Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a Peregrine?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

In order for a Peregrine to sit on a block, unhooded, in that situation, with no sign of distress shows that it has already been through at least a few weeks of training, so I would still say it's all part of the training process.
    I would never consider a Peregrine a 'pet' but I can see your point.
    I can only presume it's a licenced bird because I can't imagine that anybody, trying to keep a 'stolen' one under wraps, would tether it beside Portmarnock Dart station!
    Most seem to think that there was no way a bird could be legally tethered to a block and 'that' is what I was saying was legal and licenced.
    Yep, 5 licences! Regards

Hi Tiercel Dave

Well it's very refreshing to see someone in this country for someone be so frank & open about something that always seemed a bit cloak & dagger and something of a well-kept secret. Fair play, it is the best defence of all.

The reason I questioned the five was in relation to the total number of professional/competent falconers in the country. Five a year must get pretty close to one for everyone in the audience in a few years. Where are they all going? Can the birds taken from the wild be sold on & traded within licenced falconry? Can they be exported under a CITES licence?

LostCovey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Do the take the whole clutch or do they take one bird from a clutch (the youngest and least likely to survive)???

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Hello LostCovey, most into Falconry don't seek out publicity that's why it may seem to be a closed group. Birds tend to fly and perform better with only a small entourage of followers, between 4 and 6 people is more than sufficient to make up a party. Goshawks are usually even more sulky, limiting the party to 'one man and his dog'. Birds flown at 'shows' are not necessarily good Falconry birds, and in my opinon are most likely not, but that's how those with an interest get to experience and appreciate Falcons and Hawks up close. Shows can also help with educating, as to the folly of poisons etc. in relation to raptors.
    I've no idea how many Falconers there are in Ireland, I would hazard a guess at 250-300!!! To be eligible for a 'Wild Take' Peregrine licence, one needs a certain level of competance, and again a wild guess of say 100, so you can see how often you might expect your name to come out of the NPWS hat!
    Of this years 5 licences I only know of 4 that were taken, but again correct me if needs be. A CITES cert, A10, will have to be applied for and this will stipulate certain conditions in relation to the keeping and passing on of the bird. Normally a wild taken Peregrine has to remain in the possession of the 'taker' for at least a year, cannot be sold or used for public display and will need the sanction of the NPWS if it is to be passed on after that time.
    Hope that clears up a few points. Regards

There must be at least 3 young in the nest and only 1 is taken. The 'taker' is accompanied by the NPWS Wildlife Ranger of that area throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Kess73 wrote: »
    The OP has already posted that it was left there are part of a pet to work day. So the version of it being a bird being trained looks like a no no.

Sorry, I was just being humorous. There was no "pet to work day"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Hello LostCovey, most into Falconry don't seek out publicity that's why it may seem to be a closed group. Birds tend to fly and perform better with only a small entourage of followers, between 4 and 6 people is more than sufficient to make up a party. Goshawks are usually even more sulky, limiting the party to 'one man and his dog'. Birds flown at 'shows' are not necessarily good Falconry birds, and in my opinon are most likely not, but that's how those with an interest get to experience and appreciate Falcons and Hawks up close. Shows can also help with educating, as to the folly of poisons etc. in relation to raptors.
    I've no idea how many Falconers there are in Ireland, I would hazard a guess at 250-300!!! To be eligible for a 'Wild Take' Peregrine licence, one needs a certain level of competance, and again a wild guess of say 100, so you can see how often you might expect your name to come out of the NPWS hat!
    Of this years 5 licences I only know of 4 that were taken, but again correct me if needs be. A CITES cert, A10, will have to be applied for and this will stipulate certain conditions in relation to the keeping and passing on of the bird. Normally a wild taken Peregrine has to remain in the possession of the 'taker' for at least a year, cannot be sold or used for public display and will need the sanction of the NPWS if it is to be passed on after that time.
    Hope that clears up a few points. Regards

Thanks Tiercel Dave, very clear. A very simple way to dispel misplaced fears.

Fair do's

LostCovey

Thanks yourself LostCovey, just happy to clear up a few points!

A little story on the fate of one of the Falcon chicks taken (legally) from the Peregrines in Hollywood Wicklow. The falconer's house was less than two miles from the Peregrine nest and this was where he took the chick. He was training his peregrine in the field outside his house (at a later date), when a large female Peregrine landed on a post around 100 metres from the young peregrine. The young peregrine (male) flew towards the female bird. They perched side by side for a while and they both flew off together. The young peregrine never came back to the falconer:D

Did he not have telemetry Feargal?

Did he not have telemetry Feargal?
    Like a GPS? I don't know. They think the female might have been the parent. I wasn't there when it happened.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The young peregrine never came back to the falconer:D
    things fall apart, the centre cannot hold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Feargal what do you have against falconry??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i assume he prefers to see a peregrine out in the wild rather than kept as a pet, because that would be my reaction.

So you dont agree with the sport/past time then?

it's not something which keeps me awake at night.

I know what ya mean, i was only askin because feargal has :mad: in a few of his comments and i was wondering what the problem was

i assume he prefers to see a peregrine out in the wild rather than kept as a pet, because that would be my reaction.
    Yes that is it.

Also unregulated Falconry in some countries is a threat to wild raptor populations. The threat is greater with highly prized falconry birds such as Gyrfalcons. Here's a link:
    http://www.europeanraptors.org/raptors/gyrfalcon.html

Another birds which are greatly threatened by falconry are the rare saker falcon and lanner falcon:

http://www.europeanraptors.org/raptors/lanner_falcon.html

http://www.europeanraptors.org/raptors/saker_falcon.html

Hi Feargal, not a GPS system, they are only being developed at the moment. Basically a transmitter that can be detected at about 20-25 miles, line of sight. Anybody that flies a Falcon, and more especially a Peregrine without a tracking device deserves to lose it. As a Peregrine is being trained and is getting to a certain level of fitness you have to 'up' their weight. As you 'up' their weight the bond between you and the bird weakens. For a Peregrine to perform at it's best, it will be high in weight and if it puts in a drive can be gone in a matter of seconds.
    Can I give you my 2cents as regards the tale. A young Peregrine taken from a nest would be no older than 5 weeks 'cause any later and they would tend to jump. A Peregrine would be fully feathered at 12 weeks and to get as far as flying free would be a further 3 weeks. So it would be at least 10 weeks since it's mother, the Falcon, had seen it and the maternal bond would have been long broken. When a bird being trained is spotted by a wild Falcon it's not a paternal/maternal response that's triggered but one of pure aggression as the resident bird tries to drive the interloper out of the county if not into the ground!
    A Peregrine is master of the skies and I would find it very strange indeed if a wild bird came down and perched on a post, with the Falconer in attendance, a very high pylon maybe, but even that stretches the imagination.
    One problem when flying a Bird of Prey is that any resident birds will appear from nowhere to defend their territory. To fly a Peregrine within range of a known territory is pure folly 'cause a young trained bird will have no hope of outflying a resident wild bird. Trying to visualise the two birds flying off over the Horizon beggars belief!
    If the Peregrine was lost fairly, no harm was done. By 'fairly' I mean furnished with jesses that have no slits, so no chance of getting snagged. Aylmeri jesses can be removed by the Falcon, and they'd have them gone in 2 or 3 days. Bells don't hamper a Falcon's ability to fly or kill and again if fairly fitted, ie leather bewits not cable ties, they will be gone in a couple of months. Assuming all was as it should be,not only was no harm done but the wild population has actually benefited. The amount of food available in a territory is what normally determines how successful a nest is and now we have an extra bird raised, and hopefully flying free. A learning curve for all involved! Dave

Thanks for info Dave:)
    Would it not be possible for the Peregrine Female to remember the chick (providing it was the parent) ?. I know they are different species but in Donegal when the Golden eagles have two chicks, they remove one chick. That chick is fostered to Harris Hawks and then at a later date the bird was returned to the nest. The Golden eagle parents accepted the bird...

Once a Peregrine is sitting on a brood it's possible to slip in another 1 or 2 young of a similar age as long as there is sufficient food available. Once the young have left the nest however the aggression response is what would be shown to any tresspassers. I'd hazzard a guess and say the parent bond is gone after about 2 weeks apart. Around the nest there is a 'no kill' zone, the female walks rather stiffly with her talons bunched so as not to damage eggs or young birds, 'eyasses' (as we call 'em) A better plan for the eagles, would be to foster the 2nd one to another nest where the eggs were infertile, and then both young would have a better chance of surviving. The foster pair would then think that they have been successful and the pair-bond would be given a hugh boost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement