Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW Genuine Parts

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Fair play, they always do a good deal up in Prentice's. Nice drive up to, just try not to get stuck behind a truck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

stepbar wrote: »
    2. N Conlon & Sons, Rathangan. Price all in 650eur. The chap even offered 15% discount straight up without asking. Impressed by that. Very professional outfit. Would recommend if you couldn't be arsed driving up the north.

5. David Prentice in Portadown. I got a price from these guys back on Monday. I think the original price was 560 pounds inc VAT. Haggled it to 476 pounds which is about 566 eur all in. Bought the parts there and then.

So all in all.... I saved a whopping 342 or 406 euro (depending on what VAT rate you use). Now, I don't care what anyone says but a difference of c300 - 400 euro is absolutely outrageous.
    But - difference between €650 and €566 is only €84, no?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

esel wrote: »
    But - difference between €650 and €566 is only €84, no?

Did you miss Murphy & Gunn eh? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I'm with you on Conlans. I posted a review of them some time ago. Excellent to deal with and threw in plenty of stuff last time I got the e39 serviced there.

The 650 quote from Conlan, was that inclusive of the 15%? Otherwise its c. 552 which is cheaper than what you paid in the north.

I have to say that I have no problem throwing tax euro at UK these days but I'd definitely support a dealer that has demonstrated a cusmtomer focus.

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

4. Murphy & Gunn (the people who are doing the work use these guys). Joke of a price..... 800 + VAT (which he quoted as 21.5% but I think it should be 13.5???)..... Not interested in haggling. Bye bye :rolleyes:

No vat rate is 21.5% - its 21% now and has been since January

There is some 2/3rd rule, something like if the cost of materials are 2/3 plus of the total cost then you charge 21% rather than 13.5%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

1. McKeon Motors in Kells. Voicemail....."We are closed" yada yada yada..... Not a great start and it 10 am in the morning..... Rang a half hour later.... voicemail still on :rolleyes:

Don't think you'll get McKeon's :(

Try http://www.smpcars.com/. We had someone breakdown around that area in a 5 Series and found out by accident they are an authorised BMW service centre - presume they supply parts as well.

They were incredibly helpful and I'd recommend them to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rev2.0

2. N Conlon & Sons, Rathangan. Price all in 650eur. The chap even offered 15% discount straight up without asking. Impressed by that. Very professional outfit. Would recommend if you couldn't be arsed driving up the north.

4. Murphy & Gunn (the people who are doing the work use these guys). Joke of a price..... 800 + VAT (which he quoted as 21.5% but I think it should be 13.5???)..... Not interested in haggling. Bye bye :rolleyes:

Have been following this with interest as i used to work in a BMW Garage.. Nothing was more annoying than people who over exaggerate the difference!! :rolleyes:

Just a few points on this!

1. Are you sure the 800 was + vat? The 650 + the 15% you got off is €770 or so, factor in a difference in vat calculation and its on par? I just rang these with the same pat numbers and got €795 inc vat? (conlons offered me no discount- i feel left out now :p)

2. Vat on Car Parts bought over the counter is 21% - 13.5% is used when there is a labour element

3. Why didn't you get the garage that is doing the work to source the parts? Trade discount is 15% in most places so you would have actually saved money because they'd charge 13.5% on the total invoice rather than the you paying 21% on parts & 13.5% on labour.. Savng another 6.5% or so

4. Your exchange rate of '£476 which is about €566' Have you an actual figure you were charged in €

5. The vat rate difference between UK & IE is 3.5% currently.. So take the Irish price of €650 - 3.5% - €627 or so. Difference of €60 using your exchange rate

€20 for petrol up and back, €4 for tolls and the difference is not as bad as first made out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

@Rev2.0

The differenece doesn't need to be exaggerated in fairness. It's a schism.

Advertisement