Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New speed trap M50 northbound

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

jock101 wrote: »
    With Gaybo and the EU more ANPR or Gatso camera's are coming, like it or not. So the simple message is Buckle Up and Slow Down. Arrive Alive!:)

You seem to believe whatever nonsensical tripe that Gay Byrne spouts out of him. Do you work for the RSA?

Like most Irish people I would consider myself too lazy to get out and protest against political decisions but if this country fails to learn from the UK's (openly admitted!!) mistakes and does become plagued with these revenue generators, I would give serious thought to getting up off my arse and attempting to do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Dartz

SGKM wrote: »
    You seem to believe whatever nonsensical tripe that Gay Byrne spouts out of him. Do you work for the RSA?

Like most Irish people I would consider myself too lazy to get out and protest against political decisions but if this country fails to learn from the UK's (openly admitted!!) mistakes and does become plagued with these revenue generators, I would give serious thought to getting up off my arse and attempting to do something about it.

I think you missed the intent of my post, which was a picture of a fishing boat trolling....

Trust me, talking to this one.... it'll be like talking to a brick wall that's sneakily laughing at you for it. It's not worth the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

Well I for one will be very happy when we have in this :rolleyes: State, A cruel Draconian approach to Speeders and other Road offenders:mad:. Massive fines and Ultra long driving bans, even prison sentences:D. Bring it on NOW! Im sick of reading about Donegal like incidents and I dont want to be involved in such a tradegy:(. Just look at what was left of the two cars, Chasis's.:eek:
    On your heads be it! Speed and Ignorance KILLS.:rolleyes::eek::mad::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Just saw these marking yesterday - on a down hill section too :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Im sick of reading about Donegal like incidents and I dont want to be involved in such a tradegy:(. Just look at what was left of the two cars, Chasis's.:eek:
    The point many on the thread are making, and that I would agree with, is that a speed camera on the m50 does very little to prevent incidents like the one in Donegal. Given that there is limited resources available, would it not be better to focus those resources on things which may make a significant difference?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

stevenmu wrote: »
    The point many on the thread are making, and that I would agree with, is that a speed camera on the m50 does very little to prevent incidents like the one in Donegal. Given that there is limited resources available, would it not be better to focus those resources on things which may make a significant difference?
    +1

Speed cameras on motorways/dual carriageways = revenue generating
    Speed cameras on twisty country roads = safety conscious, but generate less revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Can anyone accurately point these out on a map?

Are they before the Knocklyon exit or the Tallaght exit? Or both? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Before Firhouse exit on the downhill slightly twisty bit - youll know your about to reach it because you will see all the traffic ahead braking wildly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

voxpop wrote: »
    Before Firhouse exit on the downhill slightly twisty bit - youll know your about to reach it because you will see all the traffic ahead braking wildly
    And thats another reason why I hate speed cameras on motorways. They promote the above action. If we all drove correctly there should be no need to brake at all on a motorway, just accelarate and decelerate when appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

duff123 wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed the new line markings that appeared overnightbefore Tallaght. Think there was one here before roadworks started, looks like its coming back!

isnt tallaght southbound ,

there is one northbound however ,coming to the end of the m50 , but the camera isnt there as of yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Well I for one will be very happy when we have in this :rolleyes: State, A cruel Draconian approach to Speeders and other Road offenders:mad:. Massive fines and Ultra long driving bans, even prison sentences:D. Bring it on NOW! Im sick of reading about Donegal like incidents and I dont want to be involved in such a tradegy:(. Just look at what was left of the two cars, Chasis's.:eek:

"Ignorance KILLS", very appropiate in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

So... can we just maybe ban that guy instead of replying, he is clearly just trolling in every single post? Prolly an Alt of someone already posting here, just taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Meanwile in noel dempsey's office:

noeldempsey.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Supercell wrote: »
    **** off jock101, people like you don't save lives, they cost them.

Please take a deep breath before posting again. Attack the post, not the poster.

seamus wrote: »
    Can anyone accurately point these out on a map?

Are they before the Knocklyon exit or the Tallaght exit? Or both? :eek:

I'm pretty sure it's right here.
    Matt Simis wrote: »
    So... can we just maybe ban that guy instead of replying, he is clearly just trolling in every single post? Prolly an Alt of someone already posting here, just taking the piss.

Jock101 doesn't show up as a re-reg, and is acting within the Charter. If people believe he's a troll, the best thing they can do is to refrain from engaging with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

or you could change the J in Jock to a C for us.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

stevenmu wrote: »

What resources can make a difference though.. Im stuck to think of a sure way to get through to people.. Bar having a garda car every km on every stretch of road in the country..

In donegal didnt they bring teens out to A&E rooms and show them crashed cars and videos of crash scenes.. didnt seem to make a difference to those few.

But yeah M50 camera is gonna be a pain.. im a fairly careful driver and keep to the limits but its the idiots that slam on the brakes as soon as they see the white markings...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

So is it now 3 speed cameras? One at the M1 interchange, one after the Firhouse exit and one between Sandyford and Ballyboden?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

What resources can make a difference though.. Im stuck to think of a sure way to get through to people.. Bar having a garda car every km on every stretch of road in the country..

In donegal didnt they bring teens out to A&E rooms and show them crashed cars and videos of crash scenes.. didnt seem to make a difference to those few.

It was making a difference until the crash at the weekend. One of the TV interviews with a local counciller said they had halfed the deat rate in the last couple of years.
    But yeah M50 camera is gonna be a pain.. im a fairly careful driver and keep to the limits but its the idiots that slam on the brakes as soon as they see the white markings...
    I wonder how many accidents are caused by this behaviour. The RSA should release accident stats at camera locations before and after installation of the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

So by that logic, When the death rate on the M50 gets high, what ever that number is, then Speed limit enforcement should be done!:rolleyes::confused:

Yes. There are several schools close to the M50 in suburban areas where DLRCC has wisely introduce 30km/h limits. I've driven around these numerous times at school closing time, and having driven in the US where they strictly enforce 20m/h school limits, have tried to drive at 30km/h. I've been tail gated by everyone and all the cars ahead of me disappear into the distance. I've never seen a speed trap here.
    Its amazing that pointing out how much people casually brake the Traffic laws in this country, endangering other people minding there own business driving correctly. Seems to get up peoples noses! Its not your safety Im worried about, its mine, my friends and family! I want proper traffic enforcement on our nations roads!

The chances of you, your family and friends or me being injured by someone speeding on the M50 are slim now with the concrete central median. We are all still vulnerable to dangerous drivers, not speeders as you don't need to be going fast to be dangerous, on all the other roads around where this speed trap is located. Yet I rarely see any Gardaí on these roads.

I'd rather see speed cameras outside your children's/nieces/nephews school where they can potentially save many lives then on a 3 lane motorway. I want to see Gardaí patrolling rural roads to catch bad drivers and doing speeders.

All that this camera is going to do is move people from a modern safe 3 lane road, where they will get fined for exceeding a limit, onto suburban roads where they won't get fined for speeding.

What's the point in building safe roads if you discourage people from driving on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Let's all be honest here, these fixed cameras won't catch regular/habitual speeders, they'll just catch non-regular users of the M50.

Anyone who doesn't speed won't be affected. Anyone who uses the M50 regularly and feels it's fine to exceed the speed limit when driving on it will continue as they were before, merely scrubbing their speed as they pass the two fixed cameras.

Tourists or people who don't use the M50 regularly will be the biggest group affected by these cameras.

These cameras will not be effective in changing the accident/death rate on the M50 in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Barrel. Fish. Shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

-Chris- wrote: »
    These cameras will not be effective in changing the accident/death rate on the M50 in any way.

I can actually see the point of the Northbound one, on the way to the M1. It's in a 4 lane section before the traffic branches off even further for the airport.

I stated in another thread that it's quite dangerous around there as you have the drivers who can't be bothered getting in the correct lane early, diving over from the outside lane to the M1 slip. This includes trucks leaving it to the last minute to move in from the M1 south slip. I've nearly had 2 x 40ft artics and 3 cars in the side of my car since that lane layout was introduced. There have been at least 2 accidents in this area since the layout was put in place.

While the camera's won't stop this behaviour, it does mean that it should be happening at lower speed so there is more time to react to people trying to drive in space which is already occupied.

I do think that the Northbound at Knocklyon is shooting fish in a barrel as it's on a downhill stretch and is one of the less congested area's. Further along towards Ballymount would be a half sensible place as you get lots of traffic heading for the N7.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 theshaft

no no, after ballymount please, i work in ballymount nd sumtimes just running a bit late lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

R.O.R wrote: »
    I can actually see the point of the Northbound one, on the way to the M1. It's in a 4 lane section before the traffic branches off even further for the airport.

I stated in another thread that it's quite dangerous around there as you have the drivers who can't be bothered getting in the correct lane early, diving over from the outside lane to the M1 slip. This includes trucks leaving it to the last minute to move in from the M1 south slip. I've nearly had 2 x 40ft artics and 3 cars in the side of my car since that lane layout was introduced. There have been at least 2 accidents in this area since the layout was put in place.

That's not as much a speed thing as it is a mixture of bandy lane layouts and crappy driving. The standard of driving on the M50 motorway in particular is shockingly poor as we all know.

There should be a merging stretch folowed by a solid barrier between the M1N, M1S Freeflow and Clarehall bound lanes. The presence of an armco or concrete barrier coupled with the 80km limit and camera would dramatically improve safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,129 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nothing more than a new set of Culchie Traps to replace the Spa Hotel camera (never saw anything other than MO/SO/G/RN/LM regs flashed there) considering that every regular driver will know where they are within a week of them going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭jaffa20

This is ridiculous for what is one of the safest roads in the country. Does anyone know where the sandyford one is? When do they come into effect anyway?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I saw the new markings on the way home today but I couldn't see any actual camera. Is it even there yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Let me get this straight. Are you motoring people against:
    (a) speedtraps or
    (b) speedtraps on allegedly "safer" roads (M50, M7, etc).

But you should know that there is a very easy way to avoid getting caught by the speed cameras: DON'T SPEED.

Personally, I have no sympathy for anyone that gets caught speeding on our roads. You were speeding, you got caught, slow down.

There are laws against breaking red lights, or driving on the wrong side of the road - which everyone adheres to. So why should there be a culture of breaking the speeding law? And no offence, but given what occurred in Donegal on Sunday night, anyone that disagrees with this is an idiot.
    **** off jock101, people like you don't save lives, they cost them.
    One of the more pathetic comments you'll read on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

MYOB wrote: »
    Nothing more than a new set of Culchie Traps to replace the Spa Hotel camera (never saw anything other than MO/SO/G/RN/LM regs flashed there) considering that every regular driver will know where they are within a week of them going up.
    This is exactly an example of the ignorant comments that you hear from speed-merchants. That camera was a perfect example of good speed-camera placement. It was placed at a point where people were at the end of a 70mph motorway, with a set of traffic lights further up the road. It slowed people down as they approached these lights from the motorway - lives were saved and injuries were prevented.

As someone said to me before: "Yes, I don't understand the point of that camera - there are never any crashes at that section of road".
    Yes - that's exactly correct...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

antodeco wrote: »
    So is it now 3 speed cameras? One at the M1 interchange, one after the Firhouse exit and one between Sandyford and Ballyboden?
    ...and about to go up to between 50 and 60 once the private operators come in later this year.

Advertisement