Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition: Variations on a theme 5 (Bad Romance)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭ToasterSparks

Seriously? Only 10 days since this competition started?

I want to read the submissions and I want to read them now! When I submit an early entry the time always seems to drag until the closing date. :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I still haven't got a chance to write anything more than an opening paragraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I've got nothing yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Neither have I.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Don't have many entries as yet, but there's still 9 days to go, so hoping to get a lot more in the meantime. :)

• Advertisement

I decided not to open my To Do list this morning and wrote the whole thing in one go. Editing it seemed a bit like cheating :D

Now to do some work.

Anyone I've received a submission from should now have a PM from me confirming I've received it - so if you don't have one and you should, please drop me a PM!

Thanks for all the submissions so far, this should be a fun competition. :)

Bringing my A4 pad with me to work tonight and hopefully it'll be quiet enough that I can get a decent start on this story...

A decent start? Don't do that - you might end up with a readable story!

How many entries now Aoibheann?

• Advertisement

I was just going to bump this to remind people that the competition closes at midnight on July 31st, but thankfully you got there first! :D

I've still only got three entries, so guys if you're considering entering the competition, PLEASE do so. It's fun, you'll get feedback on your entries from the lovely regulars of Creative Writing and you might even win.. Although maybe the accolade of Best Bad Romance isn't that appealing. :P

Only a couple of days to go now!

Badger all the previous entrants by PM?

If I do manage to get an entry in this month, it's gonna be a last minute job..

pickarooney: It's tempting, although I'm worried I may come off a tad creepy.. :P

CaptainNegative: Ah g'wan, it'll be a laugh. :)

Aoibheann wrote: »
    CaptainNegative: Ah g'wan, it'll be a laugh. :)

I want to, but I'm a bit strapped for time these days, so it depends on if I can actually get an hour to sit down and write...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭ToasterSparks

Anyone else get the feeling that the VOAT interest is waning? Private writer's group FTW!

And another entry received! \o/ There's still 3 days including the 31st so there's loads of time left.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've still just written the intro and need to flesh it out into a story. Will give it some serious thought this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

I always submit mine a few hours/minutes before the deadline.

If someone sends me a PM early on Friday saying something along the lines of;

"Cop the f*ck on and write something for the Bad Romance competition!"

I'll probably get something in... I need the motivation... Shame the prize isn't a date - that'd convince me to get the ball rolling... ;):D joke :D

• Advertisement

If someone sends me a PM early on Friday saying something along the lines of;

I'll probably get something in... I need the motivation... Shame the prize isn't a date - that'd convince me to get the ball rolling... ;):D joke :D

kinda

date.jpg

I know its late in the day to be asking for clarification, but I just had a thought. Do our entries have to be OTT love stories, or is the "romance" of the title more a reference to the genre of writing itself? For example, Frankenstein is a gothic romance, but not a bodice-ripper.

Sort of nervous now. Maybe I should just post it on its own in a different thread.

I'd have thought your standard woeful Mills and Boon-style, but I wouldn't be sure tbh. :/

You've all still got until midnight tonight, so hopefully we'll get a few more entries! :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Antilles wrote: »
    Sort of nervous now. Maybe I should just post it on its own in a different thread.
    Publish and be damned. :D G'wan, youve done it now, just enter it.

Still haven't started, but I'm not giving up until the clock strikes twelve...
    If I had the faintest idea of what to write, I'd probably get on better...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Still haven't started, but I'm not giving up until the clock strikes twelve...
    If I had the faintest idea of what to write, I'd probably get on better...

You asked. :)

Not gonna make the deadline for this one folks... :(
    Real life got in the way unfortunately...
    Looking forward to reading the entries though...

• Advertisement

Less than two hours now guys.. Hopefully we'll get a few more submissions, otherwise it'll be a small competition! :(

Advertisement