Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wearing Earplugs to Rock and Metal Gigs

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Never used them myself, hearing is pretty alright and the only time I've had any hearing problems were after Muse in Marlay '08 (in that sweet spot where the subs blow your ears off) and at Metallica in Marlay '09...same crowd spot actually lol, 4 rows from centre stage:pac:

I wonder how the ears will be after Sepultura on Sunday:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Had ringing ears for about a week after Napalm Death in the red Box in 2000-ish. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

I wonder how the ears will be after Sepultura on Sunday:D

Im using this gig as a test actually, I remember comin out of the Kyuss gig for a smoke and barely hearing a girl say "My ears havent even popped yet!," ... "bollocks," I thought..

My ears were ringin for a good three days after that one, althought I did spend the whole of the Howlin Widow set, standing right in front of the bass drum.. So yeah, lets see how it goes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

I wore them for the first time when I went to see ACDC in Tampere last month. Was surprised at how well and clearly I could hear the music. And it also blocked out the noise of people standing around me trying to sing. And the BIG plus was no ringing in the ears afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

ozzy jr wrote: »
    If it's too loud, you're too old.

Ear plugs :rolleyes: ffs lads, get a grip will ya. You'll be wearing shades next because of those bright lights they sometimes have at gigs.
    If these gigs sound normal to you, you must be as deaf as the bloke behind the mixing desk. It's a vicious circle that explains why the sound is so crap these days. I learned my lesson with Black Sabbath at Sun City in 1987, so earplugs it is. They're my ears, and if anyone want to laugh at me, at least I'll be able to hear them laugh.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 inkyglide

I think one of the loudest bands I ever saw was Motorhead. I was deaf for like 2 weeks after that gig lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

about a third of the gigs i go to in dublin are well over legal decibel levels, the other third are too low.and the rest are just right...e.g. soulfly in academy was perfect...

im in a band so i got the silcone moulded plugs (e150) in bonovox....they are good cos they lower vol rather than muffle (like the foam ones) it and they have saved my hearing a couple of times....

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Im using this gig as a test actually, I remember comin out of the Kyuss gig for a smoke and barely hearing a girl say "My ears havent even popped yet!," ... "bollocks," I thought..

My ears were ringin for a good three days after that one, althought I did spend the whole of the Howlin Widow set, standing right in front of the bass drum.. So yeah, lets see how it goes :D
    So how are the ears today then? :D Mine are grand lol! It was a good test for ya anyway:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

If you suffer from tinnitus you are suffering ear damage.

Anyone use these earpugs ( the high fidelity ones) in loud pubs - does it make it easier, or harder, to hear people talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

So how are the ears today then? :D Mine are grand lol! It was a good test for ya anyway:pac:

I was grand after that night, the lad behind the sound table got it spot on :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

my tinnitus is fairly bad, practice drumming all the time in a small room and listen to music at fairly high volumes. when i go to sleep all i can hear is EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...all the time.

so yes ear plugs are most definitely on the agenda!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I've been going to more and more concerts over the past couple of years, and particularly this summer, in fairly close proximity (Airbourne, Dropkicks, KISS, Pearl Jam, Slash, Maiden) and am always very close to the front or at the front. Before I've always treated the ringing as a temporary problem that lasts a day but ever since maybe PJ, when I go to bed and all is quiet I can hear a light ringing from my left ear and so I've become pretty concerned about it and will definitly be picking up a pair before the next concert.
    The worst thing is about maybe 2 months earlier I had a saftey training day for work (stage crew stuff) and the guy giving the talk mentioned the ringing and said it can become permanent and that with some people it became so bad that there have been suicides over it, just not being able to cope with the constant ringing but of course I didn't listen.

I always assumed wearing plugs would defeat the point of the gig altogether but reading peoples' posts here it seems I'm wrong and then you can still have a quality experience with them.

I don't have anything coming up till October now but where would you get a decent pair (online or off) and how much would they set you back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

My brother has a band and I was visiting their place to hear some live music, and they do play quite loud.

I put the yellow, cheap plugs in my ears and yes, they do work but they also cut quite much of the sounds away, I was about 1 meter from my brother, who played guitar and I did not hear anything what he was playing,

so between the songs I took them away and was able to hear properly, but the power of the sound did not do any good to my ears tough, good thing is that no permanent damage.

However I have heard that proper earplugs do wonders and for instance Iron Maiden at 02 arena was a bit too loud for me, so ear plugs would be nice.

If I would visit gigs more often, I would definitely get a proper ear plugs, damaging your hearing for some band is not really worth of doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

grimm2005 wrote: »
    I don't have anything coming up till October now but where would you get a decent pair (online or off) and how much would they set you back?

You could get a pair of disposable ear plugs for pocket money, and provided your not using them for swimming, you can probably use them for 4 or 5 gigs each...maybe more...you get about 3 in a pack. Check Boots, standard Orange ear plugs, would be your best bet and do actually work. You don't need to go into debt for this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

yeah for about a fiver i get a pack of 3 in the chemist.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quies-Protection-Auditive-Earplugs-35dB-3/dp/B001E5CF3K

Those ones there, they work grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

my tinnitus is fairly bad, practice drumming all the time in a small room and listen to music at fairly high volumes. when i go to sleep all i can hear is EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...all the time.

so yes ear plugs are most definitely on the agenda!

It never seemed to be a problem for me when I was young, now that I'm a bit older I wish I had used earplugs more often as I have that high pitched noise permanantly going on, even if I haven't been to a gig in a while.

You could get a pair of disposable ear plugs for pocket money, and provided your not using them for swimming, you can probably use them for 4 or 5 gigs each...maybe more...you get about 3 in a pack. Check Boots, standard Orange ear plugs, would be your best bet and do actually work. You don't need to go into debt for this

ah ok, are they the sort of squishy ones? I thought they would have been too cheap and would distort the sound too much but I guess not. I've seen them backstage at a few gigs i've worked but never bothered to try them.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Due to Machine Head I'm going to start, haven't been to a gig since then though so I haven't tried.

That was one if not the loudest gig i was ever at (great acoustics IMO), I saw them in Belfast the following night and and it wasn't that loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

Loud gigs killed my hearing. Im young free and sin......SORRY WHAT DID
    YOU SAY??? I wear them and so should everyone. you can get special gig ones made for bout €100

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Anyone got any recommendations for where to buy some good gig earplugs in Dublin?
    I would pick up ones in a local chemist but they look like glorified cotton buds without the plastic stick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

I've been using earplugs for a few months and found it's greatly improved the sound at most gigs I've been to. I removes all the white noise and treble and leaves you with the main "body" of the sound.
    It's way more comfortable on the ears and I always wear them except for the odd time I forget them. Not destroying your ears is a bonus too.
    I just use cheap foam ones btw, although I'm thinking of upgrading to the professionally made ones.

I've been using earplugs for a few months and found it's greatly improved the sound at most gigs I've been to. I removes all the white noise and treble and leaves you with the main "body" of the sound.
    It's way more comfortable on the ears and I always wear them except for the odd time I forget them. Not destroying your ears is a bonus too.
    I just use cheap foam ones btw, although I'm thinking of upgrading to the professionally made ones.

Absolutely. I went to a Metallica gig a few years ago and had ear plugs in for it. As you said it reduced the white noise and the ears werent ringing for days after. A friend has the professional ones and says they're the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Could have used some at a boards pub meet on the weekend, heh :) (though wouldn't have helped with me having to ask 'WHAT??' after every sentence)

How much are the professional ones? Are they the specialized ones which directly attenuate specific frequencies?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

I always carry a pair around in my wallet. I've grown pretty used to wearing them, I hate going to gigs without them. I value my hearing and would like to try and preserve it as much as I can, as a musician I could damage them too easily with drums and loud guitars.
    When I started wearing them a few years ago the odd person would be giving me grief for having them in but not so much anymore.

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Reckon I'll start wearing them soon as the ringing seems to last for days now,
    the gel ones are pretty good ...just a pity they don't make them in black!:o

Though I'd dig this thread up to mention that HMV on grafton st. have a pair of own brand high fidelity ER-20 earplugs on sale for €5.99. I don't know anything about them but the description on the back described them as for musicians and concert goers. Didn't see what they looked like either as they were inside a little case inside the box but gonna pick up a pair tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Though I'd dig this thread up to mention that HMV on grafton st. have a pair of own brand high fidelity ER-20 earplugs on sale for €5.99. I don't know anything about them but the description on the back described them as for musicians and concert goers. Didn't see what they looked like either as they were inside a little case inside the box but gonna pick up a pair tomorrow

This is excellent, it means HMV are obviously looking at this seriously and looking at the fact that concert attendees want to take this kind of thing seriously and are looking at the future as well as enjoying themselves on the night.

Just to give you a picture, here they are

Er20clearblue.jpg&t=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

I'll be picking up a pair soon so.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Have a pair of the ones from the chemist, will definitely be wearing them to my next gig to protect whatever's left of my hearing.

Actually, come to think of it my next gig is Supertramp in the o2 - maybe that'll be ok :p

• Advertisement

Just got a pair today, very same type as in motley's post (the white version). Havn't tried them (have joe satriani next month so they will get properly tested then!) but they look very discreet and mostly transparent, with a seperate small black cord that connects them (i'm sure this is optional to use) so you're unlikely to get any dodgy looks while wearing them i'd say. Also come with a handy little carrying case.

Also, i got these in henry st. branch so I'm sure this is nationwide. The usual price is €11.99 but it looks like one of those long term offers.

Advertisement