc to the city.

Wouldn't all the revving Engines and screeching Tyres spook my Killer Bulls???

- Hmmmm - I see your point; Could be absolute mayhem, I like it :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leshogan

krudler wrote: »
    Or Limericks version of Whacking Day.

arm everyone with bats and then have some speakers set up around town all blasting out Cascada and Tupac, the scobes natural audio receptors will inform their brains that theres someting daaaaaycent goin' on, and they'll flock to a point where people can batter them senseless.

Knacking Day, if you will.

Just finished my knacker wacker, an old cricket bat with a few nails for luck, if we start at the top of Hyde Rd we can drive them toward peoples park and then whack the sh!t out of em

leshogan wrote: »
    Just finished my knacker wacker, an old cricket bat with a few nails for luck, if we start at the top of Hyde Rd we can drive them toward peoples park and then whack the sh!t out of em

Now thats Civic minded.

• Advertisement

I think the Zombie theme is a great idea..... Zuroph are you goin to be able to set this up?? it'd be mad altogether.
    rbejaq.jpg

Advertisement