Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wearing Earplugs to Rock and Metal Gigs

Options
  • 13-07-2010 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

I've started wearing ear plugs to the odd gig, especially when I go and see new bands in small clubs, I've found with meetings the following morning and everything else life throws at you that it's wise not to have a ringing in your ears for 2 days due to a bad sound-man.

Does anyone else follow this practice, out of curiosity, and try some ear plugs during a concert....and if so, does it help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yep, ear plugs are generally a good idea. Sometimes I'm lazy and forget them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Never used them.

I'm hardcore!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

lord lucan wrote: »
    I'm hardcore!:D

....and Deaf perhaps lol ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Never once done it.

Ive been at a couple ('tallica marlay pk in 09 for instance) where the sound was so bad I wished I had though :p

Why pay to hear a gig through earplugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I find the best viewing spot (that's also safest for a titch like me) is left or right of the stage at the front barrier. Though, this is usually where a huge speaker is, and though the vibrations do feel lovely, it can be a bit much on the ear drums. So ear plugs would be a good idea.... My inner ears were itching like crazy at that little Kyuss gig! :rolleyes: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

I wear ear plugs to gigs all the time. I get the occasional strange look, which I naturally assume is due to jealousy.
    Max Power1 wrote: »
    Why pay to hear a gig through earplugs?

If you wear decent ones, it can sound a lot better.

....and Deaf perhaps lol ;)

Speak up,i can't hear you!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

WHAT?!?!

:o

Nope, never used them, and I listen to my iPod at full blast constantly... yet during check-ups my hearing is a-ok.... No idea how!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭hellyeah

wear them to most indoor gigs, especially when support acts are on and im not to bothered about them. had a medical a few years back and the doc went mad about the loss i have suffered as a result of going to gigs.
    dont notice much day to day but in a busy pub or canteen it can be hard to filter some noise out. enjoy gigs more with the plugs to be honest.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Due to Machine Head I'm going to start, haven't been to a gig since then though so I haven't tried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Don't normally bother but will start, depending on Band and size of venue.

Won't bother for Maiden at The Point in 2 weeks but i will for Limp Bizkit at the Olympia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I always forget. I have a lot of deafness in my family so its something i need to get in the habit off for indoor gigs in smaller venues. The quality of the music is actually better with plugs in. If im going to a gig for a band i really like then im not bothered. Put the volume up to 11 :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Never bothered, I had no need to. Only gig that really affected my hearing, though it was just short term, was Machine Head back in February. Damn that was loud.

Denny M wrote: »
    Never bothered, I had no need to. Only gig that really affected my hearing, though it was just short term, was Machine Head back in February. Damn that was loud.

I think everyone in the Olympia that night had their ears blown out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

earplugs mainly reduce a lot of the excess treble from the sound afaik, I haven't worn them myself but I'm sure its similar to covering your ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Its the done thing on the continent, and if you dont wear them you get funny looks. That said, I never wear them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Curse the continent, and their trends. I'll just never be hip to their groove :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Have been wearing them for a good few years to most gigs.

My mam is partially deaf in both ears & while its not directly related to listening to loud music (even though she goes to more gigs than me), I really don't want to lose my hearing over something that can be avoided!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

/looks at Nightwish funny

Sometimes it improves the sound of a gig. At Slayer in the marquee, the sound was ****e and I was actually more able to hear what was being played by putting my hands over my ears. If I had earplugs for that gig, it would have been much better.

That said, I've never worn them, but wouldn't rule out the possibility of bringing them along in ther future

• Registered Users Posts: 21,128 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I've crap hearing as it is, and keep meaning to bring them to gigs. Like others I can imagine it being like covering your ears, where it can actually sound much better. Would also depend on the band. When I see Porcupine Tree, I won't use them. If its much heavier, I easily will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

You might not believe it but the sound in Newcastle was louder...that was what prompted me to start wearing them

Sepultura in Newcastle last night was so much better as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Hockney

Yeah it was bordering on criminal that night in fairness. You shouldn't have to bring fvcking PPE to a music gig. Cabbages.

I'm convinced it's done me permanent damage, I still hear a high pitched ringing in a quiet room, had a hearing test just before it so I must get it redone and see.

Anyway I'll be packing them from now on, anyone got any recommendations on decent earplugs with filter out the bad stuff (like Rob Flynns pointless feedback), and don't take from the overall sound much?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭hellyeah

^ i use the throw away yellow sponge ones if that makes sense.
    you can pick up a pack of 20 on amazon for about a fiver.:D
    loudest gig i was at was def lepard at the olympia about 10 years ago.
    serious damage done there.:mad: one of the first gigs i ever went to.
    cant understand why bands have to play so loud that its un-comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

If it's too loud, you're too old.

Ear plugs :rolleyes: ffs lads, get a grip will ya. You'll be wearing shades next because of those bright lights they sometimes have at gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Nightwish wrote: »
    Its the done thing on the continent, and if you dont wear them you get funny looks. That said, I never wear them.

True, I saw AC/DC in Germany a couple of weeks ago and I was surprised at how many people were wearing them.

I have a pair but I've yet to bring them to a gig. Might start bringing them just in case. I think the damage has already been done though, pretty much since Motorhead in '83 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

After said machine head gig i always make sure to have a pair in my pocket incase theyre stupidly loud.

How much money would people make if they had a stand selling disposable ones for a few quid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Einstein

all you peeps that don't wear ear plugs at gigs and say its better...well ye know that ringing that lasts till the next morning?..thats the onset of tinnitus due to the exposure to frequencies that aren't meant to be exposed to us at that kind of volume.

Your damaging your hearing...simple as....

I've often worn earplugs to nightclubs...more subtle white silicone ones though...I'm also a drummer to a little more wary of my hearing...and I have no doubt htat I've done my ears damage over the years...

Its just not worth it...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I'll have you know I still have the hearing of an owl and the reflexes of a mongoose after years of going to gigs and listening to music at a loud volume:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I'll have you know I still have the hearing of an owl and the reflexes of a mongoose after years of going to gigs and listening to music at a loud volume:p

what was that?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Not wearing ear plugs at a gig? You are doing it wrong. They improve the sound and mean you will be going to gigs and listening to music for a lot longer. This idea it is metal and/or hard to go deaf as early as possible is retarded. To be fair I don't really care what others do but jaysus get proper headphones for your digital music player, tinny versions of all types of music are **** :D

Also these?
    http://www.safewearuk.com/big_pics%5Cfoam_ear_plugs.jpg
    Crap, they just reduce the noise and muffle the sound, don't bother

A pair of these (or similar) are worth their weight in gold:
    http://thereisnobox.scullionsoftware.com/shops/productimages/1/5e811d2b-00d0-4c9c-99ee-e2a232bbf25e.jpg

I buy them from http://www.allearplugs.com but I know HMV do branded versions here in the UK for £10 if you want to get 'em in a shop but have no idea how good they are or if Irish HMV's do 'em.

Advertisement